Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Weinstein and #MeToo/sexual misconduct scandals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

What did he do?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,716 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Richard Dreyfuss on working with Murray. His wife accused him of domestic violence during their divorce in 2008.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/what-about-bob-richard-dreyfuss-bill-murray-irish-drunken-bully-ashtray-forgive-170802085.html

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Bill Murray? Apparently he said "something" in jest to a female colleague and she wasn't best pleased. There's an internal investigation and that's kind of all we know. Murray himself appeared genuinely apologetic, contrite in a recent interview, when asked what happened.

I'd still like to know what he said. In fact, I'd like to what was said from half of these cases, because without that knowledge the discussion seems kinda pointless, especially in relation to the topic's title and the particular case which sparked it off.

I'd wager what was said was pretty insignificant in most of them, in the grand scheme of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Well in this instance a whole production was shut down and is still shut down afaik so I can't imagine it was insignificant but we can only speculate.

But this is the problem FL18. It could be the most outrageous thing he's ever done, or it simply have been a mickey mouse pub joke.

As for the production shutting down, it's hardly surprising. When a top name star leaves a production I would expect a shut down while a suitable replacement of is found. Assuming his part was more than just a few lines, which is what Murray is more than happy to do nowadays.

I mean, it's probably just my spidey senses tingling. But I feel that this is all just a bit of a storm in a teacup. Probably the same for the Langella incident too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

It's Bill Murray though. He's one of the biggest names in the business, I don't think you shut down production to replace him because of something insignificant. Also AFAIK the production was just shut down, it wasn't a case of he left and they shut down. Open to correction though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

AFAIK, the production was shut down by the studio, pending an investigation. It wasn't that Murray left himself. Sounds like they're playing it safe, having an internal investigation to figure out what happened and taking action if needed. TBH the lack of detail may just be legal prudence and nothing more.

I know why the production was shut down. And yes, the whole thing sounds like the nuclear option TBH.

As for lack of detail, that's the problem with discussing any of these issues. You hear that so and so was chucked off a set for "inappropriate behaviour" and the immediate reaction is to think of the worst case scenario because of the drastic measures that are taken. But it may be nothing more than an old man joke that someone didn't find funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,329 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Jeff Cooper, renowned Hollywood Architect and member of the Motion Picture Academy, has been found guilty of child molestation.

It might be, may not be, I suppose the investigation will come to its conclusion. If Murray's public comments are anything to go by it might resolve itself amicably. But yes all we can do in this specific case is report the incidents and that's it. Usually the way these things go is X gets reported and if there's any credence it's cos of known rumours or past misbehaviour. Especially if it's an older actor whose generation essentially functioned within the Casting Couch culture, codifying sexual assault as part of the industry.

It's kinda "funny" how this production is helmed by Aziz Ansari, himself having had a 15 minute window of accusations against him. Think the world moved on when it transpired to "only" be a bad date where Ansari behaved like a horny àss.

Interesting details regarding Frank Langhella's firing.

https://deadline.com/2022/05/frank-langella-fired-the-fall-of-the-house-of-usher-netflix-series-details-1235029281/

Jokes that were deemed crude and offensive, and apparently the 'touching the leg' incident was during filming an intimate scene, but Langhella did something that was not planned out by the intimacy coach. So he touched his co-stars leg, during a scene, and that was deemed inappropriate.

Other things included 'smacking' the makeup artist out of the way while heading to film a scene.

It's pretty detailed. Interesting account.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,701 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Kevin Spacey charged with 4 counts of sexual assault in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 60,699 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Noel Clarke on Suicidal Feelings, Compares ‘Cancel Culture’ to McCarthyism: ’20 Years of Work Was Gone in 24 Hours’

U.K. film and TV star Noel Clarke has spoken up about the so-called ‘cancel culture’ and McCarthyism and revealed that he had suicidal feelings after sexual harassment allegations against him.

In an interview with U.K. tabloid Daily Mail, the first after London’s Metropolitan Police decided not to investigate the claims against him, Clarke said: “Twenty years of work was gone in 24 hours. I lost everything. The company I built from the ground up, my TV shows, my movies, my book deals, the industry respect I had. In my heart and my head it has damaged me in a way I cannot articulate.”

“There has been no arrest, no charges, no trial, no verdict but I have been criminalized,” Clarke added. “This is a form of modern McCarthyism.”

The fall was swift from April 2021, when multiple sexual misconduct allegations emerged against Clarke, best known for starring in shows such as “Doctor Who” and “Bulletproof” and the films “Kidulthood” and “Adulthood.” The allegations, first published as part of an extensive investigation by U.K. newspaper The Guardian, spanned sexual harassment, unwanted touching or groping, sexually inappropriate behaviour and comments on set, professional misconduct, taking and sharing sexually explicit pictures and videos without consent, and bullying between 2004 and 2019.

Following the allegations, the BAFTA, which had conferred an Outstanding British Contribution to Cinema Award to Clarke, suspended his membership and withdrew the award. The actor also lost deals with All3Media, the super-indie backers of Clarke’s production company Unstoppable Film and Television, U.K. broadcaster ITV pulled “Viewpoint,” starring Clarke, and the actor was also accused of harassment on BBC’s “Doctor Who” set years ago.

‘If we don’t need police and judges and juries any more, if we only need social media and the broadcasters, then what world do we live in?’ Clarke said. “At what point did the broadcasters in this country become the judges, juries and executioners of people? At what point did BAFTA decide they were no longer about films, but they were about judging people’s lives?

Clarke, who has always denied the allegations, is suing The Guardian and BAFTA for defamation. He told the Daily Mail that at his lowest point he was suicidal and was snapped out of it by his one-year-old son. “Up to that point, I had been waiting for the right moment to kill myself. I was out of here. Done. I didn’t care about anything. My mind was destroyed.”

In the interview, Clarke admits that he may have been “over tactile” sometimes. “I’ve been a regular dude, for sure, I flirt. Have I ever made a saucy comment? One hundred per cent. But not to the extent that it warranted the destruction of my life,” Clarke said.

“I’m not a predator. I have crossed the road to avoid walking behind women since I was 15 years old,” Clarke added.

I’m not a predator. I have crossed the road to avoid walking behind women since I was 15 years old

Well, that's just a downright weird thing to say. Especially in top of...

I’ve been a regular dude, for sure, I flirt. Have I ever made a saucy comment? One hundred per cent. But not to the extent that it warranted the destruction of my life

🤨

Yeah.... normally I'd take the 'believe women' with a pinch of salt (we know every gender can lie)... but enough women spoke of things, from unwanted pics of his dong, to video of him being an absolute jerk to actresses.

To the point where they broke down crying (again, on video-and no, this was not part of the scene they auditioned for).

Clarke accidentally points out how poor conviction rates for sexual assault charges are. He may not have any arrest, as he whines - but often that's kind of the point. It's a he-said-she-said scenario where the more powerful person has total control of the scenario, unless there's a mass of testimony and even then someone has to make a statement. While ehor wants humiliating, degrading and dehumanising incidents replayed - and interrogated?. Clarke should consider himself lucky the law leans his way, given the sheer volume of incidents against him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Read the lengthy piece about him in the Guardian back when those stories (20 or so?) first emerged, including talk of naked auditions (wtf?). Shortly after, he did the 'I'm getting professional help' routine. For things that didn't happen eh, Noel?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Well either it's a he-said-she-said scenario or it's not. Other testimony means it's not. I am assuming you are not suggesting that when it's one person's word against another then you should convict. What kind of power did Clarke have to stop the police's investigation? For the record I reckon he is guilty but in typical fashion he probably believes his behaviour was harmless but I still would not want him convicted without evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,716 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

There's also a very big area that qualifies as unprofessional enough to stop you getting work, without being serious/provable enough for a criminal conviction. It seems Clark's behaviour built himself a reputation as a guy people just don't want to work with, or be around in a professional environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,699 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Harvey Weinstein’s rape conviction upheld by New York appeals court

Weinstein, 70, is jailed in California, where he was extradited last year to await trial on charges he assaulted five women

A New York appellate court has upheld Harvey Weinstein’s rape conviction, rejecting the disgraced film producer’s claims that the judge at the landmark #MeToo trial prejudiced him by allowing women to testify about allegations that were not part of the criminal case.

The ruling on Thursday by a five-judge panel in the state intermediate appeals court affirmed a milestone verdict in America’s reckoning with sexual misconduct by powerful figures, an era that began with a flood of allegations against Weinstein.

Weinstein, 70, is jailed in California, where he was extradited last year to await trial on charges he assaulted five women in Los Angeles and Beverly Hills from 2004 to 2013.........

Cary Fukunaga, director of No Time to Die, and producer (along with Steven Spielberg) of the upcoming Apple series Masters of the Air, has been accused of grooming and other allegations of misconduct.

Rolling Stone is not fit for toilet roll anymore.

Aye. Talking about that in The Flash thread; that film is kinda doomed if the reports are true, piled on top of the other things Miller has done.

• Advertisement

Advertisement