Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Well it certainly makes a mockery of the present system that Cavan are heading for Tailteann Cup and Meath into the qualifiers. I suppose that’s what Cavan get for not taking the League seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,782 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

As far as I can see it is the only plus point of the new system long term. Linking league and championship. I know some teams below div1 do not take the league seriously as they use it to 'tune up'. But if the current system remains there will be a new sense of seriousness in all divisions.

Div1 was treated as serious a long time ago by those involved it is like the championship - without the nice weather.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

McEntee whinging Morris red card was due to Gannon diving. He was stood there not expecting a fool to come in a push him with two hands. Morris got what he deserved, and McEntee standing over Gannon berating him says more about him than it does Gannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,976 ✭✭✭Xander10

McEntee has a very large chip on his shoulder. Always unpleasant anytime I've heard him interviewed post match. Seems to be taking them backwards, would be surprised to see him in charge next term.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭rolling boh

He will certainly be gone after this year when they are knocked out .He seems to be a fairly divisive character and his behaviour particularly after games has been deplorable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,001 ✭✭✭✭JRant

The straight red was a little on the soft side but in no universe was it a dive. He walked 20 yards towards Gannon away from the ball and shoved him to the ground. It was a brain dead move and I've no sympathy for him.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Congrats to the minor team only saw a bit but seemed to have played much better in the second half .Would be great for them to really give it a good go .

• Registered Users Posts: 25,417 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

an 8 point margin of victory… competitive for about 50 minutes but Kildare seemed to be out on their feet from 50 minutes in… surprisingly…. But one real negative just foul after foul to try and disrupt and dismember the Dublin attacks in that second half, ref calling fouls but for the benefit of the game should have showed more cards.

Kildare didn’t manage a score in the last 11 minutes or so of play.

Kildare were leading by a point at halftime but only scored 3 points in the entirety of that second half, Dublin midfield and half backs were especially impressive…

Amazed Colm O’Rourke has never been given a go for them? Or some sort of involvement. Calmness personified complete opposite to McEntee.

Even yer man man Eamonn Murray ladies manager?

The Royals seem to be their own worst enemy not that I am too worried about them. But they seem to have better candidates for manger than Dublin do atm?

When I think of it there was a flag at the hurling game v KK in Parnell - ‘Longwood Dubs behind enemy lines’. It must be like watching a comedy series for those ‘exiles’ hearing all the Meath chat!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Looking forward to the Kildare game now, nice seats in cusack few rows back from pitch so hope it doesn’t rain 😬

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

If only you had the same attitude a few years back for Connollys push. As long as people defend the divers and play acting this will only get worse.

Other match going to be good . Plus guaranteed goals in Kildare match. Would be amazed if there is none.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Are you talking about Connolly putting his hand on the ref? Gannon did not dive he was stood there not braced for the push, what was worse was McEntee standing over him, but if you’re OK with that, so be it.

If he is then he's pissing up the wrong tree. Connolly got a hefty ban for that whereas Moran and Cody got ignored fir doing the exact same that season.

I think the poster mentioned Donegal first then edited it?

i looked that one up Donegal AIQF 2016. Connolly was already on yellow - high challenge second yellow = red card.

Brian Cody Push v Diarmuid Connolly Push

Connolly suspended retrospectively for 12 weeks for push on linesman in Carlow game Leinster QF 2017

RULE IS - minimum contact with official = 12 weeks suspension.

--

Personally I remember thinking Connolly was stupid in what he did.

There was a period where Eoghan O'Gara was synonymous with really stupid red cards. Each time I thought - 'Gobshite'

Irregardless of that these days with the cameras etc. If a high profile player on a high profile team - better to avoid silly stuff. Because it will get blown up into something bigger.

Those playing for ‘less high profile’ counties will more often than not get away with it. Unless it is really bad stuff.

That is just the nature of high profile sportspeople in the top teams. With the level of media scrutiny.

They are held to higher standards than the rest.

In a way it is a compliment that more is expected from the top team(s) and high profile players within.

Media not too bothered about stuff that does not attract attention or create column inches.

In a way I do the same when watching Dublin now but to do with general standards of organisation etc.

It is Dublin football not a Micky Mouse county. It is not the type which blame everyone except themselves when things go wrong. Leave that stuff to the rest of them and rise above it. That is my attitude anyway.

Agree with you in fairness. The rules are not applied equally for some of the reasons you've outlined. Some of the most critical people about our current team are themselves Dubs. I never had much time for O'Gara or Connolly's antics.

Galway v Dublin - Hurling Salthill

Galway team -

Dublin team

Another heavy defeat for the lads. Not great being honest.

• Advertisement

Yeah same auld issues. If Con played Dublin hurling would transform the side. No real focal point up front. Were sloppy in possession in general as well.

Hardly a surprise getting beat again tonight we seem to be a long way off the better teams kind of surprising to hear some fans each year making out we are somehow a contender for Leinster when there is zero evidence to back up this claim must be a serious case of wishful thinking .

We have zero goal threat and it kills us. Makes us very easy to defend against as we just don't threaten the inside line enough. Someone like Con would be a game changer but it's just never going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭MFPM

Another disappointing year for the hurlers. Kenny will probably go but as others have said the issue is scores. Dublin just struggle to get goals and you need goals to compete at the highest level.

Yeah if Con has not joined the Dublin hurlers when his brother is in the team and his former club manager at the helm he never will.

Plus the fact Kenny started Trollier spoke volumes. He was that desperate for a spark from the start.

But Trollier is more suited to the sub role against tired legs.

I would not call it disappointing overall. Because when you think of it Dublin beat who they were supposed to beat and more - Wexford. And lost to teams who they were supposed to lose against. Fourth is where Dublin were supposed to be. Third was close.

At this stage I think Kenny should use his Galway contacts to see if any forwards not making Galway Senior panel/Living in Dublin would like to hurl for Dublin. Or any other county level forward who is not making their own senior panel.

We also lack any depth in the panel. Once we get past 3 games it starts to take a toll on the starting team. Kenny is trying to bring some of the younger lads through but the gulf between underage and senior is massive and it takes time.

I'd like to see Kenny given another 2 years. He's done well this year and considering where we were when he took over he's made us a better team. The harsh reality is we aren't producing the kind of forwards needed to compete at the top table. Our defense is actually quite good and we don't leak as many goals as before. We've also struggled in midfield but this year we've done really well there.

Until we get that inside threat then space for the half forwards is going to be very tight and the ball will just keep coming straight back in on top of the defenders, like we seen yesterday and against Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Kenny has had a good stint but the time is right for a new man.

Anyone else feel that Davey Fitz is making a play for the job with his RTE slots? He's fierce complimentary of Dublin all of a sudden. Although i'm indifferent to the man i actually think he'd be a good fit for Dublin. He works the bollox out of his teams and he at least seems capable of getting a reaction. The head space the Dublin lads operate in is lacking when compared to other counties imo. He might be able to help with that too.

He would bring Hype anyway similar type to when Lyon’s managed the footballers. Annoying that the hurlers have a decent base build just need a spark. If Davy Fitz brings that spark for a couple of years.

I wouldn’t be against him taking the ‘hell-um’ as they say in traditional hurling counties.

We'd be far better served leaving Kenny in situ for another year or two than having Davy and his 35 back room staff come in.

Kenny is doing about the best he can with what he has right now and is only really starting to see improvement. We are beating teams we should be beating on a consistent basis this year. The next step is competing at the next level and that takes time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

We'll have to get the money off the GAA for the 35 back room staff!

Do you not think the lads dropping their heads in games is a bad sign? We gave up against Kilkenny. Twice. I generally see that as the end of the road for a manager in any sport. I don't think he's lost the dressing room but the same voice does lose its impact after a while. It happens.

Also, he has rolled the dice with different styles during his tenure and they haven't worked. We've played short, we've tried hard running with the likes of Connolly and Boland and we've tried to isolate our inside forwards playing into space. None of it has pushed the team forward. If anything we're falling further behind each season. It's a results game and you have to give the job to a man who can find the answers. That's not Kenny for me.

Side note... i'd love to see Fitzgerald get the job just to hear him bitch and moan about referees. He thinks Waterford and Wexford were short changed!

Advertisement