Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I've been critical enough of Gleeson in the past regarding his temperament but he was in no way at fault for the sending off. Still annoyed with what Cork got away with but what's done is done.

Hopefully the Cork Tipp game can take on a life of its own today with Tipp getting a win.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Cake Man

If we somehow manage to get third place I think we’d face the winners of Antrim/Kerry in a provisional quarter final, then it’s the Leinster runners up in a QF and that side of the draw meets the Munster champions in an AI semi final.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,317 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Best of luck to the players and management today. Safe travels to all those attending the game

Feels horrible saying this but Up Tipp too

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Ballyvoile Boy

It wasn't an anti-Kilkenny thing. It is just that sometimes teams can get beaten in their own field & to have perspective on that. Hopefully Waterford can raise the game today to beat Clare, although I am nervous. The team named looks fairly good & any player that had an off day the last day is unlikely to be the same this week. Stephen Bennett will be key, as I reckon he will give a big performance, as a top top hurler. The other two Bennetts could be massive today if used also, as this is the time of year when their experience would be vital. We already know what Austin Gleeson & Patrick Curran bring in the half forward line (after much pub analysis over the years about Austin at centre back) & in fairness, they both worked their socks off fruitfully against Cork, as did Jack Prendergast for most of it. I expect some sort of tweaking on the full back line due to the loss of the captain, but I worry that the management will overreact to the forced change at FB & make changes all over the field. I guess if it works, they are geniuses & if they get it wrong, the players were at fault. Michael Duignan might have done a Boris Johnson on it & have two articles written already, one praising the management for a great win & another highlighting the flakiness of Waterford players as the reason for losing. 😂

Anyway, today is the day. Getting low ball into Dessie Hutchinson will be vital, so hopefully the midfield will be dominating possession & seeking him out. Winning our own puckouts will be vital too, so hopefully the management have tried to address that in some way with the limited time available. These players did not become bad players overnight, so if the management get the tactics & selection right & if Tipp have a good day, we could be still hurling in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭thesultan

Hearing a lot of change. Bennett dropped

.mahoney centre.gleeson centre back.

Tadhg full back. Barron corner forward. Mark fitz in..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Charlie69

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

Mark Fitzgerald looks set to make Waterford debut with Peter Hogan, Neil Montgomery and Pauric Mahony also late changes to Starting XV 

Come on Waterford, bring pride back to the jersey

Tipp please please please help us

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Mind boggling changes at this stage

Terrible performance so far from us

TDB off injured yet again up in that bloody place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭decies

Wake up Waterford Jesus

• Registered Users Posts: 9,759 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Playing like this Waterford would be crucified in the knockout stages.

Maybe getting knocked out is better for us

Terrible performance from us here, on par with the **** we played in the 2018/2019 championships

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭loves_me_county_boy

what the f**k is going on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

12 points down and Tipp 9 points down too. It would take the moving statue in Mellerary to get us through this. Seems like there's some disconnect between the League and the Championship

Second best team my hole

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Seriously, what’s going on? Was there melt down in the camp midweek? Why would you tear the team asunder like this in the last and most important game (I know the score in thurles makes it meaningless but still)

WTF is after happening to us, this is dreadful and questions need to be asked

Cork winning well so its game over today, my thoughts with all those who travelled up to Ennis

Second best team my hole

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Worst part of the day so far was the announcement that there is no exit from the grounds at half time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

This is just really sad, I don't know what to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Denny61

Jesus from a tipp point of view..ye are diabolical.....think it went to yer heads..All talk about second best team lol lol.

@Denny61 What are you laughing at ye clown your getting hopped off by cork aswel 😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Looks like players have downed tools and aren't playing for management. Jamie barron has had injuries but he looks like a guy that is coming near the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bannercat

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭CornerForward10286

out like a damp squib waterford are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Don't think tipp are in a position to be chirping but the league didn't do Waterford any favours. You had spoofers like Derek mcgrath blowing them up. Things have fell apart badly in the last few weeks. This is a shocking performance today from Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Ballyvoile Boy

I feared for us & how the management might make some bizarre changes today (as above), but this is beyond anything I've ever seen. Why would anyone do that to their own team? Completely undermine them in a crucial match & still no puckout strategy from management at all. Has he lost the dressing room or what is going on? Totally unfair to throw young Fitzgerald into that, even though he is trying his heart out & he is & will be a class hurler for Waterford. Reminds me of the Munster Final in 2011 when Davy experimented with the FB line on a big day.

Need to get Shane Bennett on & try to turn this around. Calum to CB, Austin to HF line, Jack P to MF, Shane B for Monty, Darragh Lyons for Mahony, Carthach Daly for Fitzgerald. Fair play to Shaun O' Brien & everyone who is giving what they can in the middle of positional chaos. I don't even care about the other result, we need to try to win this game. The next manager needs to have some sort tactical acumen & a willingness to share the blame with the players, although I am suprised that Beavens went along with gutting the team like that - he is a top class coach. At some stage management have got to face up to their own role in their own downfall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Absolutely desperate stuff from us in first half

Advertisement