Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fall of the Catholic Church

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,387 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Not familiar with the letter, and it's nearly 1am. Can you just tell me which verses and whether or not homosexuality is castigated in it (in which case either you've answered your own question, or failed to asnwer mine)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,510 ✭✭✭jmreire

The German religious tax applies to persons ( taxpayers) registered to their particular Church. Here in Ireland, we do not have any choice in how our taxes are collected or how they are spent only that they are collected. Anything that is given to the Church by the parishioners is voluntary.

Yes, its getting late, but you can try Google in the morning under " St. Pauls Letter to the Corinthians"....its all there. Enjoy.

Hmm.... dodged on two accounts.

1 - I didn't ask what German church tax was - I've lived in Germany for the last ten years, I know exactly what it is - I asked you how you feel about it if it was introdcued to Ireland? Would you happily pay it?

2 - I kind of expected a Russell's Teapot answer rather than an actual quote, which indicates you have no idea either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

You missed reminding him of the best part; the one where the all loving, all encompassing God directs you to Hell in the afterlife when something is amiss in your existence. Love hurts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,810 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

None of that addresses what I posted.

But whatever floats your boat. You and everyone else is completely free to practice whatever religion you want. Just don't expect to have it funded by taxes or imposed on people (particularly children) by state services.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Ah grand,so a man can procreate with his mother down the back of a church then?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,483 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

I don't think it's a terribly old refrain, frankly. It's only in the last 30 or so years their officials have actually been convicted and sent to jail for their pederasty. At least the Canadians have called what the RCC did to the indigenous children in Canada a 'crime against humanity,' perhaps there'll be legal repercussions from that. Unfortunately, the RCC is manipulating the Irish government into slow walking anything about the massacres of children in Tuam and Bessborough and, with the threat of exposure of their 'sale of babies to America' adoption business, has also blocked legislation regarding adoption. Yet another criminal behaviour that's not been prosecuted.

Saw this on the Funny side of religion board. Seems appropriate:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭Shoog

I like to think that people understand what they claim to have faith in, but the evidence here is that christians have a very shallow understanding of their beliefs. It's hard to take them seriously really. Argue with knowledge and conviction, conviction without knowledge leaves you open to exploitation which is what I see going on here.

Catholics and Protestants' and Muslims etc, dont pay taxes in Ireland???

• Advertisement

Ah, you are happy so Princess!!!! 😀 but what about the taxes we do pay, like everyone else in the Country, regardless of religion? And also we pay the Church too, independently, there are regular collections each year. So if this was officially included into the Tax system, no different.

You might not believe this Igotadose, but I'm happy to hear that these bastards are getting their comeuppance, late and all in the day as it is. Because these self same bastards were for sure not Christians. Re Crusaders cartoon...have you seen the Muslim equivalent? Because they have lots of tales of what they did to the infidels, their men, women and children in the Holy Land. But thats for another thread.

Is that new Testament teaching, Road??? Can you show the relevant section?

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Skyfloater

"And no, I don't believe that death is the end. That would not make sense to me. We are all part of something bigger."

You know that this just makes you a Buddhist, and you're quite correct we will be resurrected..as an earthworm or a daisy.

Anyway I prefer Dave Allen's thoughts on Adam and Eve, enjoy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGASvVqzOa0

• Registered Users Posts: 15,615 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Clearly the church is falling off in terms of popularity in Ireland. Attendances are down, the number of trainee priests are falling. People views are continuing to move away from the guidance of the church. Gay marriage, abortion, contraception.

I can't see any way that the church is going to reverse that slide. What do they bring to the table? What can they offer people today? The massive scandals, not limited to just the rape of children, have also had a massive negative impact. Not just in terms of the scandal itself, but it broke the spell that the church had over many in the country, that somehow the church was good, and had the answers.

When the church cannot even live by its own rules, cannot even understand morals, why would anyone think they have any special knowledge into the thinking of God?

With more ET schools, the direction is only one way. The Church has built itself on indoctrination of the youth, which then carries through peoples lives. Miss them when they are young and the numbers joining later will be tiny. Of course the continued advancement of science, where we are learning and understanding more everyday, also means the space for religion is constantly becoming smaller.

Shoog, so for you, unless there's a proven scientific explanation for it, it does not or cannot exist? ? Well for Christians, we believe in what Jesus taught, and a degree in religious theology or scientific research is not required. Was he Crucified? yes . Was he Buried? Yes. Did he rise again on the 3rd day? Yes. Will he come again? Yes. And thats it Shoog...its called Faith.

Off the cuff Shoog, have you ever experienced anything that you could not explain? Maybe felt shivers down your back or something similar???

• Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Its all about forgiveness Road...that's what this life is all about. Forgiveness, Jesus said repent and your sins shall be forgiven. And so it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Actually if you read about the Crusades you will learn that the Muslims treated the Christian POWs very well initially. It was part of their culture. They changed tactics when they saw that the enemy butchered and tortured every single one of the Muslim POWs.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭Shoog

I was specifically refering to your lack of understanding of the history of your gospels. A vey shaky foundation to build a faith on lacking a basic knowledge of historical facts.

I am quite happy to accept that there are things science and myself do not know -- such acceptance is the foundation of my world view. I see not constructive in substituting belief for a lack of knowledge. Accept the limits of what can be known. Similarly there are many inexplicable things which we can experience which are currently beyond explanaton. God need not apply to fill the gaps of.my understanding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭deravarra

If only the atheists devoted as much energy to bettering others rather than knocking people who have a simple faith, perhaps we'd be better off?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

So, does this mean the nuns and priests figure they have an ace up their sleeves on judgment day for the sins they would commit?

Convenient.

The general malaise for non believers is that they cannot conceive that this and other religions that were foisted on them dating back thousands of years can placate scientific thought and methodology.

Faith has been debated in the church since its inception because humans have always had a need to understand the universe. Some exercised this need to understand by wallowing in mysticism while others had a more rigorous, empirical way of apprehending nature. The debate around faith has been a primary source of anxiety for church leadership and was countered with arguments like the last judgment and heaven and hell to rein "bad faith" in.

Scientific methods and education have improved to the point where scientists, and a fair amount of the population will forego rapid conclusions on explaining something that sends shivers down their spine.

Post edited by Kaybaykwah on

• Registered Users Posts: 23,753 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Argue with knowledge and conviction, conviction without knowledge leaves you open to exploitation which is what I see going on here.

Meh, you have a point, sort of. Plenty of people argue with conviction, and their rhetoric is often compelling for people who don’t know any better. However, it is the person who wishes to attempt to exploit others for their own gain, who is at fault in those circumstances.

Two examples immediately come to mind - one was the circumstances in which a speaker from the UK was giving a talk on the future of education in Ireland -

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/103016999#Comment_103016999

The other is the reality of the future of education in Ireland -

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/118304366#Comment_118304366

• Registered Users Posts: 13,483 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Every one of those Knights was a practicing Catholic like you, however. They weren't denied communion, unlike Nancy Pelosi who recently was denied such by the Bishop of San Francisco. Is this bishop a Christian? Were the priests who gave communion to the Templars, Christians?

The Hierarchy of the Church is only beginning to ask itself some long overdue questions. Like a lot of not practicing what they preach, the Hierarchy are only beginning to focus on their own attitudes towards the faithful who have departed the Church in droves -

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-58862935.amp

I don’t think things are as simple though as assuming that any rise in ET schools, the direction is only going one way, or that continuing advancements in science are having any influence to hasten the decline of the Church in Ireland. The Church is doing a fine job of that all on it’s own 😂

Seriously though, while I understand the desire to believe that people are gravitating towards an alternative model of education, and the desire to believe that people are becoming more scientific-minded, progress on that front is a hell of a lot slower than evidence which suggests people are just becoming more isolated and disconnected from each other, finding comfort in online echo chambers which validate their beliefs about the nature of reality as they see it from their perspective.

Doesn't answer my question - would you be happy to it or not? And itd not a state tax - the state doesn't get the money! State taxes pay for state services, relgious tax pays for religious services.

Regular collections are voluntary, anyway.

I'm going to take this as a "no" as you've dodged it twice now, which begets the crux of the issue: you think you're entitled to something that you think someone else should pay for.

Case closed there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭housetypeb

Surely you can console yourself by believing that atheists are all acting out part of Gods plan? Put there by upper management to test your simple faith with niggling questions that force you to examine and think about your beliefs in the company product.

you think you're entitled to something that you think someone else should pay for.

That’s not what’s happening though? Education is provided for out of public funds, everyone is entitled to it.

Taxpayers aren’t paying for any public services. Government decides in it’s budget how much will be spent, and where it will be spent, in the interests of the common good of Irish society.

The whole “I don’t want my taxes paying for your children’s education” argument, is just dumb.

But they dont test with "niggling questions" nor force me to think about my beliefs.

The sum of their combined efforts would only summon a fly swat. But sure, let them be I suppose. If it reassures their intellectual superiority complex, it can only mean they won't be a further drain on our health services - especially those for mental health.

• Advertisement

I am all for separation of church and state. I think the sooner the better.

Let the state buy the buildings used for health and education at the market rate and provide the services that were given either freely or at a reduced rate.

Advertisement