Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I think in the video they mentioned 1600 Gpm pumps, doing some googling turned up a diesel pump with a 70HP engine

70HP is just over 50kW, and they might have mentioned 4 pumps, so over 200kW total?

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭discostu1

I live close enough to the MTU and in an area with a lot of business parks, and an increasing number of apartments.There are 2 charge points on the public road on the way into MTU and about 8 in one of the business parks. I think they range from 22kw to 7kw.The MTU ones I think are card operated for staff I assume the same for the business parks.So given the issues with chargers in apartments and these are all unused after roughly 6pm would it not make sense to allow apartment eCar owners to use them when they are effectively unused for 14 hours a day

Logistically yes, but it'll never happen to any great extent. The business parking is private and for staff and customers only. Allowing people in to charge at night would create a hassle for business owners, that they don't want.

What happens if the car is broken into during the night for example? Or if someone trips over while plugging the car in and injures themselves? Business owners don't want that kind of liability on their hands

Probably the closest I ever saw was a nearby Nissan dealership with a Chademo charger. The charger was near the gate and after hours you could park on the pavement and pull the cable over the fence to charge for free. Loads of Leafs and a few Tesla's used it, and the salesman told me it was fine when I bought my Leaf.

But if anything untoward happened then the dealership could say the people charging were trespassing and not using the charger correctly, so they'd dodge any liability

I hear what your saying 2 are on the public road the ones in the business park are actually just off a public road leading to the Curraheen walkway it’s 100 Metres from Boston scientific and the Park is never closed as a result. I dont know if this is just a Cork thing but there must be loads of under utilised chargers around the country that could, with certain rules be brought into service

It happens all over, for example in the business park where I (occasionally) work there's 4 paid chargers available for staff, but they don't get used outside of business hours because the park closes the gates and doesn't allow overnight parking

• Advertisement

But in the case of the ones I am talking about the gates don’t close and 2 on a public road.I just think where so many apartments are being built with so little charging available there must be a workable solution. Anyone any ideas ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭innrain

The solution is for the Local Councils/Authorities to get involved. They are the "heart" of the community and they are there to "serve" the community.

I've given many examples of over time of how LCs or LAs can educate a community. If one remembers Rodau as we used them for cheap Ionity rates (so subsidies) they also have a rental scheme where you can get an EV for 1 quid an hour. So people can try out and see if an EV is for them. Dublin LCs have gocar sanctioned with free parking anywhere in Dublin but did not asked them to run more EV on the streets not have provided chargers for the ones they have. Since the introduction of charges at ACs the number of EVs gocar has decreased which is just backwards.

Westminister has a page dedicated to EVs and EV chargers

so does Amsterdam and I don't want to touch the Norway

LC will come and say we are gearing for a better public transport and cycling which I do agree that are needed but why those cities like Amsterdamm and Vienna which already have a good public transport are still doing much more for the EVs than LCs here in Ireland? I do believe that rapid public transport (I really hope to live and the the Metro) is needed and cycling lanes are also necessary but I feel that the current policy is against the car at any costs. So while the LC should be your point of call I doubt you'd find much understanding there.

Here is an answer, although from 2018, by Dublin City Council at regard to your question:

You can se the level of push back is there. Very little has changed since.

Businesses are punished if they do what you suggest. Their rates and insurances are based on some opening hours and they may face some costly hikes.

Below is an interesting document that should inform you more about the subject, especially if you plan to contact your LA.

https://www.lgma.ie/en/publications/general-publications/local-authority-electrification-of-fleet-and-ev-charging-guidance.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I got asked a question in work the other day that I wasn't sure on the answer.

A colleague has spotted an EV that a independent dealer is selling. The EV was bought from a main dealer and had been registered as their test drive car. The independent dealer is now selling it.

Can the buyer claim the grant now? I told her no but she seems to think she can (or she's mixing up the charger grant). She also seems to think she'd be the first owner but would the dealers not be named owners?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

The car grant would already have been claimed when it was registered and can’t be claimed a second time for the same car.

The charge point grant can of course be claimed by the new owner. That’s tied to your MPRN and applies to new and second hand cars, so that’s fine.

If the dealer registered the car as a demo though they wouldn't have gotten the grant. I think that's where she was coming from and getting confused as she'd be the first individual owner.

• Advertisement

Being a demo wouldn’t matter. They’d still claim the grant at time of registration.

Ultimately the dealer claims the grant, not the owner, so whatever the net price the dealer is selling it for is what she’ll pay. She won’t be paying X and then claiming €5k from the government herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭eagerv

I think there is perhaps a bit of price gouging or perhaps just ignorance from independent and main dealers atm. Includes not including the grant even though it has obviously been claimed already..

But if the dealer registered the car themselves as a demo it'd be commercial purchase and no grant available?

No, demo is considered an exception. The dealers still claim/get the grant. They get slightly less than €5k but it will be still tagged as having already got the grant. Another grant won’t be claimed when it’s sold on.

That's where I was getting confused so. I thought a demo model couldn't claim the grant.

Seeing as Unkel is always banging on about his Fluence what are people's thoughts on this?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2012-renault-fluence-z-e-/31211216

Might have a lead on an Ioniq 5 73KW and considering selling my ID3 and the wife's Karoq to move into the larger family car and then have a small run around for my 2KM trip to work.

IIRC you'll need an outdoor socket as the Fluence only charges off a commando plug, not a Type 2

Other than that, assuming the battery is even remotely healthy it looks like a bargain. Almost cheaper than walking for that price

Oh didn't realise it needed an outdoor socket. Could have one installed easily enough and it'd really handy for the power washer as well.

Other opinion I'm looking at is €6-8K on an older Leaf but I'm probably spending far more than I need at that price.

I'll know tomorrow about the Ioniq and I potentially have a buyer already for the ID3. With only 10K km on it it should sell very quickly if they decide not to take it.

Yean there's a couple around where I live and I seem to remember seeing a commando socket plugged into the car. Not sure what the other end is, regular 3 pin plug or a commando plug, but adapters are cheap enough

I think you're right that for the local runabout you don't need anything special, so the Leaf is probably more than you need

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Nope, type 1 on both sides of the car weirdly enough

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Alkers

Says for parts on the add so there's an issue of some sort with it

You're right. I didn't notice that when I was looking earlier.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

The Fluence charges using a Type 1 cable.

it has a charge port on both sides but had no fast charging.

We have 2 of them in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Hardly 😂

It's just a Leaf that can't fast charge but it is much better looking. As Gumbo says, it charges off a type 1 charge point but you can get a type 1 to type 2 adapter (that's what I use). Be careful as the Fluence comes with a monthly lease payment to Renault, which is very expensive. Only a handful of them (like mine) have had the lease paid off so are now battery owned. You will want proof of this.

And you can forget about buying one for around the €2k mark without battery lease like I did last summer 😂

The ad has no descrption other than "For parts"!? 🤔

Is the car dead? That would be a red flag for you, if it is! 😂

Damn I was sure it was a commando plug going into the side of the car, I thought I'd recognise a type 1 from the Leaf 🤦‍♂️

Then again I haven't slept properly in a month, so not sure I'd trust anything I say at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 13,939 ✭✭✭✭josip

What kind of servicing costs are owners of 3/5 year old EVs experiencing?

I'm in the garage at the moment getting a minor service on a 7 year old diesel done so I'm thinking about a few years down the road when it's time to change.

Timing belt was done previously so thankfully that's off the list, but this time around it's oil, filters, 2 new front tyres and either an aircon regas or new compressor. Next service looks like there's going to be a lot more. CV joints, rear shocks, front pads and a pair of rear tyres.

While the belt, oil and pads won't be needed with an EV, the other suspension-related items presumably are. New EV owners won't have encountered those costs yet, but owners of 5 year old+ cars will I guess? Based on what I can see from the items on our own servicing costs now and previously, should I expect a 50% reduction in servicing costs with an EV over a 10 year lifetime? In reality, not in theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭wassie

1.5yrs and 50,000km in. Maintenance is more about safety checks and less about servicing:

• 4 new Tyres @ 40,000km (70% motorway driving. Aggressive regenerative settings braking also wears tyres slightly faster, 'robust' driving style). Rotated myself every 10,000km. Monitor tyre pressure (act on TPM warnings).
    • Brakes pads - 50% worn.
    • First annual service checks - Brakes (incl fluids) / Coolant fluids / Suspension / Steering / Gas struts / Air conditioning / Electrical systems & battery health.
    • Other DIY consumeables - Wipers / Cabin air filter

• Advertisement

Had a Leaf24 for 4 years now, bought 2nd had when 2 years old. There's about 65,000km on the clock now

No significant issues, here's a rundown of what happened beyond the basic servicing

• 5 new tyres after 1st year (€65 each), pretty sure it was on originals when I bought it and tread was worn down already so replaced all 4. The next day I got a screw in the sidewall of one of the new tyres so had to replace it again 😥
    • Changed the wipers myself after 2 years (not paying Nissan €75 for wiper blades)
    • Aircon got cleaned out with Ozone after 2nd year, would normally be €50 but Nissan forgot to charged me 😁
    • A small plastic cover bit fell off the rear wiper arm a few years ago, cost €25 to replace

That was on top of the regular service cost which is like €125 I think, varies a lot between dealerships

No issues with brakes, suspension, light, steering or motor. Battery health is 85% which is perfectly fine for 2nd car (main car is an ID.4)

I was also pleased to see that Nissan gave it a pass on the emissions check every time 🤣

I did have an incident of tactile parking with a concrete pillar which cost me around €450 to repair, but that's more bad parking tax than maintenance cost

Advertisement