Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welfare recipients can become landlords soon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

No it hasn't ,means tested welfare even going 10e over limits gets you cut of cut off ,

Yet now to help Ukrainians single people can earn an extra 14,000 and receive full benefits and extra supports such as medical cards .

It's there in black white ,you like trying to spin everything but you can't spin this oh this is nothing new .

• Registered Users Posts: 40,458 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

you really need to read what this is about. it is not about ukranians or single people. I can't imagine there are too many ukranian single people living here who own their own home. it is people on means tested social welfare allowance being able to rent a room in a house they own and the rent received not affecting their social welfare. the same way everybody else can earn up to 14000 by renting a room in their home and not being taxed on the rental income.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,232 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I did try.

Anyone else up to trying to explain to someone who clearly has only read the headline and has just gone straight to blatant contrarianism?

But means tested welfare payments not being effected even if you earn 14k yet if your a couple who one or another Loses their jobs and gets a means tested payment they could lose out on getting anything if one is earning 10e over income limits , but someone in a house on the same means tested payment takes in a Lodger and can earn 14,000+ and keep all of their welfare payments and secondary benefits .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,886 ✭✭✭jj880

So a welfare recipient with a house could be renting out a room to someone killing themselves trying to save up a deposit to get into the (currently completely dysfunctional and overpriced) property market. At the same time this tennant is paying income tax to fund their landlords welfare AND the non means testing of the 14k rent?

Jesus this country is mental.

• Advertisement

No I stating the obvious it's like when someone mentions revenue allowed this ,

Getting welfare payments which are means tested and punishing a family for earning a few euros more as I said above take the same with someone earning 14,000 extra and keep all of their payments

so nothing to do with ukranian single people then? I've no idea where you pulled that nonsense from.

Where does the idea stem from oh yeah taking in Ukrainans without losing any welfare despite earning from it .

It's there in the article it specifically mentions the Shortage of housing for Ukrainian refugees

The family are entitled to avail of the exact same scheme, what exactly is confusing you here?

Jesus how far do you want to take it. Can a single person with no intention of settling down and having kids rant and rave at the couple next door with their expensive bundle of fúck?

Tax credits, Free health care when she was pregnant, free delivery, free GP visits, free inoculations, free developments, children's allowance, maternity, subsidised pre school, education, good forbid the little shít plays sports because that's tax paying dollar too....etc, etc, etc.

Be some crack if we all "debated" with the same level of contrarianism.

you thought it was about ukranian single people being allowed to earn 14,000 without it affecting their social welfare. it isn't.

• Advertisement

No it's about one person on social welfare being able to earn 14,000 on top of their welfare while punishing another person who's partner earns €5 over the income limits who in turn isn't entitled to a payment or secondary benefits such as the medical card .

But it's nothing to do with Ukrainians 🤣 despite it being in the first few lines of the article ,

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭B2021M

Can you re read the post you're talking about. He didn't say what you think.

Some numpty even liked the post 🤦 helps to read a post and article before telling someone what they thought they were thinking despite having no clue on the subject

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

In 2019 there were over 2m welfare recipients, and over 3m beneficiaries.

Surely hundreds of thousands of these people own houses?

Recipients 2019

Pension = 650,000

Working-Age income supports = 269,000

Working-Age on Employment Supports = 50,000

Illness, Disability, Caring = 400,000

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

Housing is a money making racket aided by the government.

They have no interest in building our own to rent or sell to taxpayers.

More private profits in using REIT's and sure the housing minister has shares in them anyway.

This is a story created to make it seem like government are exploring every avenue, when they are not. Its a gimmick.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,018 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Most of those 650,000 pensions are contributory and hence not means tested and this doesn't apply to them - they could do what they want.

Not a lot of the rest are going to own their own homes; or be in a position to take in a lodger if they do.

Imagine in a few years people on long term unemployment are you actively seeking employment or training nah sure I'm a full time landlord , if I get a job you'll cut me welfare

Nope if he gets a job he has the exact same entitlement.

Also it's open to people who avail of welfare not just job seekers.

Won't have to get a job if he's on welfare and a landlord , unlike ordinary joe who would face sanctions for not taking up employment

Nope, renting out a room in your primary residence is not covered by landlord / tenant laws.

Nor would renting out a room in his own home preclude him from "sanctions" whatever they may be if he fails to engage with social welfare.

I suppose he could say he's official job is "Landlord" but then he wouldn't be entitled to job seekers would he?

• Advertisement

He wouldn't be entitled to anything if he has an income before hand , families get cut off or reduced payments if they go €5 over income level , but if you rent a room you can earn €14,000 and keep all of the welfare .

He has been entitled to this very same scheme for years if he was working.

Is the point not that people who received social housing can now benefit from this while people who can't afford property and have earnings too high for social housing have no property to use to avail of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

The point of it is that it allows for a certain amount of spare domestic accommodation capacity to be used by those who need it, while not penalising those who can supply it. It's not intended to fix the housing crisis, it's not intended to make social welfare recipients rich. It's tapping a source for a few extra bedrooms to become available for house shares that previously did not exist.

So they get a market rate of rent tax free on a property that they didnt pay a market price for?

You jumped on a thread started by Kermit and took it at face value. Big mistake there.

Anto's and Deco's across the land aren't going to benefit from this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭bmc58

Well I'm one of those people you described but there's no way myself and my wife would have a lodger in our home now.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

I think there may be some merit in it if it increases the number of properties available to rent! which has to be a good thing.

it would seem like it could reduce the potential hassle to someone renting out! and add stock to the rental market which would not otherwise come on stream. Maybe it is an idea that if you are availing of this non-taxable initiative, the rent is controlled?

It may also be a case for older people who may be in care or being cared for, with relatives, but are keeping their house/apmt in case they need it for the fair deal, to encourage them to allow their property to be rented out.

There may also be incidents where a person on s/w moves in with an elderly or sick relative as their carer, and could possibly rent out their own property, it may make this easier for them.

I don't like the tone used referring to social welfare recipients! I think I would prefer someone who is entitled to social welfare getting income from rent rather than some vulture fund or big landlord!

We're talking about people who are not working being allowed to earn 14,000 + while cutting off supports for those who are working but earn €5 over a set figure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Confused11811

With respect Gatling it's is a half arsed government announcement today, and your getting worked up about it. It infact changes where little for the majority of people on a welfare payment who can rent out their houses The majority of those welfare recipients who can rent a room will be pensioners on the defined contribution pension. Even before today the could rent a room without concern as tier pension was never affected. I'm a contributionary pensioner (widower) and a home owner I could already rent a room tax free. I knew that already , however a lot of other pensioners wouldn't know that and now it's been pointed out to them they can now look at an extra source of income.

Regarding non contributionary welfare payments those on allowances very few would own a house, most will be be in council houses, on RAS and HAP. The local council administer the rates of rent charge here or in the case of HAP and RAS how much the tentant pays to the overall cost of rent. What the government needs to do is clarify how exactly the rent received from the rent a room scheme will be treated by the council in the calculation of rent the main tentant of the property. At the moment that rent will treated as income for the main tentant. On top of that the income of the entire household including the rent a room licensees will be included in a rent review. It's a complex system called "differential rents". The council rent increase could negate any extra income from a licensee for the main tentant. As things stand it's not the cash cow you might think it is.

Advertisement