Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cable size

Options
2»

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭hayse

My last post was based on a post you have edited you composed 2011. It’s difficult to have a discussion if you are changing your posts.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The OP’s electrician has seen this and has concluded that an MCB with a 20A rating is suitable. I would think that he/ she is best placed to make that call.

A minimum of 50A is based on absolutely nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

There's only 1 operator

You don't need to double the capacity when you add an appliance or a machine here as it's only a domestic shed

There probably isn't 50amp spare capacity for the shed anyway because the house is already part of the load on a likely 12kva ESBN supply

You seem to be a bluffer anyway making up numbers and arguments

Live in the real world now, you have to allow for expansion, winter time the op may introduce a heater, a kettle may be brought. He might have someone who wants to use their own tools if they are working on a project together.

50 amps may be over the top but they would want 40 anyway.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The real world is none of us have seen this therefore we only have the OP's information to guide us:

1) The OP described the load as "A couple of socket outlets. Light and Small Tools only. Max 15amp. Haven’t installed the cb yet."

2) The OP's electrican has slected a protective device rated at 20A.

3) This has been described as a "garage/shed" by the OP, not a commercail workshop where people bring their own tools.

If this is a 50A laod as you have advised then it requries a dedicated supply from the ESB. I suspect that this is nto a road that the OP wants to go down.

• Advertisement

You’re right.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 DonalOF

Thanks everyone for comments. Time to let it go now. Going with my Electrician’s recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

I know you're both a logician and a mathematician as you claim so I respect that

You do know you don't add up the appliances to get the power requirement ya ? Especially as it's just a domestic shed with 1 user, not to mention the additional cost of 100m of cabling and the fact that this 40-50amp of capacity may not even exist at the supply end

Kirk you are correct I’m wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 DonalOF

My first time posting on Boards.ie😂

• Advertisement

The OP’s question has been answered and the OP has taken the sensible approach of hiring a Registered Electrical Contractor.

Everyone that has contributed is on the same page now.

I think we can leave it at that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement