Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welfare recipients can become landlords soon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 porkmaster

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

@Confused11811 where little for the majority of people on a welfare payment who can rent out their houses The majority of those welfare recipients who can rent a room will be pensioners on the defined contribution pension.

It's open to all not just retired pensioners

• Registered Users Posts: 48 porkmaster

It'll balance out when landlords become welfare recipients too.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Confused11811

@Gatling Most welfare recipients aren't going to in a position to rent a room in a house. Most either don't own one , are licensees themselves. Of those who do have a house rented they'll either have it rented from a private landlord in that case most landlords will have contracts that forbid subletting or they're renting from the Council or AHB. Those with rented houses be it HAP, RAS, AHB or council are more than likely going to have young kids and families so there won't to a spare room to rent.

You're making a mountain out of a molehill

Post edited by Confused11811 on

• Registered Users Posts: 18 bobbygoldstar

Am i right in saying that this scheme is open to homeowners who are in receipt of social welfare payments and not tenants on social welfare who are either renting a house/apartment from a private landlord or the council.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,232 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Like Pensioners, Carers, People with children, etc? Bit harsh, 😕

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I love the way people who criticise welfare recipients forget that there way a ****-load more welfare schemes than jobseekers.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭CrookedJack

Do not mix the inhabitants, keep them strictly segregated... we don't want to resort to social apartheid

Brilliant, so the solution is what, magic? Segregate but don't segregate? Genius!

😂

Im a welfare recipient. I receive carers allowance of 219 per week. It is a taxable means tested payment. I started off on carers benefit as I had to give up my job to take on this new “job”. My “job” will cease when the person I care for dies (or if I die before that, who knows). I am not entitled to claim fuel allowance as I do not reside with the person I care for.

I would hazard a guess that a good percentage of carers are homeowners. I own my own home and was only able to do so by being in full time employment.

In the current economic climate I would say that a very small minority of homeowners would be on Jobseeker’s Allowance as they have a mortgage to pay. They might be between jobs and get JB, but couldn’t see them staying unemployed for long.

So, who are the candidates that can avail of this scheme?

1. Pensioners
    2. Carers
    3. Disabled
    4. Long term unemployed

That’s who they are giving out about without thinking. Bundling them all in together!

i have a question.

If you can avail of up to 14k tax free if you have taxable income, can you also use the tax free part if on a social welfare allowance?

eg: I have 11,388 per annum carers allowance. I’m never paying tax on solely that income when tax credits are used. If I add in 14,000. Will I be taxed on the 25,388 or do I still have the tax free benefit?

• Advertisement

Yes. Your carers allowance is actually taxable income, it's just below the limits where tax is applied. if you were to earn 14K in room rental, your taxable income would still only be the 11,388 of your carers allowance, as the up to 14k room rental income can be considered non-taxable. However bear in mind if you go over the 14k by even 1 euro then the total amount becomes taxable - 11,388 + 14,001 = 25,389 as taxable income.

Cheers. I wasn’t sure. I won’t be renting a room out but was just wondering.

Could well suit somebody who is tied up all day every day looking after someone else for a pittance so had no way of earning extra income. Or a disabled person who can’t earn either.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

You seem to misunderstand the social welfare system. A number of the payments on the system are actually taxed.

Rental property in this country is rarely if ever assessed. How on earth do you propose assessing every single room thats rented in a shared house in this country?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

This is absurd. In the middle of a housing crisis you actually want to ban all property share rentals in the country.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

No. This is nothing to do with people in social housing. Its a small cohort of people who own their own home and receive a SW payment

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 10,770 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

The rent a room scheme means if the rent is under 14k its not taxed, most of the people who use this will be maybe people over 65 , they are just trying to increase the no of rental units on the market. The house owner will still need to send a form to the tax office declaring rental income . I see no problem here, it ll maybe be a few 100 people that use the scheme that are on welfare payments. We need every rental unit that we can get in the market. Single mothers on welfare are already allowed to earn extra income up to a certain amount per week

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I think you can only use this scheme if you own your own house , I don't see what this has to do with couples . And of course you will need at least one spare bedroom to rent out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

Yes we should build up, but not so we have a situation that causes social problems like Ballymun flats etc. High rise should also mean high quality, and size spec etc. written into law via building regulations. Min size per person occupying, utility rooms. basically no shoeboxes allowed.

Re the three categories of 30 story Blocks >Full time working in the vicinity, Lower income with state supports and the third with social welfare recipients only. Kept separate, good security for residents no mixing. Plus any anti social residents or families removed/put back on housing list if they view anti-social as a life choice.

It would be an interesting social experiment.

--------------------

Also its totally wrong that benefit lifers should get even more benefit top ups (>via renting out their free house) when the PAYE cohorts get practically no tax breaks/ allowances if they were to do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭busy bee 33

DB drivers should be starting on €52,000 per annum

• Advertisement

There is no mention of this only being available to homeowners .

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Well you're hardly going to be able to do it in a house that isn't yours?

It's for people who can rent a room in "their own home."

Clear as day.

Its "in their own home" - This is only for homeowners

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭PalLimerick

This would be ideal in a snobs World. In reality, won't happen. FWIW, I'm a PAYE, and self employed.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭PalLimerick

There is no such thing as a free house! Prove me wrong, state here where I would get a guaranteed free house? You can't. It's all waffle from bitter individuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

assumptions

1 - that these are all unemployed lazy spongers.

2 - That they will get 14k a year - That's laughable

Finally the government actually does something that will add lower price rental to the market in towns and cities all over the country.

The money goes to people on low income - everything from jobseekers, disabilty allowance and pensioners

But where there is a big win is that the money will most likely be spent and spent locally. That adds to vat, adds to local jobs, which in turn adds to tax. Circular economy.

But too many people just can't understand the concept. The probably prefer the giant landlords that only circulate money to their international well-off shareholders

Funny how sinn fein have been so silent on it and will probably remain silent. they never comment when a negative angle can't be found

• Registered Users Posts: 4,887 ✭✭✭jj880

If you want to look at it that way that's up to you but just so we are clear those are your assumptions.

I was pointing out 1 scenario based on ridiculous government policy that ignores the root cause of the housing crisis. The government's refusal to ban REITs, their refusal to build any housing and as an offshoot of that councils are buying up property making things even worse. The money is there as we can see from the pathetic developer handout now being touted for apartments. Instead we get this nonsense.

Social housing tenants are not currently allowed rent out a room.

That is not being changed under this scheme.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Exactly there's only mention of there being a change to the means test criteria to disregard 14k or room rental income.

One would need to have an agenda to decide that that mean that people in council houses can suddenly sub-let, or any one who previously was not allowed to rent now can.

Advertisement