Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Boyle is injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

My team for this weekend:

Buckley DTM Aungier

Dillane Thornbury

Prendergast E Masterson Oliver

Marmion Carty

Forde Arnold

Healy McNulty Porch

Murphy Duggan Illo Murray S Masterson Blade Fitz Jennings

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

Reilly has barely played all year why pick both blade and Marmion? Jennings out for the season. Would play Sullivan and give porch the day off and give booth a run out over sean masterson

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Blade is unavailable due to injury anyway, along with Aki, Boyle, Mack, and Delahunt.

Was thinking today about Matt Healy retiring at 33. I know he's had injury problems but it's not a crazy age for a back to retire (let's leave that maniac JS aside). But Bundee will be 33 when his central contract expires at the end of next year - what will happen? Will he stay in Galway or is the family draw back to NZ too strong? Two of his kids were born here, and he's such an icon for the club. I'd love to see him stay on at Connacht in some capacity after his playing career ends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Injury problems is being extremely generous. Bar the past year he's been probably injured more than half of every season since 2016 anyways. A fantastic servant but if he called it a day at 30 I don't think anybody could've blamed him. That being said, hope he gets a wonderful sendoff along with Dillane, Masterson et all on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭tvpc

Probably get a central contract extension for 2 more years. He would be starting 12 for the Kiwis giving the issues they are having. He is a big draw for Tickets and marketing so keeping him in Connacht is a no brainer.

Given the lack of squad depth i think its crazy to give game time to players who are leaving. Select the young guys who have been promoted instead or players like fitz and bolton who got very little starts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

I agree that we need to prep either Reilly or Devine to step up to the no. 2 scrum half spot, find it hard to imagine both Marmion and Blade staying past next season.

Can't think of a single reason to pick Sullivan, surely if we're giving out development minutes they should go to McNulty or Kilgallen?

Why on Earth are you staying this as fact? You haven't a clue what he will do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

would play mcnulty at 15, kilgallen tore his hamstring for galweigans in their relegation playoff so I’d give Sullivan a run as he’s heading off or Ben Odonnell. No benefit playing toh, Mack, porch or wooton as they’ve all played plenty

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

Bundee won't get another central contract after the RWC. At least, it would be silly if he did. He'll be 33 and third choice centre at best. I'd say he'll go back to NZ personally or do a season or two in France or Japan before heading back.

Who understands the rhyme and reason behind the central contracts at this point. Murray, POM, Healy - none of them should have been renewed IMO. I wonder if Ireland shouldn't move to an English model of paying internationals a per game fee, still waiting to hear the argument why that wouldn't serve us better. Anyway, Bundee could get an extension, even if it's just a year.

Do you know how/if the player tax scheme would apply to him - could it be in his financial interest to finish out his career here?

In his case, it would be worth it for Connacht to dig extra deep to hold onto him; he's been the centre of excitement around the province for years now. Ironically he's appears for us less and less, and his performances of late have been iffy, but still he's Bundee. He's the man :)

One of the Leinster posters got banned on the munster tread a few days back for derailing and general childish behaviour. It seems like a common theme on boards.ie that Leinster posters spent more time on opposing team threads.

Lsdrugbyfan is a very constructive poster who is not here, in my view, just to stir up supporters of other provinces. He will undoubtedly be able to explain the reasons behind his belief about Bundee.

TVPC, people have regularly accused you of being a troll, and I've never paid any heed to it.

I dont know why you Leinster fans are trying to damage his character. You obviously don't know the different layers involved when signing assets. Bundee is 4 years younger then centrally contracted Sexton and much more durable. You are presenting your option as fact but imo everything you claim is false. I come here for information on rugby not for some Leinster fans derailing every thread

Ok I did not know I had been accused of being a troll I will watch what i post in future. Thanks

This is nonsense. I'm a huge Bundee fan, I've loads of time for the guy. He's given an incredible amount to both Connacht and Irish rugby, we wouldn't have won the GS in 2018 without him and I'm certainly not trying to damage his character and I have no idea how you arrived at that conclusion.

All I did was state that giving a 33 year old squad player a new central contract at the start of a world cup cycle (he'll be 37 in 2027) might not be the most constructive use the IRFU's resources. I know Connacht fans adore him and will hope the IRFU do renew his CC, but taking emotion out of it, one must see that it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense from their POV. That's not derailing a thread, it's just being objective. And it is most certainly not a slight on Aki.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

Thats a good point about moving to a match fee. Central contracts or not players get their minutes managed once they enter the Ireland set up so the provinces suffer and still have to pay the full wage from their budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

I don’t think people from outside Galway really notice how bedded into the city Bundee is. He has a life here now where he could easily pull in serious cash from advertisements and attending functions after retirement. He’s probably Galways most recognisable face world wide and the People here love him. It’d be very hard for him to leave that full time. While I assume he will spend a lot more time post playing days, I believe he’s here to stay long term

• Advertisement

That's fair, I didn't realise Kilgallen was injured, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

Team named

Masterson the only departing player starting.

Dillane, Papa and Arnold all on the bench.

Start for DTM also

CONNACHT RUGBY MATCHDAY 23 VS ZEBRE PARMA

Saturday 21st May, 17:00 @ The Sportsground

Number/Name/Caps

15. Oran McNulty (8)

14. John Porch (58)

13. Tom Farrell (78)

12. Tom Daly (60)

11. Alex Wootton (33)

10. Jack Carty (179)

9. Kieran Marmion (208)

1. Denis Buckley (207)

2. Dylan Tierney-Martin (5)

3. Finlay Bealham (173)

4. Gavin Thornbury (62)

5. Niall Murray (34)

6. Eoghan Masterson (118)

7. Seán Masterson (17)

8. Cian Prendergast (30)

Replacements

16. Dave Heffernan (164)

17. Matthew Burke (38)

18. Jack Aungier (31)

19. Ultan Dillane (126)

20. Abraham Papali’i (24)

21. Colm Reilly (8)

22. Conor Fitzgerald (52)

23. Sammy Arnold (37)

That's a 'stern papa' selection from AF, should make short work of Zebre. Very pleased that DTM starts, interesting to see Prendergast at 8. Sean Masterson has played almost no rugby this year, so will be good to see what he offers at 7. In the backs, I approve of McNulty at 15, a position where we need to be looking forward.

This isn't the best opposition against whom to be advertising their wares, but still hope Murray and Thornbury put in the kind of display that makes Farrell consdier them as candidates for the NZ tour. Gavin has been very unlucky with how his recovery dragged on at a moment when Ireland really needs some extra locks and public attention is focusing on rookies to fill the gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

One of the few matches in URC this weekend of no consequence re the league. Will be interesting to see the attendance.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭RogerThis

What was wrong with Zebra try? The guy caught it.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭RogerThis

Prendergast is such a fantastic player. Should be on the plane to NZ.

Yes it's only Zebre but he's been doing it all season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

is this on tv ? thanks

• Advertisement

Advertisement