Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What whisk(e)y are we drinking? (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,647 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

This is a new one: A whiskey bus tour of Ireland...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Tried two new whiskeys stateside a few weeks ago by a company called Baha. Two lines, a 3yo called the Tara blend and a 'founders reserve' which I believe is 4 or 5 yo.

3yo is almost fully transparent in a glass but have to say I was pleasantly surprised how nice it was. The other one I was rushing to make a train but from what I recall it was pretty tasty also

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I'll never understand the tendency to call really young whiskies 'select reserve', 'founder's reserve' etc.

I meant to say this before, but when I was in Dublin airport I noticed that there was a good number of Drumshambo Inaugural releases on the shelf, as if it was newly arrived, it was 12+ bottles. This is quite funny to me as I noticed that the Inaugural Release had obviously been creeping into that "collector's territory" due to a recent lack of availability. What started out as a whiskey selling for 60-80 euro was going for 180+ on some sites. If there's more of it which is popping up for sale (At the original RRP or similar, btw) then you'd be bit miffed if you paid the collector's price.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

Got a bottle of Sextom earlier as a gift, seems to be a Bushmills make, any sense of what it's like (waiting until weekend to try)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,647 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Very nice, somewhere between Black Bush and Bushmills 10, strong sherry influence.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭2011abc

I’d say stronger Sherry than both of them .

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭antoswords

Hi All

I have about 35 miniature bottles of Jameson 12 Year Old 50 ml. I am looking to move them on, in batches of 5. Could anyone recommend a site where i could sell them?

Thanks in advance.

A

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Latest dream Cask announced.

This fifth release in the Dream Cask collection uniquely marries two 30 Year Old Single Pot Still Irish Whiskeys and which we've named Redbreast Dream Cask Double Cask Edition. A rare bottling, it captures the quintessential style of our acclaimed Single Pot Still Irish Whiskey while adding a new dimension to its nose, flavour and taste, thanks to the combined craftsmanship and vision of Master Blender, Billy Leighton and his collaborator, Blender David Mc Cabe. At its heart is the innovative coming together of two hand-picked casks of single pot still whiskey - one, chosen by Billy, was originally laid down in a first fill Oloroso sherry butt in May 1990 and the other, chosen by David, was laid down in a first fill Bourbon barrel in November 1991. Each cask had its own unique traits and full-bodied personality and, in bottling them together at precisely the right moment, the two casks were unified at their peak of maturity and perfection.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭interlocked

You'd wonder how many Dream Casks are ever actually drank?

Like a lot of top end, limited edition whiskey, are they just bought as collectibles or investments?

I'd find it hard to justify opening a bottle if I got one, to be honest

I enter the ballot each time. If I won it I'd flip it. But my code of ethics means I'm obliged to spend the profits on whiskey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

Tried the Sexton at weekend, great call from you both, thanks. Deep dark colour, very strong sweet sherry taste. I have always liked Black Bush, this is like Black Bush Extreme, really like it. Saw it for €26 in Tesco at weekend, will be getting more at that price.

Tesco selling Sexton for 32 now .Still a nice drop and yes, it’s very dark in colour .Anyone got feedback on Red Bush ?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭FlicFlak

Ive had it, to be fair, its completely inoffensive, nothing inherently wrong with it, just lacking in flavour. Id actually rate the regular white bush better because that has batch to batch variation (in my opinion) so you can actually taste the difference!

They actually advertise Red Bush as a cocktail whiskey or something to be be mixed with, not a fan of cocktails or mixers so you can drink it on its own, just dont expect much!! Also, the price is higher than black bush (when black bush is on offer) so it makes even less sense then!!

Yes it’s funny how regular Bush can vary so much . I always reckoned Red Bush had a stigma’ around it and I guess that’s confirmed why .

Anyone signed up for any of the masterclasses at Whiskey Live? I'm going on the Friday, and the Boann distillery one looks interesting, as they have a few different new make spirits you can try.

I'm doing the Buffalo Trace antique collection one on the Saturday. Seems like remarkable value considering how hard it is to get bottles in that range.

Must be popular, as it's sold out now.

I think I tired a couple of them during a lock down tasting. I'd have to check my notes though!

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Listrydude

Green spot Chateau Montelena is absolutely stunning! Well worth a purchase, though shop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Got a dream cask in the ballot

What do you think I should be looking for to flip it?

Again I will be reinvesting the money in whiskey

If you’re at Bloom( and out of the country for Whiskey Live :-( ) there are several whiskey distillers ( finishers?) to talk to .I highly recommend the Lough Ree stand to the point after three tipples I bought two bottles ..They do a very solid ‘blend’ 46% for €46 .79% grain -but none the less for it -with three or four finished malts and pot stills including a peated one providing the oomph .While I availed of a sample of the 90-95 euro flagship(?) Sherry ( but weak /subtle port tasting ) finished 12/13 year old grain I bought the blend and the €70 ( sweeter) Sherry finished Malt .(6.5 year old )

I’m having a lovely alfresco triple tasting session here with the Sexton and my two purchases ( and a few red grapes and blueberries for round 2 )

Sadly I don’t think the halcyon days of Teeling Brabazon vol 1 for €70-75 will return -the Lough Ree May be the smoothest pure Sherry casked whiskey ever in my opinion .The Teeling Brabazon was a symphony of a dried fruit and Christmas cake but this is pure , pure and smooth but sweet Sherry ….If it was a bit cheaper I might drink it for the rest of my life but it’s a lovely treat and alas as the gent on the stand explained ‘raw’irish whiskey spirit prices have gone through the roof in the last five years …

Anyway as far as I’m concerned Lough Ree could be ‘the new Teeling ‘…Their ‘main man’ served his time over decades with Jim Bean in USA and they seem to be providing honest bang per buck so are to be applauded in my opinion . Slainte !

• Advertisement

All the Lough Ree stuff is sourced, right?

Whatever you like from then now, you should ID the likely origin as when they run out of however much they’ve bought, that’s the end of it from them.

Wonder how far off their own whisky is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Same As

1k+ minimum I would say.

~200 fewer bottles in this release vs the DC20, DC28 and DC29 which were all in the 900s and ~100 less than the first release, the DC33 which was in the 800s.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,841 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Truth

I'm in doubt I can make it to Whiskey Live now.

I have 2 tickets for the Saturday 1pm-4:30pm slot, and 2 tickets for the Buffalo Trace antique collection masterclass for that slot. Total value 120 euro or so.

If anyone is interested in buying all for 60 then PM me, I understand they're totally transferable.

Scratch that, I'm going after all!

Bright and early for the bourbon tasting...

Late notice but I’ve a ticket for tonight’s session. €20 if anyone wants it.

Gone

Whiskey Live…

In at 12pm for the Buffalo Trace vintage collection masterclass.

A “bonus” 40% BT to start everyone off, and probably one put aside really, as there was an endless amount of more interesting whiskies ahead. I don’t think anyone did, though.

The antique collection were as expected, all exceptional to taste at this price point. I have a bottle of the Weller Larue but great to have the crack at the others… I’m unlikely to get bottles of them. The Eagle Rare 17 was a bit of a standout.

There was one person present who decanted his samples into bottles he’d brought.

The presentation from the reps was what I expected, some interesting chat about plans to end the “rolling blackouts” of BT in the US and then some beginner / intermediate bourbon 101 talk.

At one point early on things got a little hairy when some North American guy (Possibly a blogger, he was marching around with a big tripod later) interjected to correct the reps on something they said. Essentially, it related to how bourbon was defined.

He was technically correct … probably.

However, he did it in a really rude manner. Mainly the tone.

What had been a very laid back affair suddenly had this whisky neckbeard holding court about how the reps needed to change a slide or they would be misleading the consumer. There was a long silence and I think all of us Irish attendees were thinking “FFS, there’s always one”. I don’t know if the guy though he had masterfully revealed his knowledge and simultaneously punched a big producer’s idiot reps in the proverbial dick, but I think we were all just mortified for him.

In fairness, the reps smoothed it over and he remained mercifully silent for the rest of the masterclass (Although I can’t understand how someone could drink amazing bourbon at a negligible price and yet look so angry?).

I didn’t taste a huge amount after that actually. It was a day time session and I was a bit picky.

Did the Michters stand and had some 10 year old 100 proof rye from under the table that was smashing.

Probably the weirdest and most amazing thing I had was a bottle of Dingle peated cask strength that was the most peated Irish whisky I have ever had. This thing could have been a Kilchoman or Lagavulin in terms of the phenols. Full on bonfire. I gather a distiller’s pet project unlikely to see the light of day.

Well run show, good atmosphere bar the neckbeard in the masterclass. I’m an enthusiast and a bit of a whisky nerd, but happy to sit much closer to the mainstream than the neckbeard deep end. I wish I could “talk neckbeard” and make them understand that the point-scoring and the gatekeeping just turns so many people off the community.

Post edited by Black Sheep on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭Justin10

Don't know why I've never been interested in whiskey live when I absolutely love trying samples of different whiskeys.

Besides the sit down tastings, I assume its queuing up, quick chat at the counter with the exhibitor and a small sample of whatever they are supplying?

• Advertisement

Pretty much, although no queuing … Some stands busier than others but you’d still get a sample handy enough.

” Under the table” samples of whatever is going that’s more special require a little more schmoozing, but not a lot.

Advertisement