Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fall of the Catholic Church

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭housetypeb

I don't claim to have an answer for the reason for childhood cancer, you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,754 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I think I see the source of the misunderstanding -

You can choose to deny the existence of factual and objective proof of the existence of Homosexuality - but fortunately reality doesn't have to conform to your opinions.

You’re attempting to ascribe a position to me that according to your own prejudices, I should hold, while telling me that reality does not conform to MY opinions. At no point have I ever denied the existence of the concept of homosexuality. The reality is that contrary to what you think I believe, I was rather explicit already in explaining that I just don’t care for the concept one way or the other in the same way as you do -

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/117516675#Comment_117516675

I already provided a definition of dogma, and yours isn’t it. The mistake you appear to be making is in conflating homosexuality with teaching about homosexuality. I was also explicitly clear in making the point that you’re free to educate your own children however you wish in accordance with your own beliefs, or to enrol your children in a school in which the ethos of the school is in accordance with your beliefs, and to be supported by the State in doing so.

The part of the provision you highlighted is neither factual, nor objective. It’s quite clear, had you read the contents of the Bill, that it is neither factual, nor objective, and any curriculum based upon the provisions in the Bill would neither be factual, nor objective. The aim of the Bill is to promote the sponsors own political point of view. They attempt to do this by including a provision which tries to override the Education Act in order to attempt to force the curriculum into all schools, regardless of the characteristic spirit of the school. This is why I suggested it was an attempt to indoctrinate children in schools in accordance with their political views.

I have no issue with them promoting their ideology in schools which ethos is in accordance with their ideology. Trying to promote their ideology in schools which the ethos is not in accordance with their ideology is the only part I had any issue with. That kind of behaviour is never going to go down well with parents who do not share their opinions for how their own children are to be educated -

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-30927414.html

At best it’s just misguided.

At worst, it’s just ignorant -

https://theconversation.com/amp/a-thousand-years-ago-the-catholic-church-paid-little-attention-to-homosexuality-112830

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Do you not think it is a bit odd to build your whole life's value system and actions on something that you just can't explain?

Evolution. Science.

And yes, live, die, bang - that's it. This is it. This life is what it's all about. There is no second chance.

That would be an interesting conversation to watch, god explaining to little Jimmy that his suffering and death was necessary for his plan to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭Shoog

The state has decided that every child should recieve sexual education and that it should be based upon facts and evidence not beliefs. The state is free to make such an assertion in law if it considers it to be necessary for the general welfare of its citizens. The ethos of the school is secondary to this duty of offer fact based sexual education to all pupils and the constitution doesn't prohibit this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭jmreire

Nope, I'm not "picking and choosing" The Old testament was changed by Jesus, and the New Testament is what Christians follow. In which part of the Bible are Homosexuals castigated against??

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Skyfloater

I was at a communion yesterday, where the priest was telling the children about their new imaginary best friend, Jesus.

Reminded me of an old Jimmy Stewart movie "Harvey" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvfXvW2wsuQ

@jmreire, If you haven't already, I suggest you read Richard Dawkins "The God Delusion", or for a more concise evisceration of the sky fairy myth watch Christopher Hitchens on YT.

Oh, and the reading, St Paul's letter to the Corinthians...again!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,754 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Fair play to you for being able to cram so much wrong into such a short post! 🤔

I’ll leave it there as I think we’ve covered everything and I have nothing more to add to what’s already been addressed.

So we have the two Gods, the Religious one, and the scientific one.... Yet, neither you or anyone else can explain what caused the Big Bang???? And that is the biggest scientific question of all time. everything, literally, hinges on it. and until its solved, science is incomplete. And you query why I base my life's value system that I cannot prove??? Well, I have no problem with believing that Jesus rose from the dead.

And no, I don't believe that death is the end. That would not make sense to me. We are all part of something bigger.

As I remember being taught, God created the perfect world for Adam and eve, and this perfect world was his plan. Then Adam sinned, and they were cast out of Heaven into a world of basically trouble and strife. This was not Gods plan. But as you don't believe in the existence of God anyway, so He could not have caused it, could he?. Whats your explanation for cancer ( or other similar manifestations of suffering, in Humanity? ) Evolution?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,260 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

You don't seem to know much about the bible's origins or the facts that it has been tailored by Rome down the centuries.

To be honest I think you like playing the martyr and your beliefs are quite shallow.

Why do I think most of the clergy don't believe their own message? Well if they truly believed in sin and hell and eternal damnation they wouldn't have committed so many atrocities over the decades and centuries. Those clergy in Ireland that helped cover up abuse (and continue to do so) would have shouted stop or revealed the abusers. Look at Cardinal Brady and oath of secrecy. The career was seemingly more important than honesty, integrity and a 'pure soul'.

The Vatican itself was a haven for corruption, murder and vice. I am often reminded of my favourite pope Pope Formosus.

Formosus was pope from 891 until 896 when he died. The story, however, did not end there. In early 897, Pope Stephen VI and Lambert ordered that Formosus’s corpse be disinterred and brought to San Giovanni in Laterano for the proceedings. The trial was convened as a synod with all the cardinals, bishops, and other ecclesiastical dignitaries in full attendance. Dressed in his official papal vestments, the dead pope sat propped up in a chair. The accused cadaver was assigned a defense lawyer, and the charges were read to him. His nomination as pope was illegal, one of the charges ran, because he had been Bishop of Porto at the time. This flouted canon law, the accused was told. Addressing the corpse directly, Pope Stephen’s counsel asked it: “Being Bishop of Porto, why did you, with great ambition, usurp this See of the Apostle?” A deacon was appointed to speak for the deceased. Sources say he mostly read from prepared statements. It is unknown if the dead pope’s counsel dared to mount much else in the way of a defense. In any case, the sentence was not open to appeal. The synod signed the order to depose Formosus, and then condemned him and revoked all his appointments, so that all clerics ordained by him were forced to repeat the appointment process all over again. Formosus’s corpse was then stripped of his papal vestments. The three fingers he had used in consecrations and blessings were chopped off. The body was then dressed in common clothes and buried in a pauper’s grave. Not content with that outcome, Stephen VI had the body dug up again and thrown into the Tiber.

Great bunch of lads.

Inside the Cadaver Synod, the trial of a dead pope's body (nationalgeographic.com)

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

More twaddle, nothing of substance.

What cause cancer? Well, I'm not a doctor but I'll hazard a guess that random mutations seem a more likely cause rather than god's plan coming to fruition.

Yup. I'm no expert in Theology, and I'm not disagreeing with any thing you have mentioned, they were some pretty crazy things going on, and yes, I've heard of them too. and all in the Name of Christ. The Dark Ages were aptly named. And as I have already mentioned a few times, that many so called Christians and Followers of Christ were anything but!!!. Religion was just a means to an end to them. But from where I stand, and based on my own personal Life experiences, ( and these were many, over the years ) and a lot of thinking, I came to the conclusion that God exists. And that's it. Maybe that's a problem for some people, but I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything.

You never bothered to look up the origins of the texts that you base your life creed on?

You god seems to have limited powers, he didn't forsee the apple/serpent incident or even Lucifers coup attempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

So deaths all being the end doesn't make sense, but you're happy enough with the talking snake, the magic apple and the two boys procreating with their mother?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭downtheroad

So god doesn't believe in forgiveness? Isn't that a huge part of catholic teaching?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭downtheroad

So homosexuality isn't a sin in the bible? If that's the case then why does the catholic church not allow homosexuals to marry?

Are you saying the church doesn't follow the bible?

Andrew, again, the Man I follow was the one who after 3 years preaching the new Testament, was crucified died and was buried. On the 3rd day, he rose again from the dead. You don't believe any of it I take it???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭deravarra

Amazing how many atheists will denigrate people's beliefs because it doesn't make sense to them.

Reminds me of Reverend Lovejoy's explanation of Unitarianism to Lisa using an empty bowl. She remarks "there's nothing in it". He says "exactly".

• Advertisement

Which gospel version of him rising in the bible is your favorite? The gospel has an ould contradiction or two in the telling of it I do hear tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭deravarra

Why would you reckon that is?

I'd hazard a guess and say that the 4 gospels were written after the time of Jesus death, by different people, and following from oral tradition.

Send 4 different reporters to cover any news event and you would find the same.

Don't forget the council of Nicaea had a hand in the final product too while you're at it.

If the bible says its a sin, then that's exactly what it is, and that's why they cannot marry in a church.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,386 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

So would you be in favour of the previosuly mentioned German-style religious tax? In which case, yes, you do.

But not at the expense of someone else.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Then what is the Catholic Church's stance on homosexuality and what is it based on?

And again with the derogatory remarks........ Yup, watched and read both Dawkins and Hitch, and if St Paul says homosexuality activity is a sin, that's it. Its a sin. Wont change my mind on what I believe though.

Ah, bit he did - they were all part of his cunning plan...!! :)

You are in Luck, another poster has just posted that information in a reply to me....for the new Testament re homosexuality, read St. Pauls letter to the Corinthians.

• Advertisement

"Ned, have you considered any of the other major religions? They're all pretty much the same."

Advertisement