Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Fitness Questions

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,861 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I added 5kg one day (Someone was hogging the smaller weights) and ended up with lower back pain for a week. Hence my being cautious. I appreciate you anticipating that I would not know what dumping was. Nice touch. Bit risky for fingers maybe.

The SS program. Is it really just three sets of lifts a day (plus warmups)? That's all? I need to read it properly later of course.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

If you read the novice page for SS it’s pretty clear, probably clearer than I could write it.

Although it’s “only” 3x5 on squat, bench and press, bear in mind-

1. That’s after warm-ups, those 3x5 or 1x5 on dead are your work sets.
    2. Early on they will feel light and be light. But if you are adding weight to the bar every session just keep in mind that you might be squatting 70kg 3x5 early on, but 3-4 months later… Do the maths.. And 2 months after that.. The difficulty of a linear progression is not evenly distributed, it’s loaded to the end. Most people quit near the end, everyone sails the beginning.

Although it’s a novice / beginner program if you haven’t had a proper run at it or are stalled then you can still benefit. Just don’t stay on it forever or keep returning to it.

As far as failing a squat goes: If the pins are set up right you can just use those to abandon the lift at the bottom, by controlling it to the pins and wedging yourself out, if bailing out as outlined above freaks you out. In a commercial gym it will also cause less of an issue with some staff. I learned to bail first though, and it’s valid obviously!

Post edited by Black Sheep on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,861 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Haven't filmed myself. I get in very early to get better access to the only squat rack. I can give it a go but it's possible my form isn't great.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

If you're not looking to get physically huge, just stronger a calorie surplus is still required, yes?

Thanks for all the responses.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I don’t get what you mean about dumping, sorry, am I missing something.

Starting strength is a model of beautiful simplicity. It really works.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement

a calorie surplus is needed to get stronger and bigger. Huge isn’t going to happen by accident. I’ve been relatively strong and not huge.

they/them/theirs

Strong and not huge would be ideal. I'm happy with my current weight but would like to see some progress in my lifting.

The dumping was about dumping a squat above in the event of a failed rep.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheTruth89

How do you create and follow an accurate diet ? like say someone wanted to consume 3k calories a day, and macros of moderate carb 30/35/35

Then starting strength and a small calorie surplus is your only man.

they/them/theirs

Thanks! I think I'm out of daft questions. For now at least.

Found a reddit post of some lad claiming to be eating nearly 4,000 calories a day. Madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Cill94

Follow a beginner programme or hire a coach. This stuff can be very confusing at the start and you'll save yourself a lot of time by just following a plan made by someone who knows how it all works.

100kg squat is something almost all of my male clients can do after a year of consistent training; it shouldn't take 3+ years to do that if strength is a goal! Just a matter of training smart and eating and sleeping right.

Debating hiring a coach. This stuff is common knowledge among them, yes?

No feckin way could I do a 100kg squat. 50, possibly but I can't see myself getting a full 100kg.

It is amongst good ones aye 👌 100kg honestly very achievable

I do online and in-person coaching, welcome to take a look at my site or any of the free resources on there. Hopefully not breaking any rules by linking here:

https://www.cillianoconnor.net/

There's a lad on Youtube I follow (strategy gaming, not lifting) and he occassionally shares pics of his squat racked loaded with 80kg. I get a bit jealous tbh.

I live in the UK. I'd be more than happy to give you a call otherwise. Thanks for your help! I'll keep it in mind if I relocate back to Ireland.

100kg as a goal is eminently achievable. Even if you are a smaller man, or a bit older, normally as Cilian says that's a benchmark you will almost certainly hit within a year of a novice program, or even sooner.

If you aren't in a position to access a coach I would suggest to you that you could consider recording a video of your squatting and post it on one of the many many form check forums that are on reddit and facebook. You basically want to shoot the video from behind and to the side, so you won't necessarily be identifiable or anything. After you've got your feedback, then you can delete the video.

Not as good as in person coaching, but better than nothing and if you're doing something fundamentally wrong, the feedback should give you at least some chance of correcting.

With regard to tracking calories and macros, there probably isn't a better option at the moment than using one of the many apps out there that will let you log it and it does the maths.

Determining what your macros and calorie intake should be is a little harder. For what it's worth, I did the maths myself a few years ago, based on what I wanted (Slight calorie deficit, and macros geared towards higher protein but carbs and fats supporting lifting and training several times a week), and then I compared that with what was generated as a recommendation for me by one of the tracking apps, I think it was My Fitness Pal. The difference between them was pretty negligible, I was surprised the app was very on the money, maybe I shouldn't have been.

Is mid-thirties a bit too old to be starting with all of this?

Absolutely not, put that from your mind.

Thanks B.

Had a wee period of kicking myself there for not getting into it a decade ago. It's just so good for the stress and anxiety.

Only asked because you mentioned people who are a bit older.

Ah, I was thinking 55+, or older even.

In your thirties and forties … Still can get very strong.

Actually even 55+ can get good numbers with the right coaching and maybe a bit of athleticism.

I tweaked my upper back today, very annoying. Was fine for hours after and now seizing up. Probably that’s the rest of the week gone for lifting. Annoying.

• Advertisement

Ah right.

Yeah, I'd saw one GIF of an elderly woman deadlifting on a forum where some lad was afraid of doing it. I'd be similar. I've seen some videos and am not far off giving it a go but I think the point was along the lines of "If she can, so can you".

Most people lifting I see are in their twenties. Maybe it's because I go in as early as possible to avoid the social media people...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,818 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I started lifting heavy stuff in my 30’s. 37 actually. Always had a bad back. I used to look at guys in the gym deadlifting 80kg and squatting 60kg and I’d think no way I could do anywhere near that, not in a million years.

nowdays those weights are the start of my warm ups. So trust me, 100kg is well achievable. Just got to stick to your program. I’ve had loads of time off during these years from injuries, busy work schedule, moving house, babies etc but I always get back to it. Probably for me, using the log forum here on boards and the help of a good few people on here I’ve kept going. I was exactly where you were and I asked all the questions you asked and more.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2057683427/getting-stronger-getting-older#latest

There was a lad who used to post here who started lifting in his early 40s and went on to compete in power lifting, he was a beast. Pavel?

they/them/theirs

Thanks. I'll have a read of that thread.

I've gotten used to being one of the weaker people there. It's not an issue. I'm perhaps a bit too paranoid about injury so I've no issue waiting to add weight if I feel I need to.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭dinky earnshaw

My 14 year old son has just joined the local gym for the summer. He's fit and lean from football etc. He wants to build some muscle. At that age is he better off starting with something like greyskull / strong lifts or something else ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,818 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

hes probably already eating you out of house and home but you’re gonna have to up there food intake and do some or any weight training program

I think 14 is do-able to begin, although it must be said there are 14 year olds who have a good bit of their adult allotment of physical and mental coordination and then there are 14 year olds who are quite obviously still developing. But if it's the latter then I would still say to let them have at it.

I agree a novice linear progression is the way to go and personally yes, I think Greyskull would be a good choice. If you're familiar with Greyskull you'll be aware it allows for the addition of some extras on top of the compound lifts. If he's a teenage boy this may suit as he's highly like to want to do some direct arm training... At least he can do it in a structured way.

If you search the Starting Strength website they have quite a few articles on coaching teenage and high school lifters that may be of interest.

As Dtp says, calorie intake will be a big thing, making sure it's adequate based on his physical activity level.

they/them/theirs

Not really a question as such, but just an "FYI" with where I am in my own training.

Having done quite low volume training for the past 6 months, much of it Doggcrapp, I'm back now doing slightly more volume, I'm about a month into a stint with WS4SB (A good fit for me just now, having a lot on my plate and trying to do some sport too).

I'm still genuinely undecided on exactly where the sweet spot for me is volume wise, whether it's low or moderate I can usually keep progressive overload going. When I do fall down and feel 'broken' for a week or two, it's usually an external factor that is the culprit ... A heavy weekend away, a series of BJJ sparring sessions etc.

Lately I've been toying with doing something I'm never done and running a quite high volume programme. I'm looking at John Meadows' intermediate programme "Warlock", which is 2 upper, 2 lower, and runs for 8-10 weeks.

The exercise selection and sequencing is really on point and makes sense to me. Meadows was definitely a believer that people could handle more volume, even as naturals, than was normally suggested, but I'm in my early 40s and looking at "Warlock" on paper, it might be one to run going into the winter when my life is a little quieter.

The first upper body day, for example, has 9 exercises for 5 body parts, and 26 work sets. The first lower body day is glute/ham dominant and has about 20 work sets.

Meadows trained people on drugs and naturals and always believed that volume was an individual matter, some naturals can handle more than others. Looking at this on paper and knowing myself I would guess I would shave off several sets per workout.

• Advertisement

I think as you've alluded to, it's all about the volume sweet spot that allows you to progressively overload within that 'practical hypertrophy rep range' of 6-12ish.

I'll often drop volume temporarily to help me get some extra weight on the bar, as it's generally easier to add reps to a challenging weight, than add weight to a large volume of reps.

Advertisement