Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fall of the Catholic Church

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,483 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Problem is, it's been such a bad, oppressive, regressive religion and completely arrogant in its ability to organize and oppress it's become impossible to cut any slack to its adherents. An organization that flouts the laws in countries where it is incorporated is a criminal enterprise. I don't care that it does charitable things - there's lots of charities. And as we've seen in Ireland, it still has a death grip over the most important aspects of society, education and health care. Only recently, perhaps in the last 20 years or so, has that grip been loosened slightly but as you can see from the defenders flocking to it here the grip is still strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,510 ✭✭✭jmreire

There was a scientific program on TV last week, it was to do with the Webb telescope, and how far it could "see" back in time, to give a greater understanding of the universe, and how it came about. So the theory is it all started with a big bang....and this started in a fraction of time too small to measure, and everything that is in existence today ( or will come into existence in the future) was born there and then. They moved on to the next question of what came before the big bang? When nothing existed? So how is the big bang explained ? What was the colossal amount of power needed to produce such an event? That's the question that needs answering, and until that's done, it cannot be said that everything is explained , rationalized, and understood. So anyone using this knowledge, is basing their argument's on feet of clay. Or you can accept the Biblical explanation. We use the 6 senses to under stand the world around us...would you say that all that exists in the World and beyond, or can can only be defined by these 6 senses ??? Or is there more?? Most people during their life will experience something that does not have a rational ( 6 the sense) explanation....has that ever happened to you??? There's professional hospice Nurse ( google ) who specializes in preparing patients and their families for what she calls the death process. And some of the things that she considers a normal part of dying ( yes , I know, a somewhat morbid topic) are pretty inexplicable. And Personally, I've had some experiences that defied logic, and so yes, I believe in God, and attribute them to Him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭housetypeb

Being pedantic about it, you were not born a Christian, you were born into a Christian family and tradition - that's why you are a Christian. If you had been born into another culture you would be singing the praises of another fable with equal fervor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭Shoog

Its literally impossible to know how the universe began. We can never witness it so we can never know. Any telescope has a finite ability to see in distance and time - so we literally cannot know if and what exits beyond those limits. The Big Bang is a theory which sort of explains how things got going in our local corner of space time - but it can never be inferred to be a universal explanation of all existence.

However none of this is a shoehorn into a place for a creator god (a god of the gaps), there is simply no need to invoke one since such a god brings absolutely nothing to our understanding of how things are or where, it simple offers us an illusion of more understanding when in fact the reality is it offers us less understanding.

A sensible mind should acknowledge the limits of its understanding and exist in a state where it is happy to say "I simply do not know" because whatever story it tells itself to comfort itself - ultimately it will never KNOW and it is better to be honest about that inescapable fact.

In an earlier post Igotadose, I explained my position on it...I follow a Man who after 3 years preaching, was crucified, died and was buried and rose from the dead 3 days later, and that's what it means to me. And everything that you have said, I agree 100% with you. Because throughout human history , corrupt men have used religion ( and anything else they they could ) to manipulate and control their fellow human beings. To this day it goes on. If the same spotlight was focused on Irish politicians / businesses since the foundation of the state, it would come up with some very interesting tales. That grip as you call it, has been weakening for a lot longer than the last 20 years, I'd say a lot longer, 50 year's or perhaps more. What Countrys now have the Church incorporated in their Laws, anywhere in the world? ( Islam is excluded, because it is the Law ( Sharia) ) in any Islamic Country. Yes I under stand the reason why most ( but not all) people will not cut any slack to its adherents and that was maybe the most damaging effect on the Church, and especially where the Church is providing help in Hospitals and Schools, but they don't get any credit or praise for that. A Lebanese friend of mine, who was educated by the Jesuits in Beirut, is presently educating his children in the same school. And cannot speak highly enough of it. Likewise, in Damascus and Aleppo, their schools are packed with pupils to the extent that their are waiting lists. So its not the same situation everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,754 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Now you seem to be moving the goal posts to "All sex education is bad", and pretending that that is the belief of mine we've been talking about.

I’ve never pretended at any point that is your belief? I’m aware your belief is the exact opposite of that position, a position you appear to be so welded to that it would take a crowbar to move you at this point 😂

The conversation started from the point where a poster has a different position to you regarding sex education in schools, and you decided to take it down the route you did in attempting to get clarification. When you didn’t appear to be getting anywhere, you decided to rephrase your question and laid out your position, and then asked what was dogmatic about it.

At this point it’s clear that the only thing I unwittingly interrupted on a public forum was your attempt to be a smartarse.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

ok yes there are a lot of unknowns out there but do you really accept a biblical explanation? A man made bible too. My question was do you believe it all? Even half of it? 

I know this has nothing to do with Rome Inc but I often wonder do the clergy believe half of it. The evidence would suggest otherwise.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Your exact phrase was indoctrination rather than dogma. You seem to have backed away from that when you were unable to explain how teaching about homosexuality was indoctrination, a not to subtle slight of hand on your part.

Man made? No its not man made ( except in the physical sense) For Christians, the Bible in the literal Word of God, and was written down by the Disciples as it was directed by Christ, Remember, the Jews were known as the People of the Book ( something that did not happen in Mohammads time...the Quran was written many years after Mohammads death, and by assembling different scripts ) and that's it. You cannot change it. How it has come to be interpreted over time is another thing though, and I'm no expert in theology. But the 10 commandments, are pretty clear, so those ? Yes. I'm hoping that I wont have to kill anyone or thieve from them either.

Can you explain a bit further about the Clergy not believing half of it, and your evidence?

Your understanding of how the Gospels were written is false. All the Gospels were written by people who never met the original characters many years after the events. Each of The Gospels were written based upon the Gospels written before them. The Gospels were not written by eyewitnesses and the writing of Paul came before them - and Paul never claimed to have met a physical Christ - his was a purely spiritual enlightenment.

There is so little impartial evidence for the real existence of Christ that I choose to consider it a purely mythical story.

"The four canonical gospels were probably written between AD 66 and 110.[5][6][7] All four were anonymous (with the modern names added in the 2nd century), almost certainly none were by eyewitnesses, and all are the end-products of long oral and written transmission.[8]Mark was the first to be written, using a variety of sources.[9][10] The authors of Matthew and Luke both independently used Mark for their narrative of Jesus's career, supplementing it with a collection of sayings called the Q source and additional material unique to each.[11] There is near-consensus that John had its origins as the hypothetical Signs Gospel thought to have been circulated within a Johannine community.[12] The contradictions and discrepancies between the first three and John make it impossible to accept both traditions as equally reliable.[13]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gospel

Everyone is perfectly entitled to believe what they want about the story of Jesus, but it should at least be based on the best available interpretation of the verifiable facts of the Bible.

• Advertisement

Yes I under stand the reason why most ( but not all) people will not cut any slack to its adherents and that was maybe the most damaging effect on the Church, and especially where the Church is providing help in Hospitals and Schools, but they don't get any credit or praise for that.

But, they're not doing a particularly good job on either; Ireland's life expectancy is nothing exceptional. Ireland's educational achievements, the same. It's just a monopoly given to an ungoverned, criminal organization. Here's an example for you: Planned Parenthood in the US provides lots of medical care for pregnant women. Consider the abuse it receives from Church adherents; why should the church be praised? They're teaching abuse of medical providers ffs.

My point about not cutting its adherents any slack is, this has gone on for millenia and nothing changes. Time for change. It's only the rise of modern communication that's prevented monopolies like the RCC for controlling the discourse. Remember that the RCC excommunicated the guy that first published the Bible in a language other than Latin. It's all in favor of sharing the Gospel - through their officials (Priests.) Challenge that and they lower the boom.

Well Shoog, I'm no theologian , so I cant disagree with you on that point, but when i was in school ( and thats many moons ago) The Gospels according to the 4 evangelists' were literally The Gospel Truth". and that was an article of faith. So there you have it. After that, its a question of belief.

Belief should accept the facts of a thing, and the history of the Gospels is well understood at this stage.

Precisely, You were taught at a young age, in school no less, not to question but to just accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,754 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Your exact phrase was indoctrination rather than dogma. You seem to have backed away from that…

Respectfully Shoog, you have that arseways. My exact phrase was dogma, as that was the phrase used. I pointed out that I could have referred to the posters efforts as indoctrination, and provided the definition of indoctrination.

I could have pointed out that your efforts amount to inculcation and indoctrination, but you only asked for how your views would be considered dogmatic. For the purposes of avoiding any quarrelling over the definitions of words, I trust that Merriam-Webster is sufficient?

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/dogmatic

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/inculcation

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/indoctrination

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/dogmatism

There was no slight of hand on my part, and there was certainly no attempt to avoid explaining how teaching about homosexuality is indoctrination. In the same post, I went as far as to provide an example of how it had already been tried with what the Bills sponsors called the “Provision of Objective Sex Education Bill” -

You wouldn’t be the first to make such an attempt. A handful of TDs will regularly take a punt at it, seems to be their way of signalling that they’re still alive 🙄

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/bills/bill/2018/34/

I won’t reproduce the entire contents of the objectives contained in the bill, but the kicker about it was the attempt to indoctrinate children in schools, “regardless of the characteristic spirit of the school” -

(c) the curriculum is delivered in a factual and objective manner in all schools regardless of the characteristic spirit of the school

https://data.oireachtas.ie/ie/oireachtas/bill/2018/34/eng/initiated/b3418d.pdf

Contrary to Section 9 of the Education Act which outlines the functions of a school -

(d) promote the moral, spiritual, social and personal development of students and provide health education for them, in consultation with their parents, having regard to the characteristic spirit of the school…

https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1998/act/51/section/9/enacted/en/html

Rather than avoiding it, as you suggest (and I can understand from your point of view why it looks like I avoided it), I tackled it head on, and again when @Igotadose raised the question about discrimination against girls in schools and made the point about the possibility of education being dumbed down and the impact of this upon society - I pointed to a recent example in the UK by way of making the point that discrimination against girls still exists in schools, only the perpetrators have changed. The stories I referred to as having heard from women who attended schools in the 80’s and 90’s were that the Nuns really did a number on them, and the other girls joined in, in many cases, in all girls schools. It wasn’t just in the “Mother and Baby” homes that girls endured horrific abuse.

Andrew advised that I not believe everything I read in LBC, but that wasn’t the reason I linked specifically to the article in LBC. The reason I linked to that article was because I couldn’t bring myself to link to the more comprehensive article written in the Daily Mail, with an almost obligatory at this point, accompanying photo of JK Rowlings rather dour visage. I believe it’s more colloquially known as a condition called Resting Bitch Face -

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resting_bitch_face

Again you undermine your own position One Eyes Jack, your quote which claims :

"I won’t reproduce the entire contents of the objectives contained in the bill, but the kicker about it was the attempt to indoctrinate children in schools, “regardless of the characteristic spirit of the school” -

(c) the curriculum is delivered in a factual and objective manner in all schools regardless of the characteristic spirit of the school

https://data.oireachtas.ie/ie/oireachtas/bill/2018/34/eng/initiated/b3418d.pdf"

You can choose to deny the existence of factual and objective proof of the existence of Homosexuality - but fortunately reality doesn't have to conform to your opinions.

Let me frame this in a way which makes it hard for you to avoid the point at issue, if a teacher teaches about Gravity or Quantum mechanics - is that forcing a dogma on the pupil or is it teaching a fact that has been objectively verified ??

Dogma is by definition a belief unsupportable by evidence - a pure belief. There is a fundamental difference between what you defend as education and what I do, and dogma only lives on your side of the argument.

Post edited by Shoog on

Yes, like thousands of other Irish kids. Then the teens and early manhood, and beyond, with religion largely forgotten or lip service paid when necessary. Then out into the larger world wide world, where I had many experiences, both good and bad, and in some cases, inexplicable. And it was these experiences that convinced me of the existence of God. And childhood religious teaching came to the fore, and the facts fit for me. And now in this modern day and age, yes, I believe. And what do I believe? That there is much more to life than x Nr of years here on Earth... the real story begins after death. But that's just me, and in this part of the World, we are free to form our own conclusions about life, death and Religion. For conversation sake, do you believe that life ends in death?🙂

Answer is yes, life stops at death.

Except in zombie movies of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Why do you reckon your god created a universe that includes childhood cancer?

Imagine if you hadn't been indoctrinated at school like today's students still are and the State supports this by providing space and time in it's taxpayers provided facilities. You might have had a very different life experience. Whether anyone agrees with your chosen dogma is irrelevant. You're advocating for all we taxpayers to aid in perpetuating a criminal enterprise. I say screw that, let the criminals foot their entire bill. No tax breaks, no calls to collaborate via bells on the national broadcaster, nothing. Anyone supporting the RCC is endorsing their crimes.

• Advertisement

You might remember the story of Adam and Eve, who lived in the Garden of Paradise, until Eve persuaded Adam to take the forbidden fruit, and they were kicked out into a world where they would have tp earn their bread by the sweat of their brow. and suffer sorrow and pain? Yup, thats right. Unless you follow the theory that everything in existence is just happenstance?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

So did Adam and Eve's children procreate with each other?

Are you seriously suggesting that billions of people are being punished every day because one bloke was mesmerised by a talking snake? What kind of supposedly merciful, loving being does that?

My Parents, Grandparents, myself and my children plus many thousand others paid and are still paying taxes, so we should not have any say in how OUR Taxes are spent??? That does not count in your book???

And yes, I've often thought that if I was born in Pakistan / Afghanistan, that I'd be a Muslim but there we go, accident of Birth?? ( or deliberate plan?) I don't know, but I expect that at some time it will all be explained to me.

And again, here we go......all the Church, for 2'000 years were nothing but a criminal enterprise..... that old refrain is wearing a bit thin, TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭downtheroad

The catholic church says no to homosexuality but is totally cool with cain and abel having at it with their mother?

Seriously? A grown man in 2022 believing that twaddle and using it as get out of jail free card for childhood cancer.

You just accept everything without question, the early school investment really paid off for your benefactors, you're a fan for life.

That question and many others would be better answered by a Theologian, (if one happens to be reading these posts, ) and not by me as its waaay above my pay grade.

»To my understanding you either have nothing after death, or you are reincarnated. There is more objective evidence for reincarnation than for a physical heaven so I reserve judgement on it. The idea of reincarnation is somewhat appealing - but the Buddhists called it the wheel of suffering - meaning their was no escape from the sufferings of incarnate life which puts a bit of a different slant on it.

In my experiences of shamanism I personally had experiences of the Upper world, Other world (a world which exists slightly offset from our experienced world) and Lower world that make up the shamanistic universe. In a superficial way the upper world is like Heaven and the Lower world is a primal archatypal world of uncorrupted nature which is nearest to the christian hell. However in shamanism there is no value judgement about the value of the Upper and Lower worlds - they are all equally important and omnipresent and accessible to everyone every second of the day. The Monotheistic religions took the real and tangible Shamanistic universe and corrupted it to Heaven and Hell. Since I know the reality of the Upper and Lower worlds and their true nature - I choose to reject the notion of Heaven and Hell of reward and Punishment.

Shamanism is the oldest belief system in the world and universal in its form, it is possible for anyone to experience its reality in a direct way - though what that reality represents in physical terms is open to debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Ah get off the fence would you. You either believe this fairy tale or you don't. Typical nonsense from an Irish 'catholic' picking and choosing the bits that suit your agenda.

If you believe the bible, if you believe god created the world, then you have to believe that these 2 lads shagged their mother to populate the planet but your hypocritical church turns a blind eye to this sin while castigating and discriminating against homosexuals.

And your explanation for all the cancers , wars etc is what??? A grown man i (me) n 2022 has had a pretty long life, and has had a lot of personal experiences which caused him to think long and hard about Life, God and the whole damn bit, and came to the conclusion that God does exist. And the world we live in, full of trouble and strife, is not meant to be our permanent home. What do you think the purpose of Life is??? Live, Die, and BANG that's it???

Post edited by jmreire on

• Advertisement

The hardest lesson to learn is that nothing needs a purpose to exist.

Advertisement