Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭decies

Jesus forget about mcgrath we are not blaming him for this shambles what the hell was Cahill doing with them since limerick game .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

In fairness not many said otherwise other than Tipp getting whipped.

Waterford were well fancied today vs Clare.

What's happening here is unbelievable

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Gluteus_Maximus

Sickening stuff. How did it all go so wrong so fast?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

God help us but the rumours will be mad after this. Its one thing going out but this looks like an imploding bomb in slow motion.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,317 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Cahill should go quickly if he intends too and give the CB some time to find a suitable replacement

Who from outside the county will even want the Waterford job ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Dammo

Christ this is embarrassing

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

We do meltdowns better than any other county. I thought these days were behind us.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

This is a new low

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭loves_me_county_boy

Not one person could blame Cahill for wanting to getting away from this team after this showing. An absolute embarrassment

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Shocking display. We'll go out humiliated.

• Advertisement

I would lay the blame with Cahill tbh.

He has had 3 seasons at intercounty now and I don't think he's up to it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,759 ✭✭✭lertsnim

He's obviously a big part of the problem. He doesn't come out of this without blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Denny61

This is laughable stuff from a tipp Lad here .at least we can say our beatings are down to all the tiipp team gone ..missed. injured retired but Ye suppose to have second best team

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭skaface

Cahill must take responsibility for a lot of whats happened since the Limerick game.. He's the manager training the players.. We don't know what has gone on behind closed doors.. But something has gone badly wrong.. Players seem to have stopped playing for him

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

We’ve seen these type of performances under Justin, Davy, Derek, Fanning and now Cahill.

Did he sub Barron off in the 1st half today? Missed it on TV but was listening to the radio

The fact Waterford consistently bottle it in big games has absolutely nothing to do with management. How many times has it happened under a number of different managers over the years

• Advertisement

Dropped his men under a bus last week and I always struggled to understand his first act as a manager was to drop N.Connors and M.Shanahan.

2 brilliant hurlers and I believe Cahill was worried about being able to handle strong voices in the dressing room.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

The buck stops with management and never moreso than now with Cahill. Whatever has gone on something clearly is amiss in the camp. Confidence is absolutely gone out of the players, that was evident after 5 minutes last Sunday and the same today. I also don’t know how anyone can say anything about the players after that utterly bizarre team selection today. Before a ball was picked that team looked totally disjointed on paper and so it proved. Players were totally caught by surprise by the late changes today by all accounts so where does that leave the panel and the management?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Lester_Burnham

This is really no more than Waterford 'supporters' deserve. Couldn't fill Walsh Park for two home games, outshouted by Cork supporters last week. Never get behind the team when they need it. Cahill called it out and got no response. And there are people on here saying Walsh Park needs a bigger capacity! For what?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Ballyvoile Boy

Ah well, that's an end to 2022 for Waterford, on the 22nd of May. It's hard to take, but it will be harder for the players than for anyone & there is no way they became bad players overnight. They gave everything they had under the circumstances. You cannot mess around with a team's structure so drastically in such a short space of time & expect the miracle to happen. It is like backing a 250/1 in the grand national, you look like a genius if it comes off, but it is 250 times less likely to work. Anyway, what's done is done & I really hope Clare push on now, I would love to see them go all the way. Shane O' Donnell & Tony Kelly are a joy to watch.

As for us, there will almost definitely be a change of management & it is probably due now. In fairness, this management team & players have given us some great days out & for that they deserve a lot of thanks & credit, including a league title this year. I do hope the manager does not put all of the blame on the players for the last 2 weekends, as it would be good to see him & his selectors at least reflect upon their own roles too, in particular the extent of any tactical approach. It is not about blaming people at this stage, but learning for the future & Waterford definitely do have a future, a bright one. Cork's performance ensured we could not advance anyway, but I guess there will be lessons to be learned from this season & of course, a league title is something good to have. It will be a long wait now for club championship, so some lads might go to sunnier climes for a while. We'll be back in 2023 with a fresh slate!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Waterford done until 2023. Its plain to see that the confidence was gone. If Waterford do one thing over the rest of the year then it has to be sourcing a psychologist to work with the team. They are crying out for it. No sense or meaning to a team downing tools. There's no one questioning the talent but the mentality is not where it needs to be. Fanning and now Cahill experiencing meltdowns in the team.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

An absolutely dreadful performance from us today, against a Clare side who left out some of their best players, we certainly didn't look like a side fighting for our championship lives. It's hard to believe we were so poor, it was like a poor challenge game in the second half, Clare even subbing off the keeper to give lads a run.

A really bad day for us and hard to see Cahill staying on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭decies

“This is really no more than Waterford 'supporters' deserve. Couldn't fill Walsh Park for two home games, outshouted by Cork supporters last week. Never get behind the team when they need it. Cahill called it out and got no response. And there are people on here saying Walsh Park needs a bigger capacity! For what?”

Stop spouting rubbish . It’s the fans fault now is it 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭skaface

• Registered Users Posts: 38,317 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Even with this new calendar the County Championships not starting till the end of July. Sickenging that the season is over on the 22nd of bloody May

This management team and players have given us so many good days out esp during the Pandemic when we all needed a lift. We dont win much at senior level and its nice to have that memory of the League win in Thurles under lights. Ballygunner AI Club win also a great moment of the year and did lift the squad for that league win

Where to know for us ?, Cahill prob done all he can and might take a year out and wait for the Tipp job to come available. This next appointment is very important but time is not on our side gin todays IC hurler could retire when there late 20s/early 30s. Derek part 2 is a possibility esp looking at some other counties that rehired ex managers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭CornerForward10286

waterdord are simply not good enough. cahill was right too criticise. display v cork was shocking.

Advertisement