Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2022 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I wouldn't be writing Nadal off, as he says himself "he is not injured, he is a player living with an injury". You can bet between now and when he walks on court at the French Open he will have all the best people work with him to get into the best possible condition to win the tournament, he has even said he is going to have a doctor with him.

You do have to wonder why he continues to put himself through this? He owes the sport nothing, he has achieved everything there is to achieve in the sport why continue?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭Augme

The drive for most grandslams will keep him and novak in the game as long as possible. If novak retired with nadal I would expect him to hang it up, same with novak if he went ahead.

On the other hand knowing when you age has finally caufgt up with younand you are past it is often quite difficult to fully realise. Like Federer. I've no doubt there's a attitude of "once I'm over this injury I'll be back to my best". Problem with age is that injuries tend not to disappear or else you just quickly develop a new one and it's a perpetual cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Good match here between Swiatek and Andresscu. It would be great to see Andresscu getting a good run over a number of tournaments. If Andresscu stays injury free she can be some competition Swiatek.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

Djokovic is a f*cking WARRIOR

Yep so Djokovic is looking like he's peaking quite nicely on clay.

FAA gave him a good match and there was some very nice quality from both sides

ATP win 999 for ND and he stays at world number 1 for another week

Played better than last week against Alcaraz. A level up.

Crisp baseline shots and his drop shots much better against possibly the second fastest mover after Alcaraz

He'll be looking to take the title here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

FAA was looking sharp too, makes it all the sweeter for this Djokovic win ...

At the level that he showed last night he beats the scraggly prune at RG and at least matches Alcaraz imo

It's 2.3/1 vs 2.4/1 in the French open betting now with Alcaraz just favourite ahead of Djokovic

Nadal 3.4 /1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

🤣 The djokovic circle jerk continues unabated I see

Well I mean Nadal does look like a scraggly prune - should have used more sunscreen over the years I think and the hair-jobs haven't worked

Also if Djokovic can maintain the level of last night it's likely to be him and Alcaraz in the running for the title - most observers would agree with that.

Looks like he has managed to overcome the Australian ordeal to get back to top tennis which is an achievement in itself

Well done to Djokovic on getting to 1,000 ATP Wins

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭josip

And they're under way in the 3:15 at Stadio Del Tennis, where An Gabhar has taken an early lead.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Swiatek's incredible run continues. 5 consecutive titles, 28 consecutive wins. If she wins RG she'll match Venus Williams 35 match win streak from Summer 2000, which I believe is the longest win streak of the 21st century so far.

She's the heavy, heavy favourite for RG, hope she can cope with the weight of expectation. Likely the only thing that can stop her is an Ostapenko style player who plays lights out for one match and promptly loses the next, or else pressure/fatigue.

Bit early for Tsitsipas to be slamming the racquet 😬

Tsits is going to be bagelled in the opening set

Not a great first set from the point of view of the match

Novak hitting the ball very very crisply

Elite returning

Looking like a 38th Masters title so far

Tsits serving much better in the 2nd set and has the break up on Djokovic

Crowd wanted a match and are getting it

Djokovic went a bit flat there (first set was sort of too easy for him) as well as Tsits serving better in the 2nd but as he has the ability to do woke up and went "clutch mode" to break back as Tsits was serving for the set.

Job done

Nobody is going call it a great match - good week for Djokovic and he's in form

Daniela looking good and actually knows something about tennis - good choice of presenters today!

Long interview with Stef - coming across as articulate

He's not a bad guy - maligned by some unfairly

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭poppy37

Iga has really stepped up a level, she has only lost two matches this year one to Collins and the other to Ostapenko so yeah hopefully she’s in the opposite side of the draw to both at Roland Garros. Ons put up a bit of a battle in the latter half of the second set but overall a very convincing win for Iga.

Djokovic finding form at exactly the right time.

It's been all but official for years now, but Laura Robson has officially called time on her career. Showed so much promise at an early age, such a shame to have her career robbed by injuries.

• Advertisement

She was a huge talent, I enjoy her commentating so hopefully she makes a career from it.

Oh dear, the ATP have stripped Wimbledon of ranking points. No mention yet of WTA. Might be a messy few weeks ahead 😬

So the AELTC's decision will make a Russian World #1.

The Law of Unintended Consequences strikes again 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 9,128 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I don't think the ATP had much choice there. You can't have individual tournaments on the tour setting their own entry requirements.

WTA followed the ATP's lead and won't be awarding ranking points for Wimbledon either, so neither Serena nor Federer will have a ranking after Wimbledon.

ScoMo and the 'Liberals' have been kicked out in Australia. Happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,239 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Only catching up on tennis news last couple of days. That's a pretty big split in the game.

Personally I'm disgusted to see Russian players in this French Open, puts a very bad taste in the mouth. Just goes to show where French loyalties and values lie. I spit on them.

Grass court season well underway and already an injury retirement from Raducanu. To be fair she was obviously in discomfort from midway through the first game but questions have to be asked of her team who allowed her out to compete when injured.

It’s tough to watch, is it the pressure? Is she too tight from nerves and maybe that’s why she picks up so many muscular strains. No points being given at Wimbledon takes the pressure off a little. Hopefully she doesn’t check social media cos all the trolls are having a field day.

Vitalia Diatchenko banned from practising tennis in Dublin. Take that Putin!

• Advertisement

I think that Raducanu and her "team" (father mainly it seems) have not exactly done themselves too many favours with the combative attitude that she and they have taken towards things -

• the very adamant "we know what we're doing having many coaches" despite this never being a thing outside of junior level coaching (and especially when results continue to be poor)
    • responding to any criticism or even perceived criticism very much head-on instead of ignoring it (e.g. the stuff about attending events etc and responding to Piers Morgan on same)
    • feeding the articles about blisters etc whether it's foot or hand or whatever and just keep quiet about it.if there was an article about every time a tennis player got a blister.....?
    • a bit more humility and smarter pr about things would be a good move on her / their part imo and would make things easier for her, particularly as things are not great on the court

The ads are getting cringier and more unintentionally ironic also - "perfect your forehand" - ummmm

take the money while it's there I suppose

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Advertisement