Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Center Parcs Experience

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭touts

Oh wow. Getting called out for a post from three years ago!! Sorry for not being able to predict a pandemic no one saw coming and travel chaos. I'll do better next time 🙄

Off to search through HBC08's post history as I'm sure there must be Nostradamus levels of wisdom in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭HBC08

Nothing to do with the pandemic in fairness.They have a fairly solid business model and would you believe they seem to know what they're doing more so than Touts on boards,that was my point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,611 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

For perspective a decent camp style holiday in France can set you back 5-6K

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,044 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I go every year and I don't spend anywhere near that. I'd estimate it to be half that in fact.

Im sure you can but not if you fly drive. Im sure someone going to Center Parks in Ireland appreciate the fact that they arrive in a matter of hours.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,964 ✭✭✭enricoh

My brother in law brought his crew to Spain a month ago. They were up in the airport at 3am for a 6.30 flight. I'd be like a rat never mind the kids!

We got in the car at 10, arrived centerparcs at 12 n were in the pool an hour later.

650 or 700 can't remember which for 4 nights for the 4 of us in a log cabin. E3-400 for extra activities n grub while we were there. Pretty reasonable imo.

I fly into Nice (€480 for 2a1c). Hire a car (€390) and stay in a campsite in a mobile (€900 for 3 people) we stay in a hotel on our first night (€120) and that's pretty much it. That's for 30th June this year until 12th July. This year's prices are a bit higher than normal after COVID. Guaranteed sun, lots of beaches, water parks and the best scenery in the world on tap.

we are going in July to near Nice, car hire 1,500, flights a grand or so and then the park price.

You definitely need to shop around a bit if you're spending that much on a rental car. I've added the screenshot of my reservation just in case I'm accused of telling porkies.

We usually get flights for about €100-110 but this yeah they were a bit more expensive with the usual Ryanair so we're flying with Lufthansa via Zurich for €160 a person including a 23kg bag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

I don’t get these comparisons. You could get a much cheaper holiday in Ireland too. Centreparcs offers a specific holiday type that appeals to people. That is why they do the short breaks. Most people going to CP do not replace a summer holiday with CP. It is an additional long weekend away. It allows access to great facilities in comfortable surroundings.

• Advertisement

The comparison was made for a week in France (in my case 12 days) being the same price as a week in CP.

By the way that's where the comparison Enda, because every single detail of the France week away is better in comparison

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,635 ✭✭✭✭fits

It depends on what you want but the convenience of centerparcs is a huge plus. I’ve never flown with my twins and dreading it tbh. Need to get passports first too. It is a huge hassle to get abroad. And travelling with young children can be stressful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

This has been happening since they announced they were coming, I don’t understand it, yes it’s expensive but it is a well ran place with lots to do. It’s convenient travel wise. Hotels in Ireland in high season are very expensive in general yes it can be cheaper to go elsewhere but occupancy rates in all their parks are very high all year round so they must be doing something right as they seem to get a lot of repeat custom. I suspect most of the people that go, go for short breaks and for that wouldn’t want the hassle of planes or ferries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Jesus what kind of car is that?

We are picking up a car in Nice on 9th July and its €410 for 13 days. And thats €200 more expensive than it was last few times we went.

Now hopefully covid doesnt scupper it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

you are taking a 2 legged flight to get to nice 😥

Yeah with a short stopover in Zurich. Saved us several hundred this year as the usually cheap flights were no longer cheaper. Only adds approximately an hour to the total travel time but is at a much better time of the day for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Fernagx

Hi

We'll be going to centre parcs next year. On the accommodation options, is it worth upgrading to the Executive lodge?

And do people do early check in? 3pm doesn't seem early to me.

Any other extras or activities that people would recommend for toddlers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,238 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Dunno what the normal lodges are like, we've stayed in the Executive each time. The bonus is there's a pool room and big telly hooked up to an Xbox (I think you can rent the controllers and games, or just bring your own). If sharing with other families it's great as when in the house the kids just stay in there entertaining themselves with pool and Netflix.

We did have one with a sauna one time but couldn't figure out how to get it to work, might have been an issue with it.

I dont believe there is much difference between the smaller woodland and executive lodges. The woodland lodges are lovely. No reason for us to upgrade at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Wouldn’t bother with early check in. You can get into the park and use the facilities from 10 am anyway not worth paying to get into your lodge an hour early.

not sure I’d be too bothered paying for executive lodges unless you had maybe teenagers and wanted to give them extra space, the lodges are all furnished and kitted out similarly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

I've stayed in both & the only differences is a little bit extra space in the Exec & all the bedrooms are ensuite. We went for the Exec the first time we stayed because we had my other half's mother with us so having all the rooms ensuite was just a little handier for us. Honestly though the woodland were pretty good.

We tried to check in early the 2nd time but got stuck in a queue for checking in. It didn't make a huge difference for us to check in at 3pm as we hadn't planned anything for the first day either time so was grand. Loads of time at that point to dump out everything, grab bikes from the rental part & get ourselves settled.

My little boy was 2 last year when we went & there wasn't a huge amount he could do as a lot was from 3 & up. That said he loved the messy play slot and the owl experience (he's still talking about it). He also did the mini captains thing with his dad & had a great time. Lots of cycles around & visits to the playground. And the pool was a massive hit obviously. Love every second in there. We did manage to swing an extra slot for it by just asking at the office which was well worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭GAAcailin

We went for the Executive, it was bank hol weekend and there was only about €50 in difference in price. As the lodges were over €1000 for that weekend it wasn't a massive percentage dearer. Kids loved having the tv in their room, they also liked the hydrobath in our room. Not much in it really, bit nicer. A friend that has smallies and was there same weekend as us paid extra to be in the central area so they didn't have far to go to the activities; our kids are a bit older so didn't bother us.

I think if we'd have brought our dog with us (which we didn't) I would have paid for the early check-in as after a drive down from Dublin would want somewhere to bring/put her. Otherwise wouldn't bother - we parked up and went straight to the pool (which we had booked) and then checked into the lodge at about 5.30.

BTH - we arrived at 2.45 and straight through security; no wait. think it depends really

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

All the comforts, activities etc in the world won't fix the weather in Ireland. Yes it suits some not to travel abroad but when the prices are comparable with a week or tens days in guaranteed sunshine I know which one I'm picking.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I really don't get the centerparcs thing at all. Are people going for the kids or what?

Young kids don't need holidays. In fact I think it's a bad thing to normalise it for them. When they're older they're going to view holidays as an entitlement rather than a privelege.

Anyone who goes to Centerparcs has money to burn. The same ones will be complaining about the rising energy costs then.

Ha. Ok.

no I wouldn’t be going to centerparcs if I didn’t have a young family. But parents are happy when their kids are and that makes a holiday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,509 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

That price has everything to do with the pandemic. Prices of everything have gone crazy it's not unique to Parcs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭browne_rob5

Of course we are going for our kids. Why else would we be going there?

Second comment is the most bizarre statement I have ever read. What we just knock around at home for 2 weeks while not taking a holiday that we would all enjoy and can afford? Most of the country takes some sort of a holiday so they are not a privilege.

Centerparcs is not comparable to a 2 week holiday in south of France or Spain. A 2 leg flight to the heat of Nice with 2 young kids sounds like torture to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭GAAcailin

Give me a 1.5 hour drive to Longford any day rather than the carry on at Dublin Airport at the moment! Big fan of a bit of sunshine me too but tbh our kids not bothered about the weather at all - they loved CP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,260 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Young kids don't need holidays? What a ridiculous statement. The very reason I go to Spain or Portugal every summer is for the kids. No work so I just give them my full attention. Best memories as a child are going on summer holidays with my family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭notAMember

The "tropical" area of centerparcs is part of the attraction. It's 29 C in there all year around.

Advertisement