Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get tenant to leave

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭airy fairy

I have no intention of proving you with proof.

I lived through the living nightmare that was a tenant withholding without payment in my property for 12 months. My experience with prtb are legit. My experience with a solicitor and barrister, in a court of law and what exchanges and admissions took place are legit. I have no reason to lie.

The dogs on the street know Threshold give this kind of advice to tenants. And not far behind them is the prtb. And I won't withdraw, or give you proof of such.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

if you mean that property taxes are too low than i agree with you , other than that , i dont really know what you mean ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,538 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Advising them they can overhold would not necessarily mean advising them not to pay you the rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭PalLimerick

Well it's hearsay then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Sub let after moving out?

The biggest issue I can see is that the tenant knows if they wait until the sheriff the reward is that they are handed paperwork to present to the council who are obliged to house them.

• Advertisement

have a chat with them and suggestion something like a " relocation donation "

it happens all of the time as the process is simply too long and drawn out , most dishonest people who if willing to steal from a landlord for two years while continuing to live in their property are usually pretty pragmatic in other ways and understand fiscal incentives

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

between 5 and 8 grand for an illegal eviction is still cheaper than legal fees and high court order.

Kind of worrying that it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭rightmove

my lot had threshold on their sides also. My agent told me they had been to see threshold when I originally tried to move them. I initially was going to move back into the house myself (related to my employment situation at the time).

i was renting at the same time but would never think of playing my LL who never issued official notice or anything. It was a gentlemans agreement and I stuck to it. When I was unable to move on the given week he told me to stay on until my issues were sorted. - no need for prtb or anyone else - funny that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DubCount

This is not difficult to deal with.

In the UK, 3 months arrears is automatic grounds for eviction - no excuses. The landlord simply goes to the local county court, proves the arrears and gets an eviction order. Then the Landlord gets the bailiffs in to do the eviction based on the County Court Order. There is no time wasted going through pointless hearings and appeals with the RTB, there is no "lets give the tenant a few extra months" in the courts. Quick action, and the Landlord can also effectively and efficiently recoup losses suffered from any assets the tenants own (cars etc.). The tenant once evicted becomes the responsibility of the Local Authority to house (not the landlord).

In Ireland, the Local Authority or central government are happy with the status quo. While someone squats in a private landlords property, the government don't have to provide them with accommodation, and they don't appear in the homeless statistics. Long term thinking is not important to them. The result is a cohort of rogue tenants who know how to play the system who move from one home to another stinging a stream of landlords along the way. There is no consequence to their actions, so it continues.

To fix this:

1) Allow RTB orders to be enforced by the County Sheriff without recourse to the courts, or abolish the requirement to go through the RTB and allow landlords go directly to the courts to obtain an eviction order.

2) Make staying in a property for more than x months without paying rent a criminal offence

3) Allow for the meaningful repayment of debts owed by tenants to Landlords through the seizure of assets.

County Councils bidding up private buyers on private housing rather than building their own.

Tax incentives for certain market participants makes it attractive to pay higher prices for units than they otherwise might. Thus bumping up prices a bit more.

Billions of state money flowing into the private rental market which allows social tenants priority access to housing that they would otherwise not be able to afford - reducing the supply for private renters and driving up prices overall.

Confidence that, at the end of the day, the government would cushion any bubble bursting like they did the last time - taking bad assets and holding them to prevent disorderly firesales all hitting the market together, rules changed for moratoriums on house repossessions etc. Allowing banks some leeway not to realise some losses on their books right away.

I'm not saying that the above is all bad, but it does benefit property owners. So they shouldn't be automatically whinging when there might be something that helps protect tenants! Even if that thing can be abused, it is still there for a reason.

• Advertisement

The residential tenancies act 2004. They are legally obliged to pay rent and abide by the rules set out in said act.

But you know as well as everyone else on here that when it comes to breaking the terms, only one side is punished punitively.

They were advised to do so by Threshold, when asked by a judge as to the reasons of non payment of rent. (Tenant actually witheld rental assistance, paid to his bank, from social).

Might have been just an excuse to the judge for not paying the rent.

all that is funded by the kind of people who tend to own their own house , the government instructed local authorities to buy every property they could get their hands on to appease various left wing activists , beit charities led by a particular priest or whoever , none of that says anything about support for home owners

• Registered Users Posts: 68,760 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Various welfare/market/etc things are not on topic in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Just wait till you find out about the tenants that overhold for years, then gut the place at the end causing 20k+ damage on top of everything else.

If it was an excuse, then several other tenants, with legal rep, had the same excuse on the particular court day. It was an opener. A conveyor belt of tenants being brought to court for non payments and evictions on the day.

That risk is why the rate of return is relatively high. It is up to you to manage that risk. If you can't do that, then you have to accept the consequences if you still proceed.

If I have 100k in the bank, earning 0.001% interest, I might decide I'd like a far far higher return than the safety of a deposit account. I can put it all into Bitcoin if I want to tomorrow. But then I can't come crying if I lose a heap of it.

The processes and steps are spelled out on how to get a tenant out. You just have to follow them.

Well maybe it "works". Did the judge not remark on the advice being given? Someone advising you to do something wrong is usually never acceptable as an excuse.

Oh absolutely- but currently rental income is taxed so highly and coupled with next to zero rights for the landlord or years to implement those rights, if a tenant decides not to pay their rent after a few months, the risks and the hassles far outweigh the benefits- the landlord is agreeing to maintain the house, keep it in good repair etc and also taking on the risk of the property falling in price- and for that risk, the government takes 50% of what they earn and gives them feic all rights if the tenant goes bad- the rate of return on investment on bricks and mortar renting for a landlord with just one property is just not worth the hastle

id gladly accept only 50% of the market value of rental income into my pocket, saving the tenant a fortune if I could kick that tenant out in a matter of weeks if that tenant went bad and claim back any damages - but I won’t hold my breath on that idea being implemented - there has to be a better way here- the current situation neither suits single property landlords or tenants or government - rental income can supplement retirement income, it’s rainy day money etc etc - it’s a good way to make small additional income but right now the risks outweigh the rewards

• Advertisement

Rental income is not taxed so highly. It is taxed the same as any other income. If your only income for the year was 10k in rent, you would pay zero (or close enough) in tax

Keeping the house in good repair is of course an allowed expense which is written off against the rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

well this escalated quickly.....

A great post and waaay too much common sense for our government I’m afraid- I’d certainly stay in the rental market as a single property landlord if I had those rights

You’re over estimating the return on investment and level of risk as a single property landlord - even if they do own the property outright

50% of income goes to government

it can take years to evict a tenant if they are or go bad

you won’t recoup the losses of property damage and lost rent

A balanced portfolio of stocks and shares while risky would likely provide similar returns and far less hastle - and tax efficient if saving in an approved retirement scheme - but some people like their bricks and mortar investment - but it’s not a desirable way to invest right now - there are better options out there

I’ve seen those reports in the past- must be so depressing for the property owners- mainly in England but I’ve seen enough stories in Ireland too

Don't forget that if you walk into the bank today with 50k in your arse pocket, get a mortgage of 250k to buy a rental property, you will indeed have to pay tax on the net rental income (same as any other income). Then if the remaining rent covers, or nearly covers, the mortgage repayments (which it does for many people), you will be able to sell that property for 300k with zero tax. Not too bad of a return on your 50k!

It is up to you whether you can mange the risk, and then whether you want to take the risk or not. Idiosyncratic risk is not, nor should it ever expected to be, rewarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I don’t think LLs have an issue with risk per say, they do have an issue with the one sided nature of that risk though. Ideally the risk should be balanced with both parties penalised if obligations are not met. The reality is that there are little or no consequences for a tenant, and punitive consequences for a LL even when they act lawfully. In the op’s situation, provided notice is valid, they should be able to use their home. Instead, they may end up paying rent themselves, and have costs associated with exercising they legal rights. When this is over and the tenants leave, there really is no hope of recovering those costs. That is inherently unfair. At the very least, there should be a reasonable way of those costs being applied to the party who has not abided with the tenancy agreement/legislation.

I read some rubbish on here about removing subsidies or blaming LLs for not accepting risk, as if it is the LLs fault for the tenant getting a hand out from taxpayers, the fact is that if legislation was more balanced, LLs would not find themselves in the op’s situation and less would be leaving the sector at a time when under normal circumstances, investors should be piling into the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Tenants who don't pay rent are breaking the law and they are also in breach of contract but it doesn't seem to matter. Landlords on the other hand are subject to fines of up to €15k as well as costs up to €15k for a breach of the rules. They can be fined €4k if they fail to register a tenancy and face a criminal conviction. It seems a bit one sided.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭amacca

If you only have one rental property then you only have one basket.....with a rotten egg in it.

• Advertisement

That is exactly the point. It might not be a good idea to put your eggs into that basket.

If you want exposure to property, you can buy into a reit or similar fund which would have diversified across properties, if not across markets and locations.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement