Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭DeiseDawg

Any news on ticket availability for Sunday? We need as many travelling as possible. Nothing on ticketmaster, will some become available later in week - like last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

If you look back at my post, i repeatedly referred to the need for "steeper terracing" , as this allows for greater capacity, better viewing for spectators and the possibility of being able to widen / lengthen field without the need to reduce capacity. When referencing Cusack Park etc., it was more about the ability to provide some cover on the terraces. It you look at O'Moore Park in Port Laois and put a roof on the terrace at the far side, you are very close to a stadium that meets our needs.

I agree about the shortage of seating for some patrons, but open seating is far from ideal in our climate, especially now with round robin games being played in May and sometimes you are better off standing and I am no young fella i can assure you. Walsh Park plans should be about trying to make a stadium that is cost effective, capable of hoisting 15,000 / 18,000 supporters for two games a year, while providing some degree of protection from the elements. I fail to see the need to create "Fanzones" and the likes for the sake of it, it should be about maximizing capacity in a safe manner. It could be considered including additional seating at the corners of the existing stand by bringing it around to join the terraces behind the goals but whatever way it needs careful consideration based on our needs and budget. We quite simply do not have the population or the funds to look at creating a miniature Pairc ui Caoimhe, but we should be able to rival O'Moore Park - we will only come even close to filling it twice a year and possibly an odd league game. .

On the issue of Cork Supporters in the stand personally i feel it can be hard when actually sitting in the stand to judge where banks of supporters are, as opposed to standing on a bank opposite where you get an all encompassing view. Maybe it was the vibrancy of the red being far greater than our navy (given that majority of our supporters gear is now that colour) but to me and most people I spoke with on the North Bank , the red was by far the more dominant colour on view - an expression i heard repeated many times on the North terrace was "we know now where all the Stand Tickets went" . I also referenced that noise coming from a covered stand, tends to be magnified by echoes, another reason for suggestions that as much cover as possible be included in the new Walsh Park if we are to truly make it a "cauldron"

I did also personally question the attendance figures as did those around me, as there certainly appeared to be an amount of space at each end of the stand, this again is possibly down to the allocation of stand tickets being less than normal based on health and safety, and there seemed to be quite a number of tickets available around the ground, and there was loads of space on all the banks. I would hate to think that genuine supporters missed out because of capacity issues, as in my estimation there was easily scope for another 2,000 people in the ground without compromising anyone's safety but then again i am no health and safety expert.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Montys return

Tickets were sold out. You will always have no shows.

Cork season ticket holders would have all been in the stand. Also their clubs would get an allocation of stand tickets which would be more popular than terrace anyway.

Looking out from the stand to the other 3 areas of the ground, its the smallest crowd I've ever seen from a Cork following at a match.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

I was looking through an old phone for something this morning and I came across a text that was sent to me with the starting team for the 2017 All Ireland Final.

Only 5 starters from that match have seen game time in this years championship - with only 3 starting a game this year so far. Considering the team was relatively young, Brick Walsh aside, it’s amazing how many players have stepped away.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 McBurgermacs

It looked 50/50 red v blue from the bank opposite the stand. The cork fans seemed to have been all seated closer to the half way line as well. There were a few empty seats on the city side of the stand, but I'd put that down to everyone squeezing in to the benches instead of spreading out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

And standing in the walkway behind the back row which seems to be allowed .

• Registered Users Posts: 38,317 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭skaface

Think the head to head only counts in the event of both sides having identical score averages

Or is it if Cork beat Tipp they go through regardless of what Waterford do against Clare ??

Yeah a Cork win means we're out no matter if we beat Clare

System is some kick in the stones but tbh it's our own doing whatever the **** is after happening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Pudz2180

Don’t know how long it’s going to take to get over last Sunday. I was nervous beforehand because it was cork and taught surely they had a performance in them and was also worried because of our performance against Tipp which had been so flat and we were lucky to come away with the win. I taught the 3 week break came at just the right time for us to re energise the batteries and work on a few things. I expected us to come flying out of the blocks but unfortunately this never happened and it turned out to be the same flat, mistake ridden performance that we had produced against Tipp. It’s hard to know why things have gone so badly wrong for us. As bad as were on Sunday with 10mins to go we were only 3 points down and but for some very poor wides from a few frees we could have been ahead. Unfortunately once Ozzie got the line it was game over and cork won comfortably in the end. I hope whatever is going on in camp this week that both players and management are determined to put on a big performance in Ennis. If we are to go out at least go out fighting and make cork have to get the victory in thurles . On Sunday last I was resigned to the fact that our year was over but as the week has gone on I’m getting a small bit of hope that Tipp may do us a favour ( madness I know but **** it we need a bit of hope)

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭JD. 60

Still trying to get my head around last Sundays meltdown. The 3 week break should have been ideal so can’t understand the “overtrained” theory. Everyone knew that Cork would be fighting for their lives fair enough but at half time, there was only 1 point in it so one would have expected Waterford to wake the f**k up and take control of the 2nd half (with the help of a stiff breeze). Lo and behold, Cork won the 2nd half by 5 points. You usually get what you deserve in this life so no one can have any complaints if Cork get through, as is likely.

The round robin has not been kind to Waterford but you have to remember we were robbed by the (sneering) umpire in 2018 against Tipperary ; so, while the official result was a draw, Waterford actually won by 3 points. In the earlier match against Clare, there were multiple injuries and a red card. During the Covid era, Waterford beat Cork, Clare, Kilkenny, Laois, Galway & Tipperary in the championship so hats off for that.

Things often look bad in the short term but Ballygunner winning the AI club and Waterford winning the league is noteworthy. There are some high class young players waiting in the wings so all is not lost for the coming years.

Think the county championships won't be starting till the end of July and the leagues are going on atm. Will Ballygunner be a little complacent now that they have won the big one ?

It's annoying how early they started the intercounty championships. The 2018 and 2019 Munster and Leinster championships started mid May with all teams still playing past the June Bank Holiday

Paud O ' Dwyer from Carlow is referee on Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

I Don't think ye're without hope on Sunday I'd expect cork to get the job done but I was impressed with tipp v us a few weeks ago thought they brought a huge physicality and effort, they have a sniff on Sunday so would be expecting the same

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭puzl

You're worried about an article that talked about Cork's victory in Walsh Park, Dungarvan?

Pundit arena is trash and seems to be articles written by bots (or people as stupid as bots) that trawl boards or reddit for content.

If cork win they are through and our result doesn't matter. This means that if both cork and Waterford win and end up on 4 points each, or draw and end up ok 3 points, then cork go through on the h2h.

Obviously if Waterford win and Cork lose then we are through.

The only other scenario is if Cork and Waterford lose then the bottom 3 will all be on 2 points scoring difference will be considered. Tipp have to make up a huge deficit so it'll likely be decided by whichever of Cork or Waterford lose by the lowest margin. Every point counts this weekend. Every second of playtime is an opportunity to improve our odds of qualifying, but only if Cork don't beat Tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

I think head to head just count first and then scoring difference, but that's just my opinion. The weather has a huge impact on the score on a given day and in hurling, a winning team can pull ahead by 10 points in what was a really close game for 60 minutes. I don't think scoring difference tells the full story.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

Head to head only counts if it involves two teams on same points i.e. if Cork and Waterford both win or draw ending up on f 4 or 3 points each Cork go through on head to head. If three or more end up on same points it is scoring difference followed by scores for

For the record Tipp do not need such a a miracle to end up going through - By my calculations I think a 7 point win over Cork will wipe out Cork's scoring difference and put Tipp ahead of them by a point, then if Waterford loss by 7 points to Clare they would be on same scoring difference as Tipp would - and we all know how easy it is to gain a 6/7 point wining margin in a game.!!!! What i am not sure of , is what happens if two teams end up on the same scoring difference, does this eliminates one team, with the other two moving to scores for - it should in theory but you never know?

Simple facts are we have to go to Clare and win and hope other results go our way - as other posters have said qualifying having won one game out of four is unthinkable for a team serious about challenging for honours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

My understanding is if 2 teams finish on the same points then head to head decides who goes through

If 3 teams finish on the same points then scoring difference decides who goes through

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

This is 100% correct. Basically if Cork win your goosed even if ye win by 20 points in Ennis against a Clare 2nd team, if ye lose and Cork lose ye can actually go through on points difference,open to correction currently ye are -5, Cork -7 and Tipp -19 for points difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 clonner123

I have 2 adult and 2 juvenile North Terrace tickets for next Sunday v Clare if anyone is interested in buying them. Unfortunately we can’t make the match now.

PM me if interested

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭supernova5

its as simple as this,

Cork just need to win but any score and they are through, [regardless of everything else]

a Cork/Tipp draw and a Waterford loss puts Cork through

a Cork/Tipp draw and a Waterford win of any kind puts Waterford through

a Tipp win by 7 and a Clare win by 8 puts Tipp through

a Clare/Waterford draw and a Tipp win of any kind puts Waterford through

a Tipp win by 6 over Cork and a Clare win by 8 over Waterford leaves a dead heat between 3 teams [ -13 score difference]

then its decided on "highest total score for" followed by "highest total goals for" and or playoff

failing this and as an ultimate tiebreaker - Jupiter has to align with Saturn and Mercury must align Neptune...

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Denny61

If the two teams end up on same score then it goes head to head .I was told by guy in gaa headquarters

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭supernova5

now who said that Clare are going out with their 2nd team? that would be the sensible thing to do but Mr. Lohan doesn't operate that way, expect to see a full or near full team out

**** Munster Championship format

Ita crazy how were constantly failing with it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

I never said Clare would play a 2nd string, just gave a hypothetical situation, if I was to hazard a guess Clare could make 3-4 changes on Sunday, Ian Galvin is back from suspension the likes of Aaron Shanager, David Reidy and Shane Meehan could get a start too.

Duignan definitely has something against us. Don't know why tbh as we weren't really on his radar during his days playing for Offaly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Advertisement