Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭MentalMario

Just on the whole Villa players on the beach/won't care about beating City for Liverpool/most are good friends with Jackie-boy, Stevie G came in there and turned them from relegation contenders to a team that has a chance of getting a top 10 finish. They'll want to put in a decent shift for the gaffer for all he has done with them this year.

They may also be incentivised to finish in the top 10 too with bonuses too. I suspect they are, and that's why they've haven't been on the beach recently.

In saying all that, if City perform, they win the league. If City score first, they win the league. If City score early, they win by 3+. However, if it's 0-0, 1-1, or 2-2 at 60 mins, or by some miracle Villa are winning, there's a real chance that they blow it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

City/Liverpool is on a list of fixtures that aren't allowed on the final day (or indeed at Christmas time or the first few weeks of the season etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

But if Villa cannot field a full strength team for both games, wouldn't it make more sense to go full strength in the game they're more likely to win (Burnley) and play a weakened side against City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

James Milner is a bona fide Liverpool legend, which takes something given how many clubs he was at before us.

Ran midfield yesterday. plugged the gap at RB when needed. went into T2000 mode when his ankle refused to break when it should have.

kept standards high - bollocked Taki for a silly choice of pass.

he's worth keeping for another year even if he only plays a dozen times. most of his value is quite blatantly in the standards he sets, and the humility with which he goes about his business.

greatest free transfer we have ever had. and i don't think it's close.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

Boris Johnson and Jurgen Klopp could not be starker. The Liverpool manager would make a great statesman. He is honest, takes responsibility, cares about people in worse situations than himself and does his best to contribute to a wider society. The British Prime Minister is the polar opposite.

When Klopp talks politics, it makes sense. When Johnson pontificates about football, it’s more of the same bluster and b******s that has characterised his entire career. According to certain sections of the media, Johnson “slapped down” Klopp because the 54-year-old suggested it might be worth at least exploring the reasons why Liverpool fans booed the English national anthem and the Queen’s grandson before the FA Cup final on Saturday.

A spokesman said the Prime Minister disagreed with Klopp and called the behaviour of the supporters a “great shame.” It takes some fairly deranged spin to see this as a slap-down. Klopp probably hasn’t even noticed he’s supposed to have been put in his place.

Like Klopp and Johnson, those who booed the anthem and those who were angered by the jeering are unlikely to find common ground. Will there ever be a time when Liverpool supporters embrace the patriotic experience?

The Prime Minister’s spokesman talked about shame, an emotion Johnson knows little about. He hasn’t any. Or empathy. The Spectator’s attack on Merseyside when under the 57-year-old’s editorship in 2004 is well known. The editorial column said that the people of Liverpool “see themselves whenever possible as victims, and resent their victim status; yet at the same time they wallow in it.” The article went on to repeat lies about Hillsborough.

What is less well known is Johnson’s supposed mea culpa in the next edition of The Spectator Headlined ‘What I Should Say Sorry For,” the piece was written from “a cold, damp three-star hotel in Liverpool” after the old Etonian was ordered to travel north to apologise by Michael Howard, who was then the leader of the Conservative Party (and a Liverpool fan, much to the embarrassment of many Kopites).

“Operation Scouse-grovel,” as the author describes it, is as obscene as the previous editorial. Johnson doubled down. He wrote: “Whatever its mistakes of facts and taste, for which I am sorry, last week’s leading article made a good point: about bogus sentiment, self-pity, risk, and our refusal to see that we may sometimes be the authors of our misfortunes.”

Almost every week, Liverpool supporters hear the echo of the words of the man who holds the highest political office in the UK. “You killed your own fans.” “Always the victims.” “The Sun was right, you’re murderers.” Is there a more “bogus sentiment” than becoming emotional about a national anthem?

The Fans Supporting Foodbanks initiative was founded outside Goodison Park and Anfield – it often gets overlooked that Evertonians are on the receiving end of anti-Scouse invective, too.

Supporters of club after club come to Merseyside and rejoice in songs that mock poverty. Some Chelsea fans were chanting about hunger on Saturday. The Liverpool end booed institutional, inherited privilege. Guess which one the nation was outraged by? That was two days before the Governor of the Bank of England warned of “apocalyptic” rises in food prices.

Hunger is at the centre of the historic perception of the people of Liverpool. The port, once known as ‘Torytown’ and ‘the second city of the empire,’ first fell out of step with the rest of England after the Potato Famine. Millions of starving Irish landed on the banks of the Mersey. Many stayed. The “othering” of Liverpool stretches back to the mid-19th century.

What does this have to do with football? A lot. The word ‘Scouse’ is an insult that was re-appropriated by those it was used against. In the poorest areas of Liverpool a century ago, the malnourished residents – who were the children of immigrants and who mainly identified as Irish – relied on soup kitchens and cheap street vendors for food. What they were served was Scouse, a watery stew. Scouser was a pejorative term used to mock the poorest. When “Feed the Scousers,” echoes around stadiums, it is expressing a deep folk memory that is imbued with anti-migrant and anti-Irish sentiment. Those chanting it may not be conscious of the history, but the driving forces for their behaviour can be traced back down many decades.

Nowhere else is poverty sneered at in this way by outsiders. No one sings ‘Feed the Geordies’ or ‘Feed the Mancs’ even though other places have more deprived areas. No wonder citizens of Liverpool are triggered by the chants.

And then we get to Hillsborough. Britain should still be in a state of uproar about the 1989 disaster that led to the deaths of 97 people. Senior policemen and high-level politicians lied about what happened, covered up the mistakes of officials and threw the blame at innocent supporters.

The national press, by and large, amplified the Establishment narrative or failed to provide adequate scrutiny of the authorities. A substantial percentage of the British public still will not accept the findings of the longest, most exhaustive inquests in the country’s history. To cap it all, the policemen responsible for the mass death and the cover-up were acquitted of any wrongdoing – even after some of those individuals admitted their culpability in legal settings.

Play that anthem again so we can all join in.

The events of the weekend illustrated just how toxic the attitudes towards Hillsborough have become. Family members of the dead were abused heavily on social media by trolls.

So what would it take to stop Liverpool supporters interrupting the national anthem? There’s a simple answer: don’t play it.

And we don’t want to hear any complaints about Scousers not showing respect. The booing is a cry for justice, for equality, a howl against hunger and poverty. It is depressing that so many in Britain cannot hear that. Klopp heard it. Johnson never will.

https://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/jurgen-klopp-again-showing-the-class-that-boris-johnson-clearly-lacks-41661074.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Athletic reporting Gomez should be fit for the champions league final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Minamino who is like 8th choice forward has 9 goals this season. That's mad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

The  villa motivation is irrelevant , if city perform to their potential they will win at a canter.

The only hope is that the pressure gets to them. The fact Villa are playing tomorrow doesn't help either. I think city will be 3 up by half time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I thought that was an exceptionally well written and researched post for a boardsie to come up with and almost disappointed to see the link at the end. Still a great read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I didn't know that. What's the thinking behind it? Is it because the ratings are big at those times anyway so keep the big games for quieter weeks?

• Advertisement

So now Mane isn't heading Munich it's PSG.

Gini should help him settle in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Sure I would be fit enough to sit on the bench myself 😎

I'll be honest it would be a hard pick between yourself or Gomez coming on for an injured TAA but I think I'd go with Milner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

I’m not sure it is a thing…. We started with Arsenal a few years ago and Chelsea too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Then why doesn't he start?? Is it because he's seen as a weak personality, not man enough, easy to push aside. When everyone is fit, and a squad is getting picked, he's the first one on the leave out list.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

It's because there are other players better than him.

Weak personality.... not man enough.... easy to push aside.... drivel.

more I think about it the more I think Gerrard should start himself against City, preferably on horseback. Go in for a heavy tackle on KDB early on let them all know they're up for it.

I genuinely can't see Villa getting anything out of the game, it's the hope that kills you and I did the lottery for years I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

They’ve no need to go weak in either of them. They’ve had nothing like the fixture pile up we had… they can well manage to put out two strong teams.

I’d expect it’ll be the same as the last time they had 2 games a couple days apart - 2 changes. Chambers and Buendia started the first, Nakamba and Coutinho started the second.

It will be interesting to see who PGMOL put in charge of the games on Sunday and who they have on VAR for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

That Matip lad turned out on in the end as well....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

He also generally gets to play against weaker opposition which is helping with his goals to minutes ratio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

For Christmas/bank holidays, and the first few weeks of the season it's to do mainly with security I think - a lot of the people needed to run a game (police, transport) will be on annual holiday so high-profile fixtures are a no-no.

For the end of the season I'm not sure what the reason is.

This Daily Mail article (which links to the original paywalled Times article) has a few ideas.

Premier League TV dossier reveals they arrange matches so top six sides DON'T clash on some weekends | Daily Mail Online

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tinpib

I was talking about the difference between Martin Tyler and Peter Drury during the game last night and I see there is a post on Reddit comparing them directly on Matip's goal.

I know we have a specific issue with Tyler but I really don't know how the genuine neutrals put up with him. He did the Man U West Ham FA cup tie this year apparently and the Hammers fans were going mental after, I believe.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

It is ridiculously clear just how blatantly biased Tyler is regarding Liverpool through that simple comparison.

I particularly like how Tyler says 'Checking to see if the ball went out from the corner' - I've a feeling that he was the only one checking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

He did say during the broadcast that he wants the underdog to win games, and went on about Leicester City then for a bit. So much for being impartial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tinpib

I think Tyler is at least a bit anti-Liverpool, he doesn't like them. But at this point I think he hates commentating on football matches more. The dude just straight up **** hates his job now.

• Advertisement

I see we have been linked over the last few days with Nketiah on a free.

He might be an option to replace Origi for no money to fill out the squad.

He could just come in on the same wages as Origi is on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

They'll stitch us up with Paul Tierney no doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

I don't hear Martin Tyler's commentary very often but I think he's just an unexcitable grumpy old man (it'll happen to us all). Does he sound more upbeat for other big teams?

And I'm not having the Peter Drury love (him and Beglin are who I have to listen to 90% of the time), he talks some absolute drivel as he's always trying to fit in the over the top superlative he's come up with pre-game. He's so forced at times.

Tyler gets strangely excited when Liverpool conceed or when other certain teams score.

No love for Drury - rather, this is how scoring a goal should sound like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭McFly85

Tyler’s just gotten old. He went to a city awards ceremony recently and got booed for not celebrating Sterling’s recent goals so they think he hates them too.

Also, he did have that classic FOR GERRARD against Olympiacos so it’s not like he’s had some all consuming hatred for Liverpool for all time.

Hes old and rarely now sounds too excited about anything, so he should probably retire as a bit of enthusiasm wouldn’t go amiss, but I doubt he has any specific Liverpool agenda.

I remember that one and it's clearly an over the top reaction but it's also 7 years ago. It's been constantly talked about in the last couple of years.

I can remember plenty of times him screaming 'Gerrard!' when he'd fire in a 30 yarder. The Olympiakos goal being one and he was screamed over even more enthusiastically by known Liverpool fan Andy Gray. Or the West Ham FA Cup one sticks out as well, sounded like he'd soiled himself.

I think recently he just doesn't care. I doubt he's just grown a hatred for Liverpool in the last while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IISJfDnOnJE&ab_channel=Ryor

Having to go as far back as the road to the 2005 CL final for 2 words that sound pro Liverpool kinda says it all.

But is there many recent examples of him being excited for anything? Why did City fans boo him? Does he hate them too? Why has he decided to not be enthused for Liverpool goals recently? Is it perhaps he's just old and getting the right words and show excitement is too difficult for him. Anyone around any lively 76 years old? I never have been. Yes he should retire but I don't think he has some hatred for Liverpool.

Every commentator and it doesn't matter what sport get the accusation of not liking the team that someone supports.

His perceived dislike for Liverpool is a fire that is kept fed by the continuous abuse he receives on social media about his perceived dislike for Liverpool. It's a vicious circle

• Advertisement

To be fair his commentary on Liverpool v United games for example are ridiculously 'one sided' in tone, inflection and 'fairness in commentary' I think.

But yet he is the same age for both teams - I'm not buying the age thing at all.

But I would certainly agree that he should retire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

That wasn’t Tyler was it?

Here's as recent a Livepool v United game as I can find where a United goal mattered. Are his reactions to the first Fernandes goal really that different to the Liverpool goals because I can't hear it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGvbtXtRYTw&ab_channel=FeditFootball

he was remarkably more excited for the Southampton goal last night. I'm a simple guy, if it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, quacks like a duck, it's a duck!

Sit and listen to him for years and form an opinion.

Most in here have already done that.

It really is quite clear.

Martin Tyler could actually be more interesting than posts about Martin Tyler.

I listened to him up until 2010/11 and never noticed any bias. Since then I only hear him a few times a season as I get whatever the local provider uses. I gave an example of a recent of a United vs Liverpool game and there was no difference in his reaction to United scoring or Liverpool scoring. It was not quite clear.

The difference between when I heard him all the time and now is he is old and Liverpool are not the underdogs. We're expected to win so pretty much any team scoring against us is a shot against the favourite. Something everyone not invested in the favourite wants to see.

SO close and yet so far for Rangers, CL for them would have been massive step from the building Gerrard did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Hopefully we get to play Frankfurt in the Super cup next season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Nketiah fills a HG spot in the squad as well, i think

Advertisement