Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need New Garden Hose

Options
  • 19-05-2022 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hi Guys

I need to buy a decent garden hose - 50m long - does anyone have any recommendations where is the best place.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

50m?? You'll need a large diameter hose to get some flow out of that length... If it's for a long-term use I'd consider putting a tap up closer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

You want something with tricoflex in the name. Trouble is you won't like the price.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I just bought two 25m aldi hoses and joined them with a gismo they were selling in packets. It takes water up a hill to the height of level with the upstairs windows no problem.

the whole lot cost me €45, I will replace it when it dies.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

€40 50m Hozelock starter Hose in Woodies. I have one for years in regular use in the garden, washing cars etc. No issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Depends water via a hose is always going to be handier than lugging water in a watering can. Used to run out 250m of 1/2 inch where I used to work. It wasn't great but 100 times better than covering that distance with a watering can.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

Can't go wrong with Hozelock, mine is pushing 20 years old and not a bother

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭elperello

A lot depends on how much you will be moving it.

A hose that is left in the same position all the time doesn't need to be of very good quality.

But one that is used for different jobs and is moved a lot needs to be reinforced.

Kinks are what kills hoses so if you are going around corners etc. if it is not reinforced it will kink.

In my experience the Lidl yellow ones are pretty good for the price.

I have the hozelock 50m on a reel. It's constantly in use all over the place. The pressure is absolutely fine for power washing, sprinklers etc. One small hole in 15 years and I just cut it and used a connector to reattach it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭elperello

+1 on that they are a good product.

I know someone who has one of similar vintage and it is in perfect condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Northern lassie

Thanks for all the comments and recommendations. Bought a 50m Hoselock and reel in Woodies on Saturday for €80 - happy with that.

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Does the hose need fully unwound on the reel to use or can it be just partially unwound?

Are you using the starter hose (yellow with grey stripe) or the ultraflex hose (green with yellow stripe)?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

As long as its not kinked you don't need to unroll. My hose sits coiled in a round container and I just use the head as is if I just want a can full of water. The stretchy ones might need to be straightened out a bit.

Advertisement