Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Everyone knows how great JVDF is - except those handing out central contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I don't think any of the Leinster players up for Euro player of the year are on a central contract. I don't know what even distinguishes a central contract these days, I hope he gets paid what he's worth (a lot) no matter what sort of contract he's on.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It kind of looks like before/after picture for some makeover show

• Registered Users Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭OldRio

I hope to hell we find another number 10 because Carbery is not the answer. He was dreadful yesterday. Not poor or off form but dreadful.

I thought he was so poor also. Created basically nothing, made some really poor errors, defence still not up to snuff at all. Looks like the Irish coaches have committed to him but for Leinster I'd take Ross Byrne ever single day of the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Harry Byrne was great

So we're all agreed every Munster player from last night is off the summer tour?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

He was good. I wouldn't say great. Difficult to see him getting enough minutes between now and the end of the season to play himself into contention for NZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I haven't seen the match, but from an Ireland perspective, I hope he achieves his potential and ceiling. We're fucked if the Graham Henry selection is our out half at the world cup. We need as many young lads as possible fighting to get minutes at their province. Time is running low and Sexton surely can't continue this level of form.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭OldRio

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

How do you keep getting 'fucked' past the... thing. What do you call it? Maybe it doesn't pick it up if it has the 'ed' on the end. ****, ****, ****, fuckity ****.

I think Sexton is nailed on at 10 till at least 2031.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Sexton is nailed on until there is a better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

As long as Carbery is doing what Farrell and Catt want of him, his performances for Munster aren't really relevant, especially in the absence of a strong alternative as second choice

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I think Molony will be traveling to N.Z. this summer. He's been the form lock in Ireland and is surely ahead of everyone except the top 3.

I reckon Timoney claimed his ticket on Friday. He's a superb player and offers so much around the park. I get that Kendellen has been very good, as has Penney but, Timoney is capped and knows the systems.

Timoney has been claiming his ticket since long before last Friday. He's been outstanding all season and in my opinion, the most underrated player in Ireland. VDF has been brilliant, but if Timoney got a chance for Ireland I reckon he'd do nearly as good a job. He should have seen minutes in the 6N.

As good as Molony has been, I think he might miss out. Farrell likes guys who are athletes as well as ball players. O'Toole and Bealham getting picked over Moore is a good example of this. Molony has the skills, but he's not as big or athletic as Baird, Ahern or McCarthy, who are all also considerably younger. I think Farrell will see it as more productive to give those lads minutes in the Maori games rather than Molony who, as good as he's been, it's difficult to see him mixing it up physically with a South African or French pack.

Post edited by TRC10 on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,708 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Did you see the Leinster v Toulouse game

Molony was outstanding ball in hand. He very much can play ball

You phrased it as though his inability to play ball would cost him but then went on to describe his lack of athleticism and size as limiting factors.

• Advertisement

Then you phrased it as though Moloney is not an athlete?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Yeah that's exactly how it read to me as well.

Rephrased it as people seemed to be confused as to what I was saying

Of course Molony is a good ball player, I was never suggesting he wasn't

I wonder whether we'll see promising Munster-developed players making the breakthrough to become Ireland regulars over the next few years. They don't have too many at the moment, and Earls (34), Murray (33) and O'Mahony (32) aren't getting any younger. They have Beirne and Conway (both 30), who were developed at the Scarlets and Leinster, respectively. There aren't too many others. Kilcoyne makes squads, I suppose, but he's also over 30. There's no reason Beirne can't stay at the top for years to come. Locks can keep going longer and he doesn't have too many miles on the clock. But the rest of those players are going to be finishing up in a few seasons. As it is you could name a pretty good squad for this upcoming tour without any Munster players in it:

LH: Andrew Porter, Cian Healy, Andrew Warwick, Edward Byrne

H: Ronan Kelleher, Dan Sheehan, Rob Herring

TH: Tadhg Furlong, Finlay Bealham, Tom O'Toole

SR: James Ryan, Iain Henderson, Ryan Baird, Joe McCarthy, Ross Molony, Kieran Treadwell

BS: Caelan Doris, Josh Murphy

No. 8: Jack Conan, Max Deegan

SH: Jamison Gibson-Park, Caolin Blade, Nathan Doak

OH: Jonathan Sexton, Ross Byrne, Harry Byrne

LW: James Lowe, Mack Hansen

IC: Robbie Henshaw, Fua Leiofi Bundellu Aki, Ciarán Frawley

OC: Garry Ringrose, James Hume

RW: Robert Baloucoune, Jordan Larmour

FB: Hugo Keenan, Michael Lowry, Jimmy O'Brien

Will Munster bring through a good number of J. Wycherley, Ahern, Kendellen, Coombes, Casey, Healy, Crowley and Campbell to the level where they're first XXIII regulars for the international team? Coombes and especially Casey aren't too far away as it is.

Leinster's development into a European powerhouse with a lot of high quality homegrown players has hurt Munster in the international selection stakes. It is a zero sum game, after all. If one player gets selected to start it automatically means the second choice isn't getting as much exposure. We hear about Munster's 'international pack' of the noughties, but how many caps would Horan and Hayes have got if they'd been competing with Healy/Porter and Furlong, respectively? And then obviously if they weren't getting as much international exposure, they wouldn't be as good players. We've seen the difference playing at international level can make with the improvements Gibson-Park has made.

I suppose we'll see over the next two seasons how good the new Munster coaching ticket will be at developing this cohort of emerging players, but you could probably make an argument that some of them might be better off if they were encouraged to move to Leinster. We see Jenkins making the switch for next season, but would it be better for Ireland and the player himself if it was Ahern instead? Getting exposure to Lancaster's coaching could make him a better player faster.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Taking this at face value...

...but you could probably make an argument that some of them might be better off if they were encouraged to move to Leinster.

Why? After all...

It is a zero sum game, after all. If one player gets selected to start it automatically means the second choice isn't getting as much exposure.

You've literally defeated your own argument within a paragraph.

Great point here. At some point on this tour away to NZ we're going to be fielding a half back pairing who compared very unfavourably to Cormac Foley and Harry Byrne. They might even start a test.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭irelandrover

They have Beirne and Conway (both 30), who were developed at the Scarlets and Leinster, respectively

So Beirne who moved in 2016 was developed by scarlets but Conway who moved in 2013 was not developed by Munster. Seems a fair analysis.

You could make a good squad with players from any province that isn't called Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Ah I think if you put Murray and Carbery in blue they'd have looked a lot better. Munster just have a terrible coach and no real shape.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,596 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

agreed, good coaching brings out the best in players. Casey / Murray / Carbery will play better in green than red.

Hopefully Prendergast shares the attacking philosophies of Farrell, and nothing ive seen of racing over the last 3 years would make me think otherwise. Having Rowntree at Munster, Lancaster at Leinster and Farrell at Ireland will be great for continuity of ideas at a national level.

Advertisement