Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

I’d argue that purposefully choosing models/casting actors based on how they don’t typically fit into the role being cast ie: an overweight surfer, a gender fluid pole dancer dressed to be ambiguous. An advert for a fitness tracking device stretching into themes of love and romance featuring a lesbian couple, is a largely a marketing strategy and not much else.

The strategy being for your ad to ‘appear’ to be inclusive and your company a strong supporter of equal opportunities for the slice of the market that value these things. Because let’s be brutally honest, the company sole goal is to make CASH. The actual market for overweight surfers or male pole dancers for a Fitbit has to be minuscule. The ad isn’t for those people, it’s for the people who either genuinely care for inclusivity etc, and I’d argue even more so for people who ‘appear’ to care by sharing on social media and cheering the company on for being ‘brave’ or whatever the recent cheer may be.

Which is the other side of the marketing plan, those who find it ‘woke’ or whatnot will also share it, talk about it, comment etc. Ie: the reason it appeared in this thread imo.

The only market who the ad will actively detract would be those who genuinely are offended by it’s content. Bigots, transphobs etc who wouldn’t want to be associated with the brand. Which is what some here seem to think is the reason for being posted and talked about. So will call out what they think is hate and/or bigotry. Sometimes making connections that are not there.

Do I think the Fitbit ad is ‘woke’. Kind of... the stretch into love and romance especially was an obvious tick the box for representing a same sex couples, and a lot of the actors/models chosen seem to be included solely as a obvious marketing ploy/discussion point by trying to reach into as many hot topics as possible. So yeah, pretty woke. Smart marketing though.

Post edited by Danonino. on

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭therapist3

.a

It's because it's completely unrepresentative that it's woke.

It's because in an effort to show they're not discriminatory they manage to produce a completely false and discriminatory representation of society that it's woke bullshìt

Being inclusive also needs to be truthful otherwise it's just fake, intentionally unrepresentative woke bullshìt

• Registered Users Posts: 33,309 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Come on, you know it's not that specific. Stop being spurious.

Is it, though? I've seen plenty of overweight people in fitness commercials - especially the "before/after" photos. Men doings traditionally done by women? Is there such a thing? And why should they be ridiculed if they do?

--------

Back in the 50s, American tobacco companies started marketing cigarettes to woman as feminist tools. They called them 'freedom sticks'. If that happened now*, you lot world be screaming 'woke!' but there's no way they gave a **** about feminism.

Again - you've become just like the woke crowd you hate - and my advice is the: stop *trying* so hard to be upset about things and pin labels on things and focus on the examples that really do fit your outlook

And if you want to see woke parodied - proper woke, not this - go visit Titania Magrath's Twitter. THAT'S proper ridicule.

(Also, read some of the comments on 'her' posts - It's fantastic when people don't realise it's parody!)

Now, I'm going to take the posters advive and leave you all to dogpile someone else. One genuine woke every ten pages or so is not really enough to make this interesting.

Sorry for triggering your so, I'm out.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Absolutely exactly, in fitness commercials, not in real life

Which makes it an ideology, hence not real, fair or representative

Nobody is ridiculing anyone, they are opposing a ridiculously false depiction of society which insults those who realise it's bullshìt and insults the intelligence and integrity of those exceptionally small groups of people featured as if they predominate in society.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭AllForIt

*Checks date*

Nope, April was last month....

The naming of newly discovered species of worms is being criticized as they are disproportionately named in favour of eminent male scientist's.

Well that's just cus there aren't as many eminent female scientist's init.

Parasitic worms have been sucked into the gender bias row after a report claimed the naming of the creatures was sexist.

A team of scientists, led by parasitologist Robert Poulin, scoured studies in eight journals published between 2000 and 2020.

They mustn't have much for doin eh.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

1. It’s an advertisement. Expecting it to be representative of society is ridiculous. They’re aiming a brand, a lifestyle product, at a specific demographic which they hope to capture.
    2. Have you seen the “Fitbit Community”? I have, the advertisement isn’t actually unrepresentative of the audience it’s aiming at. It’s like LinkedIn, all based around self-promotion.
    3. Of course the advertisement is woke AF. That’s entirely the point. That’s the audience they’re aiming to capture.

I saw some people claiming that they were throwing out their FitBit and buying Apple now instead, because of this advert. That’s also virtue signalling. They have no more intention of throwing out their Fitbit than I do, even if they owned one in the first place to throw out.

(The €9/month sub for Premium IS a bit saucy though 😒)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,092 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

time to rewrite all the Yo Mamma so fat jokes

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭ingalway

I'm very surprised that they still use the transphobic term of breastfeeding. I thought the correct speech of the moment was "chestfeeding" so as not to cause trauma to those men who give birth who have such crippling body dysphoria that to call it breastfeeding would be a hate crime. It does baffle me though how these men managed to get pregnant in the first place? I assume a female penis entered a male vagina and the dysphoric man managed to gestate for 9 months then give birth? Scans must have been fun and trying to figure out what the baby may or may not be at birth must be delight for the medical staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Cordell

Course material encourages helping transgender women to induce breast milk 

In case you're thinking no, it can't be

The association has said emerging research suggests biological men can breastfeed

There's no coming back from this level of insanity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

What part of the male anatomy are they ‘milking’?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Cordell

TBH it's not even funny anymore. It's breastfeeding not milking - they are considering putting hungry infants to suck on the dry tits of the make pretend women so the latter can feel better about themselves. This is too much, even child abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭ingalway

An eye opening account on the misery of transition. I imagine there are many more like him.

I hope this shyyte never gets into Irish schools

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

A US based colleague has started using the term ‘Blocklist’ instead of ‘Blacklist’ when referring to a feature to blacklist software components to prevent the component running.

When I first saw it I assumed it was a typo but then he repeated it a few more times.

I was tempted to point out that the software in question doesn’t have a ‘Blocklist’ feature, but perhaps he meant the ‘Blacklist’ feature…

Ridiculous woke BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭AllForIt

The people who agree with this are the same people who say words evolve.

You're picking up on a split in the point. Wokeism is as discriminatory as traditional discrimination is. That's what riles people. It's not open minded or liberal, it's repressive.

The Fitbit ad is an example in ideology on it's way to destroying an entity in this case a fitness accessory that has no sex or politics because it is an inaniment object

They are advertising to a market 20 times smaller than the norm of people in society

The Woke community behave like the Catholic Church all fire, brimstone and demonisation if you voice an opinion that falls outside of their religion

• Registered Users Posts: 39,818 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Sexual harassment ? I mean the way we are going serious charges like sexual harassment will be diminished due to them being used too broadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,475 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Wasn't that case the bald man in England took against his work also classified under sexual harassment?

Because men are more likely to be bald than women, so you can't slag someone for being bald any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Nah I get what you’re saying alright, but calling it discriminatory is silly. It’s aiming a product at a certain section of society, and so what? That’s what marketing is - by it’s very nature it’s discriminatory and aiming at a market 20 times smaller than the norm of people in society, if you want to put it in those terms. What you’re doing is like the same idiots who claim that people having dating preferences is discriminatory. It is, and so what? I don’t think anyone needs to be open to dating anyone they’re not attracted to. Do you?

The whole premise of any advertisement is to sell people a product by convincing them their life will be so much better with this product. It’s not just about the devices themselves, it’s about all the upsells and add-ons and features that are only accessible by paying for a premium subscription. Premium subscription also gives access to the “Fitbit community”, which for the life of me I have no interest in whatsoever, the only premium feature I need is the sleep monitoring function. That’s right - in order to access what should be the most basic feature of any health and fitness monitoring device, you have to pay for the premium subscription, which also comes with its own deluge of useless value added crap.

I DO get the analogy of the woke community with religion though, it’s not far off, everyone competing to be more pious than everyone else, but y’know what? That’s WHY this thread exists, to poke fun at that sort of nonsense. They’re not threatening society in any way, and you’re certainly not the victim of discrimination because you don’t want to be a member of their community. As for the fire and brimstone stuff, I get that too, but that’s more a trait of evangelism than Catholicism. Even then you shouldn’t take evangelism so seriously, it exists in many different forms, like yer man Linehan that was woke up to the eyeballs before he fell foul of his own ideology and started a new Church with himself at the head of it. Andrew Klavan is just much funnier -

“It almost seems that every word these leftists speak is malignant horse manure, that they don’t even believe themselves… but just for a moment, stop thinking rationally, and try to see it from the leftist perspective”

That’s just quality 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 8,420 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Sixth year girl hounded out of her school in the UK for stating that sex is real

Edit, this was saved in draft and I can't seem to delete it

In 'un-woke' news, person under arrest says "gimme a lawyer, dawg" judge rules he wasn't clearly asking for a lawyer...

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Amenhotep

It's as much as a fact as saying the eucharist is the body of christ.

Thats exactly what this is - a new religion.

You say he is a woman because he "Feels" he is a woman.

Cult.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Amenhotep

I would say it's allready in educate together schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,771 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I propose from now on that all parasitic worms be named after women. 😁

The next step along the woke ladder...

New animal species should not be named after famous faces in case the celebrities are later 'cancelled', expert says

'One person's hero is another's villain and even celebrities that are widely acclaimed today can fall from grace tomorrow,' Professor Robert Poulin said 

In the 1930s, a blind cave beetle was named after Adolf Hitler, the Anophthalmus hitleri, but an attempt to have it renamed was rejected by the ICZN

Maybe they have a point...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

Honestly, this crap needs to lose prominence in the mainstream media and go back to its online echo chambers. I couldn't even finish the article as I had no idea what was really being discussed and actually stopped reading at the phrase "autogynephiles — a designation that describes men aroused by the thought of being female."

• Advertisement

and back to this...

some sense at last?

ATP Statement On Removal Of Ranking Points At 2022 Wimbledon

Press Release

The ability for players of any nationality to enter tournaments based on merit, and without discrimination, is fundamental to our Tour. The decision by Wimbledon to ban Russian and Belarusian players from competing in the UK this summer undermines this principle and the integrity of the ATP Ranking system. It is also inconsistent with our Rankings agreement. Absent a change in circumstances, it is with great regret and reluctance that we see no option but to remove ATP Ranking points from Wimbledon for 2022.

Our rules and agreements exist in order to protect the rights of players as a whole. Unilateral decisions of this nature, if unaddressed, set a damaging precedent for the rest of the Tour. Discrimination by individual tournaments is simply not viable on a Tour that operates in more than 30 countries.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement