Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW i4

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

They increased their prices last week. You should be on based on the current prices on their site.

But there’s no guarantee unfortunately. They have been known to cancel orders if buyers did not accept the newer prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

Just by way of update:

Dealer came back with a price for the spec that I wanted which was €76.5k BUT that is the price for the car landed today. They won't guarantee that price for a Q2 2023 delivery date. Said that BMW will likely increase again and that this will be added on... Unbelievable really... If I buy a sofa or even a house from a set of plans I pay the price that I order it at, not the new price when it arrives/is built... A sign of the times I suppose.

So, it looks like I am buying a Tesla Model 3 Performance. Same price, €250 deposit and the price is the price listed today...

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Buy the car you actually want. Personally having owned a M3P I would consider the BMW a superior car albeit less fast but a lot more special. Tesla run a direct sales model but BMW dont so I dont really see the issue with the dealer charging for the car at the price it will cost them in the future.

Yllw......any update on the issue with the car???

• Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Q2 2023 (maybe) is very far away. Personally I would have no interest ordering a car that far ahead and not even knowing if you will get it on time or at all or for what price. Unless it is just a small deposit you are putting down and there is no further commitment from your side made.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭sk8board

Ditto, It’s impossible to order any of these cars at the mo. V happy to just wait it out and see.

supply and demand will equalise at some point - not knowing that ‘point’ is what makes me just avoid it all for the time being.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

I am in agreement guys. Model 3 test drive organised for next weekend in Cork and I will pull the trigger if I like it as the cost and delivery are clear today...

Dealers will drop to the lowest standard that people will accept (any why wouldn't they - they are a business) and there are obviously enough customers accepting the current standard to fulfil their book requirements...

Mike

Hopefully you get a MIC M3P to test.

I have a Fremont built M3P and while there's no panel gaps, no bit have fallen off and it hasn't broken down, the MIC build quality is superior.

Will it match the BMW build quality, no. But it will be a faster, more modern and more spacious car.

I will say one thing, as a user of both cars - the 4GC has faaaar more usable boot space - as we discovered yesterday when I went to the airport to collect a couple with 4 v large suitcases, a large travel golf bag, 2 carry on cases, handbags, laptop bags et all (immigrating). We never considered taking the m3 for a moment.

the coupe shape is deceptively spacious with the large hatchback boot opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

In terms of space, hatchback always wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

The i4 is a totally superior car, I am hoping to have one of these in 2023. Stunning car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,038 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Why would you want a BMW EV when you've complained so much about a Tesla EV not being suitable when the Tesla has access to far more chargers?

as stated in another thread, weekend car, we now have company vans…. I can use my home charger and will exchange BMW 330e for i4.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

Inferior in range, charging speed, charging network, weight, energy consumption, price, features, performance

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭UhOh

Fraction quicker 0-60, BMW quicker on a rolling start. Real world usage you’re never going to notice the difference between the two. Both quite frankly are nearly too fast for public roads. Hop from one to the other & you’re not going to be able tell which is faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

80k for the M50 and doesn't include basic enough things like lumbar support, heated steering wheel, auto dimming headlights or lane keep assist. And the price could be thousands more by next year. Mad money

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭UhOh

Lol, yes because we all need whoopie cushion functionality & use of a UI to open the glove box. Charging network is a mute point in this country, what have we got 6 Tesla stations? Nearest one to me is 80 miles away. Build quality in Tesla is not the same level, hence the price difference. Performance again, Tesla quicker to 60, BMW quicker everywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

The price of 76k above would be the slower (5.6s) one wouldn't it, more like the old SR+ that was 48k, as opposed to the M50 which is 80k+

Why would you want a charger near you (assuming have home charging). You want them 200km+ away from your house. Tesla have more HPCs than everyone else put together in Ireland.

BMW is 10-15k more expensive so you'd expect it to be substantially better

Autopilot much better, dashcam, sentry mode... Does bmw still only give you live pictures from the app, that is, if bandwidth not exceeded?

YouTube, Netflix etc, OTA updates

HB would always win for luggage capacity I suppose. My comment on spacious was in relation to the interior cabin space for passengers. This is where the bmw is let down due to cheap design constraints of using the same assembly line as the ICE car.

I dropped my parents to the airport in the M3 on Saturday. You wana see the looks I got when I popped the bonnet and took out the carry on cases and their back packs 🤣🤣

• Advertisement

Tesla is only option for long distance road trips, e. g. in Europe

Don’t be fooled by the bmw advertisements. It’s not a premium car unfortunately anymore.

It’s no more premium than a Hyundai i5, Skoda, VW or Audi.

The only BMW drivers cars are ICE variants currently from the M division. This i4 EV is not a drivers car yet. Notice I said yet.

If bmw made an effort and made a proper attempt at this, it could be great!

My dad had a VW Beetle, It was a seventies reg. I remember him taking luggage and golf clubs out of the front bonnet.

I cannot relate to that unfortunately as I wasn’t born!

In these modern EV times it’s quite different. Especially when kids see you loading bags into it!

Sorry, my bad as I phrased it poorly, fixed it above, It was a1970’s beetle, this was in the 00’s

He collects classic cars.

Agh right, you said your dad had one in the 70’s.

Wouldn’t see any of them around Dublin nowadays unless at coffee and cars or a similar vintage meet up.

So the general public wouldn’t see much of a front bonnet opening to be loaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Sme unit landed with dealer and will be installed on Monday I'm told.

Also a gasket (?) needs to be replaced and then the dealer wants his mechanic to road test for a few days.

They had given me a POS 3 series but today dropped out a nice high spec 5 so I'll suck up the wait time.

Car should be ready for next Friday (one more week) but by then I'll be in Monaco enjoying the GP for the weekend so will hopefully pick it up when I get back.

Fingers crossed then I don't experience any more issues. Will post more detail when I have the car back.

It’s a bit of a novelty/party trick/nice-to-show-people-once kind of thing though. We never ever use it, i can only imagine using it if the boot was full or somehow inaccessible in a tight parking space.

putting my groceries into the bonnet of a 911 years ago was far more of a novelty!

edit: boards is nigh on unusable on iPhone again, jumping around all over the screen - seems to be a bug with all the ad’s

edit: this is totally subjective, but I really think ‘EV acceleration party trick’ is already starting to wear thin with me. I hardly ever have new people in the car to demo it to and hardly ever go 100% myself, moving away from the lights or whatever, especially with family in the car - they aren’t fans of me jabbing the pedal anymore - that joke has wore very thin with them 😂

this must be what maturing means

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Fitz II

See the last bit of your posts there, thats what the Tesla headcases dont get. Its wears thin for us all. In all the performance cars I have had I so rarely launched them or dragged them. You get used to the speed quick to the point I actually bought a Draggy to check my tesla as I though it had lost power....it had not. Straight line acceleration grows old, is uncomfortable, pointless after a certain amount and requires no skill.

What never grows old is cornering at speed or shooting out of corners and braking hard, and thats what really terrifies passengers if you want to do that. Thats where the classic handling, suspension and chassis stuff that the old manufacturers shines, and thats the bit that the Tesla fanbois dont get (and something that Tesla's lack severely)....there is more to a car than speed, tech and interior space, thats what makes an appliance good. What makes a car good is the feeling of driving, the pride of ownership and the ability to make every trip an occasion to enjoy.

Advertisement