Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenways [greenway map of Ireland in post 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Caquas

A good letter in today’s IT about the Royal Canal greenway, winner of a European award but missing a vital link

• Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭nilhg

Just a quick update on the Barrow Blueway, the section from Milltown bridge, north towards Monastervin is more or less complete to where the M7 motorway crosses the Canal, from there you can follow the local road along the canal and out onto the old N7 a couple of KMs south of Monasterevin.

The Kiltaghan bridge to Umeras Bridge section is almost complete, might even open this week, the final dust layer was going down when I went round that way earlier this week. No sign of progress on tarmacing the section north of Glenaree bridge, it's a real pity, the rough stones stop most folk on anything but a MTB or gravel bike coming through, it's acting like a block between Rathangan and Robertstown. Hopefully the entire thing will be done before the year is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭9320

Not strictly Greenways but some included in the National Cycle Network Plan published by TII today for public consultation

The National Cycle Network (NCN) (consultation.ai)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,728 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Ha it calls Eurovelo "cycling infrastructure". It's just country roads with a sign on.

Post edited by breezy1985 on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

much like the largely unbuilt Dublin Cycle Network this just gives councils a license to do nothing for the next 10 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭G-Man

Anyone know what quality east of Edenderry towards Lullymore /Allen wood ...

Is it grass and passable on MTB?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭nilhg

Yes and yes...

In reality there's a mixture of surfaces, grass mainly but also some tarmac roads and gravel track. From the tunnel at the Rathangan road you can go either side as far as Ticknevin but after that you're better off on the North side. From Hamilton bridge you can cross onto tarmac road towards Skew bridge

The link below contains 50+ pictures of the progress of the New ross to Waterford section of the greenway down there. Looks like a great job, looking forward to taking a spin on it

Facebook post

• Registered Users Posts: 13,882 ✭✭✭✭josip

It's in regular if somewhat unofficial use between Ross and Glenmore. I thought it was only dog walkers, but saw a cyclist on it last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,070 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Going by this video, I'd say the biggest obstacle to the Western end of the Greenway is the incompetence of Galway County Council.

• Advertisement

Ah look, I'm no defender for the councils in Galway and regularly lambast them for various silliness but we have to be realistic here.

These folks are saying in one sentence that they've had no communication and then the next sentence (literally) saying they've attended multiple zoom meetings to discuss the greenway with the project team, gotten letters and had project team members calling to their doors. Fair enough they've sent letters and asked for more meetings but until there is a detailed design of a more or less finalised route, then any such meeting would be pointless

They also want it on the road but thats not likely to happen for obvious reasons. You don't see many people out for a bike spin or a walk on country roads because its a life-threatening activity in many parts of the country.

The project team have stated all along that they have no interest in cutting through the middle of fields/farms and will keep the route as minimally invasive as possible but at the end of the day omelets and eggs applies.

As for the claim that the greenway will make farms unviable.... 🙄

Then there's the point made that the area is busy already with tourists and the area doesn't have the capacity for a greenway....just wut?!? lol

The worry regarding animals getting out, fencing is the normal solution here. The farmer that mentioned it even mentioned she herself had put up 3km of fencing around here lad to keep in the horses......why would the same solution not work for the greenway?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭serfboard

And the farmers would be the very same people who would be telling you, on another day, how there's no money in farming and they can't see a future for theis kids in the area, all the while doing their best to kill rural tourism.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

Ah let's give these guys a breather - I have no doubt they are genuine in their overall support. They are just stressed right now, as there are lots of unknowns. It sounds like there is minimal useful engagement from the council on progressing this high level plan to a detailed route. Without heavy engagement with these farmers, there is a risk the council will land a detailed route in their letterbox without their input.

Communication is key here. If you engage everyone properly, you'll come to a better outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

The way they're moaning u'd think a highspeed rail line or a nuclear power plant was being stuck in their backyard. ..not just a simple foot cum cycle path.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I'm a bit flumoxxed trying to find out exactly how many greenway trails there are in Ireland, where they are, their accessibility and length/ease or difficulty etc. I know there is a Greenway site and the OSI, but I recently discovered that there is a Greenway in Blessington that I had never heard of and does not appear on either of the above websites. There are probably lots of other greenways/walking routes etc. around the country that are as yet undiscovered other than by those living close by.

Admittedly I haven't done any in depth research county by county, but I think all greenways/walkways should be more visible on a search, not just for me but for everyone, native and tourist alike. Seems like there is no central website for this.

But maybe I am missing some very good site that shows it all. Anyone any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,728 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Well I tried typing greenways Ireland into Google and would you believe that the first thing came up was (shock horror) GreenwaysIreland.org

Yes I know about Greenways Ireland, but it doesn't include Blessington Greenway for example, just mentions it as a "future" project, even though it is open and being used, which was the point of my post thanks.

I had to separately search for it and found it via Wicklow Tourism. Just saying that there may be many other (smaller maybe) greenways out there that are not mentioned on the main site and therefore not being used much if people don't know they exist.

https://visitwicklow.ie/listing/blessington-greenway-walk/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

in fairness the existing Blessington Greenway is only about 5km long, that site seems to be dedicated to longer distance paths.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,416 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

could give ammo to any objectors to the kerry greenway:

It won't as it was dealt with in the Court Case at the time.

I accept that smaller infrastructural projects like Blessington are probably not sexy enough for the Greenway website, but I would like to see a central portal for all greenways somewhere anyway. Would be easier than checking out each county individually for what they have to offer greenway wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Yes, I said it years ago, it was ridiculous then and even more so that it still hasn't happened. The DoT should have an official Greenways website regularly updated with full details on each; standard, access points, amenities on the route, etc.

Look at the great map which RR has put together, and that in spare time pulling together info from various sources. The DoT have enough resources to maintain a website and have all the relevant info on hand. A proper branding strategy would be great (not like a Limerick Greenway and a North Kerry Greenway which are the same thing) but I'd settle for baby steps right now. A definition of a Greenway would be great too, anywhere you can cycle a bike seems to be called a Greenway now.

Good to hear some agreement at last! And there are Blueways, and Pilgrim ways, and all sorts of trails and walks all over the shop, but it seems to be very hard to find them centrally.

Could you link to "RR"s map please? If you have time, I don't have much faith in the search function here, and not sure what to look for re RR anyway. Cheers and thanks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

RR refers Riddlingrussell who has a map f greenways. There is a link in post #1 of this thread referred to in the title of this thread.

Perhaps you might check it out.

Thanks for pointing me to the map in post no.1. It is an amazing piece of work and all credit to RR.

The point I was making is that a central portal like RR's is badly needed on the Failte Ireland/Greenway/OS sites. I intend to ask the relevant departments to comment, we shall see what their response is.

As a moderator could you tell me if I am allowed to link RR's map in correspondence? I won't link anything until I find out.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It's not my map but at a guess, there is no reason why you couldn't point Failte Irl towards this thread.

Cycling tourism has the potential to be huge and the majority of those who would travel to Ireland for this kind of holiday will by and large spend a lot of money in local businesses (bike hire, accommodation, food, etc) in areas which are likely to have bigger all else going for them. It's a no brainer for FI to have a centralised map of their own selling the growing "network" abroad

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Message the poster Riddlingrssell and ask if you can.

• Advertisement

The Greenways Strategy is about National and Regional Greenways, not 2-5km off-road cycling infrastructure. Are people really going to travel to go to the existing Blessington "greenway" that will take them 30 minutes to do in both directions? The 20km minimum in the Strategy means there are currently very few existing open to the public Greenways - Limerick/Waterford/Royal Canal/Sections of Grand Canal/Great Western/Barrow Way the map in Post #1 is mostly filled with potential Greenways which whilst great isn't of use to someone looking to plan a trip now. In 3 years time a National Map would be useful, not now.

Advertisement