Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭one world order

The next management team will have Derek McGrath and John Mullane involved. It's there on a plate for them now...

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭loves_me_county_boy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Derek would start by announcing Waterford will win 3 in a row .. It was a hard watch today. I hope there's a big assessment of the mentality of the team in the face of adversity.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭decies

Horrific

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭jimmythesulk

Desperate stuff from waterford today. Lots of waterford players are just are not good enough for playing county.

Shane mcnulty, Conor Gleeson and Peter Hogan three in particular.

Also the constant short passing. Ye look like a team that are overdoing the short passing drills. Noticeable today was waterford players with a score on and they choose a short pass instead. Montgomery and fagan in the first half just two such examples. Another problem is yere short puck outs. Yere corner backs are just not comfortable enough on the ball.

Cahill leaving ye is probably for the best for ye if you ask me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,317 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

he will bring back Noel and Maurice while also having his first get together with the squad in his house for a BBQ

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

I’m still in shock over that team selection. How on earth could Mahoney and Hogan be ahead of Darragh Lyons who was one of our players of the year? The team named Friday night made sense at least. Throwing Aussie back there after he having his best year of consistent form? It’s like we’ve just come full circle.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Deiselurker

Dreadful display today. Clare had nothing to play for and left out some of their best players and still beat us off the park. It was embarrassing how easily they got some of their scores. The season just fell apart so quickly. Will Cahill and Bevans want to stay on after what they saw today?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭Figerty

As a Clare man I expected Waterford to show up and go for it. Not a man booked or a hurley broke..... Have to wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Aussie going back to centre back was fair depressing. Deise Vu.

Our only forward who has done anything in the championship

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

Cork man here. As an outsider I think Derek McGrath completely disrespected every other Munster county bar Limerick after the league victory...Cahill mustve been furious with him.

Cahill threw the players under the bus following the Cork defeat and it showed in Ennis today.

Cahill is done with Waterford now.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Gluteus_Maximus

I don’t understand how this team could play so poorly today. Yes all the changes didn’t help but it was just way too easy for Clare to shoot points at their leisure, it seemed.

what the hell has gone on since the league win? That is a fine team gone to hell in the space of a few weeks.

If Cahill leaves I hope to heaven that McGrath doesn’t get another shot at it. We’d be watching Dessie running around on his own against three defenders.

i’d give Michael Ryan another go first if it were up to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Sickening but it’s only a game/past time in the end of the day…….as has been alluded to already something seriously got into the players heads since the limerick game…Cahill will most likely go and McGrath could well get the job again…..on the flip side the media will now be blowing smoke up corks h0les…..how their season has been transformed etc etc and they are contenders again……quickly forgetting their annihilation last august and similar double digit defeats earlier this season….

still scratching my head about the late team changes today. That coupled with de burka and Barron going off injured within ten mins just summed up the day……hugely similar to the beating we got back in 2018 (I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

I don’t understand what Derek McGrath has to do with anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭shockframe

The shananigans surrounding Cahill staying on have backfired spectacularly.

I'm not overly surprised he threw the players under the bus last week. They deserted him today by the looks if it.

He did something similar when he scapegoated Tipp Football after a heavy minor final defeat some years back and Football has never really recovered.

I'd guess there'll be little sympathy amongst that fraternity tonight!

Cummins has probably leapfrogged him in his home county now.

Still though its some disaster for Waterford. I find it hard to think of a team that fell so flat after so much pre championship hype. I'm gutted for yerselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Rover_N_Out

Lads I really believe we have a weak mentality and I think this comes from our schools and underage record.

Clare and Limerick built their current success through Harty teams first then minor and U20 teams. We have fallen way off the mark in both our schools development and our underage set up .

We take so many hammerings at underage it's bound to be in the players pysche that they aren't good enough at this level.

We need to reevaluate our club championships firstly, the same clubs play each other every year , we need to get at least one Harty team from west Waterford to compete with De La Salle and without doubt our whole underage structure needs reviewing and possibly appoint someone with oversight for our underage teams.

Until we are competing with and beating the likes of Cork and Tipp at underage we won't see success at senior level.

Cahill is looking like one of those Tech Stocks now all the talk of the town now it’s a crash and burn situation . Nobody likes to be changing managers every 3/4 years but this looks unsaveable how this ended if we at least won today we would have something to work with but no .

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

What da eff sort of coded shite are you typing…..I take it you are a ‘Cark’ lad coming on here reading posts and smugly ‘gloating’ to yourself about league final and how little that is worth/will be remembered now etc etc……😀😀

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭loves_me_county_boy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

I think Waterford, possibly could have believed in their own hype too much after the league final. Something has gone seriously wrong somewhere anyway. As well as that, the group stage Munster championship structure doesn't seem to suit Waterford at all. You've yet to make it out of a Munster championship group stage.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

what the hell has gone on since the league win?

The league means less than nothing for most teams.

It's never been a barometer for the championship and I'd hazard a guess the top teams treat it as a training exercise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Liam Cahill got Waterford to an all Ireland final in 2020, the semi finals in 2021, and they won the league this year and then bombed in the championship. I don't know what happened after that league final, because right up to then you'd say that Liam Cahill was doing a very good job with that team. Limerick used to have a habit for pressing the self destruct button, but they turned it around and became winners. Will Waterford ever make that transformation?

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭shockframe

He's finished with Waterford.

He might have got away with it if it was his first season but this was the best chance at the 3rd season to bridge the gap.

The shambles of the last week means almost certainly no chance of a return next season.

Cahill has probably snookered himself in Tipp for a good few years also. Maybe Dublin might come calling though.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

That's probably as inept a performance I've ever seen from a Waterford team. Ballygunner would have beaten us today.

It looked to me like a complete breakdown of relations between the team and management. I don't think you can say what Cahill said last week and retain the dressing room. Equally though it wasn't in our tactics to not bother resetting for puck outs, both ours and Clare's. That we downed tools so early was really really disappointing. After that we never played as a collective, with just a few individuals trying to keep going. Conor Gleeson in particular but Dessie and Austin worked away while the full back like were left to fight a Clare tide.

I would definitely question our physical preparation as I know we did a heavy session again on Wednesday which other teams wouldn't do. Though more worryingly I'd have to question how good we are. It's hard to see the current team beating Limerick (as the current standard bearers) so the obvious thing is to look to underage. And our record there isn't good. Under 20 has been competitive with good teams but when you need to improve to a higher level you need more than that. There's only one current player of an age that may consider retiring but I have heard that two are considering travelling next year. All in all we need to be realistic and say we're not in a good place.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,317 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Feel time may be running out regarding the talent from the 2013 and 2016 AI underage successes esp with the demands of the IC player nowadays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

The 2013 and 2016 talk needs to stop now. If we were going to get a senior All Ireland out of that group of players, we’d have got one by now.

All the talk about our panel being the strongest in Ireland was a bit fanciful in hindsight. DJ Foran and Micheal Harney coming in today proves that. No offence to either of them but they’ve been knocking around the extended panel for years and if our panel was as strong as suggested neither of them would be anywhere near it truth be told. Same with Colin Dunford, knocking around for 8 or 9 years now. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not having a dig at them and it’s not personal. They’re good players and good lads who have put the hard work in and have been valuable lads to have around but they’re not at the standard required.

Regarding Cahill, I wonder was today a parting shot at lads that stood up to him? A really bizarre team selection and throwing Mark Fitzgerald into that today was wrong in my opinion. That will have done him absolutely no favours at all. Same with Paudi Mahony. Throwing him in wasn’t the right call. He hasn’t had any meaningful game time for Waterford and his last proper game time was the All Ireland for Ballygunner back in February. Where we go from here I just don’t know. We have a good panel, we know that. Do we have an excellent panel? No we don’t. Will we win an All Ireland next year? Absolutely no chance. I’m guilty of buying into the hype this year and I have learned to be disappointed year after year but today feels a bit different. Really deflating.

Advertisement