Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours/Champions League Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

I had a big long answer done up on this and lost it. The gist of that was that I don't know what the the manager is thinking but we all know what Konsa, Nakamba, McGin and Luiz bring to the table and we rarely see any alternatives being tried. Sanson, Iroegbunum and Carney get a few minutes here and there, Buendia gets to come on with 15 minutes left every game, but we never see anything fresh or different.

We seem predictable and stale after 6 months of playing under this manager. The summer ahead is a big one and it will be interesting to see what positions we target to get new players in. The worry is that new player B will come in and replace old favourite A, and the whole predictability repeats next season, just with a few different faces, sprinkled among the cast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

I think Gerrard will look at the spine of the team, I can see him wanting a ball playing CB, obviously a DM and CM and a striker.

As a new manager with your first summer window approaching, I think these will be the key area's. Credit to Mings, I don't remember many errors from him since SG has come in while Konsa has regressed.

DM has been an ongoing issue for years. A decent CM is needed, we don't have one.

The manager will surely want his own striker too. The two lads up front don't suit the system. No doubt Ings will get double figures if he goes elsewhere.

I hope it's not Suarez tho. Archer is not the answer, another season in the championship will do him good.

My biggest concern with SG is the over reliance he has on Coutinho who's failed to deliver far too much, the opportunity cost then is that holds back Buendia and possibly Chukwuemeka.

I'm on the fence with SG and will continue to be until he's given time and resources to improve things. It is worrying that bar Cash and Ramsey, maybe Mings, there's not been any other player improvements since he's come in, in fact many have stagnated and regressed.

Villa strongly linked with Tarkowski on a free.

I'd happily take him if it freed funds to be be spent elsewhere such as in DM, CM and a striker.

Good experience, shouldn't take long to settle and with Konsa looking at being out for 4 months now, I think he'd be a good fit.

Not the glamorous ball playing CB we'd hope for but he'd be a solid addition to the squad I feel.

Chukwuemeka and Buendia start.

Ings, Nakamba and Coutinho on bench.

• Advertisement

So much long ball opening quarter. Burnley defense lapping it up.

Buendia looking like the bright spark who will create an opening.

1 down at HT

Buendia gives away a penalty.

Dreadful from Chukwuemeka and Watkins this half, neither have offered anything.

We've huffed and we've puffed but never looked very threatening. Burnley and ourselves look on a similar level. That is not where the NSWE ownership expect or want us to be with the amount of money spent.

Buendia levels with a lovely taken goal.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

File that under "artanevilla toilet goal".

• Advertisement

Looked better when Ings came on, but overall, dreadful. Cash couldn't cross his legs today and kept trying stupid long range shots.

Midfield pathetic as has been the case all season. Free kicks / corners terrible.

Mings was very solid.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I've changed my mind about Ings, apparently he's the most goal involvements of any player.

Buendia ran his bollocks off I much prefer him to Coutinho who I think could end up being a poor signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

Such a poor season in the end.

Stevie g will be under pressure next year so will need good start , hes got away with murder this season.

To think Brighton, Newcastle, Brentford and Palace all finished ahead of us despite the resources we have is pretty shocking and I hope theres a good clearance in the summer.

Players get too comfortable at a club too long and accept mediocrity, just look at Man Utd the last 10 years and the hangers on there.

For several, villa is the biggest club they've been at and their just happy to be average and have a laugh, nice lads up for the banter. Typical Dean Smith players.

We need more lads that HATE losing and are hungry to win.

Getting tired of hearing SG saying we must improve and do better etc after every poor result, of which there's plenty. I get the impression he seems to think it's all about recruitment, all references are towards getting players in, therefore what actually happens on the training pitch during the week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Ya, I'm quite worried about the constant talk of recruitment, with little emphasis on improving what's there. The squad is full of good players who Gerrard has nothing for

He created an excellent team at Rangers on a shoestring but now seems to want to spend all around him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Just watched Barnes’ elbow on Mings it looks deliberate and a definite red their players were calling for our physio to come on whether this was out of concern for Mings or could have been they wanted him off the pitch while they took their corner.

Some good build up play last night Buendia was outstanding but our finishing was poor and so many shots blazed over the bar.

All in all a season where we were just getting used to playing without Grealish. Not too many highlights Man Utd away stands out, Ings goal against Newcastle, Buendias goal last night, Chambers goal against Leeds and his pass to Coutinho against Southampton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Saw a stat last night that Villa have been 8th in the league since Gerrard arrived. There’s a lot I haven’t been happy with also, and he definitely needs to figure out how he wants the team to play with the players he has available.

But I guess that would imply that maybe we’re being a little extreme in our talk of him. We finished 11th last season with Grealish.

We have got 9 points from last 10 games.

Only 3 teams got less points.

If hes not english soccer legend hes sacked

I don't think he'd be sacked.

Yeah, that’s an extreme summary. He’s basically in a situation where he needs to perform next season. If the team isn’t a top half side next season (maybe even top 8), it’ll likely be his last season.

Theres been too much investment in the team at this point, for there to continue to be excuses made for why it hasn’t happened yet. It has to be next season.

• Advertisement

Gerrard has lost more league games than he's won at villa.

Let's not forget, Jack missed at least a third of last season.

What you’ve said is factual but also probably doesn’t tell a story. Where we wanna be now is 7th or 8th realistically. 7th place perceived overachievers West Ham only won 16 and lost 13. 8th place Wolves also lost more games than they won.

If we reach the point where we’re winning more games than we lose in the Premier League, we’ll very likely be qualifying for Europe.

We will finish 14th

We were 16th when he took over.

Its not exactly the improvement youd expect from a man that looks to be in charge of whats ment to be huge squad change this summer.

With players we have , even with the weakness in areas , 14th is nowhere near good enough.

As said , we managed 10th last season without our star player for huge parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Honeymoon period over for SG no excuses next season he’s got the backing to put together his own squad and make his mark. Lots of areas for improvement the stand out stat being that we only won 6 PL home games this season.

Less than 33% of home games won is a brutal statistic as is losing more games than you won whatever way people want to dress it up, especially given the resources we've spent on transfer fees and wages, not entirely SGs fault, some of the blame goes to Smith too, but as said above, he can have no excuses next season as it sounds like deals are already in place for players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

No Martinez . Anyone know why

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Apparently he picked up a knock in training prior to Burnley game. Dont know if its related, but surprised to see him start that game and not this one. The games may have been too close together to risk him.

But to answer your question, i didnt see an official reason why he's out.

Buendia, Coutinho, and Watkins start.

Ohhhh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

City aren’t going to believe a goal will be good enough and will be throwing everything at Villa this half going for 2 and the win. Could leave themselves open on the counter but it’s going to take some serious defensive performance this half from Villa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭adaminho

Massive signing!

thought he might have gotten snapped up by one of the teams with European football or Newcastle but that’s exactly the type of player Villa should be in for. Had almost been afraid to talk about the possibility when we were linked but good job if they got it over the line ahead of others

Watkins is so sh1t, he's as bad a finisher as Gabby was. Such an unnatural baller.

Seems like just what we need, but don't know much about him.

Gotta be honest, I’ve not seen much of him but what I’ve read reads like the exact player we should be signing and on a free too (I’d imagine he will be on huge wages though as I doubt we were the only ones interested).

really weird that Villa don’t have anything on the line in this game, still feels edge of your seat stuff

• Advertisement

2-0 hahaha

That goal was perfection.

The real Villa have turned up.

Last two goals looked questionable.

For the second, did the ball come off Mings for a corner?

Was Jesus offside for the third?

Haven't seen any replays.

Having only played a couple of nights ago I feared the legs / brains might give out if City got back into the this.

The Kamara signing will still have made my day though.

• Advertisement

Not sure bringing on Nakamba was the right move in the end.

Would happily never see McGinn, Luiz and Watkins in the starting line up again. They have had far too many chances.

Hopefully Kamara hits the ground running, fair play to the club getting the deal done early, I suspect a few more deals will close soon along with exits.

Easy game for the emotions to take over and reach irrational takes, but now that I’ve had a bit of time to calm down, have to be pleased with the overall performance.

Its always horrible to lose in that manner, but eh sometimes teams of that quality who are also fighting for their lives……just do that kind of thing. In the same way that I don’t think anyone ever considered for a second that Liverpool wouldn’t eventually get the job done.

Overall a very disappointing season, and Gerrard is under pressure to find a team that plays the way that he wants it to and win games. If we’re not in the Europa League hunt by the time the World Cup break comes along, he will be running out of excuses.

I honestly think it will be more difficult for Gerrard than most think next season as although less might be accepted if they go about things the right way only European football will be considered success by most and tbh I don't think many will expect Villa to finish ahead of any of the current CL teams or United (who should be far improved next season).

Arsenal would probably be the next favorites although a European campaign could hurt them but you would assume Villa would be in with the likes of West Ham, Leicester and maybe Newcastle rounding out the top 10 (maybe including Wolves too) and fighting for.

If Luiz refuses to sign a new deal I could see him moved on in the summer now that Kamara has been signed. Will be very interesting to see who is signed next, a CB seems to be high on Gerrard's wanted list and the talk of captaincy being up in the air might be positive for those who aren't fans of Mings. Actually saw him linked to Newcastle recently (think it was him & Targett for 50m). Maybe Tarkowski?

Don't think I want us signing Suarez although I am alright with the liverpool link and signing of Coutinho since they got him at the cut price fee and wages (though they are of course still huge but given what they could have been) and think that signing plus Gerrard plus Villa paying good wages is making Villa more attractive for potential signings like Kamara.

Honestly, I think if Villa finishes 8th or 9th and that doesn’t end up being a European spot, he will probably be fine.

Any lower than that and he has not fulfilled a project that has been hugely funded.

Yeah thats what I'm getting at, less (top half) will be accepted but I don't think anyone will be calling it a success given what he has at his disposal. The problem is it's not like the other teams in the top half are paupers in this regard.

seems it's a 5yr deal for Kamara

Gerrard: “I am delighted that we have been able to attract one of the most promising young talents in European football. We have a very clear plan to make our team stronger and Bouba is an important part of that.”

It showed yesterday that we hadn’t fresh legs to bring on in midfield and that cost us the game. For some reason two managers have not rated Sanson (attitude?) so when Gundugan came on and brought that bit of extra energy we didn’t have an answer.

I think it was largely the 80% posession that saw us wilt late on. West Ham suffered the same last week (in their own ground) and were only blessed by a Mahrez peno miss to not suffer the same fate. It will be a long time and alot of investment before we can bring on subs that hold a candle to the ones they can bring on.

Deal done on Bouba Kamara, supposedly westham and united had interest.

Whatya mean I'm clearly bored...

We have Martinez tied down to 2027 and it seems as if Olsen might sign on a permanent deal as his backup

Looks like Ashley Young will be let go on a free and if Newcastle don't take up a 15m option they apparently have on Targett, Fulham seem to be interested in taking him back so Villa will be needing a new LB to rival Digne.

A center back was apparently a target before Konsa got injured and I have seen Mings future captaincy brought into doubt so you would have to think a starting CB is on the cards too. Tarkowski has been linked to us (apparently now suggestions of talks being opened) and Everton most heavily recently with the Merseysiders willing to offer him around 90k a week if reports are to be believed. De Vrij also linked recently

At RB Guilbert is still under contract for another season and the importance of WBs in Gerrards system could suit him but there is also the option of young Kaine Kesler Hayden as Cash's understudy and tbh I don't see Cash not starting at RWB next season so this position may be solid for now.

Kamara and Nakamba as backup should be pretty strong for the DM CM position.

I continue to see links for Bissouma from Brighton who only has 1 year left on his deal with them now, meanwhile Luiz is in the exact same position for Villa and most recently the link to Roma re-emerged. Could be a situation where they are essentially swapped without any real cost added. Especially if someone like Bissouna was brought in I could see Sanson moved on, it just hasn't worked.

Unless someone like Ramsey or McGinn was to leave (and the latter has been linked to Spurs and Utd) I don't know if we would be looking to bring in any more midfielders as hopefully  Carney signs a longer term deal and Iroegbunam seems like he is one the club might be looking to develop further.

Considering Gerrard does not seem to favor wingers and prefers no.10s and we have already made the Coutinho deal permanent and have Beundia, while Bailey will hopeffully be more injury free next year you would have to think that we won't be looking to bring in many more here and if anything some might be shipped out on a permanent basis this summer like Trez and El Ghazi. They would probably be open to letting Traore go if they got a good offer too, otherwise he might be kept in reserve incase of injury.

Upfront we have been linked to Suarez of course and I can understand those who might be interested in an upgrade on Watkins. I like the guy and he works hard but apart from the fact that Arsenal don't have a top striker I don't think he would get in a Premiership Uefa cup or above standard team atm. Less reliably saw a link with Jonathan David from Lille recently, maybe he is the type of younger, could be a big hit type to go for instead of a Suarez type but I've not seen too many striker links tbh. Darwin Nunez was linked at one point and although I would expect him to move to a club with European football you never know as people thought the same about Kamara and I would love that ambition to be shown.

Do people really see Tarkowski as that big an upgrade? Was hoping to see us go after a right centre back, incase Konsa doesn’t get back his performance levels from previous seasons, but I certainly thought we’d be going after more of an upgrade than that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement