Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion - 2024 All Ireland Hurling Champions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭supernova5

I think its looking more as though Mark Rogers is a long way from being match fit and likely won't be up to the pace of championship hurling this year

very poor from the minors, very inaccurate and being beaten all over the pitch

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭letowski

Minors are going desperately above in Athenry. By far and away their worst performance this year. I don’t know maybe they just needed a 3 week break or something after the Munster final just to refresh.

absolute horror show in Athenry, looked like boys against babies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Figerty

We'll see what team is fielded. If I were a sub for the last two weeks I'd be delighted to get a chance tomorrow. I'd prefer not to see Conlon playing tomorrow. It will be a better Limerick team on neutral ground in two weeks' time..we will need better performance.

• Advertisement

Minors need to just put that match behind them and manage to get a win versus Laois. They’ve proved that they are better than that today. But its going to be hard to lift them after such a poor performance, touch, handling, striking was miles off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

West Terrace they were 5 euro. Myself and another man said the prices were outrageous. They just shrugged

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

Only a short time since losing out in the Munster final by penalties. hard to get back up again, however, they are better than that but don't have anyone in the class of Niland. Galway took their puck out a strategy early on so that's something to fix and probably led to an 8 points to 1 scoreline early.

Work to be done, but at least they are getting good matches at this age.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Regardless of how their year pans out we will get great players off this team in years to come

I imagine they are still devastated from the Munster final ,

Working late tonight , watching back the cork v Waterford game from last week

Waterford look very flat almost like a team that has just ran out of steam , cork hurled well they played very well against us in the second half in thurles and got no credit for it

If Waterford come to Ennis that flat we won't need to bring on Kelly or conlon , they look a shadow of the league final

• Advertisement

why would they have to bring on TK or Conlon anyway regardless of how the match is going.. its a bloody nothing game for Clare

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

SoD has had a season off, the more game time he gets the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭razorronan

Hi All. I have 2 spare tickets (1 adult, 1 Juvenile) for the North Terrace today in case anyone is still looking. Please PM me if interested.

momentum , you cant afford to lose it , we didnt just become that much better then waterford over night , or cork or tipperary , we found ourselves in a better head space against each opponent and capitalized on it , we finshed top of the group unbeaten , if we lost today we would be heading into a munster final with no win in two games , this was far from a nothing game the whole thing can unravel very quickly if noy managed properly

which is why we are where we are at the moment

hard to understand Waterford today. Way of the pace, no one even booked and not even a hurley broken. Hard to know where we stand with some performances.

that sequence of results last week screwed them, all they had to do was beat cork and they were coming up here playing for a spot in the munster final , then we managed a draw which all but eliminated them , they showed as a team eliminated today ,

there is nothing we can do about that , we created 50 plus scoring chances we scored 34 we out worked the opposition as required under lohan , if we want to know where we stand we must drastically improve in the inside line against limerick , work equally as hard as last week and stop short hand passing to a player in a central position as that's the area limerick swarm , especially in the half back line and middle 3rd as they normally punish the opposition with a turnover and a score

there is very little to be taken form today

Ya, today was a shadow of a game but great to see Reidy etc getting more game time.

Limerick will be a different prospect but at least we are going into the game with the heads up.

never has there been a want for a munster in the last 25 years like this year , but if we dont achieve it i imagine we will still have a big say in the all Ireland series

Hard to really know what to think of the win today, given how poor Waterford were. Just a quick peep over on their thread, I can understand why they're upset about their teams performance. They came to Ennis with no fight or workrate. That said we got a comprehensive win with no injuries so it was the ideal afternoon for us.

I don't have much takeaways from today. I think Golden will start in the Munster final, I think Lohan will like another physical presence between the 40s, though for me Taylor plays his best hurling at midfield. The other position up for grabs is the corner forward spot, I taught Galvin didn't really take his opportunity as the starter today. Mounsey and Meehan looked more lively. Be interesting to see who Lohan picks there in the Munster final.

Duggan, Fitzgerald and O'Donnell were all superb. All three have been massive additions to our forward line this year and have really given Kelly support up front. O'Donnell is one of the most stylish hurlers on the scene at the moment, its like he glides around the field with his first touch and movement. It's great to see Fitzgerald delivering on his undoubted talent too. He always had this ability.

Looking forward now to the Munster final. I think we can put it up to Limerick if we keep improving the way were going.

The takeaways i have are the likes of adam hogan , cian nolan , shane meehan ,robyan mounsey darragh lohan and mark rogers to return and his club to improve as he gets older crotty , lohan has done some job with this group of young players 5 of which featured today is huge

as regards limerick , i wouldn't go with shane golden i would stick with the midfield from last week they over powered o'donohue and o'donovan ,if lynch starts stick malone on him he will keep him quiet

but our inside forward line need to improve , even today they shot some amount of wides especially Duggan

• Advertisement

Yeah it was nice to see them get their opportunities. I like the cut of Nolan, strong physical lad, ok made a situational mistake for the first goal but he'll learn. I think he could develop as full back cover for Cleary in the future. Very cool to see Adam Hogan out there, very few players play both Harty Cup and senior intercounty the same year.

Wrt midfield, I don't think Jason Mc will start versus Limerick. I didn't think he went well before being subbed at half time and he wasn't even on the 26 today. Unless you mean going with the original Taylor/Malone midfield from the first 2 games? That's our best midfield imo, but I still think Lohan will want another bigger body between the 40s. There is competition for the corner forward spot between Galvin, Mounsey and Meehan, but I don't think he starts 2 of them as they are smaller/lighter lads. So I think Lohan goes Malone, Golden, Taylor, SOD, Fitz, Kelly, Duggan and (I'd say) Galvin as 8-15.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Footballers have drawn a home tie v Meath.

Obviously all teams left are Div 1 or 2, so no easy games. But happy with a home draw !

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭CornerForward10286

would anyone give clare a realistic chance in munster final v Limerick?

Yes, I mean why not?

We have drawn with them in both league and championship now.

It's not like we're a million miles away from them, and Limerick are (probably) missing Cian Lynch.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭CornerForward10286

how many first choice limerick players were missing v clare in round Robin game in Ennis?

Lynch and Gillane I think ?

Clare were only missing Galvin.

Limerick will be favorites, but it's hardly a formality for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Clare have a great chance for the Munster final and All-Ireland. Yes, Limerick are rightly faves. Galway, Cork, Kilkenny, or Wexford could ignite yet. But Clare are on the crest of a wave now. They must believe. Whatever happens in the Munster final, win or lose, they must hold the head and keep believing.

Yes, no doubt Limerick are rightly favourites, they have a better team than. If they perform to their best, or close to their best, they will win.

But Clare have really been humming in this year's championship and are coming in with great form, momentum and feel-good factor among the supporters. Ennis was lit around town again yesterday. Very few would have predicted at the start of the season Clare winning the Munster round robin. A great sign is that the performances have been improving each week and if we can make another step up in 2 weeks, we could definitely be competitive against Limerick.

I think the main thing from our last Limerick game is how Clare were able to meet the physical challenge Limerick posed for the full 70 minutes. They will have Gillane and O'Donovan in from the start, but probably not Lynch it seems(?). I think dealing with Gillane is going to be key, we saw Hayes hitting a few routine wides the last day Gillane won't miss. Assuming Hayes plays out the field, Cleary will mark Gillane in 2 weeks, that matchup will be crucial to the outcome of the game imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Clare have a chance, but Limerick have to be favourites. Despite being down to 14 and playing in Ennis they still got a draw in the round robin, so undoubtedly they are hot favourites, but Clare definitely have a chance.

You never see it coming, but sometimes a team that has already won an awful lot mightn't have the hunger or desire in the last few minutes if things are tight. I don't know if Limerick are in that bracket, but to me they don't look as fearsome as they did last year or even in the first round against Cork.

Sure Limerick were missing a few in Ennis, but so were Clare. Reidy looked good yesterday, he's a great option to have back. Galvin is also back, so Clare are definitely in a stronger place for the rematch also.

Limerick have been an awesome team for the last four years, but the gap is closing I think. It's also the best Clare have been since at least 2018. Given that Clare couldn't beat Limerick at home, Limerick have to be favourites, but that was still an encouraging day for the Banner and the panel will certainly be stronger the next day.

Clare handled the Waterford game brilliantly, gave lads who need hurling a run out as well as a couple of younger guys, gave a break to a couple of the more experienced lads, and still won the game at their ease.

I give Limerick about a 66% chance of winning, it's probably what will happen, but by no means is it a foregone conclusion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭cnoc

😁😁😁

Advertisement