Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭farmerval

My take is that a tight pitch would suit Cork less than most teams. A more realistic assessment of Waterford's difficulties this year may be around their difficulty with their own puck outs.

Here in Tipp we believed that Seamie Callanan always played better in Croke Park, he always seemed to find space easier to find there.

As a hard working swarming team you'd expect Waterford to perform well defensively in Walsh Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Wonder how many more changes to that named team for Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭JD. 60

This is my last comment for 2022 (unless we witness a near miracle on Sunday).

i don’t get the tight Walsh Park theory as an excuse for Waterford not performing. As Bill Shankly said of Tom Finney … he could play football in an overcoat. In other words, it shouldn’t matter where you play or on what surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Deiseen

The Semple dimensions are not correct. Tipperary GAA's own website has the width down as 80 metres!! You can literally go on Google Maps and measure it at 80 metres. It's about 90 metres wide from barrier to barrier alright, but that is not the width of the playing surface.

This is a frustrating myth that's been around for ages and it's disappointing to see RTÉ write an entire article on it based on incorrect dimensions of Semple.

Funnily enough, Cusack Park which was also deemed as a small pitch (once again due to perspective which is actually mentioned in that article) is actually as big as can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭decies

If they are up for it I can see Tipp beat cork we should beat a weakened Clare side . Up Tipp Sunday .

• Registered Users Posts: 38,317 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Surely a few more. Too many lads didn’t deliver on Sunday and if we have this strong panel we’re led to beleive there should me more lads chomping at the bit

weve gone from being blessed with options at fullback in prunty and Daly to resorting to Conor Gleeson who is a fine hurler but not a fullback imo,

also Shane Bennett is surely worth a start at this stage always impactful off the bench

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭JD. 60

Difficult to attend many club matches where I live ! I did manage to see Ballygunner win in Croke Park ….. you too ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Tommy Walsh on OTB the only pundit I’ve heard talk any sort of sense about Waterford this week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Bit of extra incentive for tipp to beat cork. Kerry got through to mcdonagh cup final today. If they win that they will play bottom place team in munster in a relegation match. Tipp need to beat cork to avoid being that team

Great to see Stephen Molumphy doing well.

Kerry similar to us in having to win and hoping other results go there way which they did. Hopefully a good omen with a Waterford man on the line

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Basically that Waterford drew with Dublin, barely beat Antrim, lost well to Kilkenny and everyone only judged them on their last two games which they won easily. So he was saying that nothing really happened and outside of limerick, every other game in Munster is a 50/50 game.

Its true that the pundits only look at the last game or two and base all their options heavily on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭razorronan

Hi All. I'm looking to sell 2 tickets (1 adult, 1 Juvenile) for the North Terrace in Ennis tomorrow if anyone is interested please PM me. Got the season ticket for me and the young lad but won't make tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭razorronan

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭spideyman92

Anthony Daly is the worst for it. Wouldn't see as much flip flopping in Tramore.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Ballyvoile Boy

Well done to Wexford on getting the win in Nowlan Park tonight. Massive for them. Kilkenny being beaten by 4 points in their own field takes a little bit of the sting out of last week's result for us in Walsh Park. Tough for Dublin to be finished so early, but it is so competitive in the round robin system. Westmeath having a good championship in fairness.

Best of luck to the Waterford hurlers tomorrow against Clare. There is an opportunity to put in a really good shift & restore the pride. If Tipperary can manage to beat or draw with Cork, our destiny will be in our own hands. All Waterford can do is give everything on the field to beat Clare & who knows but that Tipp might have a good day, seeing as they can also progress. There won't have been time for Waterford to work much on a puckout strategy, as that takes weeks of planning & practice. Just to be clear, while I have bemoaned the lack of a puckout strategy, it is in no way a criticism of the goalkeeper or even the outfield players. Shaun O' Brien has been very good for Waterford overall this year & a goalie is never responsible for coming up with a puckout strategy alone - that comes from management & primarily involves movement & timing from outfield players in well-rehearsed & varying patterns.

It would be great to have more Waterford matches to look forward to this year, so there will be many splitting their attention between the two matches tomorrow afternoon. Ennis here we come. Up the Déise!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 OverTheBarPOints

It’s Crazy to think the two Teams we ripped through in the League Semi Final Wexford & League Final Cork are probably going to go on in the Championship and us possibly gone by Sunday Evening. I hope I’m wrong and Tipp get a result against Cork and we Win. UpTheDeise.

Best of Luck to the Lads tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Would be grand if we just had to beat laois , Westmeath and Dublin to get to a provincial final, but alas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Charlie69

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭skaface

Hopefully restore pride in the jersey tomorrow and get a result against Clare and hope Tipp do us a big favour

Am hoping obviously results go our way today hearing a lot about restoring pride I expect us to handle Clare without much problem they will be already on to Munster final . I think the fall out and ramifications for not getting out of Munster are a lot more serous then a good performance ONLY today for Waterford . Up Waterford Up Tipp Sunday .

Tipp at full strength in thurles,will surely (hopefully) turn cork over....they have come on in leaps since the clare match,and if wex can beat kk in nowlan,tipp can handle cork

Just getting ready to leave for ennis,i doubt we will be as bad again,the last day was an example in poor decision making,and we let cork unsettle us with rough play at start.....serious lessons need learned after that,that team is too long on road to be letting pressure get to em..... and i dont want our last game this year to be in ennis,or a potential relegation playoff vs kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Can’t say I’m optimistic today and feel our championship will be over but I suppose I’m trying not to get any hopes up. I’d say one of the two results we need will come through but not both unfortunately. Could see us beating Clare having seen their side named. Leaving out Kelly, Conlon, Diarmuid Ryan and a few others would suggest they haven’t much interest and are firmly focusing on the Munster final. I get that they’ll have lads pushing for inclusion in the MF and indeed the AI series but our hunger and determination, with our championship hopes hanging in the balance, has to be reflected with a win. The lads will know a response from last week is demanded. I would go as far as saying that it would be bitterly disappointing to lose given what’s at stake for us vs them, as well as the calibre of players they’ve chosen to omit. Without Kelly in particular, our chances have been made that bit better so we can have no excuses.

Just feel Cork will blow our hopes though and get the win they need. We have to hope Tipp tear into them and that Cork don’t bring the momentum from last week but I think they will.

Safe travels to all going up to Ennis, as mentioned above hopefully today isn’t our last game of the year but I’m not holding my breath. Will more than gladly be proved wrong.

Sunday Times

There is a 21-second sequence early in last Sunday’s game where Austin Gleeson is reduced to a double espresso with a Red Bull chaser. Conor Lehane is about to shoot at the Waterford goal, 25 metres out, when Gleeson arrives from his blind side and makes a clean block; the ball breaks to Seamus Harnedy, ten yards away, and Gleeson keeps going, flattening the Cork player with a shoulder, then crouching over him while Harnedy lies prone on the grass, trying to get rid of the unpinned grenade.

The ball ping-pongs for a few seconds in a force field of bodies, before Cork recover it and Niall O’Leary, Gleeson’s chaperone for the afternoon, shapes for a shot at goal. Gleeson charges at the Cork defender, executes another perfectly timed block with his hurley, and makes a body-hit on O’Leary in the same movement. When the ball goes dead Brendan Cummins in the RTE commentary is in raptures.

“The difference between winning and losing in the modern game is what Austin Gleeson did there for his team,” Cummins said. “He’s playing at centre forward but he’s back in his own full back line. He turned a Cork lad upside down to get a block in, and got another block in to get the ball up the pitch. That is the level of work rate that every manager is looking for. Austin Gleeson provided huge leadership there for his team.”

About 50 minutes later, in the same neighbourhood of Walsh Park, Gleeson was sent off on a second yellow card after rolling around in a loveless embrace with Robert Downey. Repeated viewings of the replay from the high camera behind the goal seem to show that Gleeson initiated the clench. There was no violence involved, but it was impetuous and foolish — the referee no choice.

“It was always going to be dangerous when Austin got that first yellow card,” Cummins said in commentary. Everybody who has paid attention to Gleeson’s career would have grasped that sense of jeopardy. According to a local media tally it was the tenth time that Gleeson had been sent off in his adult career in competitive matches: six times for his club Mount Sion, three times for Waterford, and once for Waterford IT in the Fitzgibbon Cup. For such an outrageously talented and flamboyant player, it is a startling disciplinary profile.

ADVERTISEMENT

Throughout Gleeson’s career there has been tension between the angels and the devil in his game. Acknowledging that conflict was the starting point. One of the selectors on the Waterford minor team that won the 2013 All-Ireland remembers ringing Gleeson’s dad after the first round against Tipperary, when Gleeson had become entangled with a Tipp player; nothing terrible happened, but the interaction had been needless.

“If things went against him he could lose his mind a little bit,” the selector says. “He used to get embroiled in situations, and when he got distracted, his hurling suffered.”

For all of Gleeson’s coaches the challenge was to harness that spikiness and convert it into renewable energy. After Gleeson gave a mesmerising performance in the 2016 Munster semi-final — his Hurler of the Year season — the Waterford manager, Derek McGrath, said: “He’s at his best when he’s angry and bitter.”

In an interview a couple of weeks later, Gleeson elaborated on that. “It’s weird,” he said, “if I’m angry I always seem to play well and I don’t feel as tired. I’m trying to get myself angry for every day now, but I don’t want to go over the line of being angry and do something stupid. I need to keep it calm. Then raise it a bit.”

SPONSORED

Nobody wanted to purge the devil from his make-up for fear of what might be lost. It brings to mind something Aidan O’Brien once said about Kieren Fallon, when he was the stable jockey at Ballydoyle. “Part of what makes him so brilliant,” O’Brien said, “is that little bit of madness.” But what it meant, sometimes, was that Gleeson was walking a tightrope.

“He needs to be careful,” the former Clare captain Anthony Daly wrote in 2016. “Gleeson does live on the edge.” Four years later the former Kilkenny corner back Jackie Tyrell addressed the same theme: “His work rate looks to have gone up and he is bringing an edge to his tackling. He needs to control that side of things.” Daly and Tyrell both played for teams that traded in edginess; there was a skill in that too.

Gleeson has been lucky once in a while. He should have been sent off in the 2015 All-Ireland quarter final on a second yellow, and he should have sent off in the 2017 All-Ireland semi-final on a straight red, for yanking Luke Meade’s helmet clean off his head.

Two Waterford players had already been suspended for helmet or faceguard interference that year. And yet, in the heat of battle, he couldn’t stop himself. Having dodged that bullet, Gleeson scored one of the greatest goals ever seen in Croke Park. That afternoon was a perfect distillation of the wonder in him, and the weakness.

ADVERTISEMENT

Some of his dismissals have come in clusters. In 2020 he was sent off in a club championship match just a couple of minutes after the throw-in; Mount Sion over-turned the red card on appeal, but having been reprieved Gleeson was sent off again a week later, this time on a double yellow.

Had he not learned? The same thought must have been coursing through Liam Cahill’s mind last Sunday. After Gleeson was sent off in the League semi-final for a mindless, feathery jab of the hurley, Waterford decided not to appeal; striking with minimal force is an incredibly hard offence to over-turn, and the video evidence was conclusive.

Gleeson was outstanding in that match, just has he was last Sunday. When Cahill was asked to reflect on his latest sending off, he reached for diplomatic language first, and then he was blunt: “If it was warranted [the second yellow] it’s bitterly, bitterly disappointing. We’ll do our best to address it and try to fix it again, but it seems to be falling on deaf ears at this stage.”

Do other teams target the fault line in Gleeson’s temperament? It would be naive to assume otherwise. “Niall O’Leary and Austin Gleeson are having a running battle off the ball,” Cummins said in commentary, very early in the game last Sunday. “Austin is getting good treatment from Niall O’Leary – something he would have expected.” As it happened, three Cork players were booked for incidents involving Gleeson, though not O’Leary.

None of that stuff would be a surprise to Gleeson. For the guts of a decade he has been Waterford’s most talented player: mercurial, explosive, dazzling, vulnerable. Last Sunday, Cork couldn’t sto

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭spideyman92

"Repeated viewings of the replay from the high camera behind the goal seem to show that Gleeson initiated the clench."

After Downey kicked him with studs when they both went to ground at first. The camera footage I've seen never showed all of the moment because it panned off to follow the ball.

What's done is done but think it's unfair to say he started it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Did any of the analysts or pundits mention the antics of corks other ‘hit-man’ last Sunday ie no 20 Cahalane….in the first 20 mins he must have committed 10 yellow card offences off the ball starting with Stephen bennett, Gleeson got it also plus anyone who came within his radius….also Kingston on the line was acting the clown and got a yellow but subsequently end up encroaching on the pitch again…

who knows what today might bring but if they are to progress how likely is a semi final appearance…,dues anyone have any idea who plays who if ya finish 3rd in group…?

Advertisement