Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

******* Motors Chat Thread *******

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

AFAIK pump will not start until previous customer paid for their fill-up. That's what I noticed on the station I regularly visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭ofcork

The annoying thing in my local garage wans park at the pumps get fuel and take forever inside doing a big shop as well!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

More annoying people who are not actually getting petrol pull up at pump and straight in the shop because its handy parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭passatman86

Do us a favour - go back to not posting anymore, im a regular and could do without reading such horse sh1te.

I always leave my car at the pump after topping up, but always straight to the till - none of this hanging around at the deli waiting for a jumbo breakfast roll

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

So on the one hand we have people who are refuelling being abused because they leave their car at the pump when they go inside to pay. Then at the other end of the spectrum we have another cohort who park their car at the pump even when they aren't refuelling. I used to work in a filling station many moons ago and this was a regular occurrence. Height of ignorance in my book really as there would generally have being plenty of other parking spaces available. Like a lot of these kind of things it was apparent it tended to be people of a certain ethnic background who done that. One lady came in one night and abandoned the car in such a way to stop people getting into the pumps at two sides even though she wasn't refuelling. Height of ignorance.

Me, I leave the car at the pump (only after refuelling). I would be mindful of mistakenly being accused of doing a drive off if the pumps were particularly busy and its not like the cameras in all filling stations have the entire premises covered or even the entire forecourt for that matter all of the time. I wouldn't be buying anything much more than the likes of a litre of milk in them small shops, only if badly stuck. Wouldn't be going in there to chat to Mary either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Once, I got abused before I got filling up. Some small man in a, surprise surprise, miserable sh*tbox c*ntkai went to start shaking his head and started nonsense about "could you not see I was going to park there" to which I replied "there are other pumps free, what's your problem" I shouldn't have to justify why I picked the first available pump to me for the correct side of the car. Maybe he didn't like the fact I was driving Mrs Pigeons BMW either, thus supposedly demasculating his turd burgling mobile

This escalated into me being slightly more curt, and possibly vulgar. The small man f*cked off then parked at a pump and didn't get fuel in his piece of scrap bastard mobile. "Did you not get to fill up, love?" didn't go down very well when he came back out and drove off in a huff. Tough in the piece of scrap, not so tough out on his own. Wanted their bastard mobile as close to the door as possible so they could show off their scrapbox thinking their the bees knees. Typical c*ntkai wanker

As for me, leave the car at the pump, pay and go. I don't see the problem, helps the staff behind the till too. Unless you block the agri/kero pump and go get half a weeks shopping. That's a different kettle of fish that warrants lots of abuse

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭zg3409

I think for the staff it warns them there is an unpaid fill up, with another car attempting to fill up. This can confuse staff as they need to figure out where the unpaid car has gone, where the driver of that car is, all while serving other customers. I am not sure how easy it is for them to let the next person fill up but there is a risk they may forget the first driver or it could be a fill up and run. It's more confusing with multiple shop staff, where another staff member may have approved the first fill, so the staff member may not have viewed the first car pull up and fill up. I think staff need to approve all fill starts, to prevent unapproved containers (think milk container which I have used!)

At peak times I do fill then move, particularly as queues at the till are more common these days, but I drive an EV most days so I fill for 80% off at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Just on Donedeal now and don't want to post in dreamer thread but those last gen Celica's. There are people looking for dear enough prices in my opinion for them some are even only VVT-i versions. They are looking for between 3 and 5 grand. I'm not sure if they are selling for that price but that is the price are looking for.

I sold my vvtL-i for 3 times the price i paid for it - and honestly the current owner could ask for 3 times the price he paid me. Car market is bonkers atm

Physically lost my licence the other day along with the usual cards which I could make a call have cancelled and replaced. My driving licence which I had renewed last year however I might as well be applying for from scratch with the need for a medical and Garda nod ffs

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 661 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

Anybody know of any good classic Japanese cars forums? My Nissan Laurel has a few little things that I am sure a dedicated forum would be able to help with. My google skills haven't found anything good.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Those dedicated forum days are nearly numbered very few if any left. It's all about Facebook groups now. If you cannot find a Irish one on Facebook try a UK one. Sometimes both UK and Ireland are in the same Facebook pages.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 661 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

Facebook is a good shout, didn't even think of that. I'll give it a shot

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Good aul Facebook, the amount extreme groups that I was recommended to join by their algorithm when I was on there. I was only in a few motoring and wildlife groups.

Left for various reasons. Forums like this and Detailing World are ghost towns now.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

The only reason I still have a FB account is for those groups, they're pretty good and active.

A few car ones, a few band ones and our extremely moany residents group one!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Maybe I'm just old fashioned (or just difficult) while there was some very good and knowledgeable people on the groups, I couldn't stand the lack of organisation on the platform.

There were no stickies or knowledge base threads so the same questions kept getting asked and answered. An innocuous looking post could have a great discussion below it but you wouldn't know as there was no view count.

I also found that once a group went over 2000 people, that was when the angry posters arrived and the tone became adverserial for everything.

/Rant over :)

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

On Messenger app the other day and herself said who you talking to and I said ah just @colm_mcm she said who is he? I said remember I bought the Avensis off him. OK she said and walked off... She then returned Eh that's over ten **** years ago, I said I know I'm a bit like that keeping in contact with people.....😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Every kind of grouping tends to have a fixed life. People move on, people get nasty, the wrong kind of people win the power struggle and then it all goes besh1t. It can take a while to find a new group where things are ok again, then you get a certain amount of time out of that one before it falls apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,271 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

Anybody know a good place to buy Lithium Ion car batteries, I am sick of the tiny little lead one I have in my classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

Anyone ever get the tyre warranty when buying tyres on tyre leader? Am I reading it right that if I get a puncture, they will send me out a new tyre? Do I get to keep the punctured tyre? It seems too good to be true.

"The Guarantor hereby undertakes, under the conditions set out below, to ensure that the Tyre(s) purchased by the Beneficiary has (have) a higher resistance than is expected for normal use, with regard to the risks of punctures and bulges. In fact, the legal warranties provide an overall guarantee against Tyres that are not in conformity with the usual use or unfit for the use for which they are intended. However, these guarantees rarely allow the Customer to obtain a replacement tyre in the event of a puncture or bulge. This Tyre Warranty Plus provides the Beneficiary with a more extensive protection against the risks of puncture or bulge under the conditions and subject to the exclusions defined in this Warranty Contract. In other words, the Tyre Warranty Plus functions as an extension of the field of legal guarantees to the benefit of the Beneficiary. The Beneficiary's attention is drawn to the fact that the Tyre Warranty Plus is not an insurance product insofar as it does not guarantee the Beneficiary against extrinsic risks at the level of tyre resistance that the Guarantor undertakes to guarantee for the benefit of the Beneficiary. The Beneficiary is free to take out an insurance product with an insurance company to cover these risks (vandalism, accident, etc.) independently of this Tyre Warranty Plus."

"Excluded from the scope of the Tyre Warranty Plus:  the sale of any non-tyre products or the provision of any services by the Guarantor to the Beneficiary;  all sales on the Website of one or more Tyres to Customers who have not subscribed and/or paid the price of the Tyre Warranty Plus at the same time as the order for the Tyre(s) concerned.  Any tyre with a unit price greater than 150 EUR including tax. "

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Is this stuff mixed and ready to go or does it need distilled water adding?

I'm a bit confused by the labelling on the back where it mentions percentages

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

A ratio of 25% anti-freeze to 75% distilled water for temperatures down as low as minus 12 degrees celsius going up to a ratio of 60% anti-freeze to 40% distilled water for temperatures as low as minus 56 degrees celsius and everything in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,684 ✭✭✭whippet

yesterday I got my first puncture on my BMW running on run flat tyres. What a pain in ass - obviously no spare tyre. I was about 40km from home with a car full of kids coming back from a football match. Took it really handy and have been ringing around tyre places today and no one within 30 mins of me has one in stock .. quoting 24/48 hours to get one in.

How do other people deal with this pain in the ass .. do you have a spare in the boot (its a 330e so boot space is small as it stands), or do you have bottle of that foam. I'm thinking of just buying a spare wheel and tyre to leave in the shed so at least I'm not stuck hoping someone local has one in stock

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

I have a spare at home in the shed to keep me going. Not idea but I’ve never had to use it either thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Thanks

So what's summer coolant then ?

I get the idea of ready-mixed or antifreeze+distilled water

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

When calculating MPG do we use UK or US gallons??

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭v240gltse

we used UK gallons for computing MPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,271 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Also known as Imperial Gallon.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement