Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

Especially one who managed a whopping 0.8% in the last election and was second last at the polls in his constituency.

Good to see his stance is not supported by many, indeed, the same story applies for pretty much all of the National Party folks when they try get elected.....to anything

Still, at least he managed more than the party leader who managed 0.7% (less than 200 votes out of 22k voters) in his last attempt

• Registered Users Posts: 25,271 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

id like to see any government put this crap directly in its manifesto and get elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

They don't put this mass migration in their manifestos and keep a lid on it as much as possible around a polling day. Why do you think that is.

They know right well what they are doing and hoping (correctly so far) that the electorate are distracted and self centered enough not to notice or care.

That's what happened in Britain and France and now you have 40-60% of the electorate saying eventually enough is enough. But it is getting very late and out of hand before the electorate eventually reacts and expects someone to fix things for them. Watch those countries and learn.

McEntee et al. won’t ever need to rely on their family or themselves ‘needing’…

public healthcare be it inpatient, outpatient, mental health, physiotherapy… whatever

public transport

public housing…

she earns a six figure salary… so she is not going to rely on the state. For anything.

those hundreds of thousands of Irish people or millions over time that will… good luck, you are on your own..

She's done great work on the regularisation Scheme so she's alright inside my book. Not everyone's cup of tea but then who is

• Advertisement

This can only be a good thing, delighted to see such diversity gradually coming into our political spheres

But she’s done nothing for the taxpayers that pay her wages, quite the opposite courtesy of that scheme.. so she’s not alright within mine :)

Many of those folks had pps #'s and were paying tax and the ones without pps or otherwise are now able to pay tax as they can become normal members of the workforce, so, yeah, she's done great by expanding the pool of taxpayers. Good result imho

Contrary to what the media say I think Helen McEntee is in for a big shock next election. Her name is synonymous with the acceleration of multiculturalism and most recently our open doors/uncapped reception of refugees. Whatever people think about a few people on "boards" whining and giving out, I can tell you that nobody in my family which is very large, in-laws, work colleagues, friends or acquaintances is supportive of the unlimited and fast tracking of supports to Ukranian families. It is one thing to offer them refuge here in Ireland, whether that is in mass centers, convents, military barracks, unused hospitals....... it is quite another thing to fast track them for housing, medical cards, university grants, all social welfare payments, schools, free buses and jobs.

A wealthy friend of mine has taken a family of 8 into his house in Kerry as they could not get into the UK (where he has 2 other houses ). He flew them to Ireland and is putting them up. On day 2 they got social welfare benefits for 8, medical cards, food parcels and the choice of either a house in Tralee city for 8 or a house in Kenmare for 8. They have already said they will settle in Ireland for good. He is thrilled and says Ireland is great and came up trumps with all the benefits for this family .He himself owns 3 houses and pays NO tax in Ireland!

How on earth was a house for a family of 8 found so quickly?? On another thread today on Boards an Irish man and his wife who both work full time and 2 kids, are being kicked out of their rental house in a month, because the LL is selling up. They simply cannot get anywhere else to live, they are trying everything, constantly ringing estate agents, putting up ads.......they are now talking about becoming homeless and sleeping in the car. Both of these people work, in good jobs!! Why can a choice of 2 houses be found for a Ukranian family but nothing for an Irish family?? Helen McEntee has created a monster and people will not forget this.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The "dozens" were raised earlier in the thread and roundly debated and a goodly number of the postives were shown to be nebulous indeed. Plus said positives were almost entirely around migrants that entered a country legally with jobs and lives hitting the ground running. And the vast majority of the case studies involved nations like the US, nations based on immigration. And even there large holes in the argument were pretty clear. An example of one positive was if you have a diverse workforce you can better sell goods and services to a diverse population. An internal argument if ever there was one. Plus the same studies were quite silent on the negatives. Well not such a shock.

Diversity!! At all costs!! But we don't really know why!! And like I said it's almost a faith with some and like the fervent it can stray into looking to get a rise from the unbelievers, because they're not going to heaven. It can be terribly happy clappy. Again it's pretty much all based on exoticism, charity and we were migrants once, with a sideorder of winding up the "Looming Right", but remarkably little beyond that. Save for too often throwing the toys outa the pram when some have no real answers to basic questions beyond the credo above. I suspect much like faith because the opinion comes secondhand and isn't internally debated or questioned. In many ways this thread has shown that.

And as I noted earlier on I have been genuinely quite surprised on that front. I really did think there would be far better arguments for a politic that has become such a cast iron given and Accepted Truth in Western societies.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

How does an illegal immigrant, my apologies "undocumented person" get a PPS number? The only way I can see is if they got one legally after they legally came to this country and then illegally stayed on. Y'know, a criminal act. The ones working without a PPS number were part of a wider illegal act, them and their cash in hand employers. But let's reward criminality with a passport cos diversity.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

The problems with Ukrainian refugees begin to mount with a surge in asylum seekers from other countries .

https://www.businesspost.ie/news/ukrainians-to-be-moved-out-of-dublin-hotel-to-make-room-for-asylum-seekers/

the hotel bill must be astronomical as this stage, someone is making a nice profit off it

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

The words spreading that Ireland is an even softer touch than originally thought- hence the surge in “asylum” applications. In sure Mcentee will be along with some virtue signalling to smooth it all over soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,362 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I love Ireland, I really do.

But when I hear about a surge of illegal bogus asylum-seekers, drawn here by the crazy policies of the GP and others in Govt, to promise them own-door accomm, and then I think about the 52% marginal income tax rate I face on any extra income, I despair.

I consider that I contribute to society, I try to "play by the rules", I feel that I go beyond the normal output in my job.

My household income is below the average for my household composition, yet still I face a 52% marginal income tax rate.

I can see why some people get angry, and others say why bother working.

I was raised to work and contribute, and I am happy to pay tax (but not 52% marginal for people below median earnings).

But I want my taxes to go to infrastructure, not to bogus asylum-seekers who in reality are economic migrants.

You sometimes think Ministers McEntee and O'Gorman think they are playing with monopoly money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Cordell

Well I'm happy to report that the bangladeshi muslim that got elected in Limerick is just as useless as any politician :)

Contrary to what the media say I think Helen McEntee is in for a big shock next election.

I don't think it really matters. There are so many "crisis's" ongoing, with more in the pipeline, that the political party leadership will be aware that they can keep playing smoke and mirrors for a long time yet. McEntee is still being heavily promoted both online and in the media as the poserchild of modern Ireland, and there's a lot of people who still get most of their information from RTE, and associated traditional content. There's been very little coverage in our media for any of the downsides of what she's proposed or sought to implement, and nothing coming from the political opposition, in any kind of constructive manner.

In fact, I see my parents whenever the various opposition groups or spokespeople start speaking, and they shut off completely. The opposition in this country complains so much about minor affairs, and in such an inept annoying manner, that most people I've spoken to, don't pay attention to them anymore, except when it relates to local issues... and even then, it's taken with a hefty pinch of disregard. And then, there's RTE, with people knowing that their news is being sugar-coated, but there being a grim apathy about seeking news elsewhere. There's a hesitant hope remaining that RTE will pull their heads out of the political asses, but in reality, I think most of the electorate have given up.

There have been so many scandals, and negligent practices regarding politicians in this country over the last twenty years, and very little has come from it. Those same politicians are simply shifted around a few times, disappearing from the public eye for a while, and then springing back to be given some position that isn't determined by the electorate.

Next election, McEntee will do fine. The same people who voted her in, will continue to do so.. and she's gained on the feminists with her slating all men as being threats to women. Her immigration topics and lack of deportations have been given the glowing seal of approval by RTE, activists.. and they're far more vocal than the people who criticise her policies... Considering the efforts of the last five years to reinforce the impression that Ireland is a racist nation, and the serious need for a wide range of hate speech laws, our politicians and the legal community, have served notice to anyone who wants to complain about immigrants, the government policies, or whatever. TBH It's remarkably similar to the start of a police state, or simply a return to DeValeras Ireland of censorship, and heavy social conditioning.

She's going to be Taoiseach, and likely President before her career ends. The electorate will continue to be bullied, guilt-tripped, and emotionally manipulated (along with the continued cherry-picking by RTE about the news).. because it works.

Honestly, I'm quite hopeful that our foreign born population starts speaking out against our political parties. The Poles, Ukrainians, and other Eastern Europeans are well experienced with this kind of State propaganda, along with the corruption that goes with it. Same with our SE Asian community.

Cause if you're waiting for the Irish (native Irish) electorate to put it to our politicians, including McEntee, I think we'll have to wait until all the shite that's hit Europe really starts manifesting itself here too. Of course, by then, it will be too late to do anything about it.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

I was wondering how the govt would get on with placing all the Ukrainian kids, given capacity issues are often heard of in schools in certain areas, but it's good to see that there haven't been any major issues so far. It's important that the educational prospects for these kids don't suffer as a result of Putin. Thankfully Ireland has been able to assist over 6,000 kids at this point, likely more as time goes on.

RTE news : No issue with school places for refugees - Foley

Numbers of Asylum seekers, including the bogus ones who get past the initial screening process, are still relatively low compared to other nations. In fact, even if you take the entire numbers of Asylum seekers over a decade, the numbers aren't scary. The costs involved are ridiculous, but that's mostly due to the NGOs, the legal profession, the State advisors/consultants, etc. Personally, I wouldn't list Asylum seekers as being a particularly important issue.. compared with the range of other immigration into this country.

TBH I always think the focus people have on Asylum takes away from the heaps of people who come in as refugees, but will also receive a range of supports either directly from the State, or through the NGOs (who are funded by the State). But even more importantly, the actual economic immigrants, who are not equipped in education or financially to support themselves in a first world nation, but have still been allowed into the country.. and considering our rather retarded history regarding deportations... yeah. Covid ensured that everyone with an expiring visa during that period was automatically renewed.. even with a shrinking low-skilled economy during the covid period, all those visas were renewed. Just boggles the mind, the logic at play in the minds of our politicians and the public service.

So, I would suggest that you widen your gaze a fair bit, because Asylum seekers just receive the most media attention.. but in reality, there's far more being spent on other migrant groups.

As for being raised to contribute... I used to think that way too. We should be helping the weakest members of our society, and giving a helping hand to those temporary out of work. Yup. However.. When I lost my job just after the banking crash, still needing to pay my mortgage, and faced a series of serious problems, I turned to the State for a helping hand. The previous twenty years of tax being paid, surely would have entitled me to some help? Nope. Nadda. In fact, they penalised me further because I didn't default on my mortgage, and I faced even more problems from them... So.. nope. I don't have that belief in contributing anymore.

I've come to the opinion that the both the Government and the State are here to screw us. If you're not part of a disadvantaged/protected group, or part of some extended political family, then you're simply here to support everyone else. 🤪

i used to love Ireland but as it’s identity changes, as we become less intertwined with a country that had the backs of its citizens as a priority and instead is just now a place.. less connected to democracy, less working for and prioritizing it’s citizens….

as you say our taxes are no longer being used to be prioritising the wellbeing, happiness, safety and successes of Irish citizens and Ireland as a country….

we are living from day to day and seeing capital projects… absolutely nowhere on the government’s agendas… metro ? No clue or interest in addressing that colossal fûckup… 2035 is the rumoured revision completion date…

after covid maybe now tell us ? Nope.. because billions are to be spent on this Ukrainian bailout. Wouldn’t be surprised if it was canceled… it’s already going to be fücking out of date technology wise and size wise not fit for the population it will now endeavour to serve..

we see the likes of McEntee, Leo et al… proud as punch that they can deliver extra population to this island but could not care two fücks as to the cost to the citizens who will pay for this.. financially, socially or logistically..or our safety and happiness… doesn’t entertain their brains…. They’ll be ok…

the reality for the rest of us..fück.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Cordell

You can be excused for believing that, but they can't be excused for having "it'll be grand" as the whole and only plan.

They? The govt? If so, then it's not the "whole and only plan", far from it, as seen by the regularisation Scheme, the winding down of direct provision, the rapid scaling up of resources to address the influx of Ukrainian refugees and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Lol. Philip Dwyer. "Citizen Journalist" AKA Violent racist thug and animal abuser who was too extreme for the national (nazi) party. Theres no other source of these abuse stories. He probably made them up.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

It's likely, its amazing what you can get away with saying if you keep saying "allegedly" but in the off chance that there is any truth in it, personally I'll wait for the results of any Garda investigation rather than, ya know, Philip and his mob and that particularly sinister type of justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Yeah just working people with nowhere to rent, more and more kids stuck with their parents till late 30s, little chance of a home for a single person, people leaving form as there is no school place nearby for their children and increasing emigration of well educated people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

You're not a big fan of history then I take it? Because it isn't always grand. It's beyond ignorant to say otherwise.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058246851/becoming-homeless-with-full-time-job#latest

Tell this man "it will be grand". Both him and his wife working full time, 2 kids, being kicked out by landlord as landlord is selling up, cant find a house anywhere, he is desperate, soon they will be homeless and sleeping in the car! This is a hardworking Irish couple, paid all their taxes here! Meanwhile a friend of mine who has taken in a family of 8 to Kerry from Ukraine has already been offered a choice of TWO houses in for them! Something wrong here.

There are ALWAYS issues to be sorted, that has ALWAYS been the case, since the formation of the state and it will never change. Its one of the best things about this country, we are always striving to do better.

Previously it was high unemployment after the crash, sorted now.

Before that it was negative equity, sorted now.

Before that it was high house prices, err ok fair enough, that's a basket case and the only way to fix it is for the govt to become a builder.

But by n large, things typically work out. Sure there's bumps along the way, but cest la vie.

• Advertisement

Given the exact same trends happen in every single "multicultural" Western nation, across different cultures, with different politics and across generations it's more than beyond ignorant, it's positively delusional. Like I said it's more a religious fervour than a politic.

The vast majority of countries "strive to do better". Thinking otherwise is like those yahoos who consider the American Dream(tm) an amazing outlier, when the rest of the civilised world calls it a basic life aspiration.

And yep there are always issues to be sorted. But AGAIN, why set out to deliberately import more issues with near zero public consultation, issues that AGAIN every single "multicultural" Western nation has and continues to deal with? Never mind doing so for extremely dubious and narrow "positives" that seem remarkably hard to quantify beyond exoticism, charity and some daft if laudable hope that somehow it'll be different this time.

Oh and thinking things typically work out and improve is again laudibly optimistic, but that thinking is quite the recent thing. History has shown that things can go either way. Have we reset history to some degree? I would hope so, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Advertisement