Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fall of the Catholic Church

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,098 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Irish state has failed in it's over sight of lots of institutions but especially the church. The current debacle with the hospitals is another example.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,811 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

There are objective measures of what a developed country is, and Ireland is most certainly one.

In developed countries, it is not normal to have the publicly funded education system outsourced to and dominated by a church.

In developed countries, it is not normal to have daily calls to prayer issued on the state broadcaster.

Irish people think these things are normal. They're not.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,098 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Radio Call to prayer isn't unique to Ireland or Christians.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,483 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

I'd say the government's in violation of the Constitution if 'freedom from religion in education' isn't practiced in schools. Here's the relevant bit from the Constitution:

---

Article 44

1. The State acknowledges that the homage of public worship is due to Almighty God. It shall hold His Name in reverence, and shall respect and honour religion.
    2. The State recognises the special position of the Holy Catholic Apostolic and Roman Church as the guardian of the Faith professed by the great majority of the citizens.
    3. The State also recognises the Church of Ireland, the Presbyterian Church in Ireland, the Methodist Church in Ireland, the Religious Society of Friends in Ireland, as well as the Jewish Congregations and the other religious denominations existing in Ireland at the date of the coming into operation of this Constitution.
    4. Freedom of conscience and the free profession and practice of religion are, subject to public order and morality, guaranteed to every citizen.
    5. The State guarantees not to endow any religion.
    6. The State shall not impose any disabilities or make any discrimination on the ground of religious profession, belief or status.
    7. Legislation providing State aid for schools shall not discriminate between schools under the management of different religious denominations, nor be such as to affect prejudicially the right of any child to attend a school receiving public money without attending religious instruction at that school.
    8. Every religious denomination shall have the right to manage its own affairs, own, acquire and administer property, movable and immovable, and maintain institutions for religious or charitable purposes.
    9. The property of any religious denomination or any educational institution shall not be diverted save for necessary works of public utility and on payment of compensation.

---

So, #1 and especially #2 probably should go, are are likely to be the excuse used for ringing the bell on the RTE. Likewise, #7 is in violation by the schools if they're forcing religious education on students (which they are, so indirectly the state is prejudicially forcing religion on Students by paying for instructors and classroom time.)

Also, that preamble. Get over yourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

I touched on the topic in college and I never once heard of religious standards being a metric for being a developed country? I'm currently looking up several definitions and none of them have secularism as a metric. A country could in theory be highly "developed" while being highly religious at the same time.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,386 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

You need to update your sofrware - articles 2 and 3 have already gone.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,483 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

heh. Found it on something called 'wikisource.'

The preamble's still there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,754 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I’m curious as to how you read #7 and drew this conclusion from what it says -

Likewise, #7 is in violation by the schools if they're forcing religious education on students (which they are, so indirectly the state is prejudicially forcing religion on Students by paying for instructors and classroom time.)

Religious instruction isn’t being forced on anyone. It’s right there in the article as you quoted it -

Legislation providing State aid for schools shall not discriminate between schools under the management of different religious denominations, nor be such as to affect prejudicially the right of any child to attend a school receiving public money without attending religious instruction at that school.

Children’s right to attend a school receiving public money, without attending religious instruction, is not prejudicially affected by any legislation providing State aid for schools.

#7 could be gotten around by bringing in a priest/nun to take the religious kids out of class and teach them in a seperate room while the teacher and non-religious kids got on with whatever the teacher deemed nessecary - revision, pop quiz, art, doesn;t have to be something new that the religious kids would miss out on.

Preist/nun would probably do a better job of the religious instruction.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭Shoog

If your child doesn't want to receive the religious education then they mostly have to sit outside the class and wait for it to be over. This is wrong as it encourages bullying by singling out the child as different, and also because it is a dereliction of the teachers obligation to teach them whilst in school.

The amount of time devoted to preparing for first holy communion is not insubstantial so represents a significant loss of education for those who abstain. It really should not take place within schools at this stage of the countries development.

• Advertisement

I think PC yourself and @Igotadose are misinterpreting what’s meant by the provision in question.

It refers to legislation providing State aid for schools, and how provision of State aid for any school will not prejudicially affect the right of any child to attend a school receiving public funding, without attending religious instruction. The provision prohibits legislation which would be discriminatory in the provision of State aid to schools.

I don’t know what you mean by getting around either legislation or the Constitution by bringing a priest or a nun into the school to take religious children out of class? What do you think you’re going to achieve by doing that, only the likelihood of the Board of Management finding itself in a whole heap of trouble if it sanctioned that idea! 😳

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

That's not what I said at all, you've got it back to front

And yes a country could be highly developed while being highly religious at the same time. But can you name some?

Article 44

1. The State acknowledges that the homage of public worship is due to Almighty God. It shall hold His Name in reverence, and shall respect and honour religion.

It really is amazing that this and the Preamble are still in our constitution. We removed blasphemy yet as a state are somehow to acknowledge that "worship" is due, and hold his (which god? and isn't that sexist against godesses?) name in reverence - what does that mean, surely freedom of speech and removal of blasphemy mean nobody can be required to hold the name of any god in "reverence".

Load of nonsense.

I mean the solution means kids can get religious education at school without any effect on the kids who don't. It's in line with number 7 and doesn't require the church to make alternartive arrangements.What it's going to achieve? I;ve answered that: better relgiious education for those who want it and no religious education without loss of time for those who don't.

It still means the time of the kids opting out of religion is wasted with make-work.

It should be after the school day like any after-school activity a child can opt to take part in or not.

What you’re suggesting though has nothing to do with number 7 we’ll call it, there’s just nothing to get around when the point of number 7 is to provide funding for all schools in accordance with the numbers of children enrolled in the school, without discrimination as to whether or not there are children in the school who do not attend religious instruction.

What you’re suggesting in any case anyway doesn’t solve anything for anyone, it creates more problems than it solves, because the Board of Management is responsible for upholding the ethos of the school in accordance with the education act, notwithstanding the reason the school doesn’t employ priests to teach is because they aren’t qualified teachers for one thing, and secondly it’s because there’s a lot more to the religious curriculum than just Bible stories. It’s for these reasons that Catholic schools require teachers to have a Certificate in Religious Studies, so that they are qualified to teach in Catholic schools.

Parents who want their children to receive a religious education send their children to religious ethos schools, and you’re suggesting that children who are of that particular religion should be taken out of the classroom for religious instruction in another part of the school, so that the children who aren’t of that religion can be supervised by the teacher I guess? while they do non-religious activities?

You’re having a feckin’ laugh, surely!

But in a religious ethos school, religious instruction isn’t like any other school activity which is done after the school day. It’s very much a part OF the school day. In a non-religious school where religion isn’t given such importance, you’d absolutely have a completely understandable point. But in the context of a religious ethos school, that’s the point you keep ignoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

No-one is ignoring the point that religion is embedded throughout the day in religious schools. That is exactly the issue that needs to change. Students shouldn't be indoctrinated in one particular religion, simply because they've chosen to go to their local school, or because there is no ET school within reach, or because the ET school is oversubscribed.

I wouldn't be a regular Sunday morning massgoer that's for sure. Are you telling me that church teachings on masturbation or gay sex or the nature of transubstantiation has changed in recent years?

You're doing some classic strawmanning by suggesting that I'm trying to suppress anyone's views. People are very welcome to hold whatever views they like. They're not welcome to use State resources to indoctrinate other people's kids with their views.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The proposed new educational curriculum involves teaching kids gender ideology and LGBT stuff

That kind of progressive indoctrination is fine and dandy on the tax payers dime ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Your interpretation of indoctrination is very dubious.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Students aren’t indoctrinated into one particular religion because they chose to go to their local school though. They’re indoctrinated into one particular religion because that’s the form of education their parents have chosen for them in accordance with the Irish Constitutional Law regarding the Family. I know you’re familiar with it.

As an aside, there are more patrons involved in the Irish education system than just the Catholic Bishops of Ireland and Educate Together. It’s not as though those two forms of education are the only choices parents or guardians have for their children.

And before you retort that parents can’t make those commitments due to having to work, I know of parents who are unemployed who support your point of view. I’m sure if I know of them, you have to know of them, and they have as much an equal right as I do to be supported by the State in the education of their children according to their values, beliefs and world views. The parents I know though aren’t as motivated as you are to lobby Government to uphold their right to freedom from religion for themselves and their children.

Not a bit, you asked me were those views normal, I gave you plenty of evidence to support my assertion that they are indeed normal. I’m not strawmanning when you’re arguing in favour of depriving people of State support in providing for the education of their children in accordance with their values, beliefs and world views. Everyone is as welcome as you are to use State resources to indoctrinate other peoples children with their views. Your biggest problem is that your views just don’t have any real, tangible support. Your views are expectedly popular in an online echo chamber, but outside of it, what have you actually achieved in the last 40 years in terms of getting religion out of schools?

Oh, I never said "hire" the priests.

Beyong that, you seem to like the phrase "religous ethos schools".

Religious ethos schools should not be state funded. Go private if it's that important.

Religious ethos schools should take care of their own hiring needs, if the want teachers to have a cert in religious studies.

Religious ethos schools should not be treated as national schools.

National school teachers should not be required to have religious studies training.

National school teachers should not be required to teach catholic law, morals, dogma or sacriments (or of any other religion for that matter)

National school teachers should not be required to divert time away from non-religious children.

We're going atound in cirlces, Jack - no state resources either financial, time, or recruitment should be contributed to the teaaching of religious dogma. ANY dogma. The kids come first, not the church.

Simple.

We really are going round in circles when you’re as fond of the word “should” as I am of using the term religious ethos schools. The difference being of course that my opinion is grounded in reality, whereas yours is grounded in a belief… ain’t that ironic! 🤔

Fwiw though, the children are the Church, as in they are members of the Church, and their parents are members of the Church, and they are recognised and supported by the State, which is also comprised of the very same people. It’s one of the best things about a representative democracy, that no matter whether anyone is or isn’t a taxpayer, it doesn’t give them any more say in how public funds are administered, than anyone else. Those decisions are made by representatives elected by the people.

Can you link to the proposed new curriculum please?

Broadly, teaching kids about LGBT stuff makes perfect sense, given that a bunch of the kids ARE LGBT.

There’s no choice involved when 95% of schools are Catholic run.

And interesting to see the traditional catholic values of victim blaming shining through, where it is apparently my fault now that the Catholic Church is still clinging on to the power to indoctrinate children in schools.

And just to be clear, it your view that masturbation and gay sex is not normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

LGBT is a political term , politics should be kept out of education

You realise that lesbian, gay, bisexual and trans people actually exist, right?

And where is this new curriculum you mentioned please?

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭CrookedJack

Wow, this is a bit mad. Are you saying we shouldn't mention at all that some people are gay? Even though some of the kids will be gay? Even though some of the parents are gay?

Education should just completely ignore it? Teachers and schools should leave gay children alone, confused and isolated? How is that preparing any of them for life?

Seriously I think you should walk that one back - it's nuts.

• Advertisement

I use the word 'shpuld' because these things should be happening in secular countries but are NOT happening in these one.

By your second paragraph you seem to accept Ireland as a non-secular religious democracy. Fair enough.

The State can Support religion withput pushing a dogma or allowing one to be pushed on its educational facilities.

Representative democracy is NOT - and I have said this before - making every decision based on popularity.

Case in point - MUP.

Advertisement