Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent a room 14K tax free scheme to be extended to SW recipients

Options

Comments

Nah, nah, Anto and Deco do be now getting 14k a year to buy more drugs with. Hell in a hand-cart, Joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭YipeeDee

What exactly have I been mistaken about?

They’re not going to be taxed on the 14K therefore it is tax free.

The article says the 14K tax free allowance won’t affect their means testing, so if the SW tenant who has been means tested is receiving medical cards, fuel allowances etc, their benefits won’t be affected by the extra 14K earnings they’ll be getting from a property belonging to the State.

Even more happy days for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Happyhouse22

Pretty sure coke and hookers would be a business expense..

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Happyhouse22

Probably mentioned already but there is nothing stopping you from availing if the rent a room scheme. In fact you don’t even have to own your own property to avail of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,760 ✭✭✭✭L1011

This is for people who own their own property, not those in social housing (who would have to pay rent based on that income, and any benefits/income of their lodger(s) too).

Its realistically for people on non contributory pensions, those with living alone allowance on a contributory pensionm, some disability payments or temporarily unemployed but who own their property. A small enough number of people, many of whom wouldn't take a lodger in for any amount of money.

• Advertisement

You appear to be assuming I’ll be leaving my house vacant, I won’t be leaving it vacant.

I just won’t be renting it out again.

So they won’t getting any “vacant property taxes” from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,538 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I have a friend who is unfortunately on disability due to a degenerative disease which she will never recover from. She bought a house not too long before she was diagnosed. She had to leave her professional career soon afterwards due to the illness. So the measure could help people like that. Although due to covid, she would not really be able to take a lodger on at the minute

It is a bit much for some begrudging bitter randomer who has been lucky enough to have fully paid for a house 25 years ago to be whinging about the fact that my friend might be in a category of someone who is able to allow someone to live in a room in her house in return for a little bit of rent without affecting her disability payment.

How greedy can ya get like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Im not sure what this means. I might be reading it wrong but I think this would only apply to those on means tested welfare who own their house/are paying a mortgage? Which seems fairly fine to me

It wouldn't cover those in social housing etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

It doesn't matter where anyone got the money, whther out of their own pocket, bank account, under the mattress or as a loan to fund such a purchase, thats not relevant. Nor have I overestimated my ability or contribution in being able to outbid someone else, the whole system is messed up from being poorly handled by successive Govts, who could have introduced legislation that would benefit good tenants and landlords, now it mostly favours the worst of both. Anyone not letting a rental property seems to think you can write off anything at full cost, you cant, I had a good accountant, dont need them anymore as Im out a few years thankfully, its a joke of a system. Not one response why you are so adamant that a private Citizen should be taxed to the hilt for providing housing but a vulture fund isnt taxed at all?

You'll learn the hard way though that you will be taxed upon taking your money out of the business. When it stays inside the business, it is subject to business taxation rules. Once it flows out into your pocket so that you can spend it on coke and hookers, then it becomes subject to your personal tax at that point.

I am well aware you get taxed taking money out, but uninformed people come along and expect private landlords to treated differently, the worst of both worlds, assuming you can write everything off at full value even if it is a cost related to damage.

Anyway, none of that is relevant to the whole 14k topic, my opinion is householders (tenants, SW recipients as owners or tenants, and paye owners), should have the 14k limit, but taxation should start after the 14k, the idea of taxing the entire amount if a person receives 1 cent over 14k is ridiculous. There certainly shouldnt be RSI or USC on such an item, tax at a set rate, maybe not related to PAYE rates, all because it encourages people to open their homes up to letting a spare room or rooms which takes the pressure off Housing at NO cost to the state or taxpayers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,545 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

There is a number of anomalies in the way small LL are treated. First off we pay PRSI on the rental income but it is treated as unearned income. You therefore do not qualify for any social welfare benefits like disability, widow's pension or the old age pension.

Next there is a question of what you can write off in the line of either home improvements or even repairs. If you replace anything with a better quality product you are supposed to put the difference into capital expenditure.

There fore if you replace a teak front door with a PVC one you should only write down the value of the teak door. It's similar with facia and soffit or with windows. A tenant could seriously wreck your house a d you could find it impossible to offset the costs against tax.

You are not supposed to include pre rental expenses. If you decide to do up an old house to rent it and money spend may never be refundable through the tax system.

Revenue will seriously question any expenses you may include for phone, car expenses etc. The RTB is a pain. They have recently upgraded there system and your old login details are no longer available. Not only that it seems they may or may not have your previous details.

It was just by chance I saw the new annual fee which of you do not pay you get surcharged for. Imagine having to request you bill off the phone or electricity company.....and if you did not request it and pay it on time they would surcharge you.

There is a very good reason that small landlords are leaving the system, the present system is a deterrent as well to renting empty properties. A basic bed now is 300+ euro new by the time you add delivery. More and more LL are moving towards expecting tenants to provide there own beds and furniture.

Another bug bear is while a LL cannot legitimately refuse a HAP tenant, insurance companies can discrimate against LL that tent to these tenants and charge them a premium over standard pricing.

There is a huge difference between rental income in rural Ireland and large urban areas. My son is renting in Dublin he pays more for a room than I get for a two bed house.

Only a few years ago there was a move which was going to for e LL to bring rental properties up to A or B rating it was only because of the rental shortages bit was put on the back burner.

Property tax is not allowed against tax. The government at some stage in the future will make us responsible for what ever replaces the TV licience. They were going to make us responsible for water charges.

The whole rental area needs to be radically reformed.

The RTB need to become fit for purpose.

Any tenant/ LL disputes should be heard within 30 days. In the case of appeals by either side to court a three month deposit should be handed over.

If tenants stop paying the rent there should be automatic eviction. If there is an issue over rent the money should paid into an RTB escrow account to prevent tenants not paying after losing a case. No money into escrow account eviction.

Forms for rent reviews etc should be less complicated.

On the taxation side it should be treated like any other business. If PRSI is charged the rent should be treated as earned income.

Legitimate expenses should be allowed. If you have to replace a door or a window you should be allowed to write them off against tax.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭CrookedJack

You are mistaken when you say SW Tenants can earn up to 14k tax free by renting one of their publicly provided rooms. SW Tenants cannot sublet. So, basically the whole thrust of your post is wrong.

Your, frankly predjudiced, view of recipients of social welfare benefits being dolers in council houses is just false. Most recipients are pensioners, or carers, or single parents, or disabled. They should all be able to rent a room they own like any other citizen, subject to the same allowances.

If you put the cost of your door towards capital expenditure, then I'd imagine it increases your tax base for CGT purposes later.

The extension of being allowed to write capital improvements off against income would be that you could buy a small derelict property and extend and upgrade it over time, cancelling out the rental income, and end up with a valuable capital asset at the end. Should you sell it, then you would be subject to CGT on the increased amount (less than the higher rate of marginal tax) , but should you leave it to someone in your will, then it would not be. It would be subject to CAT by the person, which might be very little or nothing given personal exemptions.

Well if the allowance doesn’t apply to people living in Social housing provided by the State, I stand corrected on that.

I’d like to see clarification of it as there’s already social housing tenants on social media asking if they’ll be able to rent a room to their own adult children who are on social housing lists.

Thank you for informing me of this.

If this is the case, I stand corrected on that part.

However, will still be getting out of the renting market asap due to high taxation and ridiculous legislation.

Small time LL’s would be far better off to quit renting their property and instead rent out a couple of rooms in their own home and not be bound by tenancy legislation.

Availing of the 14K tax free allowance and not held to ransom by non paying tenants living for free for two years before leaving your property in tatters.

It’s a mug’s game.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 porkmaster

What is an antonym for desperation? Confidence? Hopefulness? Reasoned diligence?

"We, the government's of Ireland, have such confidence with the housing crisis we simultaneously created and ignored, that we would like to move forward with hopefulness and ask that social welfare recipients who have a home of some sort, all 23 of them, do their part by accommodating someone from who knows.

Next week we will be inviting out to tender an analysis on the suitability of hedgerows to house people until we build sufficient accommodation within the year (whispers 3075) . Our reasoned diligence should inspire and bring hope to the people of Ireland, we have planned the future of Ireland all the way out to next weekend. Now let us pray, "yamma yamma yamma just build more yamma yamma yahhhh, it's worked really well so far don't look at anything else yamma yamma yahhh. Go ye in peace."

Full confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Some people never miss a trick 😂

Look its a typical FG badly explained scheme which leads to more confusion then actual action but makes for a sound bite (as a former FG voter).

If its what you think it is, it's an absolute joke, but I don't think even they are that stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 68,760 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Rent a room relief has never applied to your kids anyway

They’re afraid of losing power the next election.

Nothing they’ll come up with to pander to the entitlement brigade would surprise me.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Leilak

ah thats great news im in social housing so ive 2 rooms i can let out now, yesss quids in.....yippeeee

• Advertisement

Would be a convenient way to launder money if it did!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 porkmaster

You're telling me!

I moved over here from wherever with my family and couldn't afford to be here. So I was given a family home.

Then myself and herself became """""""""""""""""""""""separated"""""""""""""""""""" and eventually got a second home too. Been going back and forth between here and wherever I'm from to a holiday home in one of the children's names.

This is great news. If we play it right we can all move home and have gigantic rental income from one of the most broken property markets in the world. Ba dah ba ba baaah, I'm loving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 bobbygoldstar

Am i right in saying that this scheme is open to homeowners who are in receipt of social welfare payments and not tenants who are either renting a house/apartment from a private landlord or the council.

And there you go again trying to put words into my mouth.

I made it abundantly clear my issue is with the *many SW tenants who’ve never worked a day in their lives.

I even described what I’ve witnessed kids I went to school with walking from the school gate to the SW office to sign on and then popping out kids one after the other in order to get bumped up the social housing list.

Did I make any mention of people who had worked and attempted to purchase their own roof?

No I did not.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭MakersMark

The Left Wing Ultras in Ireland just can't get it in to their heads that a functioning society needs rental stock

Not everyone leaves school and moves straight in to they're forever home.

(Except of course for the long term layabouts)

True, but from what I’ve seen, popping out kids one after the other gets them up the social housing list faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Yep. Thread title needs clarification or updating.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭DFB-D

It is, you can rent some rooms in your PPR. Thread solved!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,051 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

It's an absolutely brilliant idea. It will bring more beds / rooms onto the market. It's exactly what we need at the moment in this housing crisis

• Advertisement

Thanks for the tip.

*Note to all small LL’s, quit renting your single property and getting screwed with high taxes and crazy laws instead rent out rooms in your own home. 14K tax free and no crazy laws.

Any suggestions where the tenants of the rental property go if they don’t want to live in their LL’s home with them?

Advertisement