Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

• Registered Users Posts: 4 R3292

Your talking through your hole there anyway, I’m not even going to explain why because you clearly don’t go to club games or have a clue about who’s on or off panels from year to year.

Mark Fitz was better than most of them tenured lads who started too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

It's such a shame ye didn't get over the line in 2017. Ye were a puck of the ball away from winning that all Ireland. Considering Galways record at losing all Ireland finals, that sure was an all Ireland that Waterford could and probably should have won.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

• Advertisement

I thought Michael Ryan was doing an alright job, until he got shafted by the players. Waterford were very unlucky not to knock Kilkenny out of the championship in 2013. It was nine years ago though, and hurling has changed a lot since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

I still don't get how people say we were unlucky not to beat Kilkenny that day. We got a goal that was the definition of a square ball and somehow the ref decided to blow the final whistle when Matthew Ruth was inside our full back line with the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Ah hold on. That's pure rubbish.

I was in the Hill that day.

Galway indeed flattered to deceive by allowing 2 of the softest goals in that I've witnessed at that level.

However Galway still won and fully deserved it, if Galway won by 9 that day (which they should have) there could be no complaints

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bannercat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

Ok, explain if you would please?

I don’t have a clue who’s on or off panels from year to year? The three lads I mentioned - Dunford (on extended panel in 2013, started games in 2014) Harney (on extended panel in 2014, hasn’t started a championship game) and Foran (on extended panel in 2014, started a championship game in 2018). Three players knocking around for minimum 8 years and one of whom hasn’t started a championship match yet. All three have been on or off panels throughout those years yeah, but that’s not the point I was making. So where’s the problem with what I said there?

I didn’t say Mark Fitzgerald played good, bad or indifferent. Again, you’ve missed the point of what I said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭5948ai

Unfortunately we're not going to win the big one now from the 2013 - 2016 underage success. The most disappointing thing about the last couple of games is that we're as far away as ever from winning a senior all ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Ah yeah Galway won fair play, but i thought that game could have gone either way. Waterford had a few bad wides towards the end that killed them, but Galway won the league and all Ireland double that year so fair play to them. Waterford could and should have built on getting into the final that year, but they didn't sadly. I'm a Cork person with a mother from Waterford, and a partner from Galway so i have a soft spot for both counties.

It's hard to believe, it's been almost twenty years since that 2002 Munster final win for Waterford. I remember everything about that day clearly. I thought the Clare team that beat Waterford in the semi final that year, were no great shakes either. It's such a shame that team never managed to win an all Ireland.

The 2002 All Ireland Semi - a poor Clare team ambushed us in Croke park. We had an 8 week layoff and players or management didn’t know how to deal with it. We started really well and I think only scored 5 points in a terrible second half. Unfortunately we’re still looking back at that defeat and all the others in between instead of looking back at an all Ireland win.

2017 was there for us. We didn’t really play well and lost by 3 points. Moran’s miss with less than 20 minutes to go to put us two points up was the turning point. Galway went and got the next 4 points in a row I think. A few things went against us in that final as well. Horgan trying and succeeding in getting Conor Gleeson sent off in the semi final, Shane Bennett rolling his ankle and having to go off after 25 minutes and our bench not having the impact we had all hoped. It was one of those days for Galway where more or less everything went right for them also.

That’s 5 years ago now and at the time, we were one year after the u21 win and no team looked like they were going to dominate. I think we all thought we’d get one final win on the board after that defeat. 5 years later we’re still without even a Munster and Limerick look like winning 4 since we walked out of Croke Park. Hard to believe as supporters we’ve only been back there once in championship hurling as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭paddy13

I think we as a county could be in trouble as underage teams have been so poor for a good few years. Most of the lads are now pushing late 20's early 30''s.

To be honest the whole county could do with a good shake up. Some of the lads supposed to be bringing through young talent you wouldn't hang a hat on nevermind depending on them to bring players through.

I hope I'm wrong but this is the weakest we've been as a county in years. I know people might say AI club championships but it's not as if it is competitive and there are few Ballygunnar lads on the panel.

Hopefully we can see some improvement in all levels next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭paddy13

@Deiselurker Do we really want them to stay either?

Tbf I am sure that they have given everything to their roles, also not sure what can they get more out of the players. I'm not convinced any manager can do anything special with these players now without a big shake up but we don't seem to have players to fill the gaps left.

Very disappointing year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Ref also allowed a point for us after he'd blown the whistle.

Waterford were unlucky not to beat Kilkenny that night. Brian Cody came out afterwards and said that was the first time a Waterford team had gone toe to toe with Kilkenny in his time as manager and his reaction at the final whistle that night said it all. Matthew Ruth wasn’t inside the full back line either. Jamie Nagle let the ball through his legs around the 45 and as it slipped under him the referee blew his whistle just as the Kilkenny player took it up into his hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Gardner

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

It was Shane Fives and Ruth was inside the full back line.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭loves_me_county_boy

It’s the hope that kills ye lads was convinced we were going close this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭waterfordgirl

I am totally depressed after that performanc yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Christ that was depressing. Youd almost forget that cork won and it wouldn’t have mattered anyway such was the a abjecticity of the display. It will take weeks even months to fathom what has actually happened in the past couple weeks, I really dont see anyway back for Cahill after this. It’s been too much of a collapse.

I miss the old knockout format with big days out in Thurles or PUC, the best memories of my youth is going to those games with family and friends. Those venues really suited Waterford aswell.

I completely despise this round robin format, it’s absolutely disastrous for us. Can’t see us making any strides in the next few years we’re just not strong enough to compete over 4 games and our venue is a big problem aswell. Some soul searching within the county required, hard not to ignore we’re the poorest performing Munster county at underage level aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Its sad to see I have to say, they were completely dismantled and didn't put up a fight really.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

The game vs Cork was knockout, we had home advantage and we blew it.

Any match that we are favourites for, we always blow it for whatever reason. It has been a persistent problem over the years

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

it is hard to put a finger on where we went for being competitive and highly rated to being the whipping boys which is what we were once again yesterday. We may have been hyped up by our league win, but it wasn't as if we put out our strongest side in every game when others were putting out shadow sides. From the outside looking in it appears that we seem to lack Maturity and Mental strength. When i heard the changes yesterday prior to the game it reeked of panic. OK we had lost our two first choice full backs in Daly and Prunty and we were worried about Duggan's strength, so we dropped Tadgh back (who at this stage must hate the mention of Ennis) but why take our most effective forward and place him once again at centre back. This time last year Shane Bennett was parachuted in and had two absolute stormers as center back against Tipp and Galway and while he struggled a bit against Limerick there was no shame in that. When did Paudie Mahony become a Midfielder at the age of 30+ or Jamie Barron's return to a corner forward

Watching our warm up gave indicators of what was to come, the amount of dropped balls, fumbled pickups and poor hand passes was incredible and sure enough i think (without using a stats pad) we counted 1-6 in Clare scores in the first half alone that came directly from unpressured fumbles where we coughed up possession to Clare. I think the Clare left-half back repeatedly picked up about six puck-outs into his hand around 50 meters out the field without a Waterford player being within 10 yards of him and Shane O'Donnell repeatedly took puck-outs at his leisure - it was embarrassing the ease with which they dismantled us.

This is not because we have poor players, we quite simply turned up with no plan, no structure, no fight and no hope., and that for me is the most embarrassing thing.

I am not looking to throw anyone under the bus, but we have been following Waterford all over the country for the last 30 years + but having to put up yet again with collapses like yesterday is no longer acceptable This also applies to some of our underage performances. A complete review needs to be carried out as to what exactly did go on this year and put structures in place to ensure that this mental fragility is put to bed. Our County Board has to have a serious look at how it is going about its business, start putting proper resources in place.

For the supporters who travelled in numbers to Clare yesterday, and yes there were plenty of them there, you can hold your heads up, we did not let the team or management down. I only hope that the team and management can say the same this morning - special mention for Dessie Hutchinson yesterday , he never topped trying, he never hid and was a example of guts and character.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭spideyman92

Very annoying seeing instagram stories of some of the lads out drinking last night. Don't seem as upset about the loss as the supporters do.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭waterfordgirl

Im sure theyre a lot more upset than any of us. Theyve put in the work, it didnt even not pay off .. it blew up in front of us all. They deswrve a few pints and a breather now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Mmm… lot of new posters with very strong views it seems.

Like most genuine fans I am in shock at the championship performances. Squeaked past a weak Tipperary who are in flux, made a decent effort against Limerick but utterly flopped when it mattered against the rebels and Clare B.

We went through the league saying no Ballygunner players no problem, shrugged at the absence of Jamie Barron and Calum Lyons and, at times, Ozzie and Stephen Bennett yet we cruised it. People will say it was only the League but the skill, speed and execution was top notch at all times and subs came on seamlessly.

I would love to know how you go from that to the the utterly abject performance yesterday. It was almost laughable that we scored a goal when Patrick Curran, one of our better performers in other games, couldn’t even hold a ball that was head height in front of him.

I really don’t know where we go from here. There are stories of players being over trained which the plethora or quad and calf muscle injuries seem to add credence but surely in this day and age with access to all the facilities and expertise WIT has to offer that can’t be the full story? We also had well spaced matches for r&r unlike other years.

Hard to believers we won’t see the county jersey until next year. That’s actually mind boggling. I hope the players and management will use the time to sit down and thrash out the problems because I refuse to believe we are as bad as we looked the past month.

Advertisement