Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭Call me Al

FORTE11 from Sigonella https://fr24.com/FORTE11/2bf278b0

https://fr24.com/FORTE11/2bf278b0

Forte11 has been very gutsy with its flight path today, travelling right down past Sochi as far as the Georgia/Turkey border.

I

• Registered Users Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭jmreire

Of course, Putins Machine suppresses information.....but to suppress it 100%? I don't think so. For a 3 day event maybe, but now after 80 days, you can be sure that disbelief is getting more and more widespread. Now too many sons and husbands are missing, and people are talking. Its telling that Putin has not called for full war mobilization because that might trigger unrest that his goons would be unable to stop or contain.

still dont get how Russians can send tanks around with no infantry support,unless it was the last to survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,708 ✭✭✭✭briany

I think Putin fancies Russia as better able to handle the austerity effects of a prolonged conflict in Ukraine and just holding on to territory held or even slowly grind forward as the West lapses into public revolt over the rising cost of petrol and groceries. Whether he'll be correct on this, I have no earthly idea, but this is where I think he's placing his money at the moment, knowing that this whole thing is likely to roll on into late Summer at the least.

It's terrible to think of the kind of punishing attrition warfare taking place in the Donbas at the minute. How this conflict goes if it rolls on is hard to envision. On the one hand, Russia has a lot of artillery shells in stock, apparently, and seem content to just bombard the living f**k out of places like Mariupol and now Sievierodonetsk, while the Ukrainians are getting a lot of good NATO intelligence and modern weapons systems. Not that I think the Russians will ever get anywhere near close to taking anything like the majority of Ukraine, but in territories that have been under Russian occupation for a while like Kherson, Russian forces will have had time to prepare defensive lines and structures and also, disturbingly, get rid of members of the public opposed to their presence. The time to strike back decisively and retake some of that territory cannot come soon enough for Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,038 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

The Eastern block won't have any faith in them going forward and after our experience of the crash, we should be wary of them too.

That's what we should be taking out of this. Our position on the western edge of Europe, behind a large island that has left the EU, leaves us pretty exposed to indifference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Field east

That is if they have sufficient/ any soldiers willing to man the various posts’ left

• Registered Users Posts: 11,422 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

That reminds me of the Catholic church relevations in Wexford. Heard of a case where a woman in her twenties stood up just as an involved priest was taking to the pulpit. She wasn't abused herself but spoke out against his involvement. Some told her to sit down. Then a few more stood up and said their piece against the priest and they walked out of the church together.

But the reaction of whoever filmed this piece in Russia. Laughing at her. As if there's one above her station looking for publicity.

There was the same reaction among some women when they heard of the woman speaking in the church. Totally in hindsight now it's a self preservation action was for them to not feel like a coward and thinking of a false superiority idea over the woman.

But anyway whoever filmed it, still shared it. So the latest idea of agreement may be there. ??

Or else they really hate this wan above her station and want to see her in the Gulag..🙄

Post edited by Say my name on

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭hayse

Some military place near Moscow got a bombing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greenpilot

A few weeks ago, on this forum, I theorised on the activities of the Russian Fleet off the Irish Coast just before the war. Seems my theory may have been correct. I took my Dad into the Curragh Camp to meet a few of his old army buddies ( Note to the commander who is also over the museum. Open it on a Saturday! It's crazy to have the one tool for recruiting young people closed up and out of reach on the one day that people are free. Dad's sick of saying this.)

Anyway, our boys in green were and are expecting that there may have been a nuclear mine or dept charge positioned in or around the Data Cables by the Russians. The Russian activities at this spot was also one of the reasons how the US knew that Russia was definitely going to attack.

There was also a rumour within our defence forces that Russia had planned on invading Ireland ( yes, seriously) and there is absolutely nothing we, as a "defence force", could do about it,

We spend .029% of gdp in defence.

It should be 2.4%

• Registered Users Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭Allinall

Would 2.4% allay your paranoia?

if so, I’ll gladly pay the extra tax.

• Advertisement

Satellite imagery of Ukraine. Interesting talk about the different sat types in orbit.

Absolutely unbelievable to be so far removed but knowing what's occurring, yet feeling like there's an effort not to do a dam thing.

There was talk of agri commodity traders last year knowing something was brewing with Russian traders buying grain for stockpile and buying futures.

GRAINS-U.S. wheat futures slide on Russian crop exports, U.N. grain talks | Reuters

Meanwhile it looks like the UN want to get the world trading again with Russia by buying their grain and fertiliser.

The modern high tech civil servant western type world really doesn't pay enough attention to the grain trader, tillage type commodity, agro set. To me it's like it's this type in Russia planned this war and they've planned it to perfection. The tillage land in Ukraine has been taken, the prices have gone through the roof, machinery and grain stolen, UN is about to push through their reacceptance into the world trade to avert famine, same reason will probably be used by france, germany, UN to give these territories to Russia.

Looking that way to me.

Only hope Ukraine have is to tell em all to go to hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭weisses

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

I think you maybe out with your % of GDP spent. But it's still nowhere near what's needed, even before the Russian invasion.

But I hate people quoting the 2.4%, you could allocate all of the 2.4% to wages/bonuses/pensions or MRE's and still be as worse off as we are but we can state we spend 2.4% on defence.

So the Russians planned this war to benefit from high grain prices at the potential cost of loosing billions in sales of fossil fuels?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,405 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I don't think perfection is reducing your armed capabilities to that of a 3rd rate power. The loss of thousands of your forces and elites. The complete isolation of your country and helped expand the border of NATO.

It's perfect alright. A perfect way to fcuk up your own country.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Yes, there isn't much of a master-plan there beyond war (with initial goal to take the whole country) and general destruction and pillage (the objective failed, so we'll get as much of Ukraine as we can, and devastate the rest).

What has Ukraine got to loot for would be occupiers? From what I understand an important part of its wealth is very good agricultural land, farm machinery + infrastructure, the grain stores from previous harvests it would like to export.

How do you wreck Ukraine's economy (and perhaps cause some chaos elsewhere in the world as a side "benefit")? Ruin the above, blockade Ukraine's ports, kill the farmers or drive them off the land.

They haven't lost those sales yet. Back a month ago even US news sites were saying there's no replacement for the likes of Hungary and southeast Europe. Germany and Italy now willing to pay in Rubles.

What has it got to loot? As in the reason why or benefits to Russia occupying Ukraine?

Well they would have the entire south coast for ports. Ukraine also has untapped oil/gas reserves in the west which would be easier to extract than in north Russia. Russia Expected a quick regime change in Ukraine with soft sanctions, they were not thinking about holding the world hostage to hunger as a reason for invading. TBH, I don't think many know why Russia invaded, it certainly was not to seize farm machinery or grain stockpiles.

Not yet, it's hard to see a true effect as with worldwide prices being so high and potentially EU countries stockpiling or filling their reserves, it could lead to an abrupt cutoff from Russia. All we hear is people spewing out random numbers like 1bil a day or 10bil a week going to Russia, or something crazy like that.

Russia have cut off I think Poland, Bulgaria and Finland, I highly doubt they will be coming back as a customer. More and more Eu countries are reducing their reliance on Russian Gas and Oil and Russia is selling it's excess for a discount on the open market (I believe Russian oil is one of the most expensive to extract also, possibly down to the Kleptocracy)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭threeball

Russias greatest allies since the invasion began has not been Belarus, China or India as many would suggest but rather Germany, France, and to a lesser degree, Italy. No one has done more to keep the Russian war machine trundling on. The blood of up to 50,000 Ukrainians is on their hands.

• Advertisement

They look at things long term, 10, 20, 50 years from now.

Finland, Sweden joining Nato didn't come into their plans. The threat of nuclear weapons was supposed to keep them cowering and out.

The losses are supposed to be martyrs to be celebrated and avenged. Nothing to government.

The way they look at it get to next winter, heck just in a few months in Africa with famine on the TV and next winter in Europe with people dying from cold if they don't buy Russian gas and they'll have won. Even the UN is trying to get countries to deal with Russia again at this point in time and even with what is proven war crimes in Ukraine.

I'm as anti Russian as they come but unless we see a full scale operation and relief of Ukraine by UK and US forces in the air and on the ground then I fear Putin has played this well long term for ground gained. All the Russians have to do is let the cards fall, famine in the world, dying from cold in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

I was agreeing with your post and asking those questions rhetorically. Probably not expressing myself very clearly and should go to sleep.

I think at this stage there is slim hope for Russia of achieving "regime change" or ever occupying most of the country or imposing Russian control on it.

So my point was the aim now appears to be take as much as they can, and wreck the rest. They may not even be confident now of holding on to some of the parts in the East/South they occupy at present longer term.

So soldiers looting machinery etc. (i.e. being permitted to), the robbing of, or bombing of grain silos and blockading Ukraine's exports is all part of that project of destroying the country.

As you say, I think the possible effects of it on global food supplies are somewhat incidental, and a consequence of Russia's failure to achieve what they wanted initially.

I sure hope none of those countries who face famine didn't vote against or abstain the various UN resolutions condemning the war.

You will find EU countries are filling their reserves to see them over the winter. Even before the war, it makes sense to buy cheap during summer to stockpile for winter. Obviously it's not that simple, but it's incomparable to a famine.

Where has the UN been trying to get countries to deal with Russia again?

Are they asking countries to export arms to Russia again or buy more Russian Oil & Gas?

I think we've seen how useless the UN is.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,981 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 18,499 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Putin hasn't played anything well. Geopolitically, he is a hundred of times worse off than before February 24th.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭seenitall

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Polar101

The plan was to take Ukraine quickly. That didn't work, at all. It doesn't really look like there was a grand strategic plan behind it - Russia is now a pariah state, and Ukraine is in ruins. It's an absurd notion that this was Putin's plan all along.

Russia doesn't really manufacture anything, and they need western imports for pretty much anything beyond basic goods and possibly weapons. They have a lot of natural resources, but they either refuse to sell them or are unable to. Russia needs the rest of the world more than the rest of the world needs Russia, even if there will be a shortage of Russian/Belarussian/Ukrainian grain, fertiliser and whatnot.

Even if Russia gains some territory from the war, then what? They will be worse off, and then have new territories that are in ruins and have a hostile population. They played all their cards already.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭zv2

There must be thousands of Russians phoning home and telling it like it is. The truth will have to seep in eventually, especially with all this talk from the courts about war crimes.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Daughter Of Russian President, Maria Vorontsova, Defends Russia's Actions (extra.ie)

Crookes telling the world they are not crooks and then playing the victim. Putins family remind me of a bunch of 5-year-olds. Hopefully, most of, if not all of their money will be found and taken from them.

Dan.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement