Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion - 2024 All Ireland Hurling Champions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

You can't host a Munster final in Ennis or Waterford. The stadiums are way ,way too small. I was at Cusack Park on Sunday and had a very enjoyable day. The facilities there are worse than basic. Portaloos for females behind the West terrace and no shops for water. 5 euro for bottle of coke and they ran out before the match started. Its borderline a dangerous exit aswell.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭caddy16

€5 for a bottle of coke........you spout some rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BnB

The only downer on what was a great day in Ennis was the utterly embarrassing state of the facilities in Ennis. The county board of the last 20 years should hang their heads in shame at the prehistoric state of the place.

It was 5 euro for a bottle of Coke in Cusack Park.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Was just watching on TV myself the pitch didn't look great on Sunday.

Would there be a lack of space for a future redevelopment? I know there's an Aldi or Lidl behind 1 of the goals anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,746 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Aldi one side and a houseing development the other. There really isn't much space - even at that, for bigger stands, they wouldn't be able to get planning permission I'd say.

Longer term if they wanted a bigger stadium they'd need to look outside Ennis

Just had a look on Google maps, river right behind the terrace too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,971 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Wasn't there talk of a new pitch down the Gort Road (I think) is that now gone. Pitch did luck horrible

Dare I suggest where the County Board are based in Clarecastle (which is separate from Clarecastle GAA) would be a good location for a stadium? Accessible from both sides via motorway etc.

Maybe I'm way off the mark in my thoughts though

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭caddy16

No not enough space there anyway. The proposed location of the new stadium a few years back wasn't far from there though but was bogland so would have been a disaster.

I don't think they need a new ground if they could just put a proper plan in place for Cusack park. They literally wasted the bones of €2M on it a couple of years ago. Capacity wise it's fine, just general facilities need a complete overhaul. The pitch has been very good the last few years, Sunday was the worst I've seen it in a while.

• Advertisement

Looking at the size of the physical structures its hard to believe Ennis has a similar capacity to the likes of Portlaoise and Tullamore with the decent size stand and terrace in those grounds.

Don't know if economic benefits for the town would be a factor too, looking at Buff Egan's snapchat seemed to an brilliant stir around Ennis on Sunday.

Ya true - Stadium being in-and-around an urban centre does make sense in that way. I agree that if they could even just bump capacity up a small bit but somehow make the stadium safer/more accessible, they should keep it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭letowski

I personally find going to Ennis for a big game a great experience. Look, the stadium certainly needs some upgrades with regards to toiletry facilities, the press area, the dressing rooms. It should have floodlights by now. But I think the in-game experience is very good. It's right in the town centre where you can have a few pints with the lads and get the build up to the game. I think the stadium itself has alot of character too, the shed is a great place to watch the match. The three terrace sides are all connected, so you get that type of "bowl" look to the place. I think it showed last weekend with a capacity crowd, its great ground to generate atmosphere and tension. Getting in and out of the town isn't bad either. I don't know, maybe I've been coming to the grounds so long I come to accept its flaws, but I do love matchdays in Cusack Park more than most GAA grounds being honest. I know one or two friends who really liked their visit to CP, a friend from Mayo who came down a couple of years ago for that AI football qualifier, had nothing but good things to say about the day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BnB

I'd agree with all of what you said above, it's a really great place to watch a match.

But that's what bugs me most, it wouldn't take a huge amount to get it right. Just building decent toilet facilities that are accessible from all areas of the ground would go a long way towards getting it right

Completely agree, I'm usually at the Cloister's end and they are beyond awful there. As you said, a few minor upgrades would go a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

The minor hurlers are back in action on Saturday, v Galway in Athenry. Part of the All-Ireland "round robin series". Both Clare and Galway will then go on to play Laois.

No idea what to expect from Galway given it's their first game.

Clare should be fairly battle hardened after the Cork, Waterford and Tipp (x2) games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

I actually wouldn't have a problem with the Munster final being in the Gaelic grounds. As long as the tickets were guaranteed to be distributed fairly, the clare fans wouldn't have any issues with traffic problems like you would in cork.

Still though, hard to beat Munster final day in semple.......

The Munster final is confirmed for Thurles, June 5th at 4pm. Tickets go on sale next week.

The pitch in Cusack Park is usually excellent. It was very apparent that it was over fertilised last Sunday. That's what the dark blue-ish tinge and streaks were. Any farmer or gardener would tell you that just by looking at it. And the grass was a little long.

Thurles it is. I won't be surprised if its 2 to 1 Limerick support but that's normal. I hope its no more than that and the Clare support turns out. I'm sure they will and it ll be a sell out or close to it.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Advertisement

The Clare support under Lohan has been very good, the public is massively behind him. Home tickets have been sold out for months. And Clare brought good support to Thurles for the away games too. I don't expect it to be 2:1 at all, demand will be high in the county, especially after the game last Sunday and the way the team is going in general.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Cusack Park is brilliant for big matches, but mainly cause it's within walking distance from my home 😁 Munster Final in Cusack Park could never happen, FFS it can barely manage a county final and Munster matches are a major stretch, FFS town ran out of cider and ice last weekend after the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

You must have told the attendant to keep the change, or they must have misunderstood you. It wasn't €5 in the Town side terrace anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

I have to admit, i didn't expect such a weakened team this weekend. 6 changes, but that includes Kelly, Conlon and Ryan, etc. I get it though, just taught Lohan would still go for this game. I would have liked Meehan to have started this one. Maybe we can expect another change or two on gameday.

Ye are fully entitled to pick that team in fairness, you've already looked after your business.

In reality its more 4 than 6 changes as Jason Mc and Mounsey's starting positions are very much up for grabs on this team. There are 4 starters not on that team, Kelly, Conlon, Ryan and Flanagan. Flanagan we know picked up a knock and was temporarily replaced (infamously lol) by Aaron Fitz. So its understandable he is rested if he is still recovering. Not sure about the other 3, though its worth mentioning that Kelly, Conlon and Ryan all had to deal with significant injuries earlier this year. But I imagine they are simply rested.

One another note, I'd be looking to pull Malone and Taylor as soon as on Sunday. Both players have put in massive shifts for Clare this championship and it would be more beneficial imo they don't play another full 70 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

its a fantastic venue atmosphere wise but it needs far more seats , they should just refurbish the terrace and put a seated stand over there ,i know it makes for a great atmosphere but everyone are like sardines in there

ennis is like carrick on shannon or killarney as one of them towns that are full of atmosphere any day of the week , if we moved out the motorway like proposed years ago we we would have lost that atmosphere last week around the town

its the same when clare play in thurles everyone go's to the greyhound stadium aor in as far as noel ryans and no further , leaving the town itself to lack that atmosphere that was there years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

would like to have seen shane o'donnell rested also , but still a good team , you have to seriously admire shane goldens commitment to clare over the last 10 years , possibly at times the best club player in the county , has found the inter county level tough going at times but never drops off and always gives his best

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Maybe it was felt O’Donnell and Duggan “need the hurling” given their long absences.

anyways, we have 2 weeks until the Munster final which is ideal. If it was only one week I think we’d be seeing a different team.

Advertisement