Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Montys return

Sentiment mightn't be wrong but analysis sounds like a fella not watching Waterford play.

We've scored more goals than the other teams in Munster except Limerick, who've an extra game played. I would players trying to force goals is a much bigger problem than lads ignoring overlaps.

Austin Gleeson singled out by name despite being by a distance Waterfords best player in the campaign? He took a 130 yard free? Really? When? They laud those sidelines when they go over, can't remember him missing too many and he scored at least one. Has Austin really tried to score a sideline from inside his own half?

I'm not sure what "even when they're going well" means either. It makes it sounds like them going well is a happy accident in spite of loads of mistakes they are making. Doesn't really make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭skaface

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

I really wouldn't care what someone like Michael Duignan thinks. He proves on a weekly basis how out of touch with the game he is. He's put himself front and centre since Offaly won the minor in Leinster the other night, but must have forgot to charge his phone to make any statement when the young Offaly players were dropped from the under 14 panel for playing soccer. He's on record saying that if a team has a player sent off against them they should take off one of their own because sometimes the 14 men win. He's a bluffer who lives off pub talk with no facts, research or evidence to support his views.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Pudz2180

He’s the county chairman in Offaly and last year when Waterford played Clare in the Munster hurling championship he was on commentary duty for tv even though his own senior footballers were playing championship at the same time. Says it all really

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Pudz2180

Duignan also slated barry coughlan for feigning injury against loughmore last December. Fast forward to last Sunday duignan on commentary when a Clare player takes a dive to get hegarty sent off. Does he slate the Clare player?? He does in his f*** gobshite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Couldn’t care less what Duignan has to say. Anyone getting worked up about him needs to have a chat with themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

Duignan repeatedly embarrasses himself with his comments on matches, and unfortunately I do believe he is extremely (for whatever reason) biased against Waterford. Mind you he spoke at the WLR awards in the Granville Hotel one year and he spoke glowingly of Waterford and his admiration for us!!!

Being honest i pay very little attentions to what he say in commentary or analysis, i have heard better and more accurate analysis of games at 2.00 am that night in the Kazbar in town. Unfortunately RTE seem to love him, between himself Marty and Ger, they are a bit like the Marx Brothers. When you look at some of the good analysts out there, it beggars belief that they are still using him.

That aside I started watching a rerun of the Cork game, and quite honestly I am baffled at how dead the majority of our players were, there was more intensity displayed at a sale in "Next" than was displayed by the majority of our players. The simple basic mistakes we repeatedly made were unbelievable, and I only got to the 20 minute mark when we were still leading.

I do not know what went wrong, but i do not believe we were over-hyped based on our League Form - something malfunctioned last Sunday but what is worrying is that it involved the majority of the team, and that should not be happening - when one or two or even five lads are not going well the others should be upping their game and we should be getting lads in off the bench - that's what it is there for. Until we address these kind of collapses, we are soft targets for the likes of Duignan & Co., and the only people who can do anything about it are the players - they should take this criticism as an insult and look to ram it down Duignan's throat and proviev him wrong - this Sunday is a chance to do that, irrelevant of what happens in Thurles.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

What happened to Connor Prunty this year, he was great the previous few years looks to be having a mare the last few games. Stephen Bennett looked like he was playing his third game of the day last week also, very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭chookieourlaw

It's true that nearly all of them seemed to be flat in the Cork game. Could it be that they were trained into the ground in the break between the Limerick game and the last game? The fact that they were almost all flat suggests that this is likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

could a modern day management team make such a moronic error…?

you might expect this with a club team with a Pat shortt / John Kenny type management set up……40 laps being the warm up etc etc but not with the one we are led to believe we have….

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

all those goals and we are still -7 pts on the score difference.

Austin has done enough to allow himself to be singled out in recent years. He's a pantomime Villain unfortunately for the media and it's easy pickings for them and referees to go after him at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭JD. 60

There is a sense of foreboding about this weekend. I think a full strength Tipperary would certainly be capable of beating Cork but you would have to fancy Cork getting the job done, unfortunately.

The championship started 5 weeks back so it will be a long 47 weeks to the next outing. I suppose in the bad old days, you could lose your first game and that was it for another 12 months. The rules are the same for all teams so no excuses if our season ends on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,317 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

At this stage you have to think will we ever get out of the group in the this bloody format and its not going anywhere unfortunately esp as its suites the big boys in hurling

If Cahill does go then where too from there ? Derek part 2, another Fanning type appointment that could go nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭JD. 60

Any recommendations on where to park in Ennis.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Management have doubled down on their strategy as they did a heavy training session on Wednesday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Deiseen

I see a lot of talk in here once again about "tight" Walsh Park and "the wide open spaces of Thurles", when in actual fact there is very very little between the two pitches.

Semple definitely affords more space on the sidelines and behind the goal, but the pitches themselves are almost identical in size with Thurles being a couple of metres bigger at the most.

I think it is perceived to be smaller, as there is no high vantage point in Walsh Park but it is no more than that.

Surely the fact that Cork were able to find so much space dispels that theory all by itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭farmerval

Was about to make the same point, this crap about Walsh Park not suiting Waterford, surely it wouldn't suit Cork either?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Prunty out. Conor gleeson to 3. Ian Kenny in

What does ‘doubled down’ mean and can you define a ‘heavy training session’…..?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭skaface

Think everyone should have s read if this https://www.rte.ie/sport/hurling/2022/0511/1297395-size-matters-gaa-pitch-dimensions-irk-beyond-measure/

walsh pk is 10m narrower than semple and 3m shorter……so there maybe some merit in the ‘wide open spaces’ of Thurles…..but how much actual difference does the 5m’s each side make….?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

I was thinking the same reading the article, he sounded a little harsh.

But then Derek Mcgrath and John Mullane have drew a lot of media attention with ill advised comments and articles they made themselves only very recently.

Where John claimed Waterford had the best panel in the country, and Derek confidently talking complete nonsense in the independent about guaranteed performance levels.

The comments they made naturally drew attention to Waterford and put huge pressure on them IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭deise man

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

Prunty injured

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭letowski

The housing estate in front of the Dunnes shopping centre is usually a good spot as there is usually a space to park the car. Also the road southwards (Friar's Walk) when leaving is quicker than the Clon Road.

Seems a lot of those type of injuries for us recently

Tipperary are still in with a chance of qualifying if they pull off a win and waterford get beaten as everyone expects at this stage. Big question is are Wateford and Tipp too deflated confidence wise to be able to motivate themselves for a win…? Personally I can only see a Clare and Cork victory this weekend. If the opposite occurs then I’ll obviously be delighted as it will mean Wateford progress but not sure if they will go much further. What sort of opposition will the third place Munster team face in the next phase/qualifiers…?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Niallers87

Clare have made 4 or 5 changes to the team from last week, so ye should be in with a good chance to win

Advertisement