Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fall of the Catholic Church

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭Shoog

But your directly comparing Ireland to those Islamic countries - which I think is an indefensible position.

I have visited many Islamic countries and yes I consider European values far superior and more advanced. Most Islamic countries are theocracies and just in case you hadn't guessed it yet - I think religion has no place in the governance of a country.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,753 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I’m not entirely certain whether you’re asking me, or telling me, in the form of rhetorical questions, but the answer to both questions is no.

It’s outside of this jurisdiction, but two interesting cases in another jurisdiction might give you some insight into the complexities of how secularism is interpreted in law. It’s why I wanted to nail down exactly what you meant by secularism. If you think I was nitpicking, you really ain’t seen nothing yet -

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-court-religion-idUSKBN2412FX

https://www.scotthulse.com/labor-employment/the-supreme-court-holds-that-catholic-school-teachers-are-ministers-and-cannot-bring-employment-discrimination-claims/

Andrew with about as much respect as I’d care to muster at this stage - you’re in no position to criticise anyone for avoiding questions. I pointed out earlier you hadn’t answered a single question I had asked you, and you think you’re somehow in a position where I have to answer your questions?

Respectfully, jog on, good man.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,510 ✭✭✭jmreire

Your opinion Shoog, and I'm pretty sure that Muslims consider us to be the barbarians ( in fact I know that quite a lot of them do) . And yes, I've lived fir many years in Islamic Countries too.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,387 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I'll try again:

The teacher is teaching religion during school time, yes or no?

If yes, who is paying for it - the church, the state or someone else?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

Its good to know where someones coming from when judging their opinion - I've got your number now.

So all education is dogma by your broad definition. 

I was referring specifically to the views expressed by @Crooked Jack. I’m not sure where you got the impression I was referring to all education, but in any case the definition I provided wasn’t mine, it was clear I was using definitions provided by the Merriam-Webster dictionary.

But here's the problem with that position - to make a statement of fact is not an insistance that those hearing it believe it to be true. There is no pass or fail if you choose not to accept the reality of homosexuality. Otherwise the simple statement of the christian faith would require the pupils to be compelled to accept it as fact. 

I’m aware of that much. The point of insistence and dogmatism was in claiming that all children must be instilled with the beliefs being expressed. Whether or not the children believe the claims in the views being expressed which they are being exposed to is a different matter entirely.

(and that’s notwithstanding the fact that parental consent will always, always be required for relationships and sexuality education, and notwithstanding the fact that the school decides how relationships and sexuality education is delivered)

Can you not see the contradiction in your position here ?

No, but I do see where you ascribed a position to me that I don’t hold, and then built your point on a faulty assumption about a position you ascribed to me which I don’t hold - that being what you claimed was by my broad definition, all education is dogma.

Yes, the teacher is teaching religion during school time.

The teacher is not paid to teach religion during school time.

Still not actually making it clear how teaching about homosexuality is indoctrination. You've avoided addressing that to many time at this stage. Its you opinion that expressing a fact is indoctrination by your definition. Your tap dancing around not defining how teaching about homosexuality is indoctrination is not impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,510 ✭✭✭jmreire

And where would that be from Shook?? And what's my Number? Are you clairvoyant? 😂

• Advertisement

I haven’t avoided anything I wasn’t referring to in the first place. By way of trying to be helpful though, this was the part @Crooked Jack asks to explain how it is dogmatic -

Teaching kids only about heterosexuality is incorrect as it implies that homosexuality does not exist. Which it does. It is damaging because, since homosexuality exists and we are neglecting to educate children about it then some homosexual children will not understand themselves and be unequipped for later life. It is damaging to heterosexual children as they will not understand homosexuals, who might be their siblings, or parents, or future children. And so they will be unequipped for later life. Please explain how this is dogmatic.

None of the above is actually fact, it is an opinion, an argument, a point of view, dogma. Teaching children dogma as though it is fact, constitutes indoctrination. Again, just by way of reminding you what is meant by indoctrination -

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/indoctrinate

You are **** me about.

The teacher is paid by the state

OR

The thecer us paid by the church

OR

The teacher is paid by someone else

OR

The teacher is not paid at all and has those hours deducted.

Homosexuality is a fact of nature - not an opinion. it occurs in many species of animals as well as humans. To deny this objectively observed fact is a denial of reality as observed - it is you who have the unsupported opinion not Crooked Jack.

"Various non-human animal species exhibit behavior that can be interpreted as homosexual or bisexual. This may include same-sex sexual activity, courtship, affection, pair bonding, and parenting among same-sex animal pairs.[1][2][3] Various forms of this are found in every major geographic region and every major animal group. The sexual behavior of non-human animals takes many different forms, even within the same species, though homosexual behavior is best known from social species."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexual_behavior_in_animals

Stating an observed fact is not indoctrination, trying to tell children that homosexuality doesn't exist most definitely is and the reason that religion should have no role in educating small children.

I shìt you not PC, but if you wish to go for a third round, I’m gonna need a smoke break first! 😏

The answer is none of the above. Teachers are paid a salary from public funds to teach the national curriculum. They are not paid to teach the religious curriculum, and they are not paid for religious instruction.

I really think you’re misunderstanding the point in a bad way from the get-go. It’s really very simple - nobody was arguing that homosexuality does not exist. @Crooked Jack was arguing this -

Teaching kids only about heterosexuality is incorrect as it implies that homosexuality does not exist.

That is an opinion, it is not a fact. Same for the rest of it.

Teaching about sexuality and leaving out homosexuality is lying to children - its what you call indoctrination into a false world view - a world view where homosexuality doesn't exist.

We do not claim that humans are all men and deny the existence of women which would be a comparable lie.

That's being obtruse and you know it.

Teachers paid State funds to teach catholic dogma You can write ti any way you want, but that's whats happening.

It’s not being obtuse. It’s explaining to you that teachers are not paid State funds to teach catholic dogma, even if you want to put it in those terms. I’ve explained it to you in four different ways, four times now. Do you think it’s time to move on?

Respectfully, your post is every reason why I am an advocate of many different forms of education in the Irish education system. I do not share your opinions or world view, but I do not advocate that they should be suppressed either. I’m not interested in getting into the rights and wrongs of your opinions.

I support the fact that it is every parents or guardians right and responsibility to educate their children in accordance with their values, beliefs, world views, and it is an obligation of the State to support parents or guardians in the education of their own children.

Well they're not doing it for free and they're not being paid...! Yes, time to move on

• Advertisement

The state has no obligation to teach religion - that is the parents obligation. The state cannot restrict access to that education - but it has no obligation to provide it on the taxpayers Euro or as a substantial proportion of a childs educational time. There is also the obvious fact that what the Church would choose to teach children is incompatible with teaching them an objective fact based education - an education which would equip them to face objective reality.

You want the state to provide a service that parents and their chosen religion should be responsible for.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,040 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

The sooner it is gone the better. It was just a way of brainwashing and controlling people as well as taking money off poor hard working people that have been brainwashed by them.

Imagine the lovely Hospitals or schools or even houses that could be built where all the churches are. Every time I see a church I think what terrible wastes of space and ugly monstrositys they are.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I didn’t argue that the State has an obligation to teach religion, I’m aware that it doesn’t. I’m also aware that the State has no obligation to provide religious education. The State DOES however, have an obligation to provide for education, and to support parents in the education of their children, and to provide for education that meets children’s needs.

You’re in a very poor position to argue that the type of education anyone is provided with leaves them ill-equipped to face objective reality, when you appear to be struggling with the objective reality that people exist who do not share your opinions.

I don’t appreciate being told what I want by anyone. I’ve already said that what I want is for the State to uphold the rights of every child to an education which is suitable for their needs. You appear to be welded to the idea that you know better for my child than I do, and then you appear to struggle with the fact that it’s not your decision to make, because -

1 The State acknowledges that the primary and natural educator of the child is the Family and guarantees to respect the inalienable right and duty of parents to provide, according to their means, for the religious and moral, intellectual, physical and social education of their children.

2 Parents shall be free to provide this education in their homes or in private schools or in schools recognised or established by the State.

3     1° The State shall not oblige parents in violation of their conscience and lawful preference to send their children to schools established by the State, or to any particular type of school designated by the State.

2° The State shall, however, as guardian of the common good, require in view of actual conditions that the children receive a certain minimum education, moral, intellectual and social.

4 The State shall provide for free primary education and shall endeavour to supplement and give reasonable aid to private and corporate educational initiative, and, when the public good requires it, provide other educational facilities or institutions with due regard, however, for the rights of parents, especially in the matter of religious and moral formation.

https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/cons/en/html#article42

(Bold emphasis my own)

The parts of the constitution highlighted point to exactly what I said, the state is not required to provide religious education. If it considers it advantageous it can support others to offer education services. There is no requirement for this to be part of general curriculum. The church should be doing this on its own time and approaching the state for support to do so. The constitution doesn't support training for communion as part of general education.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,483 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Get over. They're not teaching for free. I think the infinitesimal hair you're splitting here, is that "they're teaching the national curriculum" which, for the periods in question, is religious instruction.

Even worse, they're prepping kids for confirmation, which is just a big party for them as was posted here earlier and how the thread arced into discussion of the role of the State in funding religious education. I wonder if the State funds bar mitzvah training in religious Hebrew schools too. I somehow doubt it...

Schrodinger's teachers - being both paid and not paid to teach religion at the same time...

There’s no hair splitting going on - they’re two separate curricula. There’s the national curriculum which is taught in all schools recognised by the State for which the school receives public funding, and there is the religious curriculum in religious ethos schools, which is the responsibility of the patron body, for which the school does not receive public funding -

https://www.curriculumonline.ie/Primary/Curriculum-Areas/Religious-Education/

For the period in question, during which children receive religious instruction, this is part of their duties as an employee of the school. The State, which is paying their salary, does not pay teachers for this activity. I’m not sure what the difficulty is here other than the assumption that somehow the teachers must be paid for work they are doing. You may want to hold onto your seat for this one - the members of the Board of Management of the school, are not paid for the work they do either. It is entirely voluntary.

This is one of the reasons Government are, shall we say, “reluctant” to establish more State schools (schools in which the Minister for Education is the patron) - because the management and staff in those schools are employees of the State, and are not working on a voluntary basis, and their salary is paid out of public funds.

There’s no need to doubt whether the State funds religious education, I’m telling you straight out it doesn’t, not in Catholic schools, not in Jewish school (there is only one in Ireland), not in Islamic schools (there are only two in Ireland).

Now if you really want to see some spectacular hair splitting, and, I’ll be honest, you’d need to be pretty spiteful to make the argument, one could argue that public funding was, up to 2013 at least, used to provide parents with funding for religious occasions. The State does not do this any more, thank goodness for Joan Burden… Burton, excuse me -

https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/commentanalysis/arid-20190210.html

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/thousands-of-families-hit-as-first-communion-grant-axed-29188705.html

Enda too, was always a miserable shìt, but it was something of a knee-jerk reaction to people’s condemnation of some parents behaviour who were not in need of the exceptional needs payment -

https://m.independent.ie/regionals/droghedaindependent/news/parents-defy-church-ban-on-limousines-27146164.html

For the Government to do what it did to struggling families, it was a popular decision that was as easy as taking candy from a baby, and it was done not out of any concern for the misuse of public funds, but simply because some people will go out of their way to be spiteful towards other people who they see as getting something they’re not.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭CrookedJack

Well, really I do mind. I'm not sure why you think it's helpful to answer for a poster when I'm clearly trying to get that poster to be more specific and direct about what they've said. I'm asking the poster to clarify something they've said. Unless you're that poster, what can you add, apart from your own interpretation?

But since you went to the effort to reply on his behalf I feel the need to correct a few of your, seemingly deliberate, misunderstandings.

There is no insistence about my beliefs being instilled in children. You don't know my beliefs, I haven't ever explained my beliefs in this area, I don't find them relevant to the debate. You mention my efforts to inculcate or indoctrinate, again this is not possible since all I've done was ask an individual poster to clarify their position. one I may well agree with, if they would ever have the courage to actually state it.

You also suggest I'm "making an end run around the constitution" which, apart from being a bizarre Americanisation, is a bit hysterical. Considering all I asked was for another poster to explain their confusing position I really can't see how that applies. Again I would say you really should not have inserted yourself into this exchange, since you clearly are having a completely different conversation.

Rather than quoting the multiple other posts you made referencing my exchange with this poster I might as well address those points here.

It is not an opinion to say homosexual people exists, this is a fact.

It is not an opinion to say that sex education that ignores homosexuality is implying that homosexuality does not exist. At least two posters here have drawn that inference so this is also a fact.

It is not an opinion to say implying that homosexuality does not exist in factually incorrect, since it does.

It might be argued that not providing accurate sex education to homosexual children around their own sexuality is not damaging, since there's a subjective quality to that word. If that is your argument I'd be interested in hearing it, because I can't really see a legitimate case for it not to be damaging. The case for educating heterosexual children about their sexuality is clear, so I can't see how the same would not apply to homosexuality.

Similarly you might argue that not educating heterosexual children about homosexuality is not "damage" per se, but I can't really see how, since as above homosexuality does exist. Therefore not understanding it on any level is disadvantageous. When education leaves a child at a disadvantage then it's hard to argue that that is not damaging to the child, but I'm open to hearing you try.

So as you can see I've inserted none of my beliefs into this. I make no comment on what the education should be. whether you think homosexuality is evil, or immoral, or wonderful there is no logical case to not include it in sex education. I've made some qualitative statements about the impact of not including homosexuality in the curriculum. That is not dogmatic to say - it's a logical inference from known facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It's almost as if you're not keen to be connected with some of the more bizarre policies of the church you are fervently defending - that masturbation is sinful, that gay sex is sinful, that use of contraception is sinful - how many of those devoted church parents that you're defending actually agree with and comply with those rules, do you reckon? Why would you think it makes any sense for the State to pay to indoctrinate other people's children on this nonsense?

Eh, what's your actual source for your confused claim that teachers stop being paid the moment they take out the religion book?

• Advertisement

"Eh, what's your actual source for your confused claim that teachers stop being paid the moment they take out the religion book?"

We would expect a teachers pay to drop in the run up to holy communion in that case since so many hours are devoted to the preparation. Alternatively if we were to assume it were spread out in some way - we would expect secular teachers in secular schools to be consistently on higher pay scales if they were been paid for time which would otherwise be free service to the church.

I suspect neither happens so what are we to conclude ? That the state pays for religious indoctrination ?

----------

To my mind none of this is insignificant. I know of no one who was raised a catholic who doesn't believe on some level in hell, a place of immense suffering burned into an impressionable mind at a stage at which they cannot resist (why do you think the church does it at this stage), a literal horror story. They are sufficiently indoctrinated that no matter how lapsed a catholic they are - they will all, to a man, seek absolution at the point of death just in case. That represent a lifetime of covert mind control and mental torture. An unspeakably immoral thing to inflict on a child without their consent and before they have the mental ability to resist.

Advertisement