Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

Typical Galway, once they get above minor grade the same failings rear their heads where poor performances lead to heavy beatings and good performances still seem to yield plenty of losses.

Another comical goal conceded. Seems we give away goals like that hand over fist and never seem to get any.

Something's seriously wrong that you can be so dominant at minor level yet so embarrassingly poor once they get to adult hurling.

One extreme to the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭Robson99

How in the name of jaysus can the mgmt not see that our puck out strategy was a complete shambles. 2 free men every time for the shirt one and we go long ...we will never adapt to the modern game if under age dont change their systems ....shocking

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Robert2014

Is it me or in both football and hurling are we soft compared to other counties in letting in last minute goals or letting teams back into games after getting into a position to win games? Would Limerick or Kilkenny have conceded that last minute goal? Would Kerry let Mayo back into the game the last day?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭cosatron

Hanley was playing allot of long puck outs last year with the minors aswell and didn't change when the cork half back line were having a field day.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,472 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Doubt it.

what Galway needed in the last minutes of that game was calm down.

When the game really went into the final phase and Galway led by a goal, they had several point attempts from

mad positions, all wide which gave KK 110 mtrs of green grass from the puck out.

what they needed to do was calm down and get the four point advantage even if it took them a few attempts.

A ‘wide’ in hurling is very costly, usually around 110 mtrs in territory if needed, and Kk needed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

The team for Sunday Mar dhea as Duffy might say 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

No Fla. Would worry me even if fit he won't get his spot back against Roscommon (if we get that far) which is a worry. Other than that as expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MfMan

We're playing a championship match today. Does anyone know about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Avon8

Even on one of the nicest weekends of the year, Salthill never fails to be windy

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭briandebum

Who sets the ticket prices for the football? Wouldn't mind going along today but very tough to justify 25 euro for terrace vs Leitrim. Especially given that the hurling was tenner for terrace last week with a much juicier matchup. It'll be interesting to see what sort of turnout the match gets.

• Advertisement

The minor match in Tuam on Friday might be a better choice

Hard watch. Cillian McaDaid long range points the best of what's happen. Should of been 6 or 7 minutes added on with the amount time wasted.

Some of the off the ball shite on Shane Walsh is appalling and it took the ref 26 mins to book his marker even though he was repeatedly told by linesmen umpire and crowd what was going on.

Time to be takin off a few lads here... I thought Gallagher had a good league for one..... Ah here he comes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MfMan

Wind was across the field really, rather than end-to-end, and had practically no effect on the match.

Ticket prices were exorbitant, considering the fare the Leinster hurling is offering for a tenner. However, you might (ahem) get away with a student ticket if bought online and scanned.

Lessened considerably from 2pm on alright. Agree on your second point, I know lads at that for years!

Last year Mayo beat Leitrim by 24 and Sligo by similar, and while unfair mismatches, I remember thinking it was clinical in the way Dublin had been against Leinster counties for years. So it's good to win in a similar fashion

A sloppy enough first half, score-taking wise anyway, was followed by a very good second. The backs performed best on the day. Molloy was superb, and Daly and Kelly very good as usual.

Forwards probably not to the same level, but tidy in the second half. I've doubted Patrick Kelly's ability for intercounty before, but he looked stylish today and could have a role going forward. Nice to see Gallagher get a run and be lively

The lack of a press on their kickouts in the second half was probably forgivable in the circumstances, but probably bodes badly for our intentions in 2 weeks time. Will be similar to the setup as v Mayo I'd imagine

Had to stop pressing the kickout. I know Galway people will die of shock but we actually had some tactical prowess today!!! We were getting wiped at midfield (worry) and CON started shouting in to "let them have the kickout" heard him say to PJ after its better they build from their 21 than build from half way. Worked well to as we started to turn them over a lot more and break very quick.

Agree with your point of defense. Very strong. McDaid shot some great scores. PC a little off with the boot. Subs big impact (would love to know the story with Paul Kelly)

Best part for me was O Laoi managed to get wrapped up with a couple of Leitrim players and the pushing and shoving was becoming strong enough someone was about to do something stupid. Molloy came charging in but rather than get involved and back his teammate he pulled him away and gave him an earful for getting involved in silly shite. Calm head. Winning mentality.

PJ said after the game Fla should be back training in the next week or two. McHugh and Canney carrying knocks and only James McLoughlin long term. Who is due to go under the knife.

Saw that with Molloy alright. Good to see

I agree, the Paul Kelly thing is strange. Joyce was happy to start him v Mayo as a 19 year old kid with no experience and now 2 years on when he's much stronger he's struggling for game time. Might be something we don't know about. In saying that, I'm a bit happier with the competition within the squad than a few weeks ago. There does seem to be 3 or 4 viable options from the bench now, and PJ to a fault seems to take off whoever's having a quiet game no matter who they are, which should help to keep standards up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Paul Kelly is competing now with the likes of Niall Daly and Paddy Kelly who can both go midfield, half-forward or full. If he's not going well in training those two are in better form.

Great to McDaid finally getting a run of form together after serious misfortune with injury. He helped turn the tide in Castlebar and was my MOTM today. Hope he keeps up his excellent showings.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭fergalfrog

I contacted Galway GAA and they told me to contact Connacht GAA (which I have done with no reply).

I paid €80 for myself and 2 kids to sit in a half empty stand.

For comparison a kid can watch 2 matches (Kildare v Westmeath & Dublin v Meath) in Croke Park in the Lower Cusack for €5 next weekend.

There were 1,000 people less at this game than when Galway last played Leitrim suggesting a lot of Leitrim people did not make the trip. They seemed to have more support than us so it is reasonable to think there were somewhere between 1500 and 2,000 Galway supporters (total attendance 4,749) - which for a city and county of it's size is crazy.

A game that Galway were probably going to win, in Galway should have been packed with Galway kids to get them hyped for the next game. Instead Connacht GAA did their best to keep them away.

I have been going to Galway football games for a long time and it is extremely rare to be in the majority as a Galway fan. We will again be outnumbered by Roscommon supporters despite it being a home game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭cosatron

• Advertisement

Glennon and Flynn return to the bench.

Through to the knockout stages with a game to spare. Hard to assess much today. Laois are Laois but to be fair they've given us games at home before. Started great. Full back line were excellent. Darren Morrissey has grown into an excellent hurler. P. Mannion was excellent (himself and the brother were nearly playing a game on their own the amount of passing they did to each other)

Great performance from Tom Monaghan (0-6) Joseph Cooney (1-2) and Whelan. Fahy improved in this game but again against limited opposition.

Negatives. C. Cooney missed a number of straight forward frees. (Niland came on for him took a difficult one with his first touch close to the sideline over the black spot)

Middle third: Laois found scores especially in the first half too easy to get from long range. Dublin do the same with a lot of long range accurate shooting so the intensity would need to improve to close down space.

C. Mannion is a wizard.

Biggest celebration of the day Eanna Murphy with his point from play celebrating like he'd won an All Ireland! TBF while goalie scores from frees are common from play are a bit more of a rarity so maybe it's his first.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Green Peter

In relation to the Connacht council price hikes the simple reason is The Dome has to be paid for, it's a bit like the levy in knock airport, 25 years should do it.

Are the prices not similar to other provincial semi finals? It was €30 for Croke Park Sunday. €30 for Cork vs Kerry Munster semi final.

The minors lost to Leitrim by 5 points.... Seems Leitrim had a few performances but maybe it's more of a reflection of Galway as Mayo hammered them(4 points against Mayo was poor fare as well).

Half a team. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Fair statement from the minor hurlers. Clare lost a Munster Final on penalties to Tipp and are brushed aside by 16 points. Aaron Niland was exceptional.

Now get ready for the stadium and all the stress that will bring!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭letowski

I don’t think I’ve ever seen an underage prospect like Aaron Niland. I know that’s quite a statement to make, as there have been many an underage superstar and ye’ve had yer share down through the years. But Niland I believe is still only 15? An outrageous talent.

Lost track of the time so only saw the last ten minutes.

That win should be enough to get through as worst case scenario is a three way tie and that PD should suffice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Hard not to be excited by Aaron Niland's potential. He looked like Tony Kelly out there. Even stylistically. And I think he might still be underage next year. Hope he gets room to develop at his own pace though and the hype doesn't get too out of control.

Advertisement