Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fall of the Catholic Church

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,386 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

That's my point - the can't. Or shouldn't. And if they are, stop outsourcing to them.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,098 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

They can't anymore is more correct. Previously they didn't need to as they would be housed by the local authority. But outsourcing caused this issue. They realized the private market is driven by market forces not social policy. So know they have the worst of both worlds. A broken housing system.

Which brings us back to the Govt outsourcing education and oversight to the church. Which is how we got here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

" RTE is in t he pocket of the catholic church "

too funny

I'd argue outspourcing blindy without regulatory checking was the issue.

There were other ways they could have gone. There still are. But no one is willing to change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,811 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The Irish public is so brainwashed it sees the profoundly abnormal as normal.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Your complaining about a church telling other people what is normal...by telling other people what is normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I didn't realise its not just a RC thing.

The Catholic broadcast has sometimes been challenged,[5][6][7] while some non-Catholic faith leaders have called for its continuation,[8] notably the Church of Ireland (although less prominent than in the Roman Catholic church the Angelus is also part of the Anglican/Episcopal tradition)[9] and the Presbyterian Church in Ireland. Archbishop Eames of the Church of Ireland welcomed the new version in 2009.[10] The secretary of the mosque in Clonskeagh and the Chief Rabbi supported keeping the broadcast.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Angelus_(Irish_broadcast)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,708 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's the usual whataboutery. I'm surprised the thread lasted this long before a "new" account tried this derailing tactic.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Eh.... no?

I'm not complaining about the church at all - I'm complaining about the dept of education. And I haven't even commented on what is out isn't normal.

Church can do whatever it it feels is normal, just not on the State's ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Do you think it is normal to dress eight year old girls up as mini-brides and tell them they're eating the body of someone who died 2,000 years ago?

Do you think it is normal to tell people that a normal, healthy activities like masturbation or homosexual sex are wrong and sinful and will get you condemned to fiery hell for eternity?

The Church left normality behind a long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,754 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

What do you mean just not on the State’s ticket? If the State is being provided with a service, it has an obligation to pay the service provider, whether it’s the Church or any other organisation providing their services to the State, such as any of the over 500 Approved Housing Bodies, a number of which are religious in nature. The full list is here -

https://www.ahbregulator.ie/app/uploads/2022/05/AHBRA-Register-of-AHBs-April-2022.xlsx

It’s true that any service provider is generally prohibited from discrimination, but there are exemptions under certain circumstances by which they are permitted to discriminate provided the discrimination is the only reasonable means of achieving a legitimate aim, such as maintaining the ethos of a school or establishment in the provision of their services to the public.

****. Sorry. Thought you quoted me, no idea why.

Yes Andrew those things are normal, you really haven’t been to Church in a while, have you? I don’t expect you’ll offer an answer to that question either, while claiming that everyone should adhere to your standards of what you consider normal, even though the prevalence of your views in society suggests they are very much the definition of abnormal given they are only held by a minority of people in Irish society.

The difference between us is that I respect your rights to hold and to express your views, abhorrent and all as I think they are, whereas you would try and suppress anyone’s views which deviate from your narrow minded view of Irish society.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,615 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

One eyed Jack, I'm not sure that society does still hold those views. The, relatively, recent same sex marriage ref and abortion ref, not to mention divorce ref, the increasing calls for non religious schools and the continuing drop off in church attendances would suggest that while people may still go along with many of the traditions of the church, they do so as a means to a end rather than based on some belief.

The church part of the day is almost incidental at this point. Done for a variety or reasons including keeping the grandparents happy, the kids don't want to miss out. But very few have claimed that people are actually invested in the church itself.

I’ll be honest Leroy, if Andrew is incapable of engaging in a discussion in good faith, I’m incapable of taking his effort of a risible argument seriously.

Andrew asked me were the views he pointed to regarding girls wearing communion dresses normal, they are. To tell them they’re eating the body of someone that died 2,000 years ago? Yep, that’s normal too.

Healthy activities like masturbation and homosexual sex are wrong and sinful? Yep, that’s normal too. The condemned to fiery hell for all eternity is more of an Evangelical thing than Catholic teaching, but among Evangelicals the condemnation to fiery hell for all eternity is normal, I wasn’t gonna argue over semantics when it’s clear Andrew was engaging in hyperbolic nonsense designed to provoke a reaction like he’s a ten year old child in the playground that suddenly discovered the power of the word ‘gay’ and was determined to humiliate his targets by using it on them.

Your point is very different to Andrew’s in that you’re referring to amendments to the Irish Constitution, which is quite distinct from Canon Law. The referenda you’re referring to were in relation to Civil Law - repeal of the 8th amendment, decriminalisation of homosexuality, divorce and while not even close to coming to fruition, increasing calls for non-religious schools which doesn’t require any change in Irish law, they are all positions which are separate from the Church.

They are also minority positions, and I doubt you’re seriously considering arguing that people generally discuss masturbation outside of the confines of the schoolyard where children, boys in particular, will often provoke other boys by calling them **** and expressing their belief that 98% of men are ****, the other 2% are liars.

Abortion and divorce are also not normally discussed in general conversation in the same way as Communions, Confirmations, White Weddings, etc are talked about, not nearly as frequently or in such positive and glowing terms.

The reason that not just very few, but nobody has claimed that people are actually invested in the Church itself is because there’s no need for anyone to defend themselves against the allegations of a tiny minority of people who make the point that all the evidence suggests to them that people aren’t invested in the Church, as if people should have to prove themselves to anyone? I don’t think people should have to prove themselves to anyone, and certainly not to people who are determined to humiliate into submission anyone who doesn’t share their views.

Fortunately for everyone else in society, they are free to ignore the minority of people who only wish they had the authority to bring about the suppression of belief by suppressing the people who hold those beliefs. Historically speaking, that’s never gone down well in any society, which is why I support the establishment of schools which are not religious in nature, while I don’t support the attempt to “get religion out of schools”, because as well as that makes no sense whatsoever, it would also be a violation of international human rights laws and standards, which is something I’d rather wasn’t imposed upon the people of Ireland.

I really don’t concern myself with the idea of that happening anyway tbh as the chances of it happening are about as likely as Jesus making a comeback 😏

EDIT: the absolute irony that the word ‘wänkers’ is censored by Vanilla 😂

They're not "telling people what is normal". They use our national broadcaster to inflict daily calls to prayer on the entire population at our expense. They use 89% of primary schools to indoctrinate little kids daily at our expense. Neither of these things is remotely normal in a developed country.

• Advertisement

In spite of programmes like States of Fear etc., they're in general still far too deferential towards it and afraid of it. Bong!

Should I care what those clowns think? For years they've all been very careful to not step on each other's toes, bad for business.

It's a discussion site, you're allowed respond to anyone whether Flinty says it's ok or not.

Yeah, but he made a direct accusation towards another poster that I thought was made at me.

The state is the customer and has paid for the ticket. And it should, as a secular state, be asking for a secular service.

Now, if the contractor - in this case the church - can not or is not providing said service , the contract needs to be reviewed and the ticket needs to be checked.

I'm just pointing normal is subjective. In this case you're telling other people what their normal should be. You're also saying what you consider to be a "developed" country.

The point is the Angelus isn't solely RC.

I don't care what they or you think either.

....and we are back to "its a business"...

I didn't say anything about what was ok or not. Simply pointing out I didn't quote them.

• Advertisement

Not what it asked for - what it should have asked for.

Advertisement