Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommnedations for a modern wireless alarm system?

• 05-04-2022 9:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a modern wireless alarm system but a little disapointed with the offerings out there and wondering am I missing something.

I was put off by how steep the monthly fee is for Phonewatch, so I researched alternatives. The HKC system stuck out as a lot of people seem to recommend it here. The app is really offputting to me though, it looks so outdated I would be fearful for its longevity looking 5 or 10 years down the road.

Are there other systems I should be looking at with longevity in mind? Or is HKC the only system thats somewhat future proof since you own the equipment long term?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

i agree that the HKC app is clunky, but it is bullet proof. I expect HKC will update it at some stage. I can’t understand what you think this has any bearing on the system being future proofed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭davebuck

Having recently moved to the HKC app I find it bullet proof as well and like all applications I'm sure it will be updated along with the panels and sensors etc. in time but for the moment it definitely provides a reasonable monthly charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,744 ✭✭✭✭altor

HKC do have a new look app coming, its still in testing before its full release.

For future proof id be more so looking at what system will be still here in 5/10 years as the cost of a wire free system is not cheap, especially with price increased due to system components increasing.

The free systems and €40 odd a month are designed to make the money back over the life of the system, in reality you do pay it back and are still paying for it in the years to come once its still monitored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭kub

As Altor said, it is currently being tested and HKC being as they are, will not release it until it is perfect.

Well done on looking beyond Phonewatch, I am always amazed at how people do not do their homework when considering a security system.

However in all honestly, I feel the actual coverage, the necessary devices and the peace of mind are more important than a phone App.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 264 ✭✭davidconroy46

The homework is definitely not done on phonewatch systems. It is a Honeywell system, designed for them. Unfortunately you will never own the system. No company can take them over because you need software. Network is different, they are using the risco wicomm . You will own the system after the contact has expired. Any installer that knows risco should be able to take it over. Unfortunately a lot of installers no nothing about risco. Not a bad system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

Thanks for the insight folks. I suppose my concern around HKC's outdated looking phone app was that I'm a software developer myself and I've seen how lack of investment in an app is an indicator of longevity issues in the 10 year term.

But its great to hear they are coming out with an updated app, that shows to me they are continuing to invest in the alarm system and gives me confidence to buy. The Ajax system from Homesecure.ie looks very slick but looks like there will be issues finding people to maintain it when out of contract with them. So the enthusasm here around HKC is convincing me to get that system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Would you consider buying Ajax components other than through Homesecure, and self install? I'm not sure that maintenance is or will be particularly a big issue as the components seem to be relatively stand alone i.e. if one fails, the whole system will not necessarily go down. If monitoring is not important for you, it's an option you could consider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

I suppose I could, I just wanted to keep my options open for maintenance/monitoring. While I like a bit of DIY, not sure if I want that project of self installing and then maintaining after a long days work 😁

Don't let "the project" worry you. It really couldn't be easier. You just need to set up the hub (basically connect it to Wifi, Ethernet, Sim Card) and then you can add sensors as and when it suits you. With the hub, you just need to make once connection to get it up and running. Allow yourself maybe a half hour to figure out and set up the Hub, then maybe (at the most) 10 to 15 minutes per sensor.

For example, first day, I set up the hub and sensors on three windows. I am not in the least bit technical. I'm still adding bits to it; prioritising downstairs first, moving to upstairs next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

Could I ask where you bought yours? Any reason not to go through Homesecure?

NVM, they only supply the system as part of a monitored service I see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,744 ✭✭✭✭altor

Sorry for the delay getting back to you. Yes, it's the reasons mentioned already - I read here before that HomeSecure are now owned by the Phonewatch people, and that put me off. Second, I couldn't really see the value that HomeSecure would add other than monitoring. The Ajax system is so easy to install that it's really professional standard but with DIY skill levels needed to install. I also have a big old rambling house, and I knew HomeSecure would cost me a fortune. So, I bought what I needed over a few months and was able to add to the system over those few months.

I bought from https://best-alarm-system-webshop.eu/ A flawless buying experience and they give a discount if you buy over €500

Cool. Thanks for the reply. Job done. Have about 1/4 of the bits installed and will add more over time.

Way more convenient than paying all up front.

Advertisement