Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new type trampoline

Options
  • 19-05-2022 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My old trampoline is a good few years old and has rips etc, its design is as below. As you can see, the netting/enclosure is around/flush with the outside area of the base - giving a bigger area inside the trampoline. Yellow arrows show extra space compared to new one

The one I am thinking of buying is shown below, as you can see, the the netting/enclosure is about a foot in from the outside of the base, giving less space when you actually get in to the trampoline. (white arrows below)

old one was an 8ft, due to the new one losing space with the way the netting is done, would I need to get a 10ft to compensate

Garden Space is a bit of an issue for me and I would rather get an 8ft but if the 'new' design 8ft is actually smaller when you get inside, its a bit annoying.

Hope im making sense, any comments welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

The green strip around the edge of the one in the top picture is where you could break your neck if you landed head first. So maybe the second one is actually a better design?

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

second one is a better , safer design.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

If a little finger was to get under the green while under pressure you could get a bad pinch,, possibly worse, second is far better

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭obi604

Hi

Sorry, I didn't make it clear. I am more so asking about the footprint of the new type as opposed to the safety.

My old one was an 8ft with netting around outside. I am getting rid of this.

I think I will have to buy the new one in a 10ft - as the actual jump area in the new 10ft design *seems* to be less due to the way the netting is.

so I am thinking:

The new 10ft probably has the same jumping area as old 8ft - due to the way the netting is done

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The size of the trampoline usually refers to the outside diameter. So a 10ft in either style has the exact same garden footprint, just the space inside the netting is different.

Since the kids can't jump on the outside border anyway, it's a bit academic really. The 8ft in the new style will have a ~6ft jumping area.

But because the netting is closer, the new style will probably "feel" smaller.

Post edited by seamus on

• Advertisement

Thanks, is the size not the diameter of the thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,412 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It is a measure of the diameter of the metal frame. definitely not a measure of the circumference.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Diameter, yes. The correct words are in short supply this morning 😂

thanks all, space is the thing, an 8ft V 10ft diameter seems a bit trivial, but its 2ft in a full circle/all directions I will lose, so eats in to an already small garden area.

The 8ft in the new design just *seems* really small on the inside

• Registered Users Posts: 40,412 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

it is the same amount of usable space and the new design is much safer for children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

From a safety point of view if you read the instructions that come with any of those round trampolines you are only supposed to have one at a time on and bounce in the middle.

4 kids bouncing all over and then having a fight like you sometimes see the isn't really how its supposed to work.

I can see how its a bit small for a load of kids on at the same time but not if its used as directed in the instructions.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,405 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Second one. Stop you from getting destroyed by a spring.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭CuriosityKilledtheCat

Could you consider sinking it into the ground. No need for netting and it would look far less instrucive in the garden if space is an issue?

We did this, it also eliminated the stress of wondering where it would end up after a storm😁 Kids are grown now and we have filled in the garden again. Had great plans for a nice water feature in place of the trampoline but its currently still just grass!!

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

Another vote for an in ground trampoline. No need for a net at all then. I hate the way kids do WWF style fighting on the ones with nets. Nobody can go under the trampoline and get jumped on either. Pain to dig up the garden though.

Just on the netting... I'd say keep it. Prevent falling off trampoline and twisting ankles, fractures, etc.

All Eyes On Rafah

I don’t understand what you mean. I am not getting rid of any netting.

In response to the previous poster to my comment.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭notAMember

I beg to differ, based on my own experience. both of my children have broken their legs and twisted ankles on netted trampolines. Once was bending down to zip up the net and fell out. Very lucky it was a bad leg break and not their neck to be honest, they fell from a height. And the other time lost their footing, again trying to tie the netting. These were both injuries in other peoples gardens. Our own trampoline is in-ground without a net, and no injuries whatsoever since we got it thank goodness. I think the ones on legs are far more dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

Same as above. My kids have never injured themselves falling off our in ground trampoline and they are on it all the time doing various flips etc. Any minor injuries were from two people bumping into each other. Have had several more serious injuries on other people’s netted trampolines. Usually kids using the nets to launch themselves at one another.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

springfree trampoline.

Cant recommend them highly enough.

• Advertisement
Advertisement