Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Karen Harrington jailed for life for the murder of Santina Cawley

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

Unless you've somehow discovered a way to predict a person will commit murder that is horseshit of the highest order and you know it. Yes he shouldn't have left the child with her that night but he surely didn't expect his daughter to be murdered by the bitch, regardless of what rows or other circumstances occured.

There's an awful reek of deflection and blaming going on here about the father, at the end of the day his only mistake was leaving the child in her care. I don't recall any recent case like this where someone who wasn't even at the scene of the murder is being blamed for a part in it, it's disgusting to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭fits

His only mistake? Did you actually read the details of the night in question. Child was dragged around from pillar to post while he went on a session. It’s far beneath the standard of care I’d expect for a child and that’s excluding the whole assault and murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,135 ✭✭✭✭walshb

It's not disgusting for people to question how a parent (supposed to care for) can leave a child in the care of someone who was clearly erratic and drunk and angry and volatile.....

What this woman did was utter depravity.

Had he left the child alone with a large dog and something terrible happened, he would be rightly condemned. This woman did to that child what an animal wouldn't even do....

Point is: the poor child was failed by people. Harington was just the evil monster who physically ended her life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Thats was the fookin mistake, you just said it

he should have been minding her, like other good parents

He is to blame for leaving her there

Harrington to blame for the death

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

I disagree completely on that one, as does the law (in my admittedly limited knowledge of it).

The crime here is the killing of the child. Only one person did it.

Were there other crimes? Probably. Were there things that could have been done to protect the child? Definitely. Did the parents fail to protect her adequately? In my opinion, definitely. None of this changes the above. Only one person murdered this child.

• Advertisement

not one person is saying the father murdered the child

you don't seem to be capable of grasping that

I am with you here

I am simply saying that it is not off, wrong or disgusting to place blame on the child's parents here.

I used the dog analogy: who is to blame if a dog mauls a child to death (child intentionally left alone in company of dog)? It's not the dog.....

Yes, Harrigton killed her, and deserves the life sentence. I get that.

The father left this defenseless child alone with a woman who was clearly a volatile character, who had a history of drink and drugs issues. Left her alone on a night that where there was clear chaos.

Here's the exact quote from Furze, copied and pasted:

'I would actually hold him more responsible for the child's death than the convicted woman who likely just lost it in a half drunken rage.'

The above quote is what I have been responding to. Do you agree with the above quote or with my position?

You can blame them all you want for things like neglect, bad parenting, being drunks, drug users, scumbags, anything at all that you wish, you won't get any argument from me.

If you blame them for the child's murder, as posted above, you will get argument from me, because you'd be wrong.

I dont agree with Fruze

I agree with Walshb who you quoted

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Justice has been served.

RIP to little Santina, the victim of a truly barbaric and evil crime.

I am against the death penalty - always have been - but a case as barbaric as this does make one wonder...

We should have full life tariffs in Ireland as they do in the UK for particularly evil murders such as this one.

Post edited by JupiterKid on

Then we have no disagreement as far as I can see, I started the discussion quoting Furze who I copied and pasted above.

I think we can all agree that one person killed this child. That one person deserves punishment for this crime. They are responsible for this.

I think we can all agree that following the conclusion of this murder investigation, there should be a further non-murder investigation into the parenting choices/circumstances that lead to this event.

I think we all get this...issue is how it is being portrayed

Harrington responsible for physically ending the poor child's life. Parents responsible for allowing their child to be alone in the company of this thing on that deadly night. Alone full well knowing the chaos and volatility and anger that the child was surrounded by.

Well the murdering scumbag won't be able to murder any more kids for a few years. I agree with you though, I would prefer she was hung from a great height.

Also you do know that other things happen outside of the court yeah? Like ya know how when something happens in your life there are also other things happening? Like even if someone dies, in the next few years tens, maybe hundreds of different things will happen in your life. This murdering piece of **** has been put away. That's a start to resolving things. The living circumstances of the parents of the victim and their other kids aren't going to be addressed by a fuckin murder trial, it'll be separate and mostly very private.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭notAMember

Addicts often have very little control over their actions. That's why they are so dangerous, and why people often object to injections centers or addict support services in their local area. The details of that case are horrific, the reports of the neighbours downstairs hearing the sliding door slam over and over again sent a chill down my spine. Of course the poor child was screaming and crying, with no sleep and being injured. Which only enraged the out of control woman further.

It's an awful. Addiction isn't an easy problem to solve in society, once it gets established, which it sadly has in Cork at the moment.

That's not an absolution of responsibility, she was absolutely guilty of that murder. But in addition to jailing her, perhaps we could consider measures to prevent others repeating this, such as focused action on addiction and drug supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Conveniently everyone else involved is firmly embracing the innocent victim card, and undoubtedly being rewarded, so I wouldn’t hold my breath that any other action will come out of this. But who knows.

We have teams and teams of great people working tirelessly with drug addicts and the like.

Working many many years now. It is not something that can ever be fully solved. People and societies are very complex.

And, forgetting drugs and alcohol etc, sometimes people are downright bad and nasty.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Terrible case. It is very hard to read accounts of the night.

That poor child. By all accounts, including the father's, this woman regardless of her drink and drug abuse had a history of looking after children well. Did they specify which drugs they were using that night? Must have been something heavy duty to cause such a frenzy of violence and then (if she is to believed) a complete memory loss about the event.

Did the defence offer up any sort of explanation, other than her 'I didn't do it'?

• Advertisement

I don’t think a case of pure badness can be discounted.

The woman seemed to meticulously torture the child to death.

This does not seem like a moment of madness due to rage/hallucinations /drugs/alcohol that resulted in death. She was heard taunting the child.

Was it pure badness/spite toward the father, due to their mad relationship?

Mad and bad is what this monster is!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

As per the basic facts reported extensively and I repeat he was fully responsible for the child, his daughter. He was completely feckless in leaving her in the care of a woman whom he'd had a row with earlier and who he knew had been drinking.

Obviously he didn't harm the child on this night but his drunken decisions contributed substantially to what transpired. No functional caring parent should behave like that.

He can't just throw that off and then go giving a story to the tabloid media. If he was paid in any way for that, we should all be disgusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,129 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Re-offending? What about pure punishment she deserves? 20 years of loss of freedom for beating a toddler to death? Sounds not near enough for me.

There is no rehabilitation here, addiction issues or not she was well aware of what she was doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Tell me this. Will you use her babby sitting services when she is out?

An eye fir an eye with this type of crime as far as I'm concerned.

At the very least she should be locked in a concrete box for the next 50 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Gusser09

They didn't murder the child but they sure as hell were complicit in it. Absolute dregs of society the lot of them. The country is full of that type at the moment with kids being given no hope in life at all. Disgusts me that we the taxpayer pay for their scumbag behaveour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

This is the saddest case I can remember in recent news, up there with the Anna Kriegel case.

What I want to know, is how intoxicated was the murderer, what was she on, was it just alcohol or something else too, and had she been drinking all day long, and what quantity did she consume over what period.

Based on the testimony of her character witnesses this was way out of character for her.

I’ve heard of cases where people have killed their friends over silly arguments after drinking all day long, and can’t even remember it afterwards.

It’s frightening if it was just alcohol that put her in that state, turned a normal girl into doing such a cruel and evil thing.

if it was just alcohol and not anything else it should be broadcast as that because there are people out there that need to be warned about the dangers of their alcohol consumption. Bad things can happen from drinking all day long especially with small children around.

It’s too late to apologise after killing someone. You can blame drink, but people have to wake up to their choices to consume so much alcohol that they have blackouts and lose complete control of their senses.

Not much here I'd disagree with but earlier you said you would 'hold him more responsible for the child's death'

That's where we disagree as I don't.

He was not responsible in terms of her actual death but played a considerable contributory part in the events that led to it. Ultimately he was the adult on the day responsible for his daughters welfare. And he failed her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,296 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Some of the older articles in the months after she was arrested say she was pregnant at the time, and quite heavily going by the photo in this article

This just makes this awful story even worse. Poor kids. Why is any mention of this scrubbed from the newer stories?

Advertisement