Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Karen Harrington jailed for life for the murder of Santina Cawley

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

So what is a life sentence, will she be out in less than 20 years?

Some crimes deserve a whole life sentence and this is the punishment she should get.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

35 years, looking like 50 at the time.

One month between the killing and the photo. That’s a lucky child to be born to such responsible parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

Hopefully she'll die in prison before her child gets to know her

• Registered Users Posts: 86,701 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I remembering hearing or reading that Karen was pregnant, did she have that baby or lose it?

Also that Santina's mother was homeless and lost custody of her kids

Santina was let down by all the adults but Karen killed her no matter her state she killed an innocent child, life for life in a hell hole should be her punishment

• Registered Users Posts: 56,130 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Reading your post and seeing you refer to her by her first name reads all wrong. Almost like she’s just your ordinary woman. Just an observation.

• Advertisement

Karen the evil murdering scum bag killer

I do not think I could put up here what I really would call her

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

100% agree about him being paid.

He let his poor defenceless child down so badly. It's beyond heartbreaking. And as for that vile creature who killed her, words fail me.

His two year old child should have been at home safe in her own bed. Not being dragged around with adults drinking, taking drugs and fighting at all hours of the morning. I'm sure his errand into the city could have waited quite easily too. I doubt he ever dreamt this would be the outcome, of course.

Poor little Santina. May the gentle innocent child rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,594 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Alcohol and drugs cause lots of problems in out society and kids grow up in terrible environments because of it.

In previous generations some kids may have being brought to the pub of an afternoon and that was it. Was it ideal not really but it was a different era.

However now some parents have drinks every evening (which is fine). However some parents don't know when to stop and the care of their children are put at risk.

I've known of Communion parties going on until the early hours of the morning and the Gardaí needing to be called.

I do think authorities need to be able to do more to support children and families when alcohol or dugs is an issue.

Could he be charged with neglect abuse etc., prison and a high fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭notAMember

How so?

Feel free to disagree, but you might want to put across a point.

you think addicts and those off their faces on booze are beautiful souls who can do no wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Poor child was let down by all the adults in her life. Hopefully that animal gets a hard long time in prison. The parents were irresponsible and partly to blame. Who in their right mind leaves a two year old alone with anyone off their head on drink or whatever else? Brings to mind the old saying, you need a licence to own a dog yet almost anyone can have a child.

This stinks of the whole “sh1t happens” attitude.

and this world we live in is not some perfect world (like your post wants to try portray). Hence why people need to be careful and responsible.

Whilst that thing ended the poor child’s life, her parent left her alone with that thing, who was clearly agitated, angry, under the influence and pretty much a ticking time bomb. The night in question full of chaos.

this take that “I did nothing wrong. I left her with her. Nothing to do with me,” stinks.

that poor child would have probably been safer and stood a better chance had she been left alone with a pit bull.

And, you can bet (and rightly so) had it been a case like leaving a child alone with a dog, the parents would be condemned if something terrible happened. So the father absolutely should shoulder responsibility for his child’s welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

From the very instant that day that all of the adults surrounding Santina started drinking and taking drugs, quite early in the afternoon, fighting, verbally assaulting one another, moving from place to place, shouting, screaming, she was in the midst of an absolutely hellish experience for a child. Totally unacceptable, unforgivable, animalistic environment to force on an innocent child.

Frightening, degrading, toxic, dangerous. Right up to the point she was abandoned by her parent to be tortured and beaten to death in an act of utter savagery by a monster, while he wandered around the city on some kind of a wild goose chase.

Tell me, how much of this is “rumour gossip speculation and innuendo”? Please point out where I have got this story wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭notAMember

Your point really isn’t clear, but I hope I am misinterpreting and you are not bringing a pro-drug argument in here? “plenty of people” do the same. What the heck, Who? … You?

This little girl, a toddler , was beaten to death over a fairly prolonged period by someone who claims to not even remember doing it.

The whole lot of them were drunk, loaded, off their face, whatever you want to call it.

Spot on. A beautiful defenceless child in the middle of out and out toe rags. One of them committing a sustained vicious and depraved assault causing death. Vile beyond belief.

I never mentioned how utterly horrific it must have been for the gardai and medics that night, to see such a helpless wee child destroyed…

Another thing I always think when I see these horrific cases is that human beings actually work to get these people off. How could any human being stand up and defend and fight for acquittal here?

is there some law that says a defender must represent these people?

if I was a defender/lawyer and after reading the absolute depravity here, as well as it being pretty much clear cut that this thing did this, I’d go to prison before attempting to defend her.

what kind of person/mindset says “I’ll take this case?”

I guess a certain level of emotional detachment is required for this line of work, as well as many others (emergency services, medical etc).

It’s an interesting question though because I can never understand why and how people get so emotionally invested in cases which do not affect them.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

It is the very basics of the justice system that everyone is entitled to a defence, to make their case in court and to be judged by their peers. I wouldn't be able for it either mind you but I guess people who read/study law believe wholeheartedly in the justice system and it's function and on that basis will take the very bad with the good.

Exactly what I was thinking. To do what these people do there has to be some emotional detachment. And in some cases, a kind of callousness....?

I know for a fact I could not do it, no matter what.

Seriously, I'd do jail time, get fired before I would utter one single sentence in defense of someone who could do that to a child.

Yet, she had a defender.........someone actually decided to take her on to defend her.

You never hear, no matter how despicable a person/crime "the accused has nobody wo will take his/her case."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

I wonder if an accused could not get anyone to represent them what would happen?

Would the judge compel or order a solicitor/barrister to represent the accused?

Or would the case have to be dismissed because without representation the accused couldn't reasonably get a fair trial, especially in a case where the accused doesnt have the capacity to represent themselves as would be the case with addicts, or people with substance issues.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

would you have the capacity to represent yourself?🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I'm not even sure a barrister can refuse. I think we have a list system and if you are 'next person up' then it's your sworn duty to represent the person to the best of your ability. The same can apply in reverse - if the list system made you the prosecution barrister then you have to represent the state's case even if you have nagging doubts about the defendant's guilt.

As a general point (and not applying to this case specifically) there have been many cases worldwide which looked like 'guilt beyond doubt, vile criminal, who would defend them' at an initial glance, and only afterwards (sometimes decades afterwards) do we realise the defendant was innocent. So it's fundamentally good that every defendant has someone on their side looking for holes in the case.

I wouldn’t call it callousness. At the end of the day it is just another case, as sad as this might sound.

I don't think that is how it works

you can choose your own and pay or if you can't the judge will assign you a solicitor from the panel (you may get some choice there if there is availability), the barrister just works on your behalf when it gets to court and the solicitor will arrange that

not all solictors or barristers will work on free legal aid etc ( the best ones)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Now?? Alcoholics have been around since alcohol was first imbibed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

I am not an expert, but I think if you are entitled to free legal aid, a solicitor can be appointed for you.

I have often sat in to observe cases in court, where a defendant for drink/drug offences would turn up without a clue or a legal rep - the judge would often take a look around the court room, while the solicitors waiting for their own cases to be called would either suddenly look very busy... or avoid eye contact, until the judge would call one by name and ask them to take on the case - then adjourning for 15 mins to allow for the newly appointed solicitor to consult with their new client.

Judges do not like hearing cases where someone without a clue has no financial means of defending themselves. Solicitors sometimes have no option when asked to help out by the judge - they have to give and take to maintain their working relationship with the court system.

there is a whole system (money making racket) in place for this, you they aren't just plucking people out a crowd in the room on the day

you will have pre trial process for this, along with getting bail etc before you go to court proper

the only time they wont assign for something very low like a speeding fine etc or where they think you are taking the piss and can afford one yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Gusser09

The more you think about it a realize that we the taxpayer fund this type of living and scumbaging it really sickens you. And now a child ends up dead indirectly due to these scumbags getting their free money and houses etc. That's how they afford to live like this. Somethings got to give.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Ham_Sandwich

the amount of people doing jdugements onto the parents is ridiculous, as if no one goes out for a few on a nice day on the weekend or god forbid none of yous have gone on a session before in your life

Advertisement