Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭political analyst

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭RoTelly

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

Not in recent years when they didn't air late news bulletins on Eurovision night - and I assume it was the same last Saturday. The only time when the news was shown at 9 on Eurovision night was when it was on RTÉ 2 on the day of the same-sex marriage referendum result.

I know that the fall of the Iron Curtain brought many new participants to the Eurovision Song Contest but I thought that the semi-finals were meant to whittle-down the number of entries in the final.

Break up of larger states I think former Eastern European countries did enter the competition, Yugoslavia for example where there from the 60s, while Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montenegro, Serbia and North Macedonia are the new states that formed enter the competition.

I think its a max of 25 for the final, but all countries vote in the grand final.

When was the last time they had a late night news following the Eurovision.

______

Yesterday

I think the last time there was a news bulletin on RTÉ 1 after the Eurovision final was in 2016.

2020 doesn't count because that was a mock Eurovision contest (the news was broadcast shortly after 10), given that the genuine contest was cancelled for obvious reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I can't remember back to 2016 but I did notice the BBC had News at 3.45pm on Saturday and then again after Eurovision.

I suppose if there was some serious breaking news it would have been covered by all outlets.

There was FA Cup Final coverage on BBC 1 at 4 PM last Saturday. Interestingly, on Christmas Day, on which there is no BBC regional TV news service, and given the fact that all viewers in the UK can watch the BBC News Channel, BBC 1 had only 2 short bulletins at 1 PM and 11:50 PM in addition to the Breakfast programme that is simulcast on the News Channel.

It was an unusually busy day for them they ran from the cup final into the song contest related quiz then into the song contest proper at a gallop.

Christmas Day is more of a set piece with footage of the royal family going to church etc.

I'm sure the newsrooms are staffed to allow for the unexpected though

Very unlikely that RTÉ would have carried breaking news, they have just axed their 4pm News during the day. I am sure, sure they have good reason and money will be saved by not having a 5 minute bulletin !

______

Yesterday

I didn't mean ordinary breaking news like a shooting in Dublin or a multiple fatality RTA.

I was more thinking of a plane crash at Dublin Airport, a high profile sudden death, that sort of thing.

Things like that and the budget goes out the window, it just has to be covered.

I don't watch RTE during the day so I didn't miss 4pm news.

• Advertisement

So if RTÉ didn't broadcast during the day then it doesn't matter to you at all, many people on here have literally stated the same thing, on this thread for their reasoning for not wanting to pay the TV license.

______

Yesterday

I’d say that RTÉ would have trouble finding someone to front it up over a bank holiday. Most 24h organisations have a rostered “lead” on call to deal with such a massive issue from a communications perspective.

Just to clarify my remarks about breaking news referred to specific circumstances like last Saturday night.

I didn't say it doesn't matter to me whether RTE broadcast during the day.

I said I don't watch RTE during the day.

If the demand is there and people want it I see no reason why it wouldn't happen.

sorry but you said

I don't watch RTE during the day so I didn't miss 4pm news.

For example I could say

I don't watch RTÉ 9pm news so not having on during the Eurovision, I didn't miss it.

In other words because RTÉ have axed all their daytime news bulletins and because you don't watch RTÉ during the day it does not matter to you. But as a public service broadcaster it might matter to others.

RTÉ will not cover breaking news, I have an example that happened one Summer which would prove my point, but I can't think of it.

______

Yesterday

OK what I meant was that I didn't miss it when it was removed because I don't watch RTE during the day.

I hope that clarifies that matter to your satisfaction.

Absolutely if it is considered part of a PBS remit it should be provided.

Wild horses couldn't drag me to watch TV when most sport is on but I recognise that it is important to others and I have no problem contributing towards it through my taxes.

Whatever about your example the sort of high level breaking news I referred to could hardly be ignored by a Public Broadcasting Service.

You may be right it could be a challenge but in examples like I gave I couldn't see them not having an emergency plan.

And it is considered part of a PBS remit to carry news bulletins?

It wasn't ignored but they waited until their 6.1 news programme and as it was during happened in August they only had a 30 minute programme.

______

Yesterday

Yes it is.

The number and duration of same should be agreed and stuck to.

I don't know what you are referring to in the last paragraph so sorry can't comment on it.

Well at least we are agreed that RTÉ have largely speaking abandoned daytime TV news, while having a "24 HOUR" news channel. Bizzare don't you think.

I will look up the example for you.

______

Yesterday

I'm at a disadvantage in that I'm not familiar with the RTE daytime news offering now and in the past for the simple reason outlined above that I don't watch it.

So I hope you won't mind if I reserve judgement.

As I have said so many times before in our discussions I favour a broad national debate about what sort of PBS we want and I believe everything should be on the table.

I have always said news and current affairs should have a high priority.

Thanks for the offer to look up the example.

• Advertisement

So RTÉ axe daytime news and you want to reserve judgement? Why? Do you not trust me to say that they had bulletins on during the day and now the have just a lunch time news?

A broad national debate, we are have this here and as I have said their have been several such debates since 2002, including the latest one in 2021 that has yet to be published by the Government.

You ever wonder why News on 2 and Late Night bulletins on 2fm and RTÉ ONE TV were axed by RTÉ?

______

Yesterday

Please don't be offended it's not a matter of me not trusting you.

I just don't want to jump into agreeing about terms like "largely abandoned" and "bizarre" on the hoof so to speak.

As I have said before the day the Government wake up and get on with providing the PBS we want and deserve will be a happy one.

No I never did for the same reason as the afternoon bulletin, I never heard or watched them.

You don't have to use those terms you can say just ask:-

Why doesn't RTÉ have any live TV news between 10pm until 1pm each day?

Or how is it that RTÉ 2fm has no news bulletin after 7pm but they continue to have a sports bulletin?

What if RTÉ Radio 1 axed late night news and late debate from Radio 1? It's not implausible.

You seem to think that because you only watch the core of RTÉ ONE and RTÉ Radio 1's programming that programming on the rest of their services don't matter, and as long as RTÉ continue to provide those core services you are happy.

You know that all independent Radio and TV services have to ask if they want to change their News and Current Affairs Schedules, while RTÉ can just axe their news and CA content unilaterally.

______

Yesterday

OK I'll give some consideration to your post but it'll have to be tomorrow because I am about to retire, big day tomorrow.

If you have really been following the trend of my posting on broadcasting I don't see how you come to the conclusion that I just want what suits me and don't care about others.

I have repeatedly posted on here that everyone should have an input into the shape of PBS we ultimately end up with.

I don't expect to get everything I want out of it and I have no problem in my taxes paying for it.

Can't be clearer than that for now.

As promised I have reviewed our conversation from last night and find I have nothing to add at this point.

I stand over what I posted and accept your bona fides in the posts you contributed.

Happy to continue or leave it as you see fit.

first congratulations on your retirement.

This is how I see it: -

RTÉ have cut back massively on home produced programming but I don't see why.

I would have thought that RTÉ2 is a core service and as such it would have programmes produced for it.

Now they might say well people have moved online and we are doing more of that type of programming online with the player, but cuts to RTÉ2 came long before they started on any online programming that would have normally aired on RTÉ2. (And the Player originals do not in anyway replace the amount of content on RTÉ2).

So we still have to consider it a core service. Is there anything that shows us that RTÉ2 is an Irish Broadcaster? This week they will have 2 hours of Irish content, you could possibly add 30 to 60 mins when you include new children's programming. For the entire week!

Can you imagine if either TG4 or Virgin Media one did this? TG4 cannot due to the Irish Language, while Virgin Media one's license insists on 30% of programming coming from Ireland (Okay I know it is only Ireland AM and news programming in the main).

Then if I wanted I could argue that even the simplest programmes aren't produced by RTÉ: -

No Quiz Shows, No Comedy (I am not including Chat shows), little independent Drama (both RTÉ and VMTV seem to think they should only invest in high end drama god forbid that that they would consider a series like Can't Cope Won't Cope or Batchelors Walk), much like Drama is big big extravagant Entertainment shows or nothing, so much so that for a few week they aired Ant & Dec.

Then as I have pointed out News programming has been cut, while it takes a break in August "also know as the silly season", 3 times due to corna they had to run around to produce an hour long Six One.

And keeping with simple programming why does their core afternoon programme take a break in June, July, August and September, you don't see that with Ireland AM.

These are all regular things you would expect from a broadcaster, I am not even talking about their Public Service Remit.

RTÉ needs reform, if you throw more money at it you will still get an August break for the news, little to no comedy, a 4 month break for their daytime programme, they don't even do a morning show. And why I am I so certain of that? Because that's what we've largely got in the past.

Post edited by RoTelly on

______

Yesterday

Bit of a crossed wire there.

I meant I was retiring for the night because I had a busy day today not that I was going into retirement 🙂

🤣 I though you were having a party tonight so I was surprise by your reply 🤣

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,503 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I used to watch RTE2 years ago when it would have a lot of the US shows on it - haven't looked at the station in about a decade I would say, if not more

Now it seems to be just full on repeats with reality crap and the likes - can't see what benefit it is to anyone, tho going by their viewing figures I am not alone in not watching it

Advertisement