Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Supreme Court to overturn Roe vs Wade

Options

Comments

They are willing to accept results of contraception failing.

It's called an abortion.

So yeah, being forced to have it

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Sean.3516

What are you even talking about?

Also, the result of contraception failing is called....... conception.

That's literally what the word "contraception" means. Against conception. Contra is latin for against.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭volchitsa

I go skiing. I fall and break a leg. I have an operation to fix my leg. Therefore I had an operation as a result of skiing.

Nobody tells me I have to just put up with the broken leg and not get pins in it because I knew that I might have an accident while skiing. They don’t even look at whether or not my carelessness led to my fall before deciding what treatment I’m alllowed.

Now apply that to having sex, getting pregnant and dealing with the pregnancy by having an abortion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,014 ✭✭✭Christy42

Because if you own life is barely scraping by then adding a child to the mix is not going to enable to get back on their feet. Or look after their other children. I would be against late term abortions without medical need but would need to consult with a doctor on what would constitute medical needs. Certainly medical staff involved in pregnancy and the medical issues around it should be heavily consulted in any laws to do with abortion. In the US pregnancy and birth is crazy expensive. Children are massively expensive to take care of. They hinder the ability of the mother to work so I have no idea how all this money is meant to appear from nothing. I can't also for see every reason for an abortion and have never been in that situation so I feel like legislating every situation is pretty impossible. Ask anyone from a clinic, they get plenty of "pro life" people in but those are always some "exception" to the rule.

I am pro choice but also in favour of implementing things that will reduce the number of abortions. Also all forms of child support should be available as soon as abortion is not an option. I mean lets at least be consistent on when something is a child, I mean anti choice people keep talking about an unborn child but I don't think I have seen this implemented. it isn't like there aren't costs before it is born.

Why are you so heavily trying to dodge the case of rape in abortions? Certainly not the most common but it is large enough that it should be legislated for. That is why it keeps coming up again. Will it be in every state? Rape is pretty difficult to prove generally so are you willing to simply take the word of the woman?

People are people and people will end up having sex. Sex education should be a part of everyone's education and contraceptives easily available. Yes it is just paying lip service. That seems pretty obvious, I don't get the sudden not caring about an actual baby that has been born. Especially as it is only going to be a law for poor people as the rest will have nice out of state camping trips.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,583 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

It's because the meedja is hiding all of it because they're all radical left WOKE boogeypeople

• Registered Users Posts: 83,407 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Must be working overtime to hide it from even the right wing blogosphere

I'm sure they'll magic something up and the usual suspects will be here to tell us about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I read most of the judges on the supreme Court are now Catholic, so basically all laws in the USA will now be judged as to how does agree with Catholic Church doctrine even if they do not say it out loud, American citizens have no right to privacy, if you follow this logic republicans will maybe make some forms of contraception illegal . Imagine how Irish people would feel if most Irish judges were Jewish of some other religion.and Irish law about women's rights were being changed to follow some religious doctrine that 90 per cent of Irish people do not believe in

I'm making a point I'm not trying to be anti Jewish or racist in any way

Most Americans s are not Catholic , 70 per cent of americans are in favour of abortion and the right to use contraception

What will happen is women's rights in states controlled by republicans will be severely limited

it will be like living in Ireland in The 70s if you live in Texas southern states and republicans are saying its not a big deal if roe vs wade is defeated

The democrats and Biden are low in the polls due to inflation. High Price of gas petrol and they can hardly pass bills in the senate or congress

in the midst of pandemic war in Ukraine the whole issue of climate change is being forgotten the price of basic goods is rising partly due to shortage of water drought

high temps in certain country's is starting to effect agricultural production

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,583 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Interesting study about women denied abortion due to exceeding gestational limits. Worse health outcomes and socioeconomic results than those who were able to obtain abortions.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2022/05/15/1098347992/a-landmark-study-tracks-the-lasting-effect-of-having-an-abortion-or-being-denied?utm_campaign=npr&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_term=nprnews&utm_medium=social

Some highlights:

We see a couple of areas where their lives dramatically diverge in outcomes [from women who got abortions]. The first is health. Consistent with the medical literature, carrying a pregnancy to term and delivering a child is much more physically risky than having an abortion, even a later abortion. We see much more severe physical health complications from birth, including most tragically, two women who died after delivery — one died of an infection and one died of a very common pregnancy complication.

The sample ended up looking very closely like the population of people who seek abortions nationally. So 60% of the women were already mothers. About half were in their 20s, which is typical. About three-quarters were already below the federal poverty level at the time they were seeking an abortion.

The people who seek abortions later in pregnancy were not substantively different from the people seeking abortion earlier, with the exception that they tended to have been a lot later in realizing they were pregnant....

Thomas looking to finally talk ****

He's popular for rarely asking questions in oral arguments

Now he wants to beef with the media. Oh yeah that will fix the courts public image.

Are Republicans looking to pivot from calling the leak 'an insurrection?'

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Does the inside track tell them it was a GOP supporter that leaked the info?

Oklahoma legislature has passed a bill outlawing abortion from conception, it is expected to be signed in agreement by the Governor.

The bill includes provisions similar to the TX law that effectively deputize all citizens, but barr all state officials, from enforcing the law, thereby doing a sidestep around the violation of civil rights.

Rape, incest, and saving the life of the mother are excluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dingaan

Not a position I would support, however if the elected officials of Oklahoma decide this is the legislation they want then so be it.

There is, nothing unconstitutional about writing unconstitutional laws. So yeah, it's the consequence of elections.

I would love to see how they are making exceptions for rape and incest work in a legal context. Will women have to prove their pregnancy was as a result of incest or rape or just have to make a report?

What if a report is made but police don't proceed with it?

Evil GOP bastards strike again.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

It’s a question which was asked as soon as the leak happened. There is no criminal offense attached to the leak. The Marshal’s investigation can’t do more than result in a firing.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,072 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Really? Have a miscarriage, go to jail. Already happening in Latin America.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Advertisement

It was linked to in the article:

https://legiscan.com/OK/text/HB4327/2022

When I skimmed it earlier I saw rape reported to police, I didn't see eg. a requirement for conviction or anything heinously illogical (any court case takes months, but typically years)

I confess to not noting what Matt Gaetz initially said about on the day or morning after of. If he was Fire and Brimstone but now is suddenly Boys will be Boys or otherwise softening his rhetoric, (which is what I mistook it as at face value at least if that's not what it is) then it looks as if like he's either learned something knew or realized he needs to cover his party's ass in case it does turn out to be one of theirs.

I don't really think Gaetz actually cares for the legality or not. I doubt you think he cares either. As soon as the leak came out there were hyperbolic comments on the leak being a massive deal as opposed to the content itself. Now they are obviously less sure which side leaked it (or think it is a Republican) and so they need to soften the rhetoric there.

Completely missed this.

Guess it confirms my suspicions all along.

Now, who in the name of Ginni Thomas could it have been?

If you read the leaked document from the supreme court, it basically says people have no right to privacy,under the constitution, so if

argument is accepted , then it follows that the republican party, could take legal action to reduce acess to contraception , or make certain

contraceptives illegal, eg iuds, or the morning after pill.or for instance it could be made illegal to sell condoms to anyone under 18. in states like texas police could start surveillance on womens social media, or look at what they buy on amazon, eg if you know what a woman buys or what website,s , apps she uses that could be a good indication whether she is pregnant. Many extreme republicans would like to go back to the 50s, when womens rights were very limited, and it was not so easy to obtain contraceptives as it is now.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I think that's the bit that people aren't really getting.

It's the potentially un-intended consequences of the change.

Aside from the immediate and obvious impact to Abortion services , the potential for all kinds of messing not just by Ultra Conservative right wingers is pretty significant.

If the "right to privacy" is no longer protected under the constitution who else could take advantage of that - Law Enforcement ? , "Big Tech"?? Stalkers??

I am not so sure about unintended consequences. Unadvertised changes might be more accurate. There have been some minor politicians in the GOP raising voices in the direction of contraceptives.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

That's a bit of a stretch. The Fourth Amendment is still a thing, I don't see anything indicating that the various privacy protections from law enforcement is going to change. As for the other two, the federal US courts do not currently protect against privacy intrusions by big tech or stalkers anyway. Constitutional protections are not applied against private entities, the bill of rights is really a list of "things the government cannot do".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Isn't stopping at Roe vs Wade. Thus is a Trump endorsed candidate in Michigan btw

https://mobile.twitter.com/leftofcentermi/status/1527390618984402944

If the right to privacy is gone it leaves the way open to ban certain contraceptives and gives permission to police to look at anyones data, eg is this woman visiting planned parenthood is this person helping a woman to travel or donating to medical services that provide abortion right wing Conservatives are getting ready to pass laws that maybe gives anyone the right to sue anyone who helps a woman travel to get an abortion

And of course police will be able to go to isps or Google apple and demand data that might show this person is helping a woman get an abortion or even just giving a person information on contraceptives or other medical procedures right now the police can easily ask for information from 3rd party's eg isps phone company's google or apple if someone is suspected of committing a criminal offense

• Advertisement

SCOTUS is on a roll now - The impact of the damage done by Trumps picks is going to be felt for decades to come

Last December, the Supreme Court gathered to hear oral arguments in Shinn v. Ramirez, a case that could mean life or death for Barry Jones, who sits on death row in Arizona for the rape and murder of his girlfriend’s 4-year-old daughter, Rachel.

In 2018, a federal court overturned Jones’ conviction, concluding that he had failed to receive effective counsel, a violation of his Sixth Amendment rights. Had that happened, a federal judge ruled, “there is a reasonable probability that his jury would not have convicted him of any of the crimes with which he was charged and previously convicted.”

After losing in the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, Arizona’s attorney general appealed the decision to the Supreme Court. During those oral arguments, state prosecutors repeatedly argued that “innocence isn’t enough” of a reason to throw out Jones’ conviction.

On Monday morning, by a 6-3 vote, the Supreme Court concurred: Barry Jones’ innocence is not enough to keep him off of death row. The state of Arizona can still kill Jones, even if there exists a preponderance of evidence that he committed no crime.

Another decades old Precedent just thrown out.

So now , if you are badly represented and evidence that potentially exonerates you wasn't brought forward by your defence team then you can do nothing about it - If it wasn't part of the original trial , tough.

"Better to execute an innocent person than run the risk of a guilty person getting off on a technicality" seems to be the position taken.

Clarence Thomas wrote the majority opinion saying amongst other things

Thomas justifies the court’s decision by arguing that a federal review imposes “significant costs” on state criminal justice systems that includes potentially overriding “the State’s sovereign power to enforce ‘societal norms through criminal law.’”

This just shows the utter hypocrisy - "You can't kill a fetus, it has rights , but yeah go ahead and execute that innocent person because carrying out due diligence and correcting an earlier miscarriage of justice is just too expensive and so much of a hassle"

Also - While we're here , F*ck the Arizona Attorney General , "Innocence is not enough of a reason to overturn the conviction!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Where do you even start to measure the moral bankruptcy of that Statement??

Post edited by Quin_Dub on

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement