Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Radio 1: The Ryan Tubridy Show

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Red Fred

Well I suppose the kind part of this is that at least the terminally ill man didn't have to share a car/ bus/train with Tubs and listen to stories of his jolly japes for the duration of the journey back to Dublin (Ireland).

Featuring in some comedic version of Blade Runner:

His Voight - Kamf test is going to be deliciously interesting.

Tyrell won't be killed and no cops will die

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

“My whole being is about making people happy,” DeGeneres told the Hollywood Reporter of the allegations on confirming that her popular variety program would conclude next year. “And with the talk show, all I cared about was spreading kindness and compassion, and everything I stand for was being attacked. So, it destroyed me, honestly. I’d be lying if I said it didn’t.”

• I sum him up in my mind as a reasonably benign and vacuous narcissist. The main harm he does is take a massive amount from the state for delivering very little. Seems to be a good father to his girls, but not good as a partner as far as I can make out (likely the mild narcissistic traits are difficult to live with) but only those who have been close could testify. He seems always too distracted to put in research in any form, and feels it’s his prerogative to work as little for as much revenue and personal freedom & free time as he can, taking as many short-cuts as he can get away with. Seeking freebies and promoting his bucket list is a kind of mild addiction, receiving said items or services is a personal affirmation, which he feels the need to discuss on an ongoing basis.

A narcissist, but not of the dangerous type once you wouldn’t allow yourself to become emotionally involved on a one-to-one personal basis, as you’d be in for a psychologically damaging let-down. Your kids might imagine he is the kind all-year-round Santa Claus figure, the Toy Man, and so long as you don’t reveal the truth that this character doesn’t actually exist in real life, your kids won’t get too hurt. His main kick lies in having wider popularity and he reacts very poorly to any opinions that might counter this notion. Rather than brush them aside with “nobody can be popular with everyone, that’s life” he attacks his detractors from as many little angles on popular media and in social media as he can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭StevenToast

For the few Tubridy fans knocking around...

Why dont you tell us what you like about Tubridy?

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

RTÉ Radio 1

• Morning Ireland is the most-listened-to radio programme in the country with 450,000 people tuning in each morning.
    • The Brendan O’Connor Show on Saturday morning is the second most listened to radio programme in the country, with 366,000 listeners, and 329,000 listeners tune in to the programme every Sunday morning.
    • The Ryan Tubridy Show with 359,000 listeners is the third most-listened-to programme in Ireland.
    • 346,000 listeners are tuning in every weekday to Liveline with Joe Duffy, making it the fourth most listened to programme on radio in Ireland.
    • 340,000 listeners tune in to Today with Claire Byrne on weekdays and is in the Top 5 most listened to radio programmes in Ireland at number 5.
    • News at One with Bryan Dobson has an audience of 329,000 listeners every weekday lunchtime.
    • The Ray D’Arcy Show broadcasts to 210,000 listeners each weekday afternoon.
    • Drivetime with Sarah McInerney and Cormac Ó hEadhra has an audience of 224,000 listeners every weekday evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Interesting.

I suppose at the end of the day like most media radio is a numbers game.

Hard to argue with numbers like that.

Just a footnote to Charlie Bird's great achievement on Croagh Patrick.

On the Friday after his climb he had a half page ad in the Irish Times (kindly sponsored by the IT) thanking everyone for their help.

It included a lovely picture of himself and Tiger the dog.

Being the gentleman that he his Charlie didn't thank any supporters or participants by name.

He did however say -

"Also a special thank you to all at the Late Late Show for their unbelievable support ...."

That was the overall result for 2021. Since then Tubridy has put on another 7,000 listeners, and risen to second place.

Even the people who only tune in to hear him swallowing saliva are counted.

• Advertisement

• ”it’s a disgrace to criticise Bryan, lawyers might soo if you doo”.

“Bad eggs gets broken legs”

• Very very simple answer to that. At awakening people push the radio button on to get the latest news, and our national broadcaster has a decent news service and sone thing of a discussion after. People dress, make breakfast, get on with business. By 9am often the business of the day is already ongoing, and often people will have the radio on low whilst going about work, home-keeping, in the car, and they maintain a reasonably good news station on by default. Too much else to do if you have an old fashioned (superb sound) radio such as myself.

It’s background noise to me and many others, it continues by mere default of what was on previously. Yeah I miss a lot, but some more absurd things garner my attention, and I really wonder at people who allege to enjoy the content. I personally know of one person who thinks he’s “a bit silly but harmless, ok and promotes kindness”. Sadly that person is too genuinely kind themselves to notice it is showmanship

I am not one of those people, and it is an old myth about large numbers leaving their radios tuned to the same station all day. The national broadcaster has less than 50% of the listening audience in all time slots, in all regions, and in all age groups. I make choices about what I listen to, and I credit everyone else with being able to do the same.

Liveline 346,000 followed by D'Arcy with 210,000 is an example of people making a choice. Even Morning Ireland gets only about 11% of the available audience. The rest are listening to other stations, or doing something other than listening to the radio.

Oh this again.

Ok, the Pat Kenny example. Though he has some flaws and blind spots Pat would be considered to be, by far, the best radio host in the country. When Pat left RTÉ however the slot he occupied didn’t nosedive when Sean O’Rourke took it over, it actually grew. It’s taken Pat a decade to grow his audience on Newstalk despite intense promotion for the first few years by Newstalk across all media platforms. Listeners did not as Newstalk hoped simply “move the dial” and follow him. Inertia is a real thing in radio. but you likely think if Tubs left RTÉ he’d bring each and every one of those listeners with him, right?

The figures I’d like to see are the ones for when the host is on holidays, but of course we never get to see those, do we? Why? Because I’d be willing to bet they’re practically identical if not higher - at a fraction of the cost.

Tomorrow morning will you be listening to Pat? Or will you be here at 9 o'clock giving out about what Tubridy is saying?

• I don’t have a remote control for my radio which is perched up on a shelf, so bound to catch some of Tubridy after News/Morning Ireland as I eat breakfast.

• This is my living room radio, decades old, absolutely superb sound quality. Old fashioned dial, it’s not a matter of pressing a button to change stations. Hence inertia when I’m having breakfast or going about things, I would have to interrupt what I’m doing, reach up to radio, and carefully find another station. So I tend to leave it where it is as I have breakfast, before maybe going out or whatever.

Then I have become used to it being car-crash radio, it kind of became fun rather than an irritation, especially with a thread with people who make the same observations.

I used to work in a public interface, where customers would very often comment on what’s on the media. Tubridy was viewed with a lot of skepticism, “he’s irritating, something not natural about him”.

• It’s not an old myth though. I generally am quite a techy person, but I’m more than satisfied with my old-fashioned radio for its quality of sound. Oh yeah, I could set up with an Alexa set-up switching station if I purchase a piece of new equipment, but I have other spending priorities. There’s very very many people like me. Having discovered Boards threads, I’m more content and interested to hear what I’m paying my license fee and taxes for.

• When Oliver is on, I actually listen without that skepticism filter, as he carries on the general format of the show as it should be.

• It would be professional suicide to do Hobbidy when you have a gig filling in for him. Especially that Hobbidy wouldn’t view it with a sense of humour or good grace the way others in the business might, indeed many in show business would view it as a very good publicity to be impersonated by a comedian.

I’d love to see McSavage do an impersonation of his cousin, though. It won’t be allowed, I’d say said cousin has alluded to a certain response should that happen in any of his comedic endeavours.

• Advertisement

It was Tubridy's used of the word Delicious to describe a fire, which set off the discussion which led to the Pantaloons post. I sense a continuing reluctance on the thread by some to accept that this is a perfectly good use of language. It goes back for hundreds of years. It may or may not influence people to hear the same usage on the BBC. Listen just before 47:15 and just after 48 minutes, a Delicious story and the most Delicious bizarre of ironies.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0017k43

As usual, you completely avoid the main point of the post to suit your own narrative. Are you completely incapable of answering a question when asked, or on commenting on a point made without deflection? I’m deliciously curious.

Post edited by ButtersSuki on

• With Tubridy it is one of his limited array of affectations. It doesn’t come over too well on Irish radio.

• His smugness knows no bounds, he’s going nowhere as according to himself he could do the stint for quite sone portion yet of its next sixty years. Then why did they chop it short?

You are still running that old "inertia" myth that people can't make a choice of what they like, or even worse they don't know how to tune to different stations. By your reckoning John Creedon with 50,000 listeners would be getting the same as Morning Ireland, if people were that stupid.

No, I didn’t say anything of the sort. The Kenny example is real, and he’s by far the biggest name to have changed sides as it were in media in Ireland.

You are implying it’s the name - rather than the station and time slot that attracts the listeners - the PK example disproves that.

Or are you seriously going to contend that if Tubs moved to Newstalk that he’d take each and every one of those listeners with him? Will you answer that question for us please? I bet you won’t - as usual.

But you interrupt what you are doing,to login to boards,and post about listening to someone you hate..You would have the station changed quicker if you really wanted to!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

There are plenty of people all over the country that don't change their radios from RTE 1 and I'd suggest it is mainly elderly people, a lot of elderly people - My mam was one of them. The radio went on at say, 08:30 and stayed on til about 16:00.

It was background noise for her - kept her company during the day. If I had asked her what was Tubs talking about earlier or who was on, she probably wouldn't know. If she was polled, it would have been yes to - MI, Tubs, Today with..., RC, News, Liveline. A truly great result for RTE's figs. John Creedon wouldn't have scored a hit as the ma was watching TV by then. An elderly uncle would have been the same. Seriously, it's not quantum physics we're talking about here. 'Myth' my arse.

I'm certainly not gullible or stupid enough to just accept the JNLR figs as gospel. This is Ireland after all and there are hundreds of millions sloshing around the entertainment industry and plenty of greedy people trying to get their slice. An entertainment industry that is not exactly renowned for its transparency btw

Post edited by Gen.Zhukov on

Yeah it’s such an arduous task to do that. 🙄

Seriously, is it RTÉ or NK Management you guys work for? I hope it’s the latter as at least that would excuse some of your blatant “sh*thousery”.

• Advertisement

I see we are into full blown conspiracy theory mode now about the JNLR. And because one person does not change stations, that somehow becomes plenty of elderly people around the country.

As predicted…..question unanswered. 🙄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

While I don't agree with dxhound's defence of the DLB, I think it is a bit unfair to take him/her task for not answering questions. He/she is certainly not the only poster in the radio threads not to answer questions when asked about the basis for his/her assertions about various presenters.

Their contributions make yours look like you’re actually contributing.

• Advertisement

Some interesting comments on radio switching inertia.

It used to be known as "milking parlor"/"waiting room" radio.

I'm sure an element of it still exists but it's also true that modern radios are easier to switch than ever with things like Alexa and steering wheel controls in cars.

Also there is more choice nowadays with all the local FM stations, several commercial national stations and a wide choice on the internet as well.

I wonder if there are there any statistics regarding which stations are more likely to be affected by switching inertia?

If there are large numbers of "inertia" listeners, then they will be captured in the figures. It is their listening choice, same as any one of us here who choose what to listen to. If someone can challenge the JNLR figures with their own "inertia" figures go ahead. But it has to be more than just anecdotal information from one household. The JNLR methodology is well tested, and again if the conspiracy theorists have alternative numbers, they can present them here.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/radio-body-jnlr-keeps-faith-with-existing-measurement-method-1.3874303

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

The only sure way to tell is if streaming ever becomes the main platform-rather than OTA, be it analogue or DAB (in some form).

To my mind, the JNLR's are a joke-not necessarily because of how the data is gathered, but because of how it is treated thereafter.

Every mickey mouse outfit up and down the country triumphantly harrumphs the results as a success as they are released.

It's like modern education-as Errol Brown put it, "Everyone's a winner baby, that's the truth."

Just to add to my post, inertia listeners who by definition never change stations will give the same data quarter by quarter. They will not affect the increase or decrease in individual results, e.g. the extra 7,000 Tubridy got in the last count.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

A couple of simple queries to anyone who cares to answer or not;

-Do you think he's worth the money, as in, quality aside, he represents value for the station and the brand?

-Do you think he's committed to his work?

-Do you find him an engaged and likeable personality, akin to for example, Terry Wogan, Graham Norton or, even on his day, Gay?

My own view is, none of the above-and wholeheartedly so.

• Advertisement

They either won’t answer or they’ll say his audience numbers and the advertising revenue his show generates mean he is worth it. They’ll most likely mention The Toy Show then as an advertising bonanza - which it seems is the only reason that show exists any more. This of course ignores the elephant in the room in that we never see what the costs associated with each of the shows and whether they even cover their costs let alone turn a profit. I’m sure The Toy Show makes money, but does TLLS as a series cover it’s costs when all of the costs associated with the show (esp. staff) are counted? Same argument with the radio show. What is the full set of costs associated with this production? What is the Iceland freebie (free to Tubs, nor us) costing for example between flights, food and drink, accommodation for not just Tubs but the team that will no doubt accompany him?

When you then point out that Joe Duffy for example has almost no paid advertising on his show they go silent. Duffy’s fees are gargantuan, and his show seems to have endless count of producers and researchers. When you add in all the Outside Broadcasts and the fees to the star talent (lol) on FunnyFryday etc. I would seriously doubt that show breaks even.

"rooks and ravens get bad press" - maybe they could get NK to represent them? Or better still dxhound, elperello, and Chakra Blue?

After his ill-fated pronouncements on when the pandemic was ending and when we were opening up etc. over the last few years you think he'd stay away from medical matters?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Did he just say he's off again next week.?

Or did I mishear him.

• I’m not elderly… yet… but working on it. Radio for most people is background company, especially if you are living on your own, or for people who mainly work with their hands.

I had to take a call but thought I heard something alright. Well it is his birthday next week - and that Macca concert is on in Orlando on Saturday from memory. So it would make sense.............I wonder who ponied up for the gig? Free tickets from the record company and maybe a free flight from Aer Lingus.

• He informs us Monkey Pox is now affecting people who look like us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

“Good on you” for going to Athenry heritage centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Kildare1976

"The world is dark at the momemt"

Maybe for him.... Karma must be coming back to bite him

• Advertisement
Advertisement