Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Softening house market?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Hello Minister O'Brien.

Our FFG led Govt have been saying this for 10 years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Xidu

China is one of countries heavily rely on house market to support the GDP.

i heard a lot of housing companys lay off 30% employees alreadyZ

today China announced 5y rate cut to amid housing market.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭tinytobe

Canada has a real problem, with a massive housing bubble. The problem is very big in cities like Toronto and Vancouver, it's way more down to earth in Alberta, though. There is also a lot of "dirty money" from immigrants with shady backgrounds, Chinese Mafia, drug money, possibly Oligarch laundering, etc... Ireland doesn't seem to have these kind of issues.

The Bank of Canada is committed to raise interest rates, making lending more expensive, thus the market will cool. Also foreign buyers, anybody who isn't citizen or immigrant, is bared from buying for 2 years.

The Canadian bubble is a classical bubble something like Ireland used to have up until 2008.

Ireland mainly has a nepotism problem, few construction companies, few land developed, old friends knowing each other, limiting supply, etc.... and lots of demand by internationals who work ( sometimes in alibi roles) for one of these IT companies making use of Irelands low tax laws.

What I am guessing is going to happen in Ireland is that the market will slow, will soften, but prices won't go down much, if at all, for the sole reason, that supply is limited. Also, those who are renting are renting for a reason, like can't get mortgages, can't buy, so they won't be pushing demand up as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Interest rates could hit 6% though. Only the poor borrow at 6% tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,274 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

china re-inflated its economy post 08 by creating one of the largest credit bubbles in human history, its coming to an end now.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Mr Hindley

Trying (vainly) to convince myself that I did the right thing by waiting a little bit before buying -

Total supply on Daft on 12th May ~15,000

Today ~15,400

General trend is definitely (slowly) upwards. Now, some friends yesterday were reporting crazy bidding wars still going on out there (one example - asking price 750k, now over 1 million), so we'll see what happens...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

There will be a very hard landing and the bubble has already popped. Watch this space!

It could result in a flood of extra cheap Chinese exports to the West when they stop fussing over COVID but also significantly cheaper raw materials for building considering the amount of raw materials used in the Chinese property market.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Mr Hindley

Actually, looking around the south Dublin area, I'd say asking prices for apartments have now plateaued - I don't have concrete evidence but I've been following the market and apartments seem to have hit their peak asking price some time in the last few months. Anything that goes over that ceiling lingers and then sees a small reduction.

I haven't noticed the same on houses, and there's definitely still some crazy bidding wars going on out there, from what I hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭hayse

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭_H80_GHT

I noticed most new properties in the areas I was looking were auction properties, all added 20/05. Is this what generally happens, that they are all added monthly and this is the cause of the rise you see?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭greensausage

It's purely anecdotal but there are roughly 20% more properties for sale on daft this week than in recent months in my area.

I'm hoping to buy next year so I've been keeping an eye on what's available over 2 years now, as I say though it's a small sample size.

Post edited by greensausage on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Theres an absolute limit of affordability that when hit, will obviously plateau prices. South Dublins expensive desirable areas must be at this level now and can't go much further. However, I can see other areas in Dublin and surrounds still climbing and closing the gap due to the imbalance between supply and demand that currently exists

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Actually that end of the market is furthest from the 2007 peak , three bed houses in marino are making 600k plus while you can get a two bed apartment in Ballsbridge for 800 k , the D4 property is better value

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I have noticed this as well. Not 20% yet but getting there

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Ozark707

A narrow search I have is up 20% in the past few weeks. South Dublin. Quite a few drops coming through now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

I think people are starting to sound Anxious.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭alias no.9

If things start to go south, construction will switch off very quickly if the returns aren't there. People who may have traded up or down will stay put. If its anything like the last crash, there'll be some fire sales of unsold new stock but after that it'll be executor sales and distressed assets. Given the shortage of rental stock and the limited new entrants to the market in recent years outside of institutional investors, the proportion of over leveraged investors will be much smaller this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

I wouldn't read too much into this when correlated with the rental supply numbers its obvious small landlords are taking rentals and putting them up for sale

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

What is there to be anxious about if you have a house? You have a roof over your head, if you lose your job our country dont do family home repossessions. There is a lot of anxious people trying to buy and rent. I think people waiting for another 2008 style crash will be left waiting the numbers for the supply and demand for both rentals and for sale are horrendously skewed in favour of demand. There aint any ghost estates being built this time around. The report that there are a high number of vacant houses may give some relief but until we see that figure and a plan to get them on stream I think we have a way to go for the Euphoria stage. I mean if the the mortgage rules were let loose our house prices would rocket up again. Interesting times ahead with the above, Sinn Fein coming into power and interest rates rising.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Calculator123

Interesting that some are seeing increases in houses being advertised. In my own search area (admittedly limited and not a major urban area), I'm seeing fewer week on week. However the asking price drops are beginning to appear, and houses seem to be advertised for longer. Hard to tell but there looks to be some jitters in the market. But to what extent and what end, who knows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Construction is already switching off. Mate of mine got let go on Friday as the site is closing down. They are only finishing off some of the houses already started and are starting no new ones. They have put some of the half finished ones on the back burner too. Hes happy enough. Hes going off to Spain for a couple of weeks and will have another job by the time he decides he wants to come home.

Normally supply increases around now anyway in any year. Will increase in the autumn too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

I bought a house last near in a new estate and have noticed a big drop off in construction activity on the site in the past fortnight. This morning was crazy, 2 cars there. 2 fellas working. There are 14 houses under construction currently but progress has really stalled. Guessing it's material shortages.

Wait til they put boards across the road leading into the unfinished part. They you know they've completely stopped :)

All that will be there is a security guard.

...and/or people starting to back out of buying!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Nero2900

Material supply will be resolved in time. In the next few years we are going to have record builds.

On top of this we have rising rates, which wont stop anytime soon. Fighting inflation is max priority.

On top of this we will have policy pushing empty houses on the market and a real danger of property investors moving to greener pastures.

People are going to be surprised how quickly prices revert.

...only that current inflationary pressures are not truly related to the money supply, its largely a supply and energy crisis, raising rates wont resolve these issues, theyre just going to further compound them, this is gonna get very very messy.... raising rates may in fact further increase these supply and energy problems, as economies contract, as businesses and people reduce borrowing. we ultimately need states to expand their involvement in markets, but since our ideologies are stuck in the opposite thinking, we potentially could be facing serious problems!

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭WacoKid

My two cents.

Current prices are due to people having liquidity available, and not because the Banks are lending recklessly. To assume we will have a crash like 2008 is maybe comparing apples and oranges.

Houses in Dublin are now priced on 2 x incomes per household and will forever more be.

Demand for properties in desirable areas will always remain strong and these properties have shown they are somewhat insulated from big drops, not big hikes though. Yes there may be record builds on the outskirts of Dublin but the infrastructure etc. is usually lagging behind and you may need to consider this.

You then have to consider what inflation is doing to your savings while you wait for any potential re-correction over the next n years.

Finally is property not a much better hedge for time-travelling your wealth in the long term than money in the bank will ever be?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭landofthetree

I dont think the average Irish person knows what happens to REITs when they see prices/rents fall. They seem to think that X company who bought loads of apartments in Dublin and will stick it out for the long term and accept falling rents. They dont seem to understand that cash reserves won't cover the mad rush of investors who will be pulling out asap.

Interest rate risk

The biggest risk to REITs is when interest rates rise, which reduces demand for REITs. In a rising-rate environment, investors typically opt for safer income plays, such as U.S. Treasuries. Treasuries are government-guaranteed, and most pay a fixed rate of interest. As a result, when rates rise, REITs sell off and the bond market rallies as investment capital flows into bonds.

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/investing/031915/what-are-risks-reits.asp

• Advertisement

Buddy of mine lives in the BC interior and prices have gone absolutely batshit crazy there. He's lucky that he's splitting a duplex and his landlady is upstairs and is doing well and likes him so he's paying well under the market rate. He's in what was recently absolutely not a sought-after part of the town. 3 properties on his street sold in the last year including a completely wrecked/burned/boarded up former Drug Den for I think $550k.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement