Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/ Routes Discussion Pt 2 (ALL possible routes included)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Not to mention the scope for the possibility of 332 ops. I am actually kind of surprised that at least one of the 332s were not cargo converted for TA ops considering the strong cargo business that they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Shamrockj

DUB-LAX recommenced today EI69 (Used to be EI145) operated by EI-EIM with very healthy loads being reported today and for a lot of the summer the flight is pretty much full. Just Seattle now in July and then Miami in October. I guess now we can look forward to hopefully new destinations being added.

Approx 250 each way in economy. Business busy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

I am flying on EI69 to LAX in June and just received an email advising me that they are moving from Terminal 2 at LAX to Terminal B, starting next week. Does anyone know if that will have any implications on pre-clearance in Dublin? Any experience with Terminal B in LAX?

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭sherology

Shouldn't. Dublin is where the CDP (imigration) is done. Disembarking passengers in LA will be directed to baggage/exit bypassing any imigration as in other airports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Jack1985

LAX move to TBIT has no effect on CBP. Much nicer experience in LAX now for EI pax.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Great to see the LAX route back up and running! Really good West Coast option.

Just wondering can pilots/crew bid in Aer Lingus where they want to operate from? Could the SNN crew who transferred to DUB bid to operate from Shannon as well?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭NH2013

Just heard from one of my friends in Aer Lingus but apparently the pilots there have just voted to have a vote for an all out strike, says apparently they're the only section in Aer Lingus to have taken a permanent pay cut vs cabin crew and ground/office staff and they want to return to their pay they had 2 years ago.

Maybe I'm cynical but this move looks like it'll be just in time for the August bank holiday weekend based on the timing.

I know there's a lot of inflation and that nowadays even a pay freeze is a pay cut in real terms, but perhaps they should think about letting their employer make some money back after losing close to €700m over the past two years, the aviation industry was particularly badly hit by COVID.

• Advertisement

EI management have essentially said IAG won't let them increase pay so decision will be higher up group than local management. IALPA not keen on a strike but sure see what happens.

Is there an issue with -EIL? The only flight is does is the early AGP and some random FAO or LHR.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Gary walsh 32

Anyone now why ei duz had to turn back today is it mechanical issue as ei fng was used later

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Nibs05

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭moonshy2022

Among other issues, the IFE doesn’t exist and there is no money to fix the issue.

This is -EIL I assume you are talking about? IFE not existing and no money to fix the issue seems like a stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭moonshy2022

Correct.

The screens switch on but that’s all. Also there is no WiFi so they are being used for the bucket and spades as they currently don’t meet the standard product level for TA so will only be subbed on TA when absolutely needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Gary walsh 32

I wonder if it's in the aerlingus livery yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

F-WWTR was still in full Smartavia livery over the weekend so it's unlikely.

One of the aircraft, I believe its F-WWBD, was in all white primer livery as of late April with only its tail in Smartavia livery. This had its first flight on Friday so there's a chance it's been painted but I think we would have seen it by now if it had.

Aer Lingus owner IAG orders 50 new Boeing planes

Question is, who’s going to get them?

• Advertisement

I think we can rule out Aer Lingus considering they’re just weeks away from their first A320neo delivery and a split manufacturer operation is far from ideal for such a small fleet.

What’s interesting is the decision by IAG to order the -8200 variant. This is essentially the low cost favourite designed for maximum density, very few carriers have opted for this so far and those that have tend to be ultra low cost carriers like Ryanair and Allegiant. Suggests these aircraft will either end up entirely with Vueling or with a new BA entity at London Gatwick, this would be unprecedented as the BA Gatwick base is a less than stellar performer and there’s never been a business case for factory fresh aircraft before.

You could be right there, my sources say that they will go to Vueling and a combination of the BA LGW fleet for shuttle but then there was talk about BA launching a lo-co operation from LGW last year. Either way I think its a shock decision considering IAG is so Airbus focused for it SH network.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,069 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

RTÉ Business slot on the 1 O'Clock News reporting they are detained for the BA and Aer Lingus short-haul routes, which I think is just made up nonsense from them.

I think it's a pity myself, IAG ought to be strongly supporting European makers and suppliers, it's mutually beneficial.

Can only assume they got some absolutely ridiculous deal with Boeing skinning themselves just to stay in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

I think it makes a lot of sense not to leave yourself overly dependent on one supplier. Especially when it doesn't necessarily mean you have the costs of having a mixed fleet as you can ringfence them to a certain operator and then have the benefit of subbing them out to other operators within the group.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

single sourcing airplanes does not seem to have done Ryanair any harm.

In some ways it has but only very recently.

It was reported a few years back that Airbus had stopped taking Ryanair seriously because they knew they were being played to get a better deal from Boeing. Michael O'Leary recently claimed there was no point talking to Airbus as they didn't need an order from Ryanair and weren't willing to negotiate on price. In other words, Airbus simply isn't desperate enough.

Ryanair's negotiating position with Boeing is greatly weakened because of this and despite recent struggles, Boeing doesn't appear willing to give its aircraft away for nothing, at least not to Ryanair.

This week we've had Michael O'Leary launching yet another public spat with Boeing about delivery delays and prices, claiming they've had to scale back plans for this summer because of it.

While not devastating for Ryanair, it does show the risks of relying on a single supplier, no matter how important you are to them.

Also, were it not for covid, Ryanair would have been significantly short of planes for expanding the fleet due to only having Max on order and the delays to deliveries.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,862 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Ryanair Group have Airbus fleets, if needs be they can move routes between core Ryanair and the others...

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Advertisement

There’s a Vueling 73 Max model doing the rounds. So it looks like that’s where they could be heading in part.

You would have to wonder will this form part of fleet replacement or will they withdraw some of their 100ish 320 family and send them to EI amongst others.

Advertisement