Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

congratulations to kilkenny no complaints from limerick better team won very disappointed with our performance thought we'd win this to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Charlie69

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭_NAGDEFY

Maybe you should forget about covid at this stage. And maybe forget about trying to be funny too.

I know it's a truism but the Limerick chaps are young. They'll learn from it and some will go on to be fine Limerick senior players.

Very enjoyable game.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭CornerForward10286

I think this is the problem. players thought it 2. most thought limerick would win with bit 2 spare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭dzer2

Some difference in refereeing today compared to last night. Also a good half to do video analysis for our backs on ball retention and working through the lines

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Pigeon Chaser

Its a valid question to be fair. Clearly it was very controversial.

Well done to the u20s .. A badly needed boost to the county after yesterday's horror show. They were just fantastic. Tactically excellent, great determination and despite the controversy, thoroughly deserving of their win.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Topcat32

The under 20s have given a huge boost but the main thing for me is how a group of Kilkenny players have come back from some serious disappointments, some losing 2 minor all Ireland finals to both win and play really good hurling against a good team in an all Ireland final

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭blackcard

So, a loss against Galway would have us playing Cork. A win would have us playing Lk/Clare/Wx. Definite outsiders in either match

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Tallis is a good goalie he knows when to slow down the game when to give long or short not like the senior keeper just get rid of it out of my area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Avoiding Cork would be good for this Kilkenny team. I can see them beating Galway as Galway won't play a sweeper and it ll be abit of a tactics free day. They won't beat Cork though.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Outside 2nd tier counties we have only beaten Dublin (are they even Tier 1?) and Waterford all year. Losses to Tipp, Cork, Galway and Wexford.

Our appearance in a Leinster final on that sort of formline is embarrassing tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Ah, as a Limerick fan i would put nothing at all into that point/non-point. It's swings and roundabouts.

Overall the better team on the day won. If played again tomorrow we couldn't call the result.

I called it all along as a 50/50 game.

Well done KK.

That U20 win will do Cody no harm. 3 men in their late 30s and 40s winning an All Ireland with a team using the ball well.

He nearly has his credit used for past glories. He needs a strong remainder of the championship. There are plenty of Kilkenny men who can manage the seniors. No one man is bigger than the county.

If the seniors go out with a whimper the County Board will have to make the biggest call, probably ever in Kilkenny hurling, and say Brian, you have done more for Kilkenny hurling than any man but it's time for change. Not being ageist or anything but the style of play the senior team plays under you is no longer adequate to win the bigger games.

Fair play.

That it, a free given here or there. They tend to balance out. If it was the winning score I could understand a Limerick objection.

Good for Limerick to be producing talent for senior backup. Some fine hurlers there today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Comerman

Heard Padraig was told 5 minutes before throw in that he wasn't starting, to me that's just mind fuckin with players by Cody and doing the county fuckall good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,242 ✭✭✭Gusser09

It would be an end of an era if Cody were to go and you'd like it to be his decision. I think hes tick enough though and might have to be pushed.

Like the thing about it last night was Wexford should have won handy but for dreadful shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

I heard it at 3 o clock in town so I doubt this to be honest I heard him and donnelly were out and wally and phelan in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Comerman

I bow to your knowledge 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

looks like it wasn't a pint I know there was only a pint in it in the end but these decisions go for you sometimes but not for us today.

yes some fine players for the future for both sides the limerick lads will be feeling it tonight but sometimes that can work in your favour in the long run, kilkenny beat us in minor final in 14 a fair few of that beaten team went on to do and still are doing good things to date

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭kk.man

Could Billy Drennan join the senior set up now ?

He's a handy player and we could do with one ore two of them u 20s.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭SophieLockhart

I don't see the connection between this incident and a free given here or there. This required an actual intervention by an umpire, which he should only do if he's 100% certain, which he could not have been. Frees given are a matter of opinion, in the flow of a game, where certainty is not possible, but in this case if it's 99% certain it's over the bar, he still doesn't make the call. A different level of mistake.

True enough that KK deserved to win (and I think the Limk management has not got the best out of this team tbh) but only 18 pts were scored and 19 were counted. That's all that should matter, deserved doesn't come into it. Not that there's going to be a replay, but it will be the main talking point when the matched is recalled, like the '19 semi. And this is more blatant imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,868 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

That's bollocks to be honest. Everyone remembers the mistake on that point, and everyone seems to forget that a few minutes later kk stuck a point over the bar and the same umpire waved it wide, quite obviously looking to balance out his earlier mistake. Tg4 bringing it up over and over again and nobody mentioned this obvious mistake the other way only a minute or two later.

Fair play to the Lim fans who have come on this thread and not made it about that decision, we were marginally the better team in a fantastic match. Plenty of lads from both those teams today with bright futures ahead. Drennan, Langton and Timmy Clifford the stand out performers for us. More importantly, a kk team playing smart ball even when the pressure was on and the game was tight, well coached all through. And it turns out the phenomenal work rate actually can be maintained while playing intelligently.

Lyng made a very strong case for being our next senior manager. It was a great win and fantastic for the whole county to see us winning an all Ireland again, I enjoyed it hugely, don't think I had realised how long it has been until the final whistle went!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭ttowncat

No. 14 Gearoid Dunne's shot in the 20th minute was a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

But you do see the connection between that point given to Kilkenny and the one that wasn't given I take it?

If you are competing you have to play them all.

That was a kilkenny line ball in 2019 it was given to Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Exactly. But just like the point not given to Kilkenny yesterday, the media, and others, chose to ignore that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭usualstripes

I know the hype around Cody and Shefflin will be turned up before Saturday week and Cody was asked in his post match interview re meeting Henry again and all he said is we're playing Galway. He's correct of course to analyse it this way but what happened between himself and Henry?

Is it just that Henry was supposed to have been offered a selectors role with Cody and he turned them down?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Village87

Richie Reid and Paddy Deegan again showed they are not good enough to get Kilkenny to the next level. Richie Reid is miles off the pace and physicality required. Paddy Deegan hurling skills are very basic, constantly getting turned over in possession and both players very poor in possession, hitting the ball long under pressure to Wexford players. Deegan was poor for the goal, Foley took it down from a high ball and burned Deegan for pace.

Advertisement