Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Haven't bought an oul shirt in about 3 years.

When did the new jerseys become 100 pound? 😮

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

If we had gone unbeaten since that game and not played city then yes you could say it would have influenced the title race, we dropped points after that game, we played city and did'nt win, ultimately if there is one point of the season you could pinpoint and say that's where we lost it it would have been the game in the etihad, for me anyway.

city were marginally the better team this season, and yes the financial doping makes it a bitter pill to swallow but it was in our hands up to the city game.

No slight on this brilliant team to once again run them so close, hopefully next weekend we will get our rewards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

jaysis... i forgot that rule.. why doesnt every team breed a great kicker that can kick that far and stand in the oppositions box ? am I being a gimp ? yup prob being a gimp... i guess there woukd be more Burnleys... and its great there's no Burnleys lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Of all the sickest ways to happen you couldn't of found a worse scenario. Not going 2-1 up before City got theor first killed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Gundogan's a class act, tbf. Imagine Silva saying anything like that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Hmm worse would be City losing and us drawing, which was the case for a lot of the game, and it was torture.

True. No way is he leaving. Nailed on starter next week, assuming Thiago's out it'll be him, Hendo and Fab. Due to 5 subs, I'm sure Fab will be risked to start if he's close to 100%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Hang on, i've just watched the Watkins miss in the city game, he was offside from a goal kick? WTF?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭antimatterx

On the verge of tears

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Swings and roundabouts really.

If bernardo played for us, I'd love the little prick for being like that.

Ilkay is a baller though, no doubting that.

Don't mind a bit of shite talk from players but he's the only player I have ever seen disrespect a guard of honour. A bad egg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

An odious little rat, is my go-to description of him.

Great player, though.

Tbf we had Luis. And he was most definitely a prick. But he was our prick.

I see the Villa goalie got assaulted by a city fan at the end. This **** is getting out of hand.

English football culture, innit. You’ll see absolutely no condemnation of assaults at football matches unless the aggressors are from any other country.

I can't really think of a way of stopping it either outside of massive points deductions. People want to get on the pitch they will get on the pitch.

• Advertisement

To sum up today anyway, the results are totally as expected. I was relaxed before the game, and relaxed now knowing that we did what we needed to. Obviously, it probably would've been better had City gone 2-0 up after 10 mins as most of us expected, the fact they went 2-0 behind gave us all hope only to be dashed in 5 mins, which is where any sense of disappointment is coming from. We won the game, breached the 90 point mark again, well done to Klopp and the team. Not much point in paying too much attention to the posts of fans of fallen giants who now bathe in the glory of another team's success at our expense - it is, what it is.

Onwards to next week against Madrid, hopefully a couple of our injury concerns clear up and we do the business. To claim 3 trophies would be a phenomenal season.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Naby might start out of necessity but that's all it is.

I expect our focus in the Summer to be firmly in the midfield with 2 signings. Whatever happens to Naby after that is up to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

The Villa sub keeper was awful for the second goal

They just looked wrecked in the last 20 mins, City were relentless, kinda like we were with Wolves so I wouldn’t attach any blame to AV, they are a below average team as evidenced by their league position, and MC are an amazingly good team, so today went the way most expected it to, both teams winning.

The Liverpool sub reddit are being so salty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Early on you could sense he would play a part by making some error. He was terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

In fairness Man City had a week to prepare for the game. Aston Villa chased after Burnley for 90 minutes on Thursday night and it was to be expected that their team would tire in the second half today. The balance of the game shifted then but Villa had done well up to that point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Win the CL, and this is forgotten.

It's that simple.

Not to pick on you Toby, just using your post as an example as lots of people will reference draws or defeats peppered throughout the season as being reasons we didn't win the league.

The reason we didn't win the league is due to City being owned by an oil state and the subsequent financial doping. That's it. Blaming Liverpool for drawing games here and there is indirectly legitimising City's sportswashing. Twice now we have exceeded 90 points without winning the title - that's not normal. Alex Ferguson never managed that total. Even Arsenals unbeaten season yielded 'only' 90 points. The great Liverpool teams of the 70's and 80's drew and lost games all over the shop but still won leagues at a canter.

It's a little like blaming Lance Armstrong's clean competitors, asking why can't they just be faster than him even though you know he's doped to the eyeballs.

This Liverpool team is doing amazing things, and in a weird roundabout way are themselves legitimising City by actual competing with them consistently when they really have no right to. In my opinion, one of the reasons why the PL allowed the Saudi's to take over Newcastle is that they're aware that Klopp won't be around for ever and unless there's another oil state-owned club around to compete with City, then the thin veneer of respectability will crumble as City go on to win 10 in a row otherwise.

The sub keeper was playing because their main one decided to opt out.

Most PL keepers safe that.

Not taking from City, serious character from their players. I find it odd how little I dislike or care for their club

I really though Villa would do it

Nah, for a lot of Liverpool fans/supporters the league is at least equal if not more important than the CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Honestly, if we win all the cups, including the biggest one, and lose the league by a point to them, this will barely register with me.

Very different though if next week goes badly.

I'm not blaming the Villa players at all (keepers aside) . Emi Martinez opted out, he's a keeper did very little chasing of anyone.

• Advertisement

Tbh, it's already forgotten for most (and it's winding others up). Where we are now in the league now compared to Jan/Feb is a bonus.

Roll on next week!

Ah fair I missed that. My apologies to Mr Martinez.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Great effort from the team to push City to the last few minutes of the season considering the gap at the beginning of the year, just a pity we left ourselves a little too much to do from the first half of the season. It was never really in our own hands, even today at no stage did we top the table, we did all we could do just came up slightly short. Small margins over the course of the season tipped things City's way. It's a pity that over the course of the last 4 seasons we are just 1 point behind City, but, only 1 league to show for it against their 3.

Hope this squad gets a second league title; we've seen worse teams in the past win multiple league titles, just unfortunate to be up against Pep's City and all that financial backing of course. Tbf City showed great character to comback and beat Villa today, they are a fantastic team, but, showed today why they struggle in CL as they tend not to perform well when under pressure. Not much more we could have done, it was tantalisingly close at one stage today and looked like the fairytale was going to happen, wasn't to be, hopefully we can comeback next season and win it.

On to the CL now and finish the season on a high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

Opted out? He picked up a knee injury and wasn't expected to play against Burnley on Thursday. I don't think he chose to get injured, the timing was unfortunate but these things happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

We was injured yeah. Gerrard said the medical team ruled him out. I think it's a non-story, tbh. From what I can gather he was carrying an injury into the Burnley game on Thursday and Gerrard had hoped to get both games out of him. Probably knew he'd be slaughtered if he rested him on Thursday and brought him back in today.

See my previous apologies to Mr Martinez, had read he wanted to be fit for the Argentina /Italy game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

We got a great period of excitement today, I genuinely believed it was ours for about 5 minutes. Being the pessimist/realist I am that was difficult.

Go and win next week and the season will go down as one of our greatest ever, possibly the best. Lose next week and it'll still have been good but I feel some of the shine will be lost from it. Hopefully Thiago can play some part, he'd be a huge loss given his recent performance level. Glad Mo got his scoring touch back in time for Paris too. Difficult game to call but hopeful at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Damien360

I was the same as you. On the road for work, pulled into a petrol station for a break and looked at the score. 1-1 Liverpool and 2-0 to Villa. Comments on here were of the order that we wouldn’t win our game. That would have sickened me. I kinda knew Liverpool would pull through as we don’t give up but couldn’t believe the City score line and gave myself hope for 5mins, until the first City goal went in and I expected the flood gates to open.

Not remotely disappointed as I fully expected these results and a 90 point season from a team that is fantastic to watch with 2 cups in hand and a possible extra one. Plus a manager that extended his contract.

Tell me anyone here, that at the start of the season if we said we would be on for 4 trophies and looking good for all of them, you would A believe that and B tell me that’s not good enough to get at least half those and possibly 3 out of 4. Incredible, unforgettable season.

As an aside, talked to a few Utd supporters yesterday (relations) and they wanted this outcome for the league. All I had to mention was Brighton and their +1 goal difference (as of yesterday), but I couldn’t remember how distant they were in position or points and that ended the silliness. I have no stupid text messages today as a result. Got more crap from my Everton supporting brother oddly.

One or two having a go at Toby. He honestly said we would be right there at the end of the season with a point in it very early on this year when ALL of us said we ain’t catching them. He does talk some shite :) but on this he was right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

I'm not sure how to feel. On one hand I understand the people who would have rathered City go ahead after 10 mins, because it would have made the day more straightforward, it was always in City's hands and they deserved it over the course of the season. I also have a soft spot for Gundogan after the injuries he had.

But I ran about like a madman when Mane scored (the offside one) because right then, for one perfect moment, it felt as though we really might do it, that this team, this wonderful team, might win us a league and be able to celebrate it in front of the fans.

We won our own match, which is all we could do. I would have loved it if we could have got the league, and I'm sad that it didn't happen. I wouldn't say disappointed though because it was always a mammoth task, and the team has been brilliant, fighting on all fronts and securing two trophies.

It's been a special season, and it's not over yet. Roll on Saturday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Paul Gorst reporting that the French midfielder(with the really long name) is joining Real

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Tommysocks11

Feck sake, Everton should have had that penalty against city, plain as day, corrupt or just plain incompetent officials, VAR supposed to cut out these errors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

So close. Easier to take that we just missed out having won our game than not. Pity Villa couldn't hold out but i didn't expect them to make a game of it so fair play. We will win it next year.

Was very amusing to hear some Utd fans in the pub I was in celebrating like they had won the league. There were more Utd fans celebrating in it than City fans. They lost yet again. Sad state of affairs.

The financially doped juggernaut do it again, against all the odds. That would be Sky Sports’ take on things.

But if we’re being honest….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,875 ✭✭✭hynesie08

There's a very real chance it'll take 102 points to win the league next year, and that's equal parts exciting and terrifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bdmc16

Watching MOTD , it’s hard to believe abit part player in recent months in Gundogan was the difference today. Such is the depth they have have but that ball from KDB for 3rd goal won them the league. Hes driven them over the line last afew weeks.

Watching back our own game we really looked absolutely knackered with injuries and the sheer physical effort of last few weeks . Really poor defending at times — Definitely a concern how the pace of Vinicius Jnr & Rodrygo will expose our high line and gaping holes Trent leaves at RB. Wolves have so many good chances.

The biggest blow is losing Thiago and his guile against modric & kroos and with doubts around VVD, Fabinho and Keita ability to deliver in big games it’s going to very tough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

What are these VVD, Keita and Fabinho doubts again?

• Advertisement
Advertisement